Michael Bay's Transformers Movies Parodied by Family Guy

Transformers News: Michael Bay's Transformers Movies Parodied by Family Guy

Tuesday, November 7th, 2017 1:22AM CST

Category: Movie Related News
Posted by: Qwan   Views: 27,659

And now for something a little different from our regular fare. Via fellow Seibertronians Cyberpath and Emerje, we have word that Family Guy's most recent episode (Season 16 Episode 5, broadcast on November 5th, for those of you keeping track) features an extended parody of Michael Bay's memorably unique directing style - with multiple specific references to Transformers along the way!

The episode features a short story as "interpreted" by three different directors - though none of the named directors were actually involved - the third of which is our very own director of the Transformers movies, Michael Bay! Numerous iconic techniques from Bay's movies are replicated, exaggerated and pastiched: from the title (and its font) to the dramatic camera angles, the overwhelming patriotism to the omnipresent explosions, and naturally the Transformers themselves! Three Decepticons (who are called as such within the show) appear, and though none are given specific names, two are heavily based on Megatron's and Starscream's live-action movie designs respectively.

Transformers News: Michael Bay's Transformers Movies Parodied by Family Guy

"Megatron" notably takes multiple cues, particularly the lower leg design and truck mode, from his Dark of the Moon incarnation, while "Starscream" similarly borrows his flight-based alternate mode and general body shape from the highly distinct design featured in Bay's films. The third Decepticon, while less familiar-looking than the other two, could be considered a Soundwave analog thanks to the satellite-like panels behind its head and blue coloration (and to round out the iconic Decepticon trio).

Did you have a favorite moment in this extended shout-out? Were there any particularly noteworthy homages to Bay's films that we missed out on mentioning? Let us know your thoughts in the Energon Pub forums!

Transformers News: Michael Bay's Transformers Movies Parodied by Family Guy
Credit(s): Family Guy

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Michael Bay's Transformers Movies Parodied by Family Guy (1920353)
Posted by TulioDude on November 7th, 2017 @ 7:51am CST
Re: Michael Bay's Transformers Movies Parodied by Family Guy (1920354)
Posted by Va'al on November 7th, 2017 @ 7:54am CST
TulioDude wrote:I dont think its a big deal,its not the first time they have Transformers cameos.

It's not a big deal, but people might get a kick out of it - which is why we posted it. :D
Re: Michael Bay's Transformers Movies Parodied by Family Guy (1920360)
Posted by fenrir72 on November 7th, 2017 @ 8:22am CST

He once portrayed Optimus wearing a kippah (though the TF franchise really owes a lot to "them" from both Hasbro and Marvel Comics) in an episode where Peter wanted to convert for less than altruistic reasons. :lol:
Re: Michael Bay's Transformers Movies Parodied by Family Guy (1920361)
Posted by Va'al on November 7th, 2017 @ 8:30am CST
fenrir72 wrote:Given how McFarlene does jabs with subtle meanings ( Harvey .....cough..........Oscars), he really might have something for or against a certain ethnic group.

You really need to watch how you say things. You're once again bordering into being extremely offensive, and don't think we ignore it.
Re: Michael Bay's Transformers Movies Parodied by Family Guy (1920367)
Posted by That_Guy on November 7th, 2017 @ 9:26am CST

You obviously don't know how Seth thinks. Everything is on the table to joke on. Alex Borstein who voices Lois is a good friend of Seth's. People assume that Seth is also a womanizer, but one of his greatest writers on the show is a woman. it boils my blood people assume because he cracks jokes on many things when to him it's all good fun and his staff and fellow VMs support him.

And I'm feeding the trolls..........SORRY!
Re: Michael Bay's Transformers Movies Parodied by Family Guy (1920371)
Posted by fenrir72 on November 7th, 2017 @ 9:57am CST
Va'al wrote:

What part of my post was offensive? You guys even read current events? McFarlane does things on the sly with hidden meanings. He said that himself.

I did not specifically mention a particular group (to avoid an automatic ruffling of feelings) and I "praised" them for it. What part was offensive?

There was an episode in Family Guy where Peter wanted to convert (for less altruistic reasons) and Optimus Prime wore a kippah. What part of it was not accurate

http://familyguy.wikia.com/wiki/When_Yo ... _Weinstein :???:

If anyone is offensive, it's McFarlane not me.
Re: Michael Bay's Transformers Movies Parodied by Family Guy (1920373)
Posted by fenrir72 on November 7th, 2017 @ 10:03am CST
That_Guy wrote:

And I'm feeding the trolls..........SORRY!

"Make no mistake, this came from a place of loathing and anger."
Seth MacFarlane on Wednesday released a statement explaining his jab at Harvey Weinstein during the Oscar nominations announcement in 2013.

Just google this statement. Maybe you know about Seth than Seth knows about himself and his thoughts.

Troll? Name calling immediately? Please think first before you post. >:oP Then think who's really the troll?
Re: Michael Bay's Transformers Movies Parodied by Family Guy (1920381)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on November 7th, 2017 @ 10:51am CST
Re: Michael Bay's Transformers Movies Parodied by Family Guy (1920393)
Posted by Quantum Surge on November 7th, 2017 @ 11:30am CST
Did Osro1113 work on the skit? The bots look similar to his work.
Re: Michael Bay's Transformers Movies Parodied by Family Guy (1920405)
Posted by Moonshot on November 7th, 2017 @ 12:24pm CST
I always love it when Transformers and Family Guy come together. Negatron and his canoe alt mode were great, lol.
Re: Michael Bay's Transformers Movies Parodied by Family Guy (1920428)
Posted by Va'al on November 7th, 2017 @ 1:58pm CST
fenrir72 wrote:
Va'al wrote:

http://familyguy.wikia.com/wiki/When_Yo ... _Weinstein :???:

If anyone is offensive, it's McFarlane not me.

All I said was mind how and what you say.
Staff are aware of your actions.

Added note: MacFarlane is not as clever as he thinks he is - common thread there really.
Re: Michael Bay's Transformers Movies Parodied by Family Guy (1920444)
Posted by Qwan on November 7th, 2017 @ 3:42pm CST
Carnivius_Prime wrote:Eh, can't bloody stand Family Guy (or Seth McFarlane in general) but they look alright in those screenshots there.

If I may share something myself: the episode of Family Guy that I watched for this was my first, and with a fair amount of certainty, I can say my last. Maybe the show's style of humor just doesn't gel with me personally, but I didn't even crack a smile through the whole episode. I almost enjoyed seeing these Transformers standing there looking cool, but unfortunately that's pretty much literally all they do. Stand there and look cool. They might have done more interesting stuff in the "fight" scene, but then the "joke" there is that they copy and exaggerate Bay's frustratingly-confusing editing style in action scenes. Taking something that people hate, and then doing it while pointing out that you're doing it, isn't clever. It barely even qualifies as observational humor. It's just doing something people hate.

But to bring it back around, yes the robots are cool! I know it's probably just the nature of 3D cel-shaded animation (which I'm pretty sure these Decepticons are) but the way they looked and moved actually reminded me a lot of the new RiD 'bots. And if nothing else, I can definitely tell that a lot of knowledge and thought went into the designs - as I went into probably too much detail about above! Ironically, had it been less concerned with trying to crack jokes instead of just letting the material speak for itself, it might've actually made for quite a clever parody - only in my own opinion of course.
Re: Michael Bay's Transformers Movies Parodied by Family Guy (1920452)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on November 7th, 2017 @ 4:24pm CST
Long time watcher of Family Guy reruns here, and the humor the show is known for isn't really the kind of laugh at. Rather, it's more the rolling eyes kind, subtle at times, but most of all it's pushing one's personal limits on what's considered decent to poke fun at (as we all know, anything goes with Seth). True, some jokes do cross the line (there's even a Top 10 list on YouTube, look it up), and mind you, I don't like the cutaways relating to Autism, personally. But at it's core, it's unapologetic in what it does best, being random and above all, poking the penguin.

Re: Michael Bay's Transformers Movies Parodied by Family Guy (1920456)
Posted by Qwan on November 7th, 2017 @ 4:37pm CST
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:That said, I may have to keep an eye out for that episode. And silly question, but did anyone notice the third, small one is a port-a-potty, with someone exiting it right before he transforms?

Indeed (that's what mostly threw off my guesses as to its intended character homage, since there certainly aren't any canon dunnyformers AFAIK). I guess that's a pretty good example of the eye-rolling kind of humor, ain't it?

Also unrelated to this exact quote since I just forgot to mention earlier, but I still think PaSwG did this all way better [-(
Re: Michael Bay's Transformers Movies Parodied by Family Guy (1920470)
Posted by fenrir72 on November 7th, 2017 @ 5:46pm CST
Va'al wrote:
fenrir72 wrote:
Va'al wrote:

http://familyguy.wikia.com/wiki/When_Yo ... _Weinstein :???:

If anyone is offensive, it's McFarlane not me.

All I said was mind how and what you say.
Staff are aware of your actions.

What in my post was bordering "offensive". I'd like to know so I can learn what not to post.Same as not posting offensive things against the current duly elected PotUS.

Other Guy called me a "troll" then cowardly hides back. Was he given a warning btw?
Re: Michael Bay's Transformers Movies Parodied by Family Guy (1920475)
Posted by fenrir72 on November 7th, 2017 @ 6:18pm CST
Harry Orenstein

Stan Martin Lieber

James Shooter

Bob Budiansky

Jay Bacal

:BOWDOWN: :BOWDOWN: :BOWDOWN: :BOWDOWN: :BOWDOWN: :BOWDOWN: :BOWDOWN:

Seth Macfarlane? :SICK:
Re: Michael Bay's Transformers Movies Parodied by Family Guy (1920485)
Posted by Burn on November 7th, 2017 @ 7:29pm CST
fenrir72 wrote:
Va'al wrote:
fenrir72 wrote:
Va'al wrote:

http://familyguy.wikia.com/wiki/When_Yo ... _Weinstein :???:

If anyone is offensive, it's McFarlane not me.

All I said was mind how and what you say.
Staff are aware of your actions.

The way this discussion between you and Va'al is travelling, it'll only serve to drive this topic off-topic. Please take it up privately with him.

oh I gotta get that image added to the site for future use. hehehe
Re: Michael Bay's Transformers Movies Parodied by Family Guy (1920640)
Posted by fenrir72 on November 8th, 2017 @ 5:34pm CST
Burn wrote:
fenrir72 wrote:
Va'al wrote:
fenrir72 wrote:
Va'al wrote:

http://familyguy.wikia.com/wiki/When_Yo ... _Weinstein :???:

If anyone is offensive, it's McFarlane not me.

All I said was mind how and what you say.
Staff are aware of your actions.

oh I gotta get that image added to the site for future use. hehehe

From an outsider's view, what part of my original post was offensive?

As for the coward post, if no action is done then it's the responsible person's problem at maintaining the standards which should have been automatic anyway.
Re: Michael Bay's Transformers Movies Parodied by Family Guy (1920676)
Posted by Burn on November 9th, 2017 @ 4:50am CST
Determined to drive the topic off-topic huh?
Re: Michael Bay's Transformers Movies Parodied by Family Guy (1922997)
Posted by snavej on November 21st, 2017 @ 11:22am CST
I think that the massive amount of violence perpetrated by the Transformers is far more offensive than Seth MacFarlane and 'Family Guy'!

I just saw this episode: it was pretty good but not a masterpiece.
Transformers products from AMAZON

Featured Products

Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 30 Newman Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Megatron and Doomshot" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #207 - Through The Fargate
"Through The Fargate"
Posted: Sunday, September 9th, 2018
Transformers products from EBAY

Items Ending Soon

Buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS GENERATIONS, 11" OPTIMUS PRIMAL PLATINUM EDITION FIGURE" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Platinum Edition Hot Rod Wreck Gar Planet of Junk (NEW)" on EBAY
Buy "STEALTH STARSCREAM+NIGHTWATCH OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Movie Legends complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers 2014 Generations 30th Sandstorm 100% Complete w/Instruct C-6 Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers 2001 RID Ultra Magnus Parts Lot Incomplete C-5 Hasbro Robots in D!!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Takara United Darkside Optimus Prime & Megatron 100% Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers 2009 hubcap hunt for the decepticons Transformer rare" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers BLUNDERBUSS & BROADSIDE Titans Return Generations MOC" on EBAY