Looking For Box Art and Instruction Scans

Looking For Box Art and Instruction Scans

Monday, April 23rd, 2007 10:40pm CDT

Category: Site News
Posted by: Hotrod   Views: 9,557

Hey everyone, Seibertron needs a little help with a project that we are starting to put together for Seibertron.com. In a continuing effort to add content that users find interesting Seibertron is looking to add box art from all the Transformers series to the website! However, he needs our help. He is looking for just the box artwork of the characters. He would also love to get scans of the instructions from the back of the boxes as well as any non-G1 or G2 tech specs. Here is how you can help:

1.) Scan images of your Transformers boxes. We would appreciate high res scans if you can get them but, anything you can add helps! Please do not post images from other sites. It needs to be your original work.

2.) Post them in this thread.

So if you are interested in helping just let us know by posting your scans in this thread.

Credit(s): Hotrod

This article was last modified on Monday, July 9th, 2007 7:18pm CDT

Re: Looking For Box Art and Instruction Scans (96005)
Posted by Seibertron on April 23rd, 2007 @ 11:02pm CDT
shockwaveuk wrote:I have the G1 boxart scans. Let me know what you need.

Hey shockwaveuk,

Thank you for posting the images that you have. Unfortunately, those images are from BotchTheCrab.com's website so we can't use those. We're looking for original scans that people make from packaging they own. I'm not necessarily looking to recreate the artwork that you can find on BotchTheCrab because what they do is pretty exceptional and far beyond the call of duty in my book. But I would like us to have cropped artwork from the boxes as well as all of the tech specs here on the site.

I have all of the G1 and G2 tech specs from the Hartman's old site that has been out of commission for several years so we will be using those but that's because that website is no longer around.
Re: Looking For Box Art and Instruction Scans (96010)
Posted by Seibertron on April 23rd, 2007 @ 11:06pm CDT
Scaleface wrote:Some more.

Ah, scans of the cards ... that's something that I've really been wanting to add to the site. I have most of my cards separated from whatever box they came in so that I can do those scans one day when I get around to it.

I keep wanting to take my catalogs down to Kinko's to see if they have a scanner larger enough. My scanner at home is just your standard sized scanner. It's not big enough to do the long catalogs.
Re: Looking For Box Art and Instruction Scans (96011)
Posted by ShGarland_1383 on April 23rd, 2007 @ 11:06pm CDT
Clarification: is this just box art from the toys, or from videos as well?
Re: Looking For Box Art and Instruction Scans (96012)
Posted by Ninja Sixshot on April 23rd, 2007 @ 11:07pm CDT
aw man. i threw most of my cards and inserts away :-( . but if you need some cybertron boxes, id be glad to help
Re: Looking For Box Art and Instruction Scans (96014)
Posted by Seibertron on April 23rd, 2007 @ 11:10pm CDT
Just to make sure that everyone knows what I'm looking for ... please make sure that the scans that you post of things like catalogs and such are not cut off on the sides (such as the text on the paperwork). It's better to do this right the first time than to have to go back and fix things later.

The high-res scans are great. I also liked to see some of the posts of the card backs. I never thought of doing that. I have most of the card backs since Energon and maybe even some from Armada and RID.
Re: Looking For Box Art and Instruction Scans (96017)
Posted by Seibertron on April 23rd, 2007 @ 11:12pm CDT
ShGarland_1383 wrote:Clarification: is this just box art from the toys, or from videos as well?

If you guys are willing to contribute content, I've actually been wanting to put together a section on the site that showcases all of the VHS tapes and DVDs that have been released to date, perhaps even from other countries. It'd be great to get front and back scans of whatever you've got. I have a few old VHS tapes that might be interesting to see posted on the site.

What do you have that you're thinking of contributing, ShGarland?
Re: Looking For Box Art and Instruction Scans (96019)
Posted by ShGarland_1383 on April 23rd, 2007 @ 11:13pm CDT
I don't think my scanner's big enough to do instructions or inserts (although that depends on which line's inserts we're talking about here). I've still got all the sticker/tech spec cards from Armada and Energon though.
Re: Looking For Box Art and Instruction Scans (96028)
Posted by ShGarland_1383 on April 23rd, 2007 @ 11:31pm CDT
Seibertron wrote:

What do you have that you're thinking of contributing, ShGarland?

DVD/CD box art for the following:
The G1 Movie (both Rhyno and Sony versions if you'd like)
The Ultimate Battle DVD
Kiss Players Convoy x Mellisa CD cover/instruction booklet

I also found the movie soundtrack at walmart.com. Lost track of it because I riped it to AAC for my iPod, but that counts too when I find it. (Frankly I should find it anyway, just to take better care of it.)

The Wal-Mart exclusive Sony version also had an iron-on Autobot logo. When you use it, the logo is what I'm using for an avatar here on seibertron.com, if you wanna know how it should come out.
Re: Looking For Box Art and Instruction Scans (96029)
Posted by jgilkinson on April 23rd, 2007 @ 11:31pm CDT
hey i can help with some of the new stuff. Count me in

also i can give one or two of the old vhs box scans...
Re: Looking For Box Art and Instruction Scans (96053)
Posted by ShGarland_1383 on April 24th, 2007 @ 12:03am CDT
Soundtrack CD: Found it. Cover book is able to open up, but it's blank inside.
Re: Looking For Box Art and Instruction Scans (96063)
Posted by Yeti on April 24th, 2007 @ 12:28am CDT

Also, try to match the resolution you scan in to the item, eg. newspaper approx 72dpi, magazines 150dpi, high quality glossy books (eg Transformers Genesis), DVD's and CD covers @ 300dpi. This will then give you a much better quality scan

I know this makes a huge image if scanned at 100% size, but you can always reduce the image size in photoshop or choose to scan it at say 33% etc.

Anyway, great idea guys, I'm gonna go look for stuff. I wont be able to post it till the weekend due to degree assignments.

::EDIT::

Here's the reconstructed cover, I scanned at 300dpi with descreening on and then shrunk via PhotoShop. Saved witha compression factor of 8 in jpg format.

I don't know if you wanna throw some kinda of watermark on it so people can't use it for piretd dvd's etc. I don't wanna see the site get in trouble. Not that 800px is really usable tbh. I'll up the other side in an hour or so.
Re: Looking For Box Art and Instruction Scans (96086)
Posted by johnqsmith on April 24th, 2007 @ 1:02am CDT
I'm not sure if some of you know this, but the transforming instructions for many of the transformers are avail on hasbro's website in PDF form. That said, some of them are of pretty crappy quality so if people were to make new scans in better quality + filling in missing things that would be cool.

Personally I kept all the full boxes & extras for everything since energon, but most of mine are packed away where I can't get to them for a couple months, so I think others will probably fill them in first. If not, I will obviously contribute to the section once it exists.
Re: Looking For Box Art and Instruction Scans (96106)
Posted by Yeti on April 24th, 2007 @ 1:28am CDT
More scans. If you want them in higher quality let me know. The board only allows upto 256kb and any appreciable increase in size to these scans (whilst keeping the quality) results in a larger than allowed limit.
Re: Looking For Box Art and Instruction Scans (96121)
Posted by Yeti on April 24th, 2007 @ 2:03am CDT
And because the max amount of images is 10 here's the last two of the Chinese semi-professional bootleg Headmasters.
Re: Looking For Box Art and Instruction Scans (96130)
Posted by shortround on April 24th, 2007 @ 2:15am CDT
Is this what you are looking for
Re: Looking For Box Art and Instruction Scans (96145)
Posted by ShGarland_1383 on April 24th, 2007 @ 2:40am CDT
Yeti wrote:ShGarland_1383, if you want to get rid of that checkerboard pattern, in your scanning scoftware, turn descreening on. That takes away the moire effect.
Problem is how do I do that? Can't figure it out.
Re: Looking For Box Art and Instruction Scans (96148)
Posted by Yeti on April 24th, 2007 @ 3:00am CDT
It varies depending on the software. it's generally just a small button, possibly under advanced options.
Re: Looking For Box Art and Instruction Scans (96192)
Posted by Xephon on April 24th, 2007 @ 4:39am CDT
Re: Looking For Box Art and Instruction Scans (96194)
Posted by D-340 on April 24th, 2007 @ 4:52am CDT
I'd love to help, problem is I don't have a scanner. I got tech specs and instructions ranging from Beast Wars to current. Any suggestions?
Re: Looking For Box Art and Instruction Scans (96227)
Posted by Hoistimus on April 24th, 2007 @ 5:45am CDT
I have almost all the boxes and cards from Armada and some other series, I'll scan and post them tonight if I can get the time. I may just upload them to my photobucket account or something..

Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Ultra Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #275 - Non-Fungible Mailbag
"Non-Fungible Mailbag"
Posted: Saturday, May 1st, 2021

Buy "Transformers Earthrise War For Cybertron Trilogy Bombshock And Growl New" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Scorponok Triple Changer & Fast Track" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue bots Morbot" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Lot of 2 Flip Racers Bumblebee & Blurr" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Racing Trailer Optimus Prime missing trailer" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Selects WFC-GS02 Voyager Red Wing Exclusive Figure NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Optimus Prime Transformers Heroes Epic Rescue Bots Action Figure Large 2013 22"" on EBAY