Transformers News: 'Leaked From Cybertron' Early Concepts of Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Prime

Thursday, August 9th, 2018 1:20PM CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 18,652

Courtesy of the official social media channels for the Hasbro Transformers brand, we have a set of three new images and a video, exploring an initial idea for Power of the Primes, its Leader class Evolution gimmick, and something that almost was - with concept toy art by Emiliano Santalucia: vehicle / alt mode combination possibilities!

The image shown below features Rodimus Prime / Hot Rod, and a cadre of deluxes, that seem to be able to attach to the winnebago mode for the Autobot, making him into a Cybertronian jet of sorts (with some echoes of the movieverse spiky designs), with the attachment of another figure that never came to be, speculating it may have been a figure for Prima in the Sky Shadow / Overlord style of molds. Take a look at the images, the clip of John Hasbro Warden, and let us know your thoughts in the comments!

#LeakedFromCybertron: See how the team experimented with some features of the Leader Class Evolution Rodimus Prime figure.

Credit(s): Transformers social media

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: 'Leaked From Cybertron' Early Concepts of Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Prime (1977561)
Posted by Flashwave on August 9th, 2018 @ 1:29pm CDT
Uh, yeah. Some things are probably LEFT on the Cutting Room floor? Why is he wearing the dinobotz?
Re: 'Leaked From Cybertron' Early Concepts of Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Prime (1977562)
Posted by Emerje on August 9th, 2018 @ 1:30pm CDT

Anyway, here's the "Prima" the Va'al mentioned in the article for those that don't know what he's talking about or haven't seen this design before.

Emerje
Re: 'Leaked From Cybertron' Early Concepts of Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Prime (1977563)
Posted by Flashwave on August 9th, 2018 @ 1:32pm CDT
Emerje wrote:That certainly is something different. I always wondered why we didn't get more vehicle combiners (outside of Big Powered) in the Transformers franchise, seemed like the right thing to do since the characters are equal parts robot and vehicles.

Emerje

Ah, okay. thank you for answering that question. Reminicent of the RoTF Fallen figure. I pribably woulda bought a Prima,
Re: 'Leaked From Cybertron' Early Concepts of Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Prime (1977565)
Posted by Emerje on August 9th, 2018 @ 1:36pm CDT
Looking closer, if that Starscream wan't originally intended to be a Voyager Star Saber then I'd be shocked. Also this is the second time we've seen Swoop with proper wing missiles that never made it to the figure. :(

Emerje
Re: 'Leaked From Cybertron' Early Concepts of Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Prime (1977566)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 9th, 2018 @ 1:38pm CDT
Va'al wrote:

:-B
Re: 'Leaked From Cybertron' Early Concepts of Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Prime (1977567)
Posted by mentre83 on August 9th, 2018 @ 1:45pm CDT
The final concept is not too bad. I'm perfectly happy with the more classical-looking toy we got, though.
Re: 'Leaked From Cybertron' Early Concepts of Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Prime (1977571)
Posted by carytheone on August 9th, 2018 @ 1:52pm CDT
Emerje wrote:Also this is the second time we've seen Swoop with proper wing missiles that never made it to the figure. :(

Emerje
Apparently we can't have nice things.
Re: 'Leaked From Cybertron' Early Concepts of Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Prime (1977577)
Posted by Deadput on August 9th, 2018 @ 2:13pm CDT
Alright I'm legit angry that we didn't get that Prima.

*obscure character my afterburner Hasbro, not with the other obscure characters in your toylines*
Re: 'Leaked From Cybertron' Early Concepts of Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Prime (1977580)
Posted by Lunatic Prime on August 9th, 2018 @ 2:27pm CDT
"Somehow" I'm always disappointed when they go the G1 route [-(

And I want a Prima or Megatronus from that concept artwork :BANG_HEAD:
I've seen it before but didn't know who those characters were supposed to be. I thought Prima was maybe Thunderwing. I still want a Leader class Thunderwing :-(

carytheone wrote:

Emerje
Apparently we can't have nice things.

And no thrid party upgrade kit with missiles for Swoop so far :???:
Re: 'Leaked From Cybertron' Early Concepts of Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Prime (1977581)
Posted by Skritz on August 9th, 2018 @ 2:28pm CDT
While I'm glad we got Abominus and, to a lesser extent, Volcanicus I can't help but think POTP should have the Thirteen as regular figures, with Prima, Megatronus and maybe a third guy (Onyx maybe?) as Leader. The rest as voyagers and deluxe would have worked, with Micronus as a Legend.
Re: 'Leaked From Cybertron' Early Concepts of Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Prime (1977582)
Posted by o.supreme on August 9th, 2018 @ 2:33pm CDT
Va'al wrote:

ok, probably a dumb question, but in the top image, since those 5 figures exist, is that a viable combination? I don't have any PotP Leader's, so I can't test it myself. Too bad, that combined vehicle mode would have made me want to purchase the Leader Class. I guess I can just say I just saved myself $250.00

Sabr- Always wanted Big Powered and the Battlestar Combiner, sadly the furthest I ever got was just owning the encore Star Convoy released around 2005/06.
Re: 'Leaked From Cybertron' Early Concepts of Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Prime (1977583)
Posted by Counterpunch on August 9th, 2018 @ 2:50pm CDT
Dhi3QuHUYAAKhdB.jpg

Dhi3WOhUcAEqt2J.jpg
Re: 'Leaked From Cybertron' Early Concepts of Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Prime (1977586)
Posted by Munkky on August 9th, 2018 @ 2:57pm CDT
That Prima jet mode reminds me of movie Fallen's jet mode, I would've loved a Leader toy of that design, either as Prima or the Fallen. As fun as the Prime Master gimmick is,I am disappointed that Power of the Primes didn't have Deluxe, Voyager or Leader toys of any of the Thirteen Primes.
Re: 'Leaked From Cybertron' Early Concepts of Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Prime (1977587)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on August 9th, 2018 @ 3:00pm CDT
Re: 'Leaked From Cybertron' Early Concepts of Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Prime (1977590)
Posted by Counterpunch on August 9th, 2018 @ 3:14pm CDT
Wolfman Jake wrote:Looks nice, Counterpunch! Is that all just stickers (ToyHax/Reprolabels) or is there some custom painting too?

Minerva has a bit of paint on her legs, but everything else is stickers.
Re: 'Leaked From Cybertron' Early Concepts of Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Prime (1977592)
Posted by Emerje on August 9th, 2018 @ 3:41pm CDT
o.supreme wrote:
Va'al wrote:

Well, that's not the actual Starscream design we ended up with, it's way more Star Saber than Starscream. The other three, not really since there's nothing to connect them with. This whole thing could have been conceptualized before they had settled on making them all Combiners. If they had decided on making them Combiners then they might have intended to use their combiner pegs to connect to Rodimus and that's definitely not possible on the final figures.

Emerje
Re: 'Leaked From Cybertron' Early Concepts of Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Prime (1977597)
Posted by Skritz on August 9th, 2018 @ 4:04pm CDT
Now I'm no toy engineer but I think POTP could have made good use of the pre-existing engineering of CW and TR to deliver the Thirteen Primes as actual figures while minimizing the engineering cost. Now granted this would have made such an alternate POTP a very, very different line.

If we can imagine for a moment...

Leader:
Prima: Heavy retool of Overlord like they intended. This guy can be, from the looks of it, re engineered to remove the duocon and titan master gimmick. Maybe could come with the Star Saber as his only acessory?
Megatronus/The Fallen: They wanted to make him a reshell/redeco of Prima. Probably could have come with the Requiem Blaster which would just be a bigass single piece cannon attached to him via 5mm port.
Amalgamous Prime: This guy is near impossible to imagine as a toy....which is why I'd say he could be a full reshell of Six Shot with the Titan Master removed as he ALSO is one such leader-class where you can easily fit a regular head.
Onyx Prime: The only new mold for Leader class. Could turn into some griffin-dragon thing and possibly display the centaur look via only transforming the beast mode's upper part and leaving the four limbs as they are.

Voyager:
The Voyager size is generally where it would be (mostly) new molds for the Thirteen.
Liege Maximo: Probably turns into some kind of spiky tank-thing. Or, fitting his new status as a schemer and liar, turns into a completely mundane-looking ancient cybertronian land vehicle with no apparent weapons.
Nexus Prime: A retool of CW Onslaught/Hotspot, as this guy NEED to be a combiner. And it just so conveniently happen we had a full line of combiners.
Quintus Prime: Could maybe turn into a cybertronian scientific device of some kind?

Deluxe:
Alchemist Prime: Either a retool of someone or maybe he turn into some sort of science-truck. I really don't know what he could be unless they design him to be more like Maccadam.
Solus Prime: Possibly an intense retool of TT Windblade but completely reshelled. Or T30 Chromia, maybe? Would have come with her forge, obviously.
Vector Prime: An intensive retool of TR Triggerhappy/Misfire/Slugslinger to get something more like his Cybertron design.
Thirteen: Could be a new mold...or a heavy retool of T30 Orion Pax.

Legend:
Micronus Prime: Would have probably looked more like a Bakugan than a Transformers, turning into some little ball of...something (as a nod to his design in Covenant) and be full of 5mm ports to interact with bigger figures, essentially making him a 5mm port Mini-Con.

Alpha Trion got a toy in Titans Return so he's not included. Now obviously this is cool to imagine but, alas, it never happened...
Re: 'Leaked From Cybertron' Early Concepts of Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Prime (1977602)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on August 9th, 2018 @ 4:14pm CDT
starrhero wrote:Alright, going a little off topic when it comes to what is currently being talked about on this thread, but still related to PotPie. I do have a question about the release of the Throne of The Primes OpOp release on the Hasbro Toy Shop. That question being, what time will the figure come out on the 13th? I've been have been anticipating a midnight release, yet I don't know when items on the HTS become available to purchase.

I do want to try & get the figure through the HTS & not have to fork up $20 more when I have to focus on other events in the following months & I know that this figure is going to sell out as fast as possible, but still.

I wonder if I'm becoming overly-paranoid when it comes to trying to get this simple exclusive.

:???:

We don't know what time it will become available. Honestly, it's gonna be hard to get him, exclusives like him sell out insanely fast. I would guess sometime around 8AM eastern, but that's just me
Re: 'Leaked From Cybertron' Early Concepts of Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Prime (1977612)
Posted by o.supreme on August 9th, 2018 @ 4:53pm CDT
Unfortunately only Hasbro knows when on the 13th the SDCC exclusives will be made available, and they aren’t telling. Last year at Hascon, they just featured TR Grotusque at a panel that Friday morning and basically said “Go get him now on HTS!” with no warning, and it was sold out in short order.

It is especially difficult for those of us on the west coast. Hypothetically, if it did list at 8am EDT that is 5am PDT, when most people are still asleep. Because Monday morning I have to be to work at 7am, it’s going to be a rough night. I’ll be starting to check at 9pm my time, and waking up every 3 hours to check, hoping I did not miss my window of opportunity.
Re: 'Leaked From Cybertron' Early Concepts of Transformers Power of the Primes Rodimus Prime (1977614)
Posted by Autobot N on August 9th, 2018 @ 4:58pm CDT
Counterpunch wrote:

Minerva has a bit of paint on her legs, but everything else is stickers.
Now I'm sad. I really wanted a TR Minerva, and I just gave my Getaway to my cousin before I found out about this. :(

Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Clobber" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Megatron and Doomshot" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #209 - Under Siege
"Under Siege"
Posted: Sunday, October 7th, 2018

Buy "2016 Transformers Generations Alt-Modes MISBag Series 2 Silver Bumblebee" on EBAY
Buy "2016 Transformers Generations Alt-Modes MISBag Series 2 Silver Cliffjumper" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS COMBINER WARS LEADER CLASS SKYWARP AS SHOWN" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers RID Combiner Force Activator Combiners Sideswipe and Great Byte" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Legion Class Groundbuster" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS CLASSICS DELUXE CLASS WHEELJACK MOC" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS VICTORION 6 FIGURE COMBINER WARS BOXED SET NEW!" on EBAY
Buy "Custom Galvatron Transformers Energon Robots In Disguise" on EBAY