Lorenzo di Bonaventura talks Unicron/ Minicons for TF3

Lorenzo di Bonaventura talks Unicron/ Minicons for TF3

Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009 3:10pm CDT

Categories: Movie Related News, People News, Interviews
Posted by: First Gen   Views: 28,061

In an exclusive interview at Rotten Tomatoes, Transformers movie producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura sat down and talked about some issues that were raised with Transformers Revenge of the Fallen and the possibility of certain characters making an appearance in Transformers 3.

Di Bonaventura was very open about certain questions regarding ROTF, such as movie critic reviews and how the twins characters ,Skids and Mudflap, have been met with certain distaste.

Di Bonavetura said,"Everybody has to put their own lens on these things. The intention was certainly not how some people perceived it... I'll put it that way."

He also said some things about the planetformer Unicron being in the third installment of the franchise and the introduction of minicons. You'll have to read the interview to see what he said though. You can see it by clicking here.

Credit(s): Rotten Tomatoes

Re: Lorenzo di Bonaventura talks Unicron/ Minicons for TF3 (959764)
Posted by RodimusConvoy13 on July 22nd, 2009 @ 3:27pm CDT

That would have made the move sooooo much better/. :grin:
Re: Lorenzo di Bonaventura talks Unicron/ Minicons for TF3 (959767)
Posted by omegaprowl on July 22nd, 2009 @ 3:33pm CDT
With devastator now probably being hte biggest CGI object in any movie, if they put Unicron in the third movie at his actual size, thats def gonna be one huge piece of CGI!!!!!

Personally i dont see any use for the minicons in this franchise, in the toons they were there mainly because they were small enough for the kids to ride in, since the autobots are actual car size when they are in vehicle mode, what the heck are the minicons gonna turn into?? RC cars like wheelie?? and what would they turn into, i mean other then robots obviously; guns, swords or sheilds?

i say, toy with using unicron, screw the minicons.

Hell i wanna see prowl, ultra magnus, hot rod, cyclonus, more of soundwave, springer, even another combiner, heck two if they can afford it (autobots: Defensor or Superion Vs decepticon: Bruticus or Menasor)
Re: Lorenzo di Bonaventura talks Unicron/ Minicons for TF3 (959769)
Posted by Ronynus Prime on July 22nd, 2009 @ 3:35pm CDT
RodimusConvoy13 wrote:I really wanted ROTF to end with a battered Megatron and Starscream floating through space. Then a bright light and big, booming voice... "Welcome, Megatron...."

That would have made the move sooooo much better/. :grin:

Man, I fully agree... I loved RotF, but that sort of ending would have sent everyone through the roof with excitement. Wow. RodimusConvoy should direct the sequel. lol. Or at least let's get an animated epilogue like that on the Blu Ray release a la Hellboy 2.

=P~
Re: Lorenzo di Bonaventura talks Unicron/ Minicons for TF3 (959773)
Posted by skywarp-2 on July 22nd, 2009 @ 3:39pm CDT
Unicron would be kinda cool, but he makes good points about it appealing to the masses.. ROTF was touted by many as a fan boy love fest, so I can see where he and the studio is coming from..

on the whole, I don't see anything to make a big fuss about.. he said that eh likes minicons, but never that they would be in transformers 3, and that he thinks Unicron is quite large and imposing..he never said Bay wasn't going to not direct the 3rd movie.. so nothing really truly earth shattering in this interview..IMHO
Re: Lorenzo di Bonaventura talks Unicron/ Minicons for TF3 (959776)
Posted by Dclone Soundwave on July 22nd, 2009 @ 3:41pm CDT
Unicron? YES. Minicons? Absolutely not. Bring on the Planet Eater.
Re: Lorenzo di Bonaventura talks Unicron/ Minicons for TF3 (959780)
Posted by RodimusConvoy13 on July 22nd, 2009 @ 3:44pm CDT
PlasmaPrime wrote:

That would have made the move sooooo much better/. :grin:

=P~

I also have the perfect ending for Smallville plotted out in my head... Guess I need to move to Hollywood. :grin: :grin:
Re: Lorenzo di Bonaventura talks Unicron/ Minicons for TF3 (959787)
Posted by Mkall on July 22nd, 2009 @ 3:51pm CDT
No Unicron, no Minicons please

kthxbye
Re: Lorenzo di Bonaventura talks Unicron/ Minicons for TF3 (959790)
Posted by RodimusConvoy13 on July 22nd, 2009 @ 3:55pm CDT
Mkall wrote:No Unicron, no Minicons please

kthxbye

no Unicron??? are you sure you're a Transformers fan? :grin: :grin:
Re: Lorenzo di Bonaventura talks Unicron/ Minicons for TF3 (959792)
Posted by Primus1101 on July 22nd, 2009 @ 3:57pm CDT
"I think if you go to Unicron, you're going to end up sacrificing your human characters. And for me that worries me because I like the human characters."

Is Lorenzo his first name? I'll call him Lorenzo for now. He may like the human characters but WE DON'T! I'm serious! Sam and Mikaela, their parents, Leo, Simmons, all the humans in ROTF were worthless. We need more of the soldiers. Sam and Mikaela created a pointless sub-plot: the whole "I love you" thing. I didn't care for it. If anyone agrees with me, cool. But seriously, we need WAY less of the humans. He may like the humans, but I would have rather saw more between the robots. Like the scene with Ratchet and Ironhide in the first movie where Ratchet walks into the phone cables. We need more of those moments! The Twins, some more of them in the next movie! Not as much as this one, just a little more! And I won't even bother talking about Sideswipe, Jolt and the Arcee bikes! And as for the Decepticons, I ain't even gonna say anything on them cus in the movie, they were a joke apart from the Megatron-Starscream scenes and the fight scenes.

So, all-in-all, keep the humans: But make them vital to the plot. Hows about for TF3 they are all soldiers now and they are part of a war between Earth and the Decepticons. And it's set 10-20 years after the first two movies. Anyone agree? And if your reading this, Mr. Producer, I have one thing to say: MAKE SURE WE GET ACTUAL CHARACTERS NEXT TIME!!! NOT CANNON FODDER!!! :MAD: :MAD: :MAD: And whoever said that thing about them in space and Unicron, I agree! You sir have my respect. Next time I need help writing a TF Script, I'll come to you for help! :P

And there's my two cents, so how is everyone? :)
Re: Lorenzo di Bonaventura talks Unicron/ Minicons for TF3 (959797)
Posted by Jacob P. Galvatron on July 22nd, 2009 @ 4:11pm CDT
Coming Summer 20XX: Transformers Armada: The Movie.
Collect the toys!
Same molds from last time, but with Minicon pegs now!
YAY!

Oh God, no Minicons please. :(
Re: Lorenzo di Bonaventura talks Unicron/ Minicons for TF3 (959801)
Posted by YRQRM0 on July 22nd, 2009 @ 4:21pm CDT
Mini-cons would rock. I love Armada. Although I can't see mini-cons without some kind of existence of Unicron.
Also, The Mini-cons would have to talk, beeping with subtitles would be kinda boring.
Re: Lorenzo di Bonaventura talks Unicron/ Minicons for TF3 (959810)
Posted by chevymantf on July 22nd, 2009 @ 4:32pm CDT
:-x :-x NO NO NO I will not accept another transformers movie if it is directed by michael bay. I fuckin hated rotf he is the worst director for transformers and i will not support or anybody else should support michael bay's transformers! :evil: :evil:
Re: Lorenzo di Bonaventura talks Unicron/ Minicons for TF3 (959816)
Posted by Alex Jones on July 22nd, 2009 @ 4:42pm CDT
YRQRM0 wrote:I agree about taking away from the human characters. Obviously, we HERE hate them, but when you're talking about a worldwide movie, you have to consider what appeals to the general audience (aka, what makes more money). Without all the lame hideous human jokes and stuff, the movie probably would have lost a huge chunk of it's non-transformer fan viewers, so I see what he's saying. And I just can't see how they would pull off any meaningful story/scenes/cgi with a planet-sized bot.....

TRUTH!

I also feel that if they did bring out Unicron that would pretty much be the end the series because you can't really top Unicron afterwards. I for one would like to see this movie franchise to go on. But I all for bringing out Omega Supreme.
Re: Lorenzo di Bonaventura talks Unicron/ Minicons for TF3 (959817)
Posted by Alex Jones on July 22nd, 2009 @ 4:43pm CDT
chevymantf wrote::-x :-x NO NO NO I will not accept another transformers movie if it is directed by michael bay. I **** hated rotf he is the worst director for transformers and i will not support or anybody else should support michael bay's transformers! :evil: :evil:

In all honesty, Bay was born to direct Transformers. You watch his previous movies and the G1 cartoon and you will see common styles in both of them.

EDIT: The only people they need to replace are the writers.
Re: Lorenzo di Bonaventura talks Unicron/ Minicons for TF3 (959827)
Posted by chevymantf on July 22nd, 2009 @ 4:56pm CDT
Lousy_Autobot_Lover wrote:

EDIT: The only people they need to replace are the writers.

michael bay and the writers need to be replaced i have season 1 on dvd and i saw the similarities that were in the movies but transformers still arent getting thier justice when comes to the live action films. Why are the transformers still second to the humans?? I understand that the autobots have human friends like sam and mikaela but the roomate, simmons, the parents, and the military??
The military took most of the screen time in the ending battle and making the autobots completely useless. Devastator didn't shit either i was expecting a big face off between all the autobots vs devastator but instead we get skids and mudflap, michael bay WTF??? We need a real transformers fan to direct and rewrite both movies beacuase the first one was not that great either :twisted: :twisted:
Re: Lorenzo di Bonaventura talks Unicron/ Minicons for TF3 (959830)
Posted by Primus1101 on July 22nd, 2009 @ 5:00pm CDT
chevymantf wrote:
Lousy_Autobot_Lover wrote:

EDIT: The only people they need to replace are the writers.

You sir, should read some scripts I'm working on. The Transformers ain't second to no-one here! Hell, I find difficulty in writing human scenes apart from military scenes.
Re: Lorenzo di Bonaventura talks Unicron/ Minicons for TF3 (959835)
Posted by Alex Jones on July 22nd, 2009 @ 5:16pm CDT
chevymantf wrote:
Lousy_Autobot_Lover wrote:

EDIT: The only people they need to replace are the writers.

if anyone wants the Transformers to be first in front of the humans, then be open to having A list stars to lend the voices to the Transformers, which means no Peter Cullen and yes to say someone like Denzel Washington.
Re: Lorenzo di Bonaventura talks Unicron/ Minicons for TF3 (959837)
Posted by DCybertron on July 22nd, 2009 @ 5:18pm CDT
chevymantf wrote:
Lousy_Autobot_Lover wrote:

EDIT: The only people they need to replace are the writers.

It's not Bay's fault, It's the writers. Bay only directs.
Re: Lorenzo di Bonaventura talks Unicron/ Minicons for TF3 (959848)
Posted by oldskooltf on July 22nd, 2009 @ 5:35pm CDT
There will be humans in every transformer live action movie... Budget calls for it and also because if a movie only had robots, then only the fanboys would come and it wouldn't make enough money, etc...

I'm a little torn on who is more at fault for the parts of RotF that many of us did not like. For the humor, I initially want to blame Bay -- but having said that, I actually did like SOME of the humor, but certainly not all of it. As for the plot... I didn't have major problems with it other than maybe give more time to developing / explaining it and compensate for this by dialing down the sexual humor. Just a thought.

The CGI was awesome, but to do Unicron RIGHT, it's going to take a huge budget, I would guess.

I'd rather see Dinobots (at least Grimlock) and maybe even insecticons (but I guess it could be argued that we got a little of them in RotF). Bring Soundwave to earth, give us Shockwave on Cybertron, and resurrect the constructicons to form Devastator to fight Omega Supreme. Of course I'll love any other combiner or Perceptor, Blaster, Astrotrain, Blitzwing, Ultra Magnus, Rodimus, Cyclonus, etc... The inital issue is definitely going to be plot, and that will dictate a lot on what Robots show up and which get major roles.

I don't have any problem with cannon fodder deceps at the end of RotF. We had them in the original cartoon, they just happened to be clone jets instead of clone constructicons and protoform deceps.

I'm guessing they're going to have to go to the comics again to get GOOD plot elements for the 3rd movie.

As far as Unicron goes... bring him in when it's time for the LAST movie -- I'm hoping it won't be the 3rd.
Re: Lorenzo di Bonaventura talks Unicron/ Minicons for TF3 (959852)
Posted by Jetstorm92210 on July 22nd, 2009 @ 5:40pm CDT
Minicons? If they didn't work in Energon, Cybertron and Classics, why the hell do you want them in TF3.
Now, if we talk about Cyber planet keys and Prowl...

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warriors Class Sideswipe Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Skytread" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #268 - Call Me 2020
"Call Me 2020"
Posted: Monday, January 18th, 2021

Buy "Transformers: Age Of Extinction- Hammer Strike Snarl" on EBAY
Buy "KBB Transformers GT-05 Optimus Prime MP-10 G1 Pocket Size Combat commander-12cm" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Transformers Mr Potato Head Bumble Spud Collectible Children’s Toy" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Dinobot Slog Voyager Class Age of Extinction Hasbro NEW SEALED" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Combiner Force Dragstrip Wildbreak Dragbreak" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Revenge of The Fallen Bumble Spud Mr. Potato Head" on EBAY