Mark Weber Discusses the Conception of Prime Wars Trilogy and His Ideas for a Transformers G3 Line

Transformers News: Mark Weber Discusses the Conception of Prime Wars Trilogy and His Ideas for a Transformers G3 Line

Thursday, December 14th, 2017 9:19PM CST

Categories: Toy News, Digital Media News, Interviews
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 15,115

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

The Full Force podcast, a GI Joe podcast, interviewed the previous Manager of Global Brand Development at Hasbro, Mark Weber.

While a great portion of the podcast focuses on GI Joe, we do get an insight on his time in the Transformers brand. His very first project that was all his was Bot Shots. He did also participate in the conception of the Prime Wars Trilogy and how they got an idea to bring yearly themes to the Generations line. We learn how Hasbro did indeed choose to extend the Combiner Wars line an additional six months because of how much of a hit it was.

We also learn that Titans Wars was the original name of the second part of the trilogy but that it was changed for legal issues.

There is also a short but awesome discussion on what Mark Weber wanted after the Prime Wars trilogy, which was to simply have a line made of mostly new characters, telling a new story, which would be akin to a G3 (his words). Hasbro often states that the toys are part of a narrative they are telling and the idea is carried forth here with totally new characters. He wanted new styles and new vehicles, like a snowplow and a black and grey hearse Decepticon called Tombstone.

What he really wants to stress out is how the brand (both Transformers and GI Joe) are in desperate need for new characters and fresh ideas. This is interesting since it is also a growing sentiment among fans. Afterall, G1 and Beast Wars have such a long lasting impact among fans and in the brand for the simple reason that it is there that so many characters were introduced while later shows and continuities simply used these existing characters in different ways.

While there is a lot of focus on GI Joe, the discussion of managing the brand is applicable to Transformers and we learn how Hasbro's waves and yearly output is decided. This helps us understand how the lines that come out look the way they do.

The Transformers Specific portion is found at the 6hr 19 mark and you can listen to it here.

Transformers News: Mark Webber Discusses the Conception of Prime Wars Trilogy and His Ideas for a G3 Line
Credit(s): The Full Force
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Mark Weber Discusses the Conception of Prime Wars Trilogy and His Ideas for a Transformers G3 Line (1926757)
Posted by Sunburnninja on December 14th, 2017 @ 9:47pm CST
Oh boy, new character ideas..... :-?
Re: Mark Weber Discusses the Conception of Prime Wars Trilogy and His Ideas for a Transformers G3 Line (1926760)
Posted by Skritz on December 14th, 2017 @ 10:03pm CST
I like the idea in concept and wouldn't mind if Hasbro went on with it, but I reserve judgment and skepticism on the basis that the last time Hasbro went LOOK AT THIS NEW CHARACTER YOU WILL LIKE THIS NEW CHARACTER DO YOU LIKE THIS NEW CHARACTER we got Windblade.
Re: Mark Weber Discusses the Conception of Prime Wars Trilogy and His Ideas for a Transformers G3 Line (1926762)
Posted by Prime Target on December 14th, 2017 @ 10:07pm CST
I'd love to see Tombstone happen :D
Re: Mark Weber Discusses the Conception of Prime Wars Trilogy and His Ideas for a Transformers G3 Line (1926763)
Posted by Randomhero on December 14th, 2017 @ 10:11pm CST
Skritz wrote:I like the idea in concept and wouldn't mind if Hasbro went on with it, but I reserve judgment and skepticism on the basis that the last time Hasbro went LOOK AT THIS NEW CHARACTER YOU WILL LIKE THIS NEW CHARACTER DO YOU LIKE THIS NEW CHARACTER we got Windblade.


You mean windblade? The character fans votes for and helped create from name to altmode to even gender? Yeah that’s why she’s special. Becuase the fandom participated in her creation
Re: Mark Weber Discusses the Conception of Prime Wars Trilogy and His Ideas for a Transformers G3 Line (1926764)
Posted by Prime Target on December 14th, 2017 @ 10:13pm CST
Skritz wrote:I like the idea in concept and wouldn't mind if Hasbro went on with it, but I reserve judgment and skepticism on the basis that the last time Hasbro went LOOK AT THIS NEW CHARACTER YOU WILL LIKE THIS NEW CHARACTER DO YOU LIKE THIS NEW CHARACTER we got Windblade.


What's wrong with Windy? besides we got some cool OCs from CW like Alpha Bravo , Offroad , Rook, The Torchbearers (That's make an awesome band name)
Re: Mark Weber Discusses the Conception of Prime Wars Trilogy and His Ideas for a Transformers G3 Line (1926770)
Posted by Ultra Markus on December 14th, 2017 @ 11:40pm CST
so would this be a new story with a completly new team of autobots and decepticons from like a different
place in the same universe and continuity as the original G1 or G1 inspired characters?
much like how we have X-Men and Guardians of the galaxy they exist in the same universe but rarely cross paths
i would be for that ;)^
Re: Mark Weber Discusses the Conception of Prime Wars Trilogy and His Ideas for a Transformers G3 Line (1926773)
Posted by Mkall on December 15th, 2017 @ 12:03am CST
I do hope that new characters will continue to make their way into the tooyline. As I've completed or will be completing soon most of the G1 character lineup, my collecting is slowing down significantly.
Re: Mark Weber Discusses the Conception of Prime Wars Trilogy and His Ideas for a Transformers G3 Line (1926779)
Posted by mentre83 on December 15th, 2017 @ 2:12am CST
Funny, a few years ago I started writing a FanFiction called "Transformers G3" and one of my most beloved characters is Dead End, a Baron Samedi-esque type that transforms into a hearse. Maybe he's a fan! :lol:
Re: Mark Weber Discusses the Conception of Prime Wars Trilogy and His Ideas for a Transformers G3 Line (1926782)
Posted by RAR on December 15th, 2017 @ 2:44am CST
william-james88 wrote:There is also a short but awesome discussion on what Mark Webber wanted after the Prime Wars trilogy, which was to simply have a line made of mostly new characters, telling a new story, which would be akin to a G3 (his words). Hasbro often states that the toys are part of a narrative they are telling and the idea is carried forth here with totally new characters. He wanted new styles and new vehicles, like a snowplow and a black and grey hearse Decepticon called Tombstone.

What he really wants to stress out is how the brand (both Transformers and GI Joe) are in desperate need for new characters and fresh ideas. This is interesting since it is also a growing sentiment among fans. Afterall, G1 and Beast Wars have such a long lasting impact among fans and in the brand for the simple reason that it is there that so many characters were introduced while later shows and continuities simply used these existing characters in different ways.



Re: Mark Weber Discusses the Conception of Prime Wars Trilogy and His Ideas for a Transformers G3 Line (1926788)
Posted by Deadput on December 15th, 2017 @ 3:28am CST
We could have had something original and Hasbro said no? ...ugh

Anyways I think the general idea is cool but maybe have a few different changes...first of all it wouldn't just be a toyline it would have a show to go along with it because we need some form of media to sell us the idea of new characters...well not me specifically I just meant from a marketing standpoint.

I would also have a "few" characters from older lines such as G1 as veterans, mentors or squad leaders to the newer characters...but not the obvious ones, less Bumblebee's and Ratchet's and more Bluestreak's and Windcharger's characters we have not explored as much that could be used in original ways like how cool would it be to have a Windcharger use his magnet powers to their full potential?

This would allow already existing fans to have something their already attached to at the start while keeping the idea of expanding the brand to have new characters, characters like Optimus and Megatron could still exist but are just either characters that are referenced in backstory but don't appear or are just occasionally seen such as Optimus being a wanderer or Megatron is a retired veteran doing community services for his crimes.

About Transformer's genders, I would either have no female characters or a decent amount of both genders like say 8 males and 5 females so it's still a boys toyline but there are a few females just no more 1 or 2 token females and more diversity in shapes for both genders.

Story wise? Not a rehash of the same old war or at least a different take on it, Rid had something going with the hunting criminals thing but as much as I like that show it did lack depth in certain places and the plot kinda went no where besides things happen, I unfortunately don't have a big original idea on what the show could be but I just want something different like Animated was Primus damn it.


Also this is the most important thing in my opinion NO MORE 5 MAN BANDS!!! this is one of the most overused and boring character tropes and it's all Transformers has really been media wise for a while, I also don't want G1's cluster of unmemorable characters who don't do anything (Windcharger, Skids, ETC) I think an equal balance of 15 characters on each side throughout the show would be fine, it would be a lot without going overboard for a starting cast on each side I would go with 7 or 8 on each side, this is not counting Autotrooper/Vehicon type cannonfodder which if they were to exist would be on both sides and are not completely useless but can serve as battle fillers and gives main characters targets to use their abilities on to establish their strength they would also have a few more diversity such as there being both males and females as well as different armor colors, vehicle modes and roles such as medics, scouts, soldiers, tanks (ha ha), snipers, etc. Also they would have plenty of toys for army builders.


Finally...Bludgeon should be a character because he has never once been in a show before and plenty of fans would be happy to see him and would technically be a new character. (Also give Cliffjumper another chance besides 5 minute existing red shirt car ok thanks bye)
Re: Mark Weber Discusses the Conception of Prime Wars Trilogy and His Ideas for a Transformers G3 Line (1926794)
Posted by Grimlocktimus on December 15th, 2017 @ 6:16am CST
New characters breathe life into the franchise, as long as we don't kill off the entire cast again it's a pretty neat idea... and a hearse con would be great... and don't EVER badmouth windblade
Re: Mark Weber Discusses the Conception of Prime Wars Trilogy and His Ideas for a Transformers G3 Line (1926798)
Posted by Emerje on December 15th, 2017 @ 6:49am CST
Ultra Markus wrote:so would this be a new story with a completly new team of autobots and decepticons from like a different
place in the same universe and continuity as the original G1 or G1 inspired characters?
much like how we have X-Men and Guardians of the galaxy they exist in the same universe but rarely cross paths
i would be for that ;)^

If it was anything like G2 then G3 would be a progression in the story line involving a new generation of characters with a few familiar faces featuring new designs. I'd be all for this coming after PotP.

IDW practically already started G3 in the comics with Nautica and the like, Hasbro just has to make the rest of them into figures. Tell me all those new Autobots and some more additional ones versus a mix of old and entirely new DJD members wouldn't make for a fun new (very loosely comic based) G3 story line?

A hearse named Tombstone is giving me Gobots vibes for some reason. Like the limo named Tux.

Emerje
Re: Mark Weber Discusses the Conception of Prime Wars Trilogy and His Ideas for a Transformers G3 Line (1926813)
Posted by william-james88 on December 15th, 2017 @ 9:41am CST
Emerje wrote:
Ultra Markus wrote:so would this be a new story with a completly new team of autobots and decepticons from like a different
place in the same universe and continuity as the original G1 or G1 inspired characters?
much like how we have X-Men and Guardians of the galaxy they exist in the same universe but rarely cross paths
i would be for that ;)^

If it was anything like G2 then G3 would be a progression in the story line involving a new generation of characters with a few familiar faces featuring new designs. I'd be all for this coming after PotP.

You can listen to the podcast to see exactly what he is saying. Yes it would have Optimus but aside from him they would be all new. I wasnt sure if it was a direct continuation or a new universe since he did mention doing the ark crashing bit again.
Re: Mark Weber Discusses the Conception of Prime Wars Trilogy and His Ideas for a Transformers G3 Line (1926821)
Posted by TulioDude on December 15th, 2017 @ 10:09am CST
It kind irks me the way it mentions that the franchise needs new ideas and characters,saying nothing leaving a lasting impression after G1 and Beast Wars.Did he just ignore Rid,The Unicron Trilogy,Movies,Animated and the Aligned series?
Re: Mark Weber Discusses the Conception of Prime Wars Trilogy and His Ideas for a Transformers G3 Line (1926832)
Posted by steals_your_goats on December 15th, 2017 @ 10:56am CST
What I would like from a G3 line would be a mix of brand new characters with new designs and new characters from old never realized concept art. But while I'm all for new things I really want to see the rest of G1 and even G2 get updated. We're pretty close with completing G1 so why not just finish it before moving on.
Re: Mark Weber Discusses the Conception of Prime Wars Trilogy and His Ideas for a Transformers G3 Line (1926838)
Posted by Black Hat on December 15th, 2017 @ 11:10am CST
A new, fresh generation of characters would be great. I'd be down for "G3"- the idea of "familiar faces and completely original ideas side by side" is exactly what the brand could do with.

Also, I kinda hope we see some "name's the same, everything else is different" characters too. Like, look at most of the "name-inheritor" characters from Beast Wars, or Animated, or even Cybertron. Most of them are infinitely more interesting than their G1 counterparts. G1 Rampage was an angry dude, whilst BW Rampage was a robotic Hannibal Lecter who was created by forbidden spark-cloning experiments. G1 Scattershot...existed, I guess, whilst Cybertron Scattorshot was a Southern technical genius with actual personality. G1 Blitzwing was Generic Angry Henchman #15 whilst Animated Blitzwing kept the basic aesthetic/transformation cues and made him actually interesting.
Re: Mark Weber Discusses the Conception of Prime Wars Trilogy and His Ideas for a Transformers G3 Line (1926842)
Posted by william-james88 on December 15th, 2017 @ 11:26am CST
TulioDude wrote:It kind irks me the way it mentions that the franchise needs new ideas and characters,saying nothing leaving a lasting impression after G1 and Beast Wars.Did he just ignore Rid,The Unicron Trilogy,Movies,Animated and the Aligned series?

it is just in reference to series containing totally new characters. The ones you mentioned dont have 100% new casts, they borrow heavily from G1 and characters share the same names.
Re: Mark Weber Discusses the Conception of Prime Wars Trilogy and His Ideas for a Transformers G3 Line (1926852)
Posted by Ultra Markus on December 15th, 2017 @ 12:35pm CST
william-james88 wrote:
TulioDude wrote:It kind irks me the way it mentions that the franchise needs new ideas and characters,saying nothing leaving a lasting impression after G1 and Beast Wars.Did he just ignore Rid,The Unicron Trilogy,Movies,Animated and the Aligned series?

it is just in reference to series containing totally new characters. The ones you mentioned dont have 100% new casts, they borrow heavily from G1 and characters share the same names.

If they created a new series that is not in any way have any thing similar to G1 like names, factions, places would it still be Transformers?
Re: Mark Weber Discusses the Conception of Prime Wars Trilogy and His Ideas for a Transformers G3 Line (1926855)
Posted by steals_your_goats on December 15th, 2017 @ 12:51pm CST
Ultra Markus wrote:
william-james88 wrote:
TulioDude wrote:It kind irks me the way it mentions that the franchise needs new ideas and characters,saying nothing leaving a lasting impression after G1 and Beast Wars.Did he just ignore Rid,The Unicron Trilogy,Movies,Animated and the Aligned series?

it is just in reference to series containing totally new characters. The ones you mentioned dont have 100% new casts, they borrow heavily from G1 and characters share the same names.

If they created a new series that is not in any way have any thing similar to G1 like names, factions, places would it still be Transformers?

I mean apart from some names isn't that what beast wars was?
Re: Mark Weber Discusses the Conception of Prime Wars Trilogy and His Ideas for a Transformers G3 Line (1926941)
Posted by Emerje on December 16th, 2017 @ 3:41am CST
william-james88 wrote:
Emerje wrote:
Ultra Markus wrote:so would this be a new story with a completly new team of autobots and decepticons from like a different
place in the same universe and continuity as the original G1 or G1 inspired characters?
much like how we have X-Men and Guardians of the galaxy they exist in the same universe but rarely cross paths
i would be for that ;)^

If it was anything like G2 then G3 would be a progression in the story line involving a new generation of characters with a few familiar faces featuring new designs. I'd be all for this coming after PotP.

You can listen to the podcast to see exactly what he is saying. Yes it would have Optimus but aside from him they would be all new. I wasnt sure if it was a direct continuation or a new universe since he did mention doing the ark crashing bit again.

Oooh, that could have been bad then. If they're going to call it G3 then it should be a later continuation of the story started in G1, not a retread of the G1 story with new characters. How is that any different from Armada or Prime?

Emerje

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers Generations Exclusive Cyber Battalion Class Shockwave Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Sinnertwin" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Snarl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Novastar" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Nucleon and Galvatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 05 Voyager Class Movie 2 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Victorion Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Hasbro Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Cogman" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #222 - The Real Ghostbusters
Twincast / Podcast #222:
"The Real Ghostbusters"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, May 12th, 2019

New Items on eBay

Buy "Strongarm TransFormers Robots in Disguise 2014" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Combiner Force Crash Combiner Skyhammer" on EBAY
Buy "2016 Hallmark Ornament Transformers Grimlock NIB" on EBAY
Buy "New TransFormers Sideswipe 2014 Robots In Disguise" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS IDW THRILLING 30TH DELUXE ARMADA STARSCREAM New" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime Wheeljack RID Deluxe Class Series 1 #003 + DVD 2012 Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Age of Extinction SLASH LOOSE COMPLETE" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS: ROBOTS IN DISGUISE WARRIORS CLASS STORMSHOT ACTION FIGURE - NEW" on EBAY