Monday, October 17th, 2016 4:07pm CDT

Categories: Movie Related News, Rumors
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 72,444

We return once more to the wider cinematic universe that Paramount is looking to create with Hasbro, via Transformers first and foremost, but also the likes of MASK, GI Joe, and other franchises that will see live-action movies in the near future (Visionaries, anyone?). A fairly detailed reading, behind the paywall, of the Wall Street Journal, does some digging, but the main points that can be taken from the piece are as follows:

• The writers' room (which we reported on multiple times) has plotted out a lot of mythos for the Transformers universe and beyond, and artists were brought in too. Their goal was to create an alternate history of earth and how thre have been ties to Cybertronian technology all along. Out of the group work, The Last Knight and the 2018 Bumblebee spin-off were chosen. The preparatory material has been printed into a hardcover book, but only distributed to 'insiders'.
  • Things work in five-year business plans, as confirmed by Hasbro's Brian Goldner.
  • Paramount are looking for a different director than Bay for the next movie - and that means the 2018 animated Bumblebee on. This does not mean that Bay is definitely out. Let's make that clear!
  • The elements started in Transformers Age of Extinction and now The Last Knight will spill over into possible GI Joe and MASK stories and plans, so we'll have to wait and see what those elements actually are!

Join in the discussion in the Energon Pub, and stay tuned to find out more as we do!

Credit(s): WSJ

This article was last modified on Tuesday, October 18th, 2016 8:02am CDT

Re: More News on Paramount / Hasbro Shared Universe: New Director, Plotting Alternate Earth, Bumblebee (1834227)
Posted by Kurona on October 17th, 2016 @ 4:45pm CDT
Re: More News on Paramount / Hasbro Shared Universe: New Director, Plotting Alternate Earth, Bumblebee (1834228)
Posted by Burn on October 17th, 2016 @ 5:12pm CDT
Kurona wrote:From what I know of MASK, the Transformers movie format would be perfect for it since the main characters are actually human and hence where the focus should be (character-wise), while the transforming CGI stuff is basically just their cool mechs for the action scenes. Could be decent.

So basically the Knight Rider resurrection from a couple of years ago.
Re: More News on Paramount / Hasbro Shared Universe: New Director, Plotting Alternate Earth, Bumblebee (1834230)
Posted by Kurona on October 17th, 2016 @ 5:19pm CDT
Burn wrote:

So basically the Knight Rider resurrection from a couple of years ago.

Can't say I know of it, but basically the framework for any sort of movie where there's humans piloting impressive CGI mechs/vehicles/whatever. Pacific Rim, Batman, friggin'... probably the upcoming Power Rangers movie; you name it.
Re: More News on Paramount / Hasbro Shared Universe: New Director, Plotting Alternate Earth, Bumblebee (1834231)
Posted by BeastProwl on October 17th, 2016 @ 5:34pm CDT
Can't we at least reboot this mess before slamming even more nonsensical "plots" into it?
Re: More News on Paramount / Hasbro Shared Universe: New Director, Plotting Alternate Earth, Bumblebee (1834236)
Posted by Jeddostotle7 on October 17th, 2016 @ 6:02pm CDT
Wait, so the Bumblebee movie'll be animated? That's... unexpected.
Re: More News on Paramount / Hasbro Shared Universe: New Director, Plotting Alternate Earth, Bumblebee (1834247)
Posted by SlyTF1 on October 17th, 2016 @ 6:55pm CDT
Animated Bumblebee movie? Ok, now things are starting to get ridiculous.
Re: More News on Paramount / Hasbro Shared Universe: New Director, Plotting Alternate Earth, Bumblebee (1834248)
Posted by Kurona on October 17th, 2016 @ 6:59pm CDT
Makes sense to me, in retrospect. They're having three films over the course of three years, something they've never done before - with how expensive and time-consuming the integral CGI can be it makes sense for one of those movies to not use it. And, hence, not be live-action.
Wonder how it'll look. Think I might actually check it out if it has a pleasing aesthetic; I've always preferred animation to live-action.
Re: More News on Paramount / Hasbro Shared Universe: New Director, Plotting Alternate Earth, Bumblebee (1834427)
Posted by Munkky on October 18th, 2016 @ 12:22pm CDT
Paramount are looking for a different director than Bay for the next movie

I'm predicting a slew of threads about dream directors for Transformers 6, based entirely around one or two good movies they've made recently and regardless of whether or not that director's particular style would fit Transformers or not.
While I do plan to watch The Last Knight, TF6, and probably the Bumblebee movie as well, I do hope this shared cinematic universe craze in Hollywood fades away sooner rather than later. Marvel are the only people who have done the formula well (and this is coming from someone who doesn't like Marvel), and every time a studio announces a shared universe of movies it only ever feels like they're jumping on a bandwagon and not much time or effort is being put in. With that said, I'm still interested in seeing Justice League and Kong: Skull Island, and I hope the Hasbro shared universe does well.
Re: More News on Paramount / Hasbro Shared Universe: New Director, Plotting Alternate Earth, Bumblebee (1834429)
Posted by Sabrblade on October 18th, 2016 @ 12:25pm CDT
Munkky wrote:While I do plan to watch The Last Knight, TF6, and probably the Bumblebee movie as well,
TF6 is the Bumblebee movie.
Re: More News on Paramount / Hasbro Shared Universe: New Director, Plotting Alternate Earth, Bumblebee (1834432)
Posted by Munkky on October 18th, 2016 @ 12:35pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
TF6 is the Bumblebee movie.

Is it? I was going by the Wikipedia page, which says TF6 will be the 2019 movie made after the Bumblebee spin-off.
Re: More News on Paramount / Hasbro Shared Universe: New Director, Plotting Alternate Earth, Bumblebee (1834454)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on October 18th, 2016 @ 1:26pm CDT
I agree that the franchises should be rebooted before this shared universe thing is started. As it stands every new movie is going to have to be based around the transformers mythos, this could complicate things especially since gijoe is already a movie series. Start from scratch and do what marvel did, make individual movies but have something linking them together so you can do a cross over.
Re: More News on Paramount / Hasbro Shared Universe: New Director, Plotting Alternate Earth, Bumblebee (1834505)
Posted by Sabrblade on October 18th, 2016 @ 4:05pm CDT
Munkky wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
TF6 is the Bumblebee movie.

That's TF7. Sounds like someone on (the ever-unreliable) Wikipedia doesn't want to acknowledge the Bumblebee movie as being the sixth movie.
Re: More News on Paramount / Hasbro Shared Universe: New Director, Plotting Alternate Earth, Bumblebee (1834549)
Posted by SlyTF1 on October 18th, 2016 @ 7:58pm CDT
Re: More News on Paramount / Hasbro Shared Universe: New Director, Plotting Alternate Earth, Bumblebee (1834605)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on October 18th, 2016 @ 10:30pm CDT
Burn wrote:

So basically the Knight Rider resurrection from a couple of years ago.

I remember that. I actually thought it was semi-decent actually, but I dabble
Re: More News on Paramount / Hasbro Shared Universe: New Director, Plotting Alternate Earth, Bumblebee (1834633)
Posted by JazZeke on October 19th, 2016 @ 12:02am CDT
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:
Burn wrote:

So basically the Knight Rider resurrection from a couple of years ago.

I remember that. I actually thought it was semi-decent actually, but I dabble

It was awful. It's pseudo-science was so terrible, so stupid that it would make Doctor Who roll his eyes. One time they identified a killer by scanning the residual sound waves in a room. I couldn't stand to watch it.
Re: More News on Paramount / Hasbro Shared Universe: New Director, Plotting Alternate Earth, Bumblebee (1834634)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on October 19th, 2016 @ 12:06am CDT
JazZeke wrote:
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:
Burn wrote:

So basically the Knight Rider resurrection from a couple of years ago.

I remember that. I actually thought it was semi-decent actually, but I dabble

Like I said, I thought it was semi-decent. I was also 13 at the time and had no background information on it at the time. It was something fun to watch before going to bed
Re: More News on Paramount / Hasbro Shared Universe: New Director, Plotting Alternate Earth, Bumblebee (1834635)
Posted by JazZeke on October 19th, 2016 @ 12:11am CDT
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:
JazZeke wrote:
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:
Burn wrote:

So basically the Knight Rider resurrection from a couple of years ago.

I remember that. I actually thought it was semi-decent actually, but I dabble

And now you made me feel old. Thank you very much.
Re: More News on Paramount / Hasbro Shared Universe: New Director, Plotting Alternate Earth, Bumblebee (1838325)
Posted by TulioDude on November 1st, 2016 @ 9:44pm CDT
Re: More News on Paramount / Hasbro Shared Universe: New Director, Plotting Alternate Earth, Bumblebee (1838328)
Posted by Sabrblade on November 1st, 2016 @ 9:54pm CDT
TulioDude wrote:I imagine the Bumblebee spin-off being like a movie interpretation of the RID cartoon(2015),with Bumblebee forming his own team to fight a menace that lingers on Earth.
Unless it's a prequel set on Cybertron showing us how he lost his voice (*RIP Movie Prequel comics* :cry: )
Re: More News on Paramount / Hasbro Shared Universe: New Director, Plotting Alternate Earth, Bumblebee (1838631)
Posted by TulioDude on November 2nd, 2016 @ 9:34pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:

In my mind,the most likely thing would be few flashback scenes,maybe even to show something the carries to the present,and Bumblebee in the present,with him remembering or telling these events.

The talk off a bigger universe makes me feel like they wouldn't so eager to forget the other stories,at least not from here onward anyway.

Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Autobot Ratchet" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Clobber" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Nucleon and Galvatron" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #268 - Call Me 2020
"Call Me 2020"
Posted: Monday, January 18th, 2021

Buy "TRANSFORMERS OPTIMUS PRIME WESTERN STAR 5700 XE TRUCK ? BARRICADE JADA DIECAST" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers: Age Of Extinction- Hammer Strike Snarl" on EBAY
Buy "KBB Transformers GT-05 Optimus Prime MP-10 G1 Pocket Size Combat commander-12cm" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Transformers Mr Potato Head Bumble Spud Collectible Children’s Toy" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Dinobot Slog Voyager Class Age of Extinction Hasbro NEW SEALED" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Combiner Force Dragstrip Wildbreak Dragbreak" on EBAY
Buy "IRONHIDE TRANSFORMERS DARK OF THE MOON MECHTECH WEAPON SYSTEM LEADER CLASS" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Revenge of The Fallen Bumble Spud Mr. Potato Head" on EBAY