Mairghread Scott Introduces the Transformers to Windblade - Interview

Mairghread Scott Introduces the Transformers to Windblade - Interview

Monday, March 3rd, 2014 12:43pm CST

Categories: Comic Book News, People News, Interviews
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 25,707

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

We have already heard about new fan-built Transformers character Windblade, but comics news website ComicBookResources was also able to have a chat with writer Mairghread Scott about what's to come in the four-issue mini-series set on Cybertron! Read excerpts below, and the whole thing here.

In the wake of the "Dark Cybertron" crossover, the various Transformers are in disarray. And things are about to get even more interesting for the characters, as writer Mairghread Scott and artist Sarah Stone -- the first all-female creative team to ever work on a Transformers series -- will soon be hitting them with the imminent arrival of Windblade.

The first "fan-built bot" created through a number of polls on Hasbro's website, Windblade's design, features and abilities were all decided by the general public and brought to life by Hasbro designer Lenny Panzica. The sword-wielding, jet-powered female Transformer looks set to cause a whole load of trouble for the rest of Cyberton's sons and daughters in her own four-issue, self-titled miniseries due to kick off in April. Scott spoke to CBR about her plans for the character -- and just what her arrival means for IDW Publishing's Transformers Universe as a whole.


CBR News: Windblade arrived in the IDW Transformers continuity during the recent "Dark Cybertron" crossover event. Following that story, what kind of state are the Autobots and Decepticons in as this miniseries kicks off? How are they recovering -- or not -- from the event?

Mairghread Scott: I don't think it spoils anything to say that things get a little, well -- dark by the end of "Dark Cybertron" and the whole event has very much demoralized the entire planet. Fighting an endless war is tiring, but there are only so many times you can rebuild your home-world before you start to feel like things just aren't gonna get any better.

But, in a way, this is also the perfect time to introduce a new character like Windblade because she's seeing so many things for the first time. There's an old saying that "evil triumphs when good men do nothing," and "Transformers Windblade" is just as much about the danger of staying on the sidelines as it is about evil itself.

[...]

She was created after winning a fan-poll from Hasbro which asked fan to help create a new character. How exciting was it to have the chance to introduce and establish a character into continuity?

It was extremely exciting. The moment they announced Windblade, I told John Barber that I was calling dibs on her if she made it to the comics. It's nice to see that still works. But, in all seriousness, it really is amazing to feel like Sarah and I are getting to make a little bit of Transformers history. We get to bring in a whole new character (and hopefully a new readership) to our favorite brand; we're pulling out all the stops to make sure Windblade earns a spot in Transformers for a long time to come.

[...]

There are other female Transformers, but the majority of them are identified as male. Are you interested in writing and exploring that in this series? Do the other characters treat her differently for being a female, or do they not even notice?

Obviously, Starscream's gonna use any kind of wedge issue he can -- because he's Starscream.

But Cybertronians in general are less interested in that kind of thing, and that's something I really love about the brand. Think about it: If you're fighting another Transformer, it's a lot more crucial to know what they turn into (tank, jet, flash drive) than what pronoun they use. Characters who don't know Windblade are obviously curious about who she is, but who she is, is so much more than "female."

Credit(s): CBR


News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: Mairghread Scott Introduces the Transformers to Windblade - Interview (1554788)
Posted by 1984forever on March 3rd, 2014 @ 5:39pm CST
I'm not understanding this suddenly so urgent need to put more Cybertronian T&A into the comics (and games). First off, she's an AUTObot ... So why is she a jet? If she is too stupid to know what faction she should be how is she going to make any sense out of what's happening on Cybertron? Secondly, this political crap on Cybertron is lame... the series is not going to last more than 12 issues. I blame the fandom for this mess. If they had the decency to beat off to a porno before polling, Windblade would have never been voted into existence!
Re: Mairghread Scott Introduces the Transformers to Windblade - Interview (1554796)
Posted by Treetop Maximus on March 3rd, 2014 @ 7:16pm CST
>the first all-female creative team to ever work on a Transformers series

Don't care.

Let's focus less on being progressive and more on good stories. I don't really care that there's a few new female characters in the universe or that the people working on this are women. Just give me a plausible explanation for the characters' presence and a story that's not really meh like those Rage of the Dinobots and Beast Hunters comics and I'll be happy.
Re: Mairghread Scott Introduces the Transformers to Windblade - Interview (1554811)
Posted by Flashwave on March 3rd, 2014 @ 9:42pm CST
84forever wrote:I'm not understanding this suddenly so urgent need to put more Cybertronian T&A into the comics (and games). First off, she's an AUTObot ... So why is she a jet? If she is too stupid to know what faction she should be how is she going to make any sense out of what's happening on Cybertron? Secondly, this political crap on Cybertron is lame... the series is not going to last more than 12 issues. I blame the fandom for this mess. If they had the decency to beat off to a porno before polling, Windblade would have never been voted into existence!


That never phased Victory Saber, being a jet.or Silverbolt. Ooh! Powerglide, he was a plane too!

Also, some of us enjoy the societal workings of Cybertron. These are living aliens, they have a culture, even if it does revolve around killing eachother. Lets see what lifexand death means to them, and what. The universe means to them. Lets have some thoughtful, deep Star Trek type moments. We've done the "Megatron turns into a gun. Megatron shoots Optimus Prime! Itsnot very effective..." schtick over... and over... and over... again and again and again...
Re: Mairghread Scott Introduces the Transformers to Windblade - Interview (1554812)
Posted by Mindmaster on March 3rd, 2014 @ 9:47pm CST
84forever wrote:stuff


Dude, not cool. Please refrain from using that kind of language here on Seibertron.com. Remember, we have youngin's posting here too. Keep it classy, not crass-y.

First off, she's an AUTObot ... So why is she a jet? If she is too stupid to know what faction she should be how is she going to make any sense out of what's happening on Cybertron?


I would name every Autobot flier I could think of, but we'd be here for days. >:oP

Well, not literally, but you get the point.
Re: Mairghread Scott Introduces the Transformers to Windblade - Interview (1554813)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 3rd, 2014 @ 9:53pm CST
Flashwave wrote:
84forever wrote:I'm not understanding this suddenly so urgent need to put more Cybertronian T&A into the comics (and games). First off, she's an AUTObot ... So why is she a jet? If she is too stupid to know what faction she should be how is she going to make any sense out of what's happening on Cybertron? Secondly, this political crap on Cybertron is lame... the series is not going to last more than 12 issues. I blame the fandom for this mess. If they had the decency to beat off to a porno before polling, Windblade would have never been voted into existence!


That never phased Victory Saber, being a jet.or Silverbolt. Ooh! Powerglide, he was a plane too!
Mindmaster wrote:
First off, she's an AUTObot ... So why is she a jet? If she is too stupid to know what faction she should be how is she going to make any sense out of what's happening on Cybertron?


I would name every Autobot flier I could think of, but we'd be here for days. >:oP

Well, not literally, but you get the point.
Unfortunately, he's stuck living in 1984 that nothing past it applies to his ideals, including the plane-based Autobot of 1985: Powerglide. :roll:
Re: Mairghread Scott Introduces the Transformers to Windblade - Interview (1554815)
Posted by Real Cool Guy on March 3rd, 2014 @ 9:57pm CST
84forever wrote:I'm not understanding this suddenly so urgent need to put more Cybertronian T&A into the comics (and games). First off, she's an AUTObot ... So why is she a jet? If she is too stupid to know what faction she should be how is she going to make any sense out of what's happening on Cybertron? Secondly, this political crap on Cybertron is lame... the series is not going to last more than 12 issues. I blame the fandom for this mess. If they had the decency to beat off to a porno before polling, Windblade would have never been voted into existence!


Hey did you know that female characters in comics can be there for, I dunno, reasons that aren't T&A? That Autobots aren't just cars? The underlying misogyny in your post is pretty appalling. You should honestly be ashamed of yourself.

Treetop Maximus wrote:>the first all-female creative team to ever work on a Transformers series

Don't care.

Let's focus less on being progressive and more on good stories. I don't really care that there's a few new female characters in the universe or that the people working on this are women. Just give me a plausible explanation for the characters' presence and a story that's not really meh like those Rage of the Dinobots and Beast Hunters comics and I'll be happy.


This is actually a fairly important milestone, actually. I don't want to assume you're a straight, white male, but generally speaking it is harder for women to break in to comics, let alone on larger, predominantly male (straight, white) creative teams. So I wouldn't be so quick to disregard this, honestly. It might not be a big deal to you, but that's no excuse to be so snide/dismissive of this.

I have no doubt in my mind that IDW picked Scott because her ideas and the story she wants to tell meshes with the direction IDW have been taking Transformers, so I'd like to think that the people responsible for probably the best two years of Transformers comics in recently history know what they're doing/pick their collaborators well.
Re: Mairghread Scott Introduces the Transformers to Windblade - Interview (1554816)
Posted by Burn on March 3rd, 2014 @ 10:02pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:Unfortunately, he's stuck living in 1984 that nothing past it applies to his ideals, including the plane-based Autobot of 1985: Powerglide. :roll:


Digs like this can be construed as personal attacks, let's not go down that path.
Re: Mairghread Scott Introduces the Transformers to Windblade - Interview (1554863)
Posted by Dead Metal on March 4th, 2014 @ 2:55am CST
Burn wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:Unfortunately, he's stuck living in 1984 that nothing past it applies to his ideals, including the plane-based Autobot of 1985: Powerglide. :roll:


Digs like this can be construed as personal attacks, let's not go down that path.

But it's true, he actually stated so himself the last time he posted on a topic and it'S in his name.
Re: Mairghread Scott Introduces the Transformers to Windblade - Interview (1554864)
Posted by Va'al on March 4th, 2014 @ 3:00am CST
Real Cool Guy wrote:
Treetop Maximus wrote:>the first all-female creative team to ever work on a Transformers series

Don't care.

Let's focus less on being progressive and more on good stories. I don't really care that there's a few new female characters in the universe or that the people working on this are women. Just give me a plausible explanation for the characters' presence and a story that's not really meh like those Rage of the Dinobots and Beast Hunters comics and I'll be happy.


This is actually a fairly important milestone, actually. I don't want to assume you're a straight, white male, but generally speaking it is harder for women to break in to comics, let alone on larger, predominantly male (straight, white) creative teams. So I wouldn't be so quick to disregard this, honestly. It might not be a big deal to you, but that's no excuse to be so snide/dismissive of this.

I have no doubt in my mind that IDW picked Scott because her ideas and the story she wants to tell meshes with the direction IDW have been taking Transformers, so I'd like to think that the people responsible for probably the best two years of Transformers comics in recently history know what they're doing/pick their collaborators well.


Not to mention that Scott is a good writer. Look at the first two issues of Beast Hunters (which were really not that meh at all), look at the Prime episodes she wrote: 'Chain of Command', 'Hard Knocks', 'Hurt', 'Orion Pax: Part 2', 'Stronger, Faster'.

And yes, the fact that it's the first ever all female creator team on a Transformers comic is important. In 30 years of the franchise, this is the first time! Do you know how many women are in the fandom? Do you know how many women have only had a handful of characters to relate to, and no writers? This is a massive step in the right direction, and one that every fan should welcome. :D
Re: Mairghread Scott Introduces the Transformers to Windblade - Interview (1554865)
Posted by Dead Metal on March 4th, 2014 @ 3:12am CST
Va'al wrote:
Real Cool Guy wrote:
Treetop Maximus wrote:>the first all-female creative team to ever work on a Transformers series

Don't care.

Let's focus less on being progressive and more on good stories. I don't really care that there's a few new female characters in the universe or that the people working on this are women. Just give me a plausible explanation for the characters' presence and a story that's not really meh like those Rage of the Dinobots and Beast Hunters comics and I'll be happy.


This is actually a fairly important milestone, actually. I don't want to assume you're a straight, white male, but generally speaking it is harder for women to break in to comics, let alone on larger, predominantly male (straight, white) creative teams. So I wouldn't be so quick to disregard this, honestly. It might not be a big deal to you, but that's no excuse to be so snide/dismissive of this.

I have no doubt in my mind that IDW picked Scott because her ideas and the story she wants to tell meshes with the direction IDW have been taking Transformers, so I'd like to think that the people responsible for probably the best two years of Transformers comics in recently history know what they're doing/pick their collaborators well.


Not to mention that Scott is a good writer. Look at the first two issues of Beast Hunters (which were really not that meh at all), look at the Prime episodes she wrote: 'Chain of Command', 'Hard Knocks', 'Hurt', 'Orion Pax: Part 2', 'Stronger, Faster'.

And yes, the fact that it's the first ever all female creator team on a Transformers comic is important. In 30 years of the franchise, this is the first time! Do you know how many women are in the fandom? Do you know how many women have only had a handful of characters to relate to, and no writers? This is a massive step in the right direction, and one that every fan should welcome. :D

Yup, I went a little mental yesterday and bought all the TF Prime FOC related collections on comixology just to check out her writing. Sure not all are her's but I want to know what came before her's.
Plus Grimlock'Ss always awesome.
Re: Mairghread Scott Introduces the Transformers to Windblade - Interview (1554868)
Posted by Henry921 on March 4th, 2014 @ 5:42am CST
Scott has talent; of that I have no doubt. But she can be hit and miss, as evidenced by the latter issues of Beast Hunters and even as early as Chapter 3 of Rage of the Dinobots, where her story either goes off the rails or includes a false conclusion or a plot twist that doesn't actually go anywhere (looking at you, Ser-Ket coming back to life only to die again two pages later). I do think she has a very solid grasp of the characters and her dialogue is always good, but the story structure doesn't always mesh coherently.

Whatever Hasbro edicts are in place for Windblade may be hindering her further... :-?

Since I'm planning on getting the toy, I'll read the first issue of the miniseries and decide whether or not to get the TPB afterwards. >:oP


And while I'm glad there are more women working on Transformers fiction, I really wish it was a mundane occurrence rather than some progressive event we should all embrace, because (to my perception, anyway) the author's gender should be wholly irrelevant when writing about space robots transforming into fire breathing dinosaurs.
Re: Mairghread Scott Introduces the Transformers to Windblade - Interview (1554870)
Posted by Banjo-Tron on March 4th, 2014 @ 5:58am CST
Henry921 wrote:And while I'm glad there are more women working on Transformers fiction, I really wish it was a mundane occurrence rather than some progressive event we should all embrace, because (to my perception, anyway) the author's gender should be wholly irrelevant when writing about space robots transforming into fire breathing dinosaurs.

Agreed. Real equality is when no-one bats an eyelid regarding your age/gender/race/sexuality etc and just accepts you do a damn fine job. It's interesting because over the last 5 years or so there are waaay more females attending Auto Assembly here in the UK, which I feel is because the rampant machismo and objectification of women present in the movies hasn't influenced the comics overtly. Or then again, perhaps it's because they want a piece of Nick Roche and his unfeasibly tight t-shirts 8)
Re: Mairghread Scott Introduces the Transformers to Windblade - Interview (1554889)
Posted by Real Cool Guy on March 4th, 2014 @ 9:28am CST
Banjo-Tron wrote:
Henry921 wrote:And while I'm glad there are more women working on Transformers fiction, I really wish it was a mundane occurrence rather than some progressive event we should all embrace, because (to my perception, anyway) the author's gender should be wholly irrelevant when writing about space robots transforming into fire breathing dinosaurs.

Agreed. Real equality is when no-one bats an eyelid regarding your age/gender/race/sexuality etc and just accepts you do a damn fine job. It's interesting because over the last 5 years or so there are waaay more females attending Auto Assembly here in the UK, which I feel is because the rampant machismo and objectification of women present in the movies hasn't influenced the comics overtly. Or then again, perhaps it's because they want a piece of Nick Roche and his unfeasibly tight t-shirts 8)


Real equality doesn't exist though, so I think it is important to highlight when things start to shift in another direction, because it allows for people to discuss these sorts in a context relevant to them (ie the role/lack thereof of women in Transformers, as a fiction and a franchise). It allows people to potentially re-assess their own view of women/gender in general via lively discussion I guess.

Though yeah I do agree it should be, in an ideal world, a non-event. But it isn't, and won't be, for a long, long time.

Edit: Another thing I want to address is the idea of an authors gender/race/etc not making a difference to stories about fantastic or otherworldly things, and I think I would have to politely disagree. I mean, the same argument could be made that stories about fire breathing space robot dinosaurs don't need in-depth political and social structures that resemble, in parts, things that have happened on earth. But they did, and it's been fantastic for the brand. So it wouldn't surprise me if Barber/Roberts/Roche/etc had an interest in social and political history that helped shape and influence the direction of the universe they are creating. Now that gender (in an alien environment not too dissimilar to our own) is going to be tackled, I think it makes total sense to get someone who has experience in being another gender, with being an outsider for something they did not choose. I'm not saying that Scott is a good fit BECAUSE she is a woman, but I do believe that being a woman will really help in telling an interesting story.

Or not who knows laffo
Re: Mairghread Scott Introduces the Transformers to Windblade - Interview (1554906)
Posted by shockblast2 on March 4th, 2014 @ 11:25am CST
Hey, speak for yourselves. I am a fan and I had nothing to do with this so called "fan built" abomination they call a Transformer. The damn thing looks like some sort of human being rather than a transformer. It belongs in the realm of Bayformers, not IDW.
Re: Mairghread Scott Introduces the Transformers to Windblade - Interview (1554915)
Posted by Moonshot on March 4th, 2014 @ 12:01pm CST
Treetop Maximus wrote:>the first all-female creative team to ever work on a Transformers series

Don't care.

Let's focus less on being progressive and more on good stories. I don't really care that there's a few new female characters in the universe or that the people working on this are women. Just give me a plausible explanation for the characters' presence and a story that's not really meh like those Rage of the Dinobots and Beast Hunters comics and I'll be happy.


I agree, just give us good stories without shoving PC down our throats. I just like Transformer stories I don't care who writes them.
Re: Mairghread Scott Introduces the Transformers to Windblade - Interview (1554916)
Posted by Va'al on March 4th, 2014 @ 12:02pm CST
The poll was public.

And for the record, Windblade, Chromia and Nautica have been brought into the franchise by (male) writers Barber and Roberts. Scott is the (female) writer in charge of the mini-series.
Re: Mairghread Scott Introduces the Transformers to Windblade - Interview (1554921)
Posted by Noideaforaname on March 4th, 2014 @ 12:25pm CST
"Shoving PC down our throats" is kinda unavoidable when the comics have had an embargo on female robots for so long then suddenly have to give a (brand new, non-Arcee) female robot the spotlight.
Re: Mairghread Scott Introduces the Transformers to Windblade - Interview (1554923)
Posted by Va'al on March 4th, 2014 @ 12:26pm CST
Real Cool Guy wrote:
Banjo-Tron wrote:
Henry921 wrote:And while I'm glad there are more women working on Transformers fiction, I really wish it was a mundane occurrence rather than some progressive event we should all embrace, because (to my perception, anyway) the author's gender should be wholly irrelevant when writing about space robots transforming into fire breathing dinosaurs.

Agreed. Real equality is when no-one bats an eyelid regarding your age/gender/race/sexuality etc and just accepts you do a damn fine job. It's interesting because over the last 5 years or so there are waaay more females attending Auto Assembly here in the UK, which I feel is because the rampant machismo and objectification of women present in the movies hasn't influenced the comics overtly. Or then again, perhaps it's because they want a piece of Nick Roche and his unfeasibly tight t-shirts 8)


Real equality doesn't exist though, so I think it is important to highlight when things start to shift in another direction, because it allows for people to discuss these sorts in a context relevant to them (ie the role/lack thereof of women in Transformers, as a fiction and a franchise). It allows people to potentially re-assess their own view of women/gender in general via lively discussion I guess.

Though yeah I do agree it should be, in an ideal world, a non-event. But it isn't, and won't be, for a long, long time.


Definitely. This seems to be the point that's being missed by a lot of readers.

Scott was hired to write the series because of her qualities as writer. Sarah Stone because of her artwork. They also happen to be the first woman writer/artist team in the franchise. That is, yes, secondary, but not unimportant. As pointed out, we do not live in an egalitarian, post-feminist society - at all.

And as also pointed out before, the creator's gender is relevant in terms of what type of experience can be brought to writing a character that shares some of the characteristics. I said it above: the characters were brought in by Barber and Roberts. And in fact, the whole concept of gender in a genderless race was brought in by Simon Furman. This is not a retcon, not a fixing, not a retelling - it's an alternative for more fans (and not just women!) to read about a different, minority aspect of the IDW universe's population so far relegated to off-page narratives or passing comments.
Re: Mairghread Scott Introduces the Transformers to Windblade - Interview (1554951)
Posted by shockblast2 on March 4th, 2014 @ 2:16pm CST
Burn wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:Unfortunately, he's stuck living in 1984 that nothing past it applies to his ideals, including the plane-based Autobot of 1985: Powerglide. :roll:


Digs like this can be construed as personal attacks, let's not go down that path.




I tried to tell you all that Sabrblade and Dead Metal have issues with anything that one posts that contradict their opinions. They just cannot let it go when someone says something they do not like.

You two need to back off of people. They have the right to their opinion just as much as you do without being attacked because they do not share your opinion. Kinda like you did with me, remember? It is a real turnoff to come here, read story after story, and see you two rail people for thinking differently from you.
Re: Mairghread Scott Introduces the Transformers to Windblade - Interview (1554954)
Posted by shockblast2 on March 4th, 2014 @ 2:21pm CST
Hero Alpha wrote:
Treetop Maximus wrote:>the first all-female creative team to ever work on a Transformers series

Don't care.

Let's focus less on being progressive and more on good stories. I don't really care that there's a few new female characters in the universe or that the people working on this are women. Just give me a plausible explanation for the characters' presence and a story that's not really meh like those Rage of the Dinobots and Beast Hunters comics and I'll be happy.


I agree, just give us good stories without shoving PC down our throats. I just like Transformer stories I don't care who writes them.



Ditto. More good stories. We get enough PC crap from the media.

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Tailgate" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Rippersnapper" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Power of the Primes Punch-Counterpunch and Prima Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Novastar" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Quintus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Decepticon Rumble(Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Fortress Maximus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Combiner Force Team Combiner Ultra Bee, 8.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Protectobot Rook Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #268 - Call Me 2020
Twincast / Podcast #268:
"Call Me 2020"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, January 18th, 2021

New Items on eBay

Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers SS-13 Shadow Raider Japan Import" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Dark of the Moon Legend Class Bumblebee cyberverse" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Dark Of The Moon Jetwing Optimus Prime Amazon Exclusive MISB" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers: Lot Megatron Shockwave Hammerbyte Cyberverse Adventures" on EBAY
Buy "transformers vintage lot Hightower, Grimlock, Rollbar (used/incomplete with Box)" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 57 Offroad Bumblebee" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Universe Armada Unicron with minicon Dead End 100% Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Original G1 Transformers Constructicon Scrapper Laser Pistol Weapon Lot" on EBAY