Thursday, October 21st, 2021 9:07pm CDT

Categories: Toy News, Event News
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 37,515

Mark Maher, one of the lead Transformers designers at Hasbro, has made a post on Instagram talking about the upcoming "G1" Bulkhead. He will be presenting this toy and others from Legacy tomorrow at Pulsecon. Speaking of Pulsecon, the schedule has changed There will noe be an entire other Transformers segment dedicated to the entertainment side of things like video games and the Rise of the Beasts film. There will even be a Vince DiCola concert. The details are below. Here is the link to the youtube page where the event will be shown.

"I felt honored to finally be able to make Bulkhead look like he belongs in our G1 universe! Yuta san really helped me make this guy amazing! Be sure to watch me at Pulsecon to talk about the details on these guys!

Transformers News: Legacy Bulkhead Designer Writes about Making him look G1 and More Pulsecon Details

Credit(s): Instagram and Hasbro Pulse

Re: Legacy Bulkhead Designer Writes about Making him look G1 and More Pulsecon Details (2119112)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on October 21st, 2021 @ 10:01pm CDT
Well, thank you for trying, but in this G1 fan's opinion you missed the mark. (No pun intended.) This figure looks more like it belongs in UT or even borderline Cyberverse.

You did well on Skids, though, even if he's a bit simple. Here's hoping the Legacy line gets better from here.
Re: Legacy Bulkhead Designer Writes about Making him look G1 and More Pulsecon Details (2119114)
Posted by william-james88 on October 21st, 2021 @ 10:04pm CDT
Rodimus Prime wrote:You did well on Skids, though, even if he's a bit simple.

Speaking of borderline Cyberverse
Re: Legacy Bulkhead Designer Writes about Making him look G1 and More Pulsecon Details (2119117)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on October 21st, 2021 @ 10:12pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:
Rodimus Prime wrote:You did well on Skids, though, even if he's a bit simple.

Speaking of borderline Cyberverse
The difference is that Bulkhead is a larger figure, thus should be a bit more complex. I'm basing this just on what we have seen so far, but both of these figures seem like they have a very similar transformation. It's a bit easier to get past it on a smaller figure than a larger one. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Re: Legacy Bulkhead Designer Writes about Making him look G1 and More Pulsecon Details (2119118)
Posted by Sabrblade on October 21st, 2021 @ 10:15pm CDT
Re: Legacy Bulkhead Designer Writes about Making him look G1 and More Pulsecon Details (2119120)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on October 21st, 2021 @ 10:21pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:"To 'make Bulkhead look like he belongs in our G1 universe', we trimmed away the fat. Literally! The overweight stockiness that defines Bulkhead's iconic look was the first thing to go. Now he's got the fit physique of a bodybuilder. No fat Transformers allowed!" >:oP
Exactly. It's not like we didn't have fat transformers in G1. Powermaster Prime? Hoist? Trailbreaker? Inferno? Grapple? I'm sure there were some Cons as well, but the point is, 1 of Bulkhead's endearing qualities was that he was roly-poly, while still being a badass fighter. And this Legacy version is like he got some serious stomach stapling. It's like the original versions (both TFA and TFP) got fat-shamed.
Re: Legacy Bulkhead Designer Writes about Making him look G1 and More Pulsecon Details (2119129)
Posted by william-james88 on October 21st, 2021 @ 10:47pm CDT
Rodimus Prime wrote:
william-james88 wrote:
Rodimus Prime wrote:You did well on Skids, though, even if he's a bit simple.

Speaking of borderline Cyberverse

I get the logic, but in practice, the only time that was ever true was with the Bayverse Leaders. Ever since then, complexity hasn't really been higher for larger classes. The first leader in the Generations class was Jetfire and he was not at all more complex than anything below him. Same for Combiner Wars Megatron, SS Grimlock, Siege Shockwave and on. I can't recall anything in the Earthrise line more complex than deluxe Cliffjumper. This Bulkhead seems as complex as fellow voyagers Inferno or Grapple. The big difference is that he looks simple due to the chest being so obviously the truck front and not more in line with the bot's silhouette unlike Inferno or Grapple. But regardless of what I've written I do agree with your criticism though, the end result aint great.

Oddly enough, I never considered Bulkhead fat (not prime one, which is where I first learnt of the character). He was just round and big. He doesn't look fat like a human would (or movie Hound or Leadfoot do) with the larger protruding part being in the belly area. It was just an interesting transformer physique to me, something not seen before either for cybertronians or humans.
Re: Legacy Bulkhead Designer Writes about Making him look G1 and More Pulsecon Details (2119132)
Posted by Burn on October 21st, 2021 @ 11:16pm CDT

Just wait for the associated media where Bulkhead pushes healthy eating habits.
Re: Legacy Bulkhead Designer Writes about Making him look G1 and More Pulsecon Details (2119134)
Posted by Tuned Agent on October 21st, 2021 @ 11:23pm CDT

To be fair, I think his physique has less to do with "no fat Transformers allowed" and more to do with "we need to somehow squeeze an Optimus Prime out of this mold, too".
Re: Legacy Bulkhead Designer Writes about Making him look G1 and More Pulsecon Details (2119135)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on October 21st, 2021 @ 11:33pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:
Wolfman Jake wrote:
william-james88 wrote:
Wolfman Jake wrote:To be fair, we don’t know what the story is yet behind Legacy. It could be that characters native to different universes get reformatted or recontextualized when they come to this G1 inspired universe.

Does the story matter? The story is just there to further sell the toys they were gonna release anyway.

Sometimes, yes. Sometimes no. Transformers Prime was a show first and foremost. The “supporting” toy line came later in development. The Prime toys featured gimmicks that had nothing to do with the actual show. It has and can go either way with Transformers, but nowadays, I’m sure the toys and media are developed in tandem for the most part.

I meant story like how Hasbro frames a generations toyline, not something linked to a cartoon.

Let's not forget that the past SIX Generations toy lines have had tie-in animated shows on various platforms. We may not hear about it for a while yet, but I bet there will be a Legacy show by the end of 2022. The War for Cybertron Trilogy was a success for Netflix and Hasbro. Why stop now? And yes, I know that the show will likely take "liberties" with whatever plotline we get with the toy line proper, but they will still reflect several elements of each other. Like I said earlier, more than likely, the toys and media are being co-developed, and there may be some very intentional story reasons for why characters will look as they do.
Re: Legacy Bulkhead Designer Writes about Making him look G1 and More Pulsecon Details (2119136)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on October 21st, 2021 @ 11:43pm CDT
Rodimus Prime wrote:

Legacy Bulkhead is not intended to fat shame anyone. I'm fat, and this "G1-ified" Bulkhead reminds me of my own physique. I've got a big gut and a broad chest, but my arms and legs are not very thick at all. I kind of like how this new Bulkhead toy is shaped, much like I appreciate Hound's look in the live action movies. Am I fat shaming myself? I certainly hope I never encounter a plastic toy robot that makes me feel that threatened about my own self image and body shape.
Re: Legacy Bulkhead Designer Writes about Making him look G1 and More Pulsecon Details (2119144)
Posted by noctorro on October 22nd, 2021 @ 6:33am CDT
I think Bulkhead looks decent. I love bulky and simple bots and front of vehicle is torso is great.
Maybe we'll get a repaint/tool with a missile pack on the back of the truck, or a generic head version for army building.

I really like Transformers with not too complex transformations. That's just me.
And mixing characters from a specific line with the style of a different line (Prime/Animated with G1/Generations style) is awesome!

Here's hoping they do Energon Wing Saber and Optimus (a bit less fat Optimus).
Energon Optimus is still one of my favorite Optimus figures, the gimmick is cool and the transformation is fun.
Re: Legacy Bulkhead Designer Writes about Making him look G1 and More Pulsecon Details (2119146)
Posted by bengear on October 22nd, 2021 @ 6:47am CDT
when…
the heck…
am I going to get a Gears?

nobody at hasbro has love for my little red and blue grumpypants? If he ever makes the cut, he better have a mask face like the G1 minibot!
Re: Legacy Bulkhead Designer Writes about Making him look G1 and More Pulsecon Details (2119148)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on October 22nd, 2021 @ 7:47am CDT
Tuned Agent wrote:

You nailed it with a sledgehammer.
A shame that Legacy Bulkhead is just a pretool of a repaint/remold family.

As for the character himself, only ANIMATED Bulkhead is "fat". The prime one was more of a classic strongman.

Re: Legacy Bulkhead Designer Writes about Making him look G1 and More Pulsecon Details (2119149)
Posted by Immortal Starscream on October 22nd, 2021 @ 7:54am CDT
Box with legs.

but again, I think it would be a decent fit for Sumo Prime (aka energon optimus for the few who don't know) It just feels wrong for Bulkhead. Maybe if it had the tapered looking cab that the vehicle it is based off of had, it would look better.

However, I won't knock the designer. An attempt was made, within the strict confines of what the company demands, and the result is definitely distinct as a result, and that is never a bad thing. It's just not for me.
Re: Legacy Bulkhead Designer Writes about Making him look G1 and More Pulsecon Details (2119151)
Posted by Mindmaster on October 22nd, 2021 @ 8:11am CDT
Re: Legacy Bulkhead Designer Writes about Making him look G1 and More Pulsecon Details (2119152)
Posted by sol magnus on October 22nd, 2021 @ 8:24am CDT
Mindmaster wrote:Apparently Knock Out will be following Bulkhead’s suit and be a G1-ification with a dash of Barricade, using the same body type as Jazz if the new Wreckers comic cover is to be believed. Which I don’t mind, I liked SS86 Jazz.

That's cool and all, but Xaaron!
Re: Legacy Bulkhead Designer Writes about Making him look G1 and More Pulsecon Details (2119155)
Posted by Cyber Bishop on October 22nd, 2021 @ 10:09am CDT
Jesus there is no pleasing anyone is there.. We should all be lucky that they still cater to the "older fans" and try to give us the best renditions that they can instead of saying F' it and just making simple kiddie toys. F'ing entitled whining fanboys kill everything lets not kill the toys that we love so much, the Transformers line (yes they do pay attention to these fan sites) .
I for on am just glad they are still pushing any kind of product aimed for our demographic and I look forward to getting all the upcoming figures to finish the original G1 line AND some of the newer ones.

Skids is just what I wanted for skids, Bulkhead will make a nice addition to my collection.

Just enjoy that we are still getting Transformers in 2021.. A line that most thought died after Action Masters and G2 way back when.
Re: Legacy Bulkhead Designer Writes about Making him look G1 and More Pulsecon Details (2119164)
Posted by william-james88 on October 22nd, 2021 @ 12:11pm CDT
Pulsecon 2021 is ON! We got 5 new reveals along with what we saw earlier this week. We learnt that in this Legacy line, all energon weapons combine together (unknown if there is a designated full combination) and a new box gimmick is the QR codes, which leads you to the character's web page. There is an image below for you to try out.
You can see the images below for:

Deluxe:
Skids
Dragstrip
Prime Arcee
Kickback

Voyager:
Bulkhead

Leader:
Lazer Optimus Prime

Galvatron Unicron Pack (not under the Legacy line)

Re: Legacy Bulkhead Designer Writes about Making him look G1 and More Pulsecon Details (2119165)
Posted by blackeyedprime on October 22nd, 2021 @ 12:15pm CDT
Skids vehicle mode with the non translucent windows reminds me of a lada. Still skipping it. Dragstrips vehicle mode :( but hopefully some good pics available. Car bots really sem to have suffered with the start of wfc.
Re: Legacy Bulkhead Designer Writes about Making him look G1 and More Pulsecon Details (2119166)
Posted by Autobot_Benz on October 22nd, 2021 @ 12:15pm CDT
Money saved. call me when Tarnataulas and Inferno from BW get released

Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Deluxe Class Arcee Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titan Masters Overboard Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Legends LG37 Ravage & Bullhorn Takara Tomy Japan" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Repugnus" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return MINDWIPE & VORATH Deluxe Headmaster Opened" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations - Starscream, Optimus Prime, Rodimus Prime - NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Titans Return Roadburn (aka Chase) Sealed!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return figure lot - Blurr Hardhead Scourge Skullsmasher" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Bumblebee Cyberverse Adventures Bundle" on EBAY