Michael Bay Update: RotF in IMAX will have extended footage

Michael Bay Update: RotF in IMAX will have extended footage

Monday, June 8th, 2009 3:09am CDT

Category: Movie Related News
Posted by: Dead Metal   Views: 8,743

Michael Bay has updated his website, letting us know that the IMAX version of RotF will be an extended film.

Hey everyone,

In Japan today. After a month and half seven days a week most days going till midnight me and my crew have just about finished Transformers. I have never seen such a level of dedication from every crew member in a movie before.

Even today after the press in Japan and right before the premiere tonight, I have to sneak out to a digital house to approve the last few effect shots.

It has been a long hard road, but really fun one to travel. What you will notice that is strikingly different than Transformers 1, is the level of animation detail. The robot characters (42 in all), you really can feel empathy for them. What is also very different is the sheer scale of the movie. We have been very tight holding back much of the best imagery in commercials and trailers.

The way to see this movie is on IMAX. Never before has there been 4k rendered character animation shot on full IMAX 70 mm film. This is a first and the results are stunning. You will see Optimus Prime in a few shots where he is actually perfectly to scale on the IMAX 50 foot tall screens.

For IMAX, I created a slightly longer cut with more robot fighting. Four scenes were shot on IMAX cameras so the screen will fill the full IMAX screen for these scenes.

Haters beware.

Michael

Stay tuned to Seibertron.com for your daily RotF news!

Credit(s): Blurrz

Re: Michael Bay Update: RotF in IMAX will have extended footage (933626)
Posted by vectorA3 on June 8th, 2009 @ 3:19am CDT
As I said before in a different thread regarding the 3 new commercials, midnight Imax screening for this baby. I'm tryin not to spend big, but I might break my vow of not seeing another movie on Imax twice (Dark Knight was the first, so worth it) but I might eat my words after this comes out. Extended footage --awwwww yeaaaaahh. Get your $s worth.
Re: Michael Bay Update: RotF in IMAX will have extended footage (933628)
Posted by blobatron on June 8th, 2009 @ 3:22am CDT
Yaaaayyyyy!
Re: Michael Bay Update: RotF in IMAX will have extended footage (933654)
Posted by capellamusic on June 8th, 2009 @ 6:39am CDT
Re: Michael Bay Update: RotF in IMAX will have extended footage (933672)
Posted by xOPtimUsZErOx on June 8th, 2009 @ 8:03am CDT
the closest one to me is like 8 hours away
Re: Michael Bay Update: RotF in IMAX will have extended footage (933674)
Posted by YRQRM0 on June 8th, 2009 @ 8:14am CDT
Well I might see IMAX and it would be incredible. But why would there be more robot fighting in IMAX? Isn't that financially suicide to do that much rendering if it's not gonna be shown in all theaters?

But anyways, CAN'T WAIT.
Re: Michael Bay Update: RotF in IMAX will have extended footage (933687)
Posted by typh0id on June 8th, 2009 @ 9:03am CDT
capellamusic wrote:That is really lame, I don't even have Imax in my country as far as I know... well, thank you for thinking about everyone...

I wouldn't worry too much about it...The extra scenes probably aren't anything that important or even all that special...Sorta like when they add in scenes to a movie because they know it will be played in 3D in some theatres and the extra footage is just kinda lame and pointless...
Re: Michael Bay Update: RotF in IMAX will have extended footage (933736)
Posted by Agent 007 on June 8th, 2009 @ 10:44am CDT
sweet I know I'm def gonna see this in IMAX now!
Re: Michael Bay Update: RotF in IMAX will have extended footage (933738)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on June 8th, 2009 @ 10:49am CDT
"Haters beware." :lol:

I didn't really care about IMAX, I just wanted to see the movie, but now if I find an IMAX theater near me I'll go.
Re: Michael Bay Update: RotF in IMAX will have extended footage (933740)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on June 8th, 2009 @ 10:57am CDT

"Haters beware." Beware of what your shitty movie or the boring extras?
Re: Michael Bay Update: RotF in IMAX will have extended footage (933750)
Posted by Bouncy X on June 8th, 2009 @ 11:25am CDT
just like they did on the first movie.

i doubt it'll be significant though, probably an extra 5mins at most. but i did not know they filmed some scenes in IMAX so thats cool. it'll be like Dark Knight, some scenes will stretch out and take the whole screen...fun.

i was seeing this in IMAX regardless so this is just extra gravy on my fries.
Re: Michael Bay Update: RotF in IMAX will have extended footage (933761)
Posted by Supreme Convoy on June 8th, 2009 @ 12:07pm CDT
Megatron Wolf wrote:So the version of the movie thats not going to make a lot of money is getting the extras and the version that will be making all the money gets the shaft.......yeah great job bay. Not every one has an imax around the corner. Thanks for screwing most of us over once again. Now that i think of it he did this with the first one. And all he added were boring talky scenes. So glad im seeing this for free.

"Haters beware." Beware of what your shitty movie or the boring extras?

More than likely, those scenes will be on the Blu-Ray just like the Dark Knight had an IMAX portion.
Re: Michael Bay Update: RotF in IMAX will have extended footage (933764)
Posted by syphonn on June 8th, 2009 @ 12:20pm CDT
What's the "Haters beware" part about?
Re: Michael Bay Update: RotF in IMAX will have extended footage (933770)
Posted by Ultra Magnus on June 8th, 2009 @ 12:34pm CDT
IMAX really is the way to go with this movie. Looks like a winner!

Hahaha "Haters beware".

B-)
Re: Michael Bay Update: RotF in IMAX will have extended footage (933778)
Posted by Swiftknife24 on June 8th, 2009 @ 12:56pm CDT
The moment I read that Optimus will be life-size, I just froze! :shock:

:grin:
Re: Michael Bay Update: RotF in IMAX will have extended footage (933789)
Posted by HollyW00d on June 8th, 2009 @ 1:23pm CDT

"Haters beware." Beware of what your shitty movie or the boring extras?

About time to take that stick out of your ass no?

I mean wow, cry more.

Re: Michael Bay Update: RotF in IMAX will have extended footage (933801)
Posted by capellamusic on June 8th, 2009 @ 1:40pm CDT
HollyW00d wrote:To the rational people like me, this is awesome news. Can't wait to see it in IMAX.

Sorry, but for people who care about the others like me, this is bad news. And I've already confirmed, there's no Imax in my country. Why should I be missing parts of the movie just because I don't have access to Imax? This is a form of discrimination.
Re: Michael Bay Update: RotF in IMAX will have extended footage (933818)
Posted by [SELF.DESTRUCT] on June 8th, 2009 @ 2:01pm CDT
Gonna order my imax tickets tonight :D :grin:
ohh yeeeeaahhhh B-)
Re: Michael Bay Update: RotF in IMAX will have extended footage (933902)
Posted by Hightowers-Noble on June 8th, 2009 @ 4:54pm CDT
People, stop whining. I'm not gonna get to see it in IMAX either, but they'll probably have the extra scenes in a special feature or something when the DVD comes out.

And yush, beware haters, for the lovers will kick your aft!
Re: Michael Bay Update: RotF in IMAX will have extended footage (933930)
Posted by HollyW00d on June 8th, 2009 @ 6:28pm CDT
capellamusic wrote:

That logic is pretty ridiculous, I mean some countries don't have movie theaters so I guess they should stop making movies altogether right?? I mean, they aren't seeing the movie at all, so you shouldn't either.

The fact is that the extra footage is probably going to be on the DVD and if it isn't, who cares. It won't be pivotal footage. Movies start out as 3 hour long epics and get trimmed down, are we supposed to cry to the studios that we want to see every bit of footage ever shot? Of course not.

Discrimination? Wow.
Re: Michael Bay Update: RotF in IMAX will have extended footage (933944)
Posted by Zeds on June 8th, 2009 @ 7:03pm CDT
10:1 odds more dialogue than explosions.

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Wreck-Gar" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 01 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Armada Megatron Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #259 - Podcast Convoy
"Podcast Convoy"
Posted: Sunday, September 13th, 2020

Buy "Flame Toys Kuro Kara Kuri 02 - Transformers Tarn Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Fall of Cybertron Ramhorn Eject Rewind Sunder" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Selects Deluxe Lancer" on EBAY
Buy "Heroes of Cybertron ESPIONAGE TEAM Bumblebee + Spike Transformers Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers: War For Cybetron Earthrise Rung MISB NEW" on EBAY