More new upgrade cards for the Official Transformers Trading Card Game

Transformers News: More new upgrade cards for the Official Transformers Trading Card Game

Friday, August 17th, 2018 5:02PM CDT

Categories: Game News, Collectables
Posted by: ZeroWolf   Views: 14,072

Following the most recent batch of cards that have been revealed so far, fellow Seibertron user, #Sideways# has shared with us more reveals from the Official Transformers Trading Card Game facebook group. Again, these are three Upgrade cards and while these are not character specific, they do feature fan favourite characters in the art.

Peace through Tyranny

System Reboot

Power Sword

#Sideways# has also offered his thoughts on how these could be used in combination with other cards that have been revealed in the past.

#Sideways# wrote:Energy Sword makes Nemesis a lot better by allowing him to mill more of his deck, and Peace Through Tyranny is insane for Swarm strategies to both go fast early and self-destruct a dying Insecticon.

But the best of all is System Reboot. Holy crap, this thing is insane. Not only do you have access to a great draw card, disruption for your opponent, but this makes Shockwave insane.

Shockwave forces your opponent to damage their team for each card that they discard. If they have seven cards in hand (especially doable if you transformed Shockwave last turn) you can force them to discard all seven, indirectly dealing massive damage to their field.

And? You get to draw a bunch of cards while you do so.

Really quite insane.

The Official Transformers Card Game is due for release in September, and is being created by Wizards of the Coast, famous for their Magic: The Gathering card game.

Are you getting excited for this game? Let us know in the comments and stay tuned to Seibertron for the latest news and reviews.
Credit(s): Official Transformers Trading Card Game Facebook Group, #Sideways# from Seibertron

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: More new upgrade cards for the Official Transformers Trading Card Game (1979089)
Posted by WreckerJack on August 18th, 2018 @ 12:02am CDT
Nearly anything with "take another turn after this one" is a potential game ender in most TGC's.

Hand disruption plus being able to draw cards? Yes please. Might not be good in every situation but once we get a feel for the game we should know when it's time to play that card and when it's time to hold onto it. Draw more cards that you need or make your opponent drop something they just searched or if you feel they have too many cards in hand.

As for adding bold 3, I will say that does help you get through your deck faster as #sideways# had mentioned. Though because you can't deck out in this game there really isn't much of a drawback. (That could be applied to System Reboot and Power Sword both)
Re: More new upgrade cards for the Official Transformers Trading Card Game (1981501)
Posted by #Sideways# on August 31st, 2018 @ 12:31am CDT
I wrote an article for you guys documenting my current playtesting and opinions. It took a lot of time and energy I could have been using to sleep or maybe something actually productive. Enjoy!

I wrote:

OVERVIEW

I decided to proxy three Transformers Trading Card Game decks recently: Initial D (Bumblebee / Cliffjumper / Mirage), InGen (Nemesis Prime / Snarl / Swoop) and Capri Sun (Sunstorm / Slipstream / Chop Shop). I playtested them over the past two days, marking down my thoughts about the archetypes and about the game in general.

I found out a lot about not only the decks, but the game as a whole. But before I get into that last bit, lemme tell you about the decks and what they do.

Initial D
(Starter Bumblebee / Cliffjumper / Mirage)

Okay, if you know anything about the title, you know that this is a Car deck that is full of "Gas, Gas, Gas" to leave your opponents with a sense of "Deja Vu" while you're "Running In The 90s". The general sense of the deck is you constantly untap your Transformers with Ready For Action and, more importantly, Turbo Boosters. When you untap constantly, your opponent is eventually going to reach a point where all of their team is either tapped or dead and you get to attack with impunity thanks to how natural untapping in this game works.

Cliffjumper allows you to draw an extra card when you Transform other Cars, allowing you to burn through your deck more than you already do. Bumblebee is there because he's a 6 Point Leader Car which is frankly silly value. Mirage is there because he allows you to play an extra Action in a turn, meaning you get to play more draw cards/more Ready For Action, but even better, he has a natural, easy to pull-off untapping ability.

The deck also benefits from being able to play Team Up Tactics, allowing you to draw two cards with no repercussions, unlike literally all other Action draw cards in the game. You draw so many cards with this deck -- it's a little stupid. But if you whiff your untapping cards, you've got a hard time coming.

Being so small in terms of defensive abilities, Initial D can fall victim to heavy bruiser decks and get punished. Your damage output isn't as large as theirs, and you can't win going toe-to-toe with the big guys without your tools to help. It'd be like using a flashlight against a howitzer.

All in all, this deck has a low damage output. But then again, who needs huge bruising attacks when your opponent can't fight back?

Well, this next deck might.

InGen
(Nemesis Prime / Snarl / Swoop)

Something... Has... Survived...

Well, that's something your opponent would say if they hadn't just gotten one-shot by Nemesis Prime. Slow, lumbering and currently one of the most heavily damaging cards in the game, Nemesis Prime is frankly one of my favorite cards that I've seen out of this game thus far. He's also one of the game's two rarest cards to get your hands on; but man, is he worth it.

Getting him to work can be a bit trickier than it might seem, especially in a game where your opponents can just make dated anime references and untap themselves into the nth dimension, but you're a deck that can be startlingly hard to make headway into, especially with all the defensive cards you play.

Being defensive is a good thing, for certain, but it also means that you're more likely to eventually reshuffle your deck, putting Nemesis' offensive ability to a base 10(!!) or more(!?) damage, without modifiers like upgrades. For reference, a common mid-ranged HP value is around 10-13. I've one-hit 12 HP Transformers after getting this guy set up with a Grenade Launcher, and lemme tell you, there's seldom a better feeling.

The problem is getting there. But that's where you get a little help from some primal friends.

Snarl and Swoop are both Dinobots, which allow them to take advantage of "Dino-Chomp!" to give them Bold 5, flipping five extra cards from your deck for your attack. Keep in mind, you start out with two, and if you flip a white Battle Card (which you play plenty of) you flip two more, leaving you with 9 cards out of your deck and into the Scrap Pile.

The potentially heavy damage you just did aside (in my experience, you're only going to use the Dinobots to soften foes up for Nemesis to clean up), you milled almost ten cards out of your deck, a full quarter of it! Using these cards to your advantage, you can pull off the reshuffle and make Nemesis the powerhouse he deserves to be.

All in all, this deck is fantastically fun to play against Initial D, as the two are somewhat polar opposites. But the one that seems to not be getting any headway at all in my playtesting is one of the most unlikely of them all.

Capri Sun
(Sunstorm / Slipstream / Chop Shop)

On the surface, everything seems to have everything going for it. Sunstorm does more damage for every card in your hand, Slipstream keeps him alive, Chop Shop draws you cards... It even has Bombing Run to both supplement your survivability and damage output!

But here's the thing: This game revolves around playing cards. Your hand is almost never going to go above six cards, and even then you'll probably need to play something out of it. It's frustrating. I've never won with this deck, and whereas it might be a product of the deckbuilding, it might also be a problem with the contradiction of Sunstorm himself.

Sunstorm wants you to hold your hand and never play anything out of it unless it puts either more damage on the field or more cards in your hand. The problem being, you have to play cards to draw the cards that you need to stockpile more cards in your hand. Only Team Up Tactics (essentially Pot of Greed) gives you a +1 card in your hand. Everything else replaces itself, leaving your hand stagnant, hovering at about 4-6.

This is not enough.

But maybe I'm just playing the deck wrong, or perhaps my list is bad. It has potential, but until we see Skywarp, Thundercracker or Starscream to hopefully pad out the Plane support, this deck will probably not see too much success, at least against the decks I have listed above. I have literally never won with this deck. At least not yet.

It is, however, one of the most interesting of the archetypes I have built. There are also quite a few other interesting card comboes in this game -- and you should definitely take a peek when you have the time.

On The Game As A Whole

TFTCG is a blast to play. It's fun, addicting and can surprisingly make you think, desperately planning out what your opponent will do next. But there are a number of flaws that I really hope are addressed in the future.

But let me get a few things out of the way first. Keep in mind, this is without having the entire set revealed, which could potentially address a few of the issues I have listed here.

The card flipping for attacking and defending sounds annoying and adding in an unneccessary layer of randomness to the game, but surprisingly, very few times have I felt like I sacked my opponent out of a KO or I got sacked and the oddest thing is... I thought it was fun. It was enough that I thought it played little into the grand scheme of things (Nemesis was going to kill that guy anyway, frankly, regardless of flips) and it only really comes into play when it comes to 2HKOs and and to put more power in the ever-prevalent healing cards. It also helps cycle decks.

Another thing that I didn't like about the flipping mechanic was that it simply dropped useful cards into the discar-- *COUGH* I mean, Scrap Pile. I can't tell you how many times I saw a Turbo Booster fall into the Scrap Pile. It could make a man weep! I don't know how much I would say that it's a good mechanic; just that it was fun, and had several underlying purposes.

But the thing is, you can mitigate or outright remedy this by adding more topdeck rigging and tutoring effects, which brings me to my second point. This game has no tutoring, which, if you didn't know, searches your deck for specific cards to either put them on top of your deck or into your hand. Powerful, yes, but I feel it is necessary to mitigate the luck factor.

But I have an issue with this game that will be tough to remedy: Counterbalance. In Dragon Ball Super, when you're at half life, your Leader card awakens to his "final form", netting you extra cards and more powerful abilities. This mechanic drives the entire game, and it helps games from being total runaways, where the person who attacks first wins.

This game sometimes wants to fall into those failings.

Let me explain: You and an opponent start the game. Each person has three Transformers. You and your opponent trade turns a few times, but it ends up with your opponent taking the first KO on your side, putting your opponent at three Transformers and you at two. This means that, if you can't KO one of them back, you have a distinct man disadvantage and attack disadvantage. It's really easy to snowball sometimes, and I can definitely see that becoming a problem if left unchecked.

But then again, Pokemon can sometimes have the same problem. Same with Magic. Perhaps Dragon Ball simply spoiled me! But perhaps -- just perhaps -- I'm on to something.

Conclusion

TFTCG is a blast. I love this game, despite its warts, and I look forward to spending an inordinate amount of money in an attempt to finally pull a Nemesis Prime. It may seem like a game with a low skill cap, but I keep finding more nuance to it every time I play. Will it overtake Magic, Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh? Ha... Hahahaha. Ha! Hahah!

But maybe, just maybe, it could be a dark horse for other groups.

Dragon Ball might have to keep its Dragon Balls well-guarded: ROTF Devastator didn't, and look what happened to him. Vanguard and Weiss/Schwarz might just have to sleep with one anime tiddie open: Legion is in town, and Kiss Players is still very canon.

Those are just my thoughts, though. What are yours?
Re: More new upgrade cards for the Official Transformers Trading Card Game (1981510)
Posted by Va'al on August 31st, 2018 @ 3:23am CDT
Fellow Seibertronian #Sideways# wrote an article for us, after they went through the new Hasbro / Wizards of the Coast Transformers Card Game, documenting their current playtesting and opinions. The result, shared below, is a lengthy piece of thorough work, and we're happy to display it on the site for all to read. Take a look, and share your own thoughts on what we've seen so far for the game!

#Sideways# wrote:

OVERVIEW

Initial D
(Starter Bumblebee / Cliffjumper / Mirage)

Well, this next deck might.

InGen
(Nemesis Prime / Snarl / Swoop)

Something... Has... Survived...

Capri Sun
(Sunstorm / Slipstream / Chop Shop)

This is not enough.

On The Game As A Whole

This game sometimes wants to fall into those failings.

Conclusion

But maybe, just maybe, it could be a dark horse for other groups.

Those are just my thoughts, though. What are yours?
[/quote]
Re: More new upgrade cards for the Official Transformers Trading Card Game (1981635)
Posted by Epsilon Delta on August 31st, 2018 @ 7:49pm CDT
When you were talking about Sunstorm, I was thinking "Oh like Slifer. Is he going to reference Slifer? No, ah maybe he wasn't into Yugioh..." And then you said Pot of Greed... And all I could think was what does it do? Tell me! Haha.
Thanks for the article. Good read. Sounds like a fun game. Can't wait to try it out.
Re: More new upgrade cards for the Official Transformers Trading Card Game (1982476)
Posted by ZeroWolf on September 5th, 2018 @ 6:19pm CDT
It's time for another in Hasbro's Leaked from Cybertron series (which can be found on their social media accounts, Instagram and Facebook) and while the last few have been about toys from either the Generations or Studio Series lines, today's entry takes a different turn. The subject this time is Optimus Prime// Battlefield Legend! This is one of the Rares that can be found in the booster packs for the game when it releases in September.

Leaked from Cybertron wrote:Smash the competition with Optimus Prime // Battlefield Legend, a Rare card found exclusively in booster packs! Check back next week for the reveal of another Rare card!

Do you plan on getting this Prime for your deck? Let us know in the comments and stay tuned to Seibertron for the latest news and reviews.
Re: More new upgrade cards for the Official Transformers Trading Card Game (1982486)
Posted by First-Aid on September 5th, 2018 @ 7:00pm CDT
Has anyone seen the playtesting on this game? I'm very, very curious, but I'd need to get rid of my baseball cards first. I only have about 40,000 of them... :oops:
Re: More new upgrade cards for the Official Transformers Trading Card Game (1982499)
Posted by #Sideways# on September 5th, 2018 @ 7:58pm CDT
Yup! Plenty of playtesting I've done on my own. Autobot Cars seem very good, and Nemesis Prime is a close second. I'm tinkering now with Insecticons and this new Prime paired with Shockwave -- I'll let you know what I find out.
Re: More new upgrade cards for the Official Transformers Trading Card Game (1982508)
Posted by #Sideways# on September 5th, 2018 @ 8:15pm CDT
Oh by the way, I've got some scans that I was waiting to drop since I didn't want to swarm you guys with just single card reveals.

Here's Inferno:

In fact, I built Shockwave / Inferno just last night and playtested it against Cars, which I thought would be an autowin. But I was wrong. The problem is this: His ability to return cards to your opponent's hand sounds great in theory, but when your opponent plays Turbo Boosters to untap their characters to attack you ad infinitum, you really don't want to put those cards back into your opponent's hand.

It's also a tall build, meaning you only have to characters to attack with, putting you at an even bigger disadvantage to Cars. You just end up losing because you attack a total of three times in a game. You can't even take advantage of Ready For Action. Shockwave as a partner is just not cutting it.

But on his own? Inferno can really bring the pain. Just imagine him with someone to supplement his healing, using their smaller attacks to set up knockouts before finishing them off with a huge attack from Inferno. The only problem is finding someone to fit that bill. Great potential, bad partners for the moment.

This isn't a character, but I like the picture of Bombshell playing with himself.

;)

But anyway, to my thoughts.

But here's the thing. The reason why I'm so excited about this isn't that your opponent is punished for knocking out a bug on your side -- why I'm so excited is that you can use this on your turn. You can pop this thing with Skrapnel's insect mode, which knocks out one of your Insecticons to forcefully tap one of your opponent's characters. Meaning, you can choose a target and lock your opponent out of an attack with that character at the same time. But with this, though, you even get to disrupt your opponent and draw a card while you're at it.

Es wunderbar, ja?
Re: More new upgrade cards for the Official Transformers Trading Card Game (1982573)
Posted by ZeroWolf on September 6th, 2018 @ 2:21am CDT
Re: More new upgrade cards for the Official Transformers Trading Card Game (1982616)
Posted by #Sideways# on September 6th, 2018 @ 9:45am CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:Thanks #Sideways# and thanks again for your playtest diaries and thoughts. What method are you using to play test these?

Proxying. I print out their pictures and sleeve up decks of them, trying out the mechanics. Paper with a worthless Pokemon card behind them, yes, but still very effective at getting the general idea of the game.
Re: More new upgrade cards for the Official Transformers Trading Card Game (1982619)
Posted by ZeroWolf on September 6th, 2018 @ 9:55am CDT
#Sideways# wrote:

Re: More new upgrade cards for the Official Transformers Trading Card Game (1982653)
Posted by #Sideways# on September 6th, 2018 @ 1:12pm CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:I thought it was something like that :) I did the same when me and a group of friends were deep into magic and tried making our own set :lol: it was fun, a bit exhausting at times, but fun.

For sure, man. I pretty much proxy everything, especially new Pokemon decks that I play. It's cheaper than buying expensive cards, only to find out that the deck you built is mediocre.

Since I can't get my hands on the cards physically, I've been [strike]obsessing[/strike] exploring possibilities on the early metagame. May as well get an optimal deck ready to beat up some scrubs at a local tournament! lolol :P
Re: More new upgrade cards for the Official Transformers Trading Card Game (1982655)
Posted by ZeroWolf on September 6th, 2018 @ 1:29pm CDT
:lol: I'd love to do weekly article about the game once it hits, though I think I'm going to be snowed under with stuff at that point.

I hope wizards are going to support this game, there's a lot of scope for design
Re: More new upgrade cards for the Official Transformers Trading Card Game (1982668)
Posted by ZeroWolf on September 6th, 2018 @ 2:31pm CDT
Following on from yesterday's Leaked from Cybertron article about Optimus Prime//Battlefield Legend, and thanks to fellow Seibertron user, #Sideways#, we now have another Autobot to reveal for the upcoming Official Transformers Trading Card Game.

That Autobot is Inferno (sporting his Universe appearance)!

Here is #Sideways# offering his take on the card and it's abilites.
#Sideways# wrote:This guy is a tank. He hits so hard, and he defends so much, that this guy is frankly idiotic to try to take down. You'd think that the best thing about him is his ability -- and you would be wrong. It's about every other little detail about this guy added up to make a formidable tank. With three base defense, this guy blocks most damage that he is dealt. Being Ranged, he can also make use of the Rapid Assault Armor Battle Card, giving him four defense and disrupting your opponent. He also has a base eight attack, which is one of the highest in the game along with the newly revealed Optimus Prime. But even more than that, with such a high defense, you can heal off the majority of damage you take with Team Up Tactics thanks to the fact that he is a Truck.

There's also been a new upgrade card revealed:

Bug Bomb

This upgrade can only be used on Insecticons, and the art features Bombshell tinkering around with what appears to be a small version of himself. Again #Sideways# shares his thoughts on this card and the ways it might be used once released.

#Sideways# wrote:This card is really, really good. Forget about the card being scrapped from your opponent's hand -- if they've been playing the game at all, they can afford it -- but the upgrade being scrapped and a card being drawn for you? That's fantastic.

What do you make of these new reveals? Let us know in the comments and stay tuned to Seibertron for all the latest news and reviews.
Re: More new upgrade cards for the Official Transformers Trading Card Game (1982690)
Posted by steve2275 on September 6th, 2018 @ 3:35pm CDT
good looking cards
Re: More new upgrade cards for the Official Transformers Trading Card Game (1982692)
Posted by Kyleor on September 6th, 2018 @ 3:40pm CDT
Oh man, I just want posters of some of that sweet card art.
Re: More new upgrade cards for the Official Transformers Trading Card Game (1982694)
Posted by dragons on September 6th, 2018 @ 3:45pm CDT
Kyleor wrote:Oh man, I just want posters of some of that sweet card art.

Most of card art is from that transformers card game that got cancelled
Re: More new upgrade cards for the Official Transformers Trading Card Game (1982742)
Posted by Ultra Markus on September 7th, 2018 @ 12:25am CDT
i would put all the cards in a baseball card binder
Re: More new upgrade cards for the Official Transformers Trading Card Game (1982814)
Posted by ZeroWolf on September 7th, 2018 @ 2:46pm CDT
Courtesy of fellow Seibertron user, #Sideways#, we've been alerted to a hasbro press release for the imminent arrival of Metroplex in the Official Transformers Trading Card Game. This news comes to us via allspark.com. We've previously reported on the existence of the set here.

The press release is as follows:
Hasbro wrote:PAWTUCKET, RI AND RENTON, WA–SEPT. 7, 2018 – Hasbro, Inc., a global play and entertainment company, and Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro and the publishers of the seminal trading card game Magic: The Gathering, provided more details today about the METROPLEX Deck, the first expansion for the TRANSFORMERS Trading Card Game.

“The character METROPLEX is a Titan – he converts into an entire city and towers over most of the other giants of the TRANSFORMERS universe. Keeping that in mind, we knew that METROPLEX deserved an even bigger card than the game’s standard oversized character cards,” said Drew Nolosco, TRANSFORMERS Trading Card Game Brand Manager. “The METROPLEX character card is 200mm tall – almost 8 inches. Whether in bot mode or alt mode, METROPLEX is one of the biggest TRANSFORMERS characters around, and now he has a suitably Titan-sized trading card.”

The METROPLEX Deck will see the AUTOBOT Titan enter the TRANSFORMERS Trading Card Game’s ranks for the first time, but he won’t be alone. During the game, players will be able to use the METROPLEX character card to deploy his three component bots: SCAMPER, SLAMMER, and SIX-GUN.

Will you be deploying this titan? Let us know in the comments and stay tuned to Seibertron for all the latest news and reviews.
Re: More new upgrade cards for the Official Transformers Trading Card Game (1982817)
Posted by steve2275 on September 7th, 2018 @ 2:53pm CDT
he's an inch longer than my hand :lol:
Transformers products from AMAZON

Featured Products

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 30 Newman Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #207 - Through The Fargate
"Through The Fargate"
Posted: Sunday, September 9th, 2018
Transformers products from EBAY

Items Ending Soon

Buy "4PC TRANSFORMERS 5 THE LAST KNIGHT OPTIMUS PRIME MEGATRON BUMBLEBEE SQWEEKS TOY" on EBAY
Buy "KRE-O, TRANSFORMERS, BUMBLEBEE MINI KIT #31144, 2 IN 1 KIT,  75 PIECES, NIB" on EBAY
Buy "KRE-O, TRANSFORMERS, OPTIMUS PRIME MINI KIT #31143, 2 IN 1 KIT,  90 PIECES, NIB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers God Fire Convoy Clear RID TRU Exclusive Optimus Prime Takara sealed" on EBAY
Buy "JADA TRANSFORMERS 2016 CHEVY CAMARO BUMBLEBEE 1:24 DIE CAST METAL" on EBAY
Buy "[Toys Hero] In Hand Transformers Iron Factory IF-EX14L IDW Nemesis Prime IFEX14L" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime First Edition Megatron Deluxe  2011 Decepticon Loose" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers Movie Advanced AD-02 Evasion mode Optimus Prime Japan" on EBAY