Masterpiece MP-20+ Wheeljack Comparison Gallery with MP-20

Masterpiece MP-20+ Wheeljack Comparison Gallery with MP-20

Monday, February 25th, 2019 6:33am CST

Categories: Toy News, Reviews
Posted by: Amelie   Views: 27,307

Thanks to blogger higekumatoytoy, we now have an extensive gallery of Masterpiece 20+ “anime” Wheeljack, complete with a hefty slice of comparison shots with the original MP-20 “realistic” deco and a group shot of MP20+ with MP12+ and MP17+. The over all effect is much tidier in robot mode, but the lack of detailing might deter some fans. We have mirrored some images below, but the full gallery can be found via this link.

Transformers News: Masterpiece MP-20+ Wheeljack Comparison Gallery with MP-20

Transformers News: Masterpiece MP-20+ Wheeljack Comparison Gallery with MP-20

Transformers News: Masterpiece MP-20+ Wheeljack Comparison Gallery with MP-20

Transformers News: Masterpiece MP-20+ Wheeljack Comparison Gallery with MP-20

Have you already pre-ordered yet (or better still – has it arrived?), is the anime look simply too minimalistic for a double dip? Let us know your thoughts here on the Energon Pub at Seibertron.com.

Credit(s): higekumatoytoy

Re: Masterpiece MP-20+ Wheeljack Comparison Gallery with MP-20 (2012317)
Posted by Lore Keeper on February 25th, 2019 @ 7:20am CST
I really prefer the detail and color pallet of the original MP-20. This one just feels so bare. This gallery makes me wish I had picked up the first one when it was readily available. I encountered the same thing with Sideswipe. By the time I realized I wanted him, there was only the low res Sunbow version on the market. :(
Re: Masterpiece MP-20+ Wheeljack Comparison Gallery with MP-20 (2012324)
Posted by Marcdachamp on February 25th, 2019 @ 8:29am CST
The lack of detail is pretty jarring in the vehicle mode, but I really like how clean he looks in robot mode. If I were going to pick him up (which I still might), I think I'd prefer this version.
Re: Masterpiece MP-20+ Wheeljack Comparison Gallery with MP-20 (2012325)
Posted by TheForgottenTaxi on February 25th, 2019 @ 8:33am CST
+1 for greatly preferring the original. In addition to preferring the greater detail, I greatly prefer silver and clear on the head and wings to grey and slightly different grey.
Re: Masterpiece MP-20+ Wheeljack Comparison Gallery with MP-20 (2012326)
Posted by Big Grim on February 25th, 2019 @ 8:41am CST
Yet another showing that (IMO) proves that the mix of cartoon and detail is far, far superior to this anime accurate only guff. They really are saving me a lot on money these days.
Re: Masterpiece MP-20+ Wheeljack Comparison Gallery with MP-20 (2012328)
Posted by william-james88 on February 25th, 2019 @ 8:53am CST
At least its a very different deco than the original, making its existence more worthhile (compared to sideswipe's).
Re: Masterpiece MP-20+ Wheeljack Comparison Gallery with MP-20 (2012330)
Posted by Big Grim on February 25th, 2019 @ 9:14am CST
It's very different but solely because they took so much away!
Re: Masterpiece MP-20+ Wheeljack Comparison Gallery with MP-20 (2012338)
Posted by Evil Eye on February 25th, 2019 @ 10:13am CST
Eek. That's nasty. Even aside from the heresy that is stripping away the car decals, replacing the metallics with flat greys just looks so bad. It's a classic case of cartoon literalism gone too far.
Re: Masterpiece MP-20+ Wheeljack Comparison Gallery with MP-20 (2012346)
Posted by Glarryg on February 25th, 2019 @ 11:26am CST
There's no way I would make this a habit, but I might buy this as a curiosity. I don't like most of these "cartoon-accurate deco" figures, but my love of all things Wheeljack might sway me this time. It'd have to be on sale or at some kind of discount, though, because I'd never pay more for this than I did for the original. I mean, what takes more effort, designing and lining up all those stripes and sponsor logos or doing "mostly white with a few color accents?"

Glarryg
Re: Masterpiece MP-20+ Wheeljack Comparison Gallery with MP-20 (2012347)
Posted by GrangerPerry on February 25th, 2019 @ 11:31am CST
Re: Masterpiece MP-20+ Wheeljack Comparison Gallery with MP-20 (2012371)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on February 25th, 2019 @ 3:06pm CST
For the record, the blogger is Alfes2010, Higekumatoytoy is merely the URL for the blog.

GrangerPerry wrote:I’ve always been confused why people call these the ‘anime’ version. For the sticklers isn’t Sunbow based in the US??

The animation work was outsourced to several studios in Japan and Korea (common practice too). For Transformers, Toei and AKOM are the two best known (though the latter is more notorious for its errors). Also, in Japan any animated cartoon is called "anime", be it domestic or imported. We just narrowed down the definition ;)
Re: Masterpiece MP-20+ Wheeljack Comparison Gallery with MP-20 (2012386)
Posted by gothsaurus on February 25th, 2019 @ 5:13pm CST
It's funny... as much as I think I prefer the toy accurate version (or some kind of nice hybrid)... You put those together in a group shot and it just FEELS right. I don't mind double dipping. Looks good.

Of course, best case is when Takara can fudge both out of the same toy with some parts and head/face swapping (ala Grapple and Inferno)

All things considered, the animation "+" shelf is getting pretty filled out. Now if we can just get them to stop doing repaints and full-blown character reduxes long enough to crank out Trailbreaker, Hound, Mirage, Jazz and Cliffjumper I'll be a happy man. (Okay, yeah, and Skids, Hoist, Huffer, Windcharger, Gears, Brawn, Reflector, Hotlink...)
Re: Masterpiece MP-20+ Wheeljack Comparison Gallery with MP-20 (2012515)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on February 26th, 2019 @ 7:29pm CST
Call me weird but that MP "Sunbow" Wheeljack is in serious need of Reprolabels.
Seriously, "anime look" is a sod excuse to skimp on the paint aps for twice the price. >:oP
Re: Masterpiece MP-20+ Wheeljack Comparison Gallery with MP-20 (2012540)
Posted by chuckdawg1999 on February 26th, 2019 @ 11:47pm CST
Popped open MP-20 last night and was surprised that 20+ showed up today. Very striking differences but no real MP wow moment.
Re: Masterpiece MP-20+ Wheeljack Comparison Gallery with MP-20 (2012591)
Posted by carytheone on February 27th, 2019 @ 2:04pm CST
Amelie wrote:Image
You know, I have never understood the appeal of these stripped down cartoon accurate decos :-?
Re: Masterpiece MP-20+ Wheeljack Comparison Gallery with MP-20 (2012596)
Posted by gothsaurus on February 27th, 2019 @ 2:25pm CST
whaaa. Is this a KO of the Unite Warriors version? Confused by the sizes here. But yeah, reminds me why I like toy decos. Seeing them side by side makes you kinda sad.

That said, I do still like the notion of getting a toy deco for vehicle mode display and an anime deco for bot display.
Re: Masterpiece MP-20+ Wheeljack Comparison Gallery with MP-20 (2012599)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on February 27th, 2019 @ 2:38pm CST
gothsaurus wrote:whaaa. Is this a KO of the Unite Warriors version?

Me thinks that's photoshopped.
Re: Masterpiece MP-20+ Wheeljack Comparison Gallery with MP-20 (2012601)
Posted by Nathaniel Prime on February 27th, 2019 @ 2:40pm CST
carytheone wrote:
Amelie wrote:Image

:lol:

I will admit that the deco works best in robot mode, where the less cluttered look makes the robot slightly better. Vehicle mode is the absolute opposite, where the OG beats it completely. Overall, I'd be happy to stick to the original, for a number of reasons, but I'm glad for those of you who did get this, and I hope you enjoy! ;)
Re: Masterpiece MP-20+ Wheeljack Comparison Gallery with MP-20 (2012603)
Posted by carytheone on February 27th, 2019 @ 2:47pm CST
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
gothsaurus wrote:whaaa. Is this a KO of the Unite Warriors version?
Me thinks that's photoshopped.
Maybe just a little, but I'll never say ;;)
Re: Masterpiece MP-20+ Wheeljack Comparison Gallery with MP-20 (2012639)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 27th, 2019 @ 6:04pm CST
He looks so clean and pristine. No more of that swath of garish rainbow running down his body.
Re: Masterpiece MP-20+ Wheeljack Comparison Gallery with MP-20 (2012711)
Posted by Emerje on February 28th, 2019 @ 7:10am CST
I'm just glad his hands don't have the white portions on them anymore. Too bad you can't swap them onto the original, I really wouldn't want to pull the elbow pins.

Emerje

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Deluxe Class Arcee Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Playskool Heroes Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #271 - Meh-pisode
"Meh-pisode"
Posted: Friday, March 5th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Lost Light 13B Bludgeon Nick Roche Variant Cover IDW D8-18" on EBAY
Buy "transformers animated sentinel prime" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Reveal the Shield 'G2' Optimus Prime" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Siege Red Alert Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 61 Sentinel Prime" on EBAY
Buy "Used Build A Bear Transformers Optimus Prime Bear Mask Flips Over Head 17'" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers E3479 Generations War for Cybertron: Siege Leader Class WFC-S13 Ul…" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege War For Cybertron Prowl" on EBAY