Friday, June 9th, 2017 12:33pm CDT

Categories: Movie Related News, Toy News, Sightings
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 19,508

After the Singapore news we reported on here, we also have confirmation that the Transformers: The Last Knight Mission to Cybertron Optimus Prime (Evolution) two-pack is now at US retail! Site Moderator Cobotron reports the sighting from Omaha Toys'R'Us for $39.99 - if you come across the same figure, or any other, make sure to report it in the Sightings Database, and happy hunting!

Transformers News: Mission to Cybertron Transformers: The Last Knight Optimus Two-Pack Sighted at US Retail

Credit(s): TRU Omaha

Re: Mission to Cybertron Transformers: The Last Knight Optimus Two-Pack Sighted at US Retail (1888272)
Posted by Short Circuit on June 9th, 2017 @ 1:14pm CDT
Anybody want the movie prime if I go halfsies for the protoform? :-D :lol:
Re: Mission to Cybertron Transformers: The Last Knight Optimus Two-Pack Sighted at US Retail (1888275)
Posted by william-james88 on June 9th, 2017 @ 1:29pm CDT
Short Circuit wrote:Anybody want the movie prime if I go halfsies for the protoform? :-D :lol:

Sadly, the one I want is the protoform. I already have the other Prime from the AOE 2 pack he came with.
Re: Mission to Cybertron Transformers: The Last Knight Optimus Two-Pack Sighted at US Retail (1888277)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on June 9th, 2017 @ 1:31pm CDT

I wouldn't mind both. I miss the Protoform and i like this silver look for it. And I had the Deluxe before but it was the super chromed one from the Silver Knight pack with FoC Grimlock and I was too afraid to touch it in case of chipping so wouldn't mind a nice more movie-accurate one like this. The pack isn't on my must have list but after I get all the ones I really do want from TLK I may get it if still available. :)
Re: Mission to Cybertron Transformers: The Last Knight Optimus Two-Pack Sighted at US Retail (1888281)
Posted by Overcracker on June 9th, 2017 @ 1:48pm CDT
Carnivius_Prime wrote:

I have that chromed one and have transformed it quite a few times with no ill effects to the chrome.

The Chrome is on non-moving parts only, so as long as you are careful, there should be no chipping.

The only issue I have with mine is the left hip ball joint is super loose. Otherwise he's fine.
Re: Mission to Cybertron Transformers: The Last Knight Optimus Two-Pack Sighted at US Retail (1888282)
Posted by Marcdachamp on June 9th, 2017 @ 2:06pm CDT
Re: Mission to Cybertron Transformers: The Last Knight Optimus Two-Pack Sighted at US Retail (1888427)
Posted by william-james88 on June 9th, 2017 @ 11:28pm CDT
Marcdachamp wrote:I also have the chrome one, and let me tell you, I've had zero issues with paint chipping, and I've transformed him a bunch. He's a great figure.

Same here. That was an excellent 2 pack and reasonably priced too.
Re: Mission to Cybertron Transformers: The Last Knight Optimus Two-Pack Sighted at US Retail (1888428)
Posted by william-james88 on June 9th, 2017 @ 11:38pm CDT
While certain toys from wave two have already been spotted in England, Canada has just gotten all 4 new deluxes in wave 2 of Transformers: The Last Knight. These include Steelbane, Drift, Sweeks and Slug. These were found in a Montreal Walmart for $29.99 CDN a piece, along with Knight Armor Megatron who had not been spotted in Canada yet.

Re: Mission to Cybertron Transformers: The Last Knight Optimus Two-Pack Sighted at US Retail (1888429)
Posted by william-james88 on June 9th, 2017 @ 11:40pm CDT
Fellow Seibertronian Cobotron and myself both had a nice surprise when we went toy hunting in our respective haunts (him in Omaha, USA, and me in Montreal, Canada). Walmarts in both countries appear to have special displays and endcaps for this movie line. Cobotron's endcap has a lenticular poster of Bumblebee pictured below, while my display in the aisle had Optimus and Megatron art framing all the newest toys.

Re: Mission to Cybertron Transformers: The Last Knight Optimus Two-Pack Sighted at US Retail (1888434)
Posted by william-james88 on June 10th, 2017 @ 12:15am CDT
I will start by saying this: there are far more new parts than we first thought.

The car shell of course is fully new (including the wheels), but so is the head, torso, hips, legs and feet. The only thing remaining unchanged are the robot arms, and even then the samurai armour hanging off them is a different piece on both. However, as you will see, these new pieces are made to resemble the older ones and that's where the toy becomes disappointing due to the lack of variety.

Below are images of their robot modes. You will notice how the heads are slightly different at the mouth area. I personally do not know which I prefer. The TLK version replaces the clear plastic in back of the head for a black piece, which I don't mind since the light piping attempt had previously failed.

You will also notice that TLK Drift is unable to store all his swords on his back. He does not have extra slots in his back kibble, which also hangs lower than the AOE Drift. Also, the Mercedes logo on TLK Drift is fake kibble while the Bugatti grill on AOE Drift was surprisingly a piece from his actual alt mode, but we knew that from the stock images.

So, let's move on with the subtle and frustrating retooling. As you can see in the image below, the TLK version's lower leg is a different piece from the AOE. You can tell with the detail right above the connection to his foot where that detail is twice the length as the AOE version, meaning that the piece is different in size, slightly. The hips with Samurai armour are also different. Instead of little pin sized vertical rectangles decorating the hip it is now larger horizontal rectangles. Lastly, the feet pieces have also been changed to have holes to fit the swords in vehicle mode.

Here are shots from the sides and back. Another significant downgrade with this toy over the AOE one is that the parts of the back are loose and do not clip anywhere. The back for the AOE one was surprisingly solid and doesn't swing around when you pick it up or pose him. This one does. It is also a bigger backpack since the entire back of the car is now part of the shell and instead of folding inward, it folds outwards giving TLK Drift a lot of junk in the trunk.

None of these flaws are deal breakers though, especially if you do not have the AOE version, but it's getting closer to me not recommending this toy. Extra paint would help of course, since he looks a bit drab with a lot of unpainted plastic, which means some nice sculpted detail is left unhighlighted.

Now let's look at the cars!

Their sizes are about the same and of course the real "genius" feature here is that what was once the front is now the back and what was once the back is now he front. However, in terms of transformation, that doesn't change anything. It is still the very similar steps. These are partly puzzle toys and there is nothing new or exciting in terms of the puzzle here. He is a tad bit simpler too since this time the entire car is a shell so the no part of the robot's upper torso needs to move, the car just wraps around him.

But like I said, this doesn't make him all that inferior, it's a small detail. What isn't a small detail is the paint on the car mode. Take a look at the image of the back of the two, the TLK Drift has 0 paint applications there. The back lights are not painted, it's all black unpainted plastic. Whatever red paint motif they try to keep throughout the alt mode stops short and it's jarring.

To add insult the injury, the paint that is applied is applied in the poorest way I have ever seen.

In the end, the only part of this figure that I find quite cool is the idea of an all black car becoming an all red robot. But any imaginative engineering was provided in the previous toy so the novelty wears off fast. I find the previous version superior in ever way. More options with the swords, better alt mode integration, far superior deco in alt mode and a cooler alt mode (personal opinion of course) that we don't see much. That said, I would still be open to a more premium deco of this toy, to highlight the sculpting and make the sleek car mode pop more.

Re: Mission to Cybertron Transformers: The Last Knight Optimus Two-Pack Sighted at US Retail (1888446)
Posted by Nexus Knight on June 10th, 2017 @ 2:13am CDT
So... you could say to sum it "TLK Drift is the same as AOE, just worse in every way." ;)
Re: Mission to Cybertron Transformers: The Last Knight Optimus Two-Pack Sighted at US Retail (1888451)
Posted by TimothyR on June 10th, 2017 @ 3:18am CDT
Why are they holding the swords backwards?

.. here's hoping the movie masterpiece line continues and we get a masterpiece drift at some point.
Re: Mission to Cybertron Transformers: The Last Knight Optimus Two-Pack Sighted at US Retail (1888454)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on June 10th, 2017 @ 3:37am CDT
I think AoE Drift seems the better toy all round but I do prefer TLK Drift's car mode. Can't decide which of the colour schemes I like more. Is unusual for a movie Autobot to change colours so drastically.
Re: Mission to Cybertron Transformers: The Last Knight Optimus Two-Pack Sighted at US Retail (1888458)
Posted by Va'al on June 10th, 2017 @ 4:23am CDT
Courtesy of our new friend on Weibo, user 淘宝店变形金刚改造工厂, we have some new images of the leader class figure from Transformers: The Last Knight Dragonstorm, and its two knight components: Dragonicus and Stormreign. Check out the stock photography below, and let us know what you think of this new figure in the Energon Pub!

Re: Mission to Cybertron Transformers: The Last Knight Optimus Two-Pack Sighted at US Retail (1888460)
Posted by Va'al on June 10th, 2017 @ 4:31am CDT
In addition to the previous Transformers: The Last Knight All Spark Tech stock images, covered here, we have a truckload more courtesy of Amazon Italy and Germany, and their listings for Barricade (Mars), Hound (Super Nova), Drift (Nova), and Bumblebee (Saturn). Check them out below!

When the cube is placed in the figure, more than 15 lights and sounds are activated. The cube detects whether the figure is in robot or vehicle mode. The cube also supplies other Allspark Tech figures with energy.

Re: Mission to Cybertron Transformers: The Last Knight Optimus Two-Pack Sighted at US Retail (1888461)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on June 10th, 2017 @ 4:47am CDT
Dragonstorm looks cool but it's odd there's blue-green parts on the robot mode pics where they're more grey on the dragon mode pic.
Re: Mission to Cybertron Transformers: The Last Knight Optimus Two-Pack Sighted at US Retail (1888463)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on June 10th, 2017 @ 4:59am CDT
Ya know what? Looking at TLK Drift I may likely buy him when in a sale or something and assign one of them as Drift and one as Drift's 'brother'. Maybe Drift and Shift, the samurai twins? Having formely served under Bludgeon (to go with my RotF Bludgeon) as Decepticons they both had a change of heart and changed their alliegance. Mixture of canon and personal canon to explain why owning both and the samurai similarity with Bluddy. I dunno.
Re: Mission to Cybertron Transformers: The Last Knight Optimus Two-Pack Sighted at US Retail (1888473)
Posted by Z3ROhour on June 10th, 2017 @ 6:26am CDT
welp...

that certainly looks expensive.
:-?
Re: Mission to Cybertron Transformers: The Last Knight Optimus Two-Pack Sighted at US Retail (1888474)
Posted by Rainmaker on June 10th, 2017 @ 6:28am CDT
I thought All-Spark tech was gonna be more electruful than just lights and sounds...
:MAXIMAL:
Re: Mission to Cybertron Transformers: The Last Knight Optimus Two-Pack Sighted at US Retail (1888481)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on June 10th, 2017 @ 7:05am CDT
That leader Drangonstorm is a sure buy for me. It just look FANTASTIC!

Let's just hope he don't go all "Steel Bane" and be a floppy mess.
Re: Mission to Cybertron Transformers: The Last Knight Optimus Two-Pack Sighted at US Retail (1888483)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on June 10th, 2017 @ 7:09am CDT
-Kanrabat- wrote:That leader Drangonstorm is a sure buy for me. It just look FANTASTIC!

Let's just hope he don't go all "Steel Bane" and be a floppy mess.

I'm still planning to buy Steelbane (or Skullitron) and just fix the floppiness with glue or nail polish. Yeah it's an issue that shouldn't happen but it's really not a big deal and easily fixable.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Soundwave Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #267 - Netflix Earthrise Reviewed
"Netflix Earthrise Reviewed"
Posted: Monday, December 28th, 2020

Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Caliburst & Slugslinger Deluxe Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Triggerhappy Deluxe Hasbro Pre-Owned" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Takara Tomy Cloud TFC-A03 Hot Rodimus" on EBAY
Buy "Takaratomy Transformers Legends LG30 Wheelie &Go Shooter Action Figure To..." on EBAY
Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-48 Brawn & Repugnus Robot Figure Toy" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return, SKY SHADOW, Leader Class, Generations" on EBAY