More pics of Masterpiece Rodimus Prime / Convoy prototype

Transformers News: More pics of Masterpiece Rodimus Prime / Convoy prototype

Friday, July 30th, 2010 12:03AM CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: Seibertron   Views: 42,754

TFsource.com just let us know that 3rd party company iGear toys has just posted some new photos of Masterpiece Rodimus Convoy in their Facebook galleries. We have mirrored some of the images below for your convenience in case you don't use Facebook.

Credit(s): TFsource.com, iGear Toys

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: More pics of Masterpiece Rodimus Prime / Convoy prototype (1105806)
Posted by LiKwid on July 30th, 2010 @ 12:34am CDT
I'm not digging the Bell bottoms..not one bit at all....

Still too early to pass total judgement though..Everyone take a breath :) 8-}
Re: More pics of Masterpiece Rodimus Prime / Convoy prototype (1105807)
Posted by Seibertron on July 30th, 2010 @ 12:36am CDT
LiKwid wrote:I'm not digging the Bell bottoms..not one bit at all....

Still too early to pass total judgement though..Everyone take a breath :) 8-}

I think I'm still holding it but my opinion hasn't changed from "meh" yet. this might be the first prototype masterpiece that I've been disappointed with so far.
Re: More pics of Masterpiece Rodimus Prime / Convoy prototype (1105811)
Posted by Samurai Bludgeon on July 30th, 2010 @ 12:40am CDT
Looking at that it dont seem like its hot rod and rodiums prime all in one... that robot mode dont really look capable of a stand-alone hot rod... would be nice if it did-probably the only reason I would get this is if it did...otherwise Im not really feeling it. Too bad too cuz I lvoe new stuff but the cost here just isnt gonna be worth it to me (rather gogo predaking)
Re: More pics of Masterpiece Rodimus Prime / Convoy prototype (1105818)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on July 30th, 2010 @ 12:50am CDT
It looks to me like the face can also revolve, ala the MP seekers, meaning there's probably a Hot Rod mug on the other side. The hood/chest looks like it can fold forward/down too, implying not only matrix storage (too bad no one on the cartoon or comics could agree just how his chest opened), but also engine block storage so the cab can become Hot Rod's vehicle mode too, if the canopy slides back to make room for it. I'm guessing that's the explanation for the spoiler too: it should be all the way forward in that slot, but is mistransformed into Hot Rod configuration, leaving it too concealed.

Due partly to the odd nature of G1 RP's robot mode, no TF deserved the MP treatment more than the chosen one. And I may be the only one to say this, but to me, Op seemed so much greater in hindsight that he should've tried harder to stay dead and let Rodimus fulfill the role of leader of the free-universe. And I think the recent release of MP DeadMaster--I mean "Sleep Mode" Optimus might back me up on this.

And I'll always love his unique alt-mode too, probably the only TF RV we'll ever get unless Crossovers makes a deal with Ben 10 to give us Rustbucket-former.
Re: More pics of Masterpiece Rodimus Prime / Convoy prototype (1105819)
Posted by DavidT on July 30th, 2010 @ 12:56am CDT
yeah, it kinda looks like the helmet can open and the face can rotate or something. Looks like at the back of his neck there may be a hinge that the helmet pivots open and close... I wouldn't count out the idea of him being able to be Hot Rod also...

Re: More pics of Masterpiece Rodimus Prime / Convoy prototype (1105824)
Posted by kirbenvost on July 30th, 2010 @ 1:17am CDT
I hope you're right, because I'd really love to be able to display an MP Hot Rod. Rodimus Prime will be cool, but unfortunately a little 'meh' in comparison.
Re: More pics of Masterpiece Rodimus Prime / Convoy prototype (1105826)
Posted by Botswanky on July 30th, 2010 @ 1:29am CDT
Not a big fan of Rodimus, but he makes for a nice toy robot. Might even consider buying him, especially since I really don't like Grimlock or want the Grimlock MP figure. :BOT:
Re: More pics of Masterpiece Rodimus Prime / Convoy prototype (1105843)
Posted by Dead Metal on July 30th, 2010 @ 2:51am CDT
He looks meh, He's oddly tiny I guess the robot-mode is voyager sized.
Re: More pics of Masterpiece Rodimus Prime / Convoy prototype (1105844)
Posted by Mykltron on July 30th, 2010 @ 2:51am CDT
My my, isn't he skinny?
Re: More pics of Masterpiece Rodimus Prime / Convoy prototype (1105845)
Posted by Prime Riblet on July 30th, 2010 @ 2:56am CDT
I honestly don't have any desire to own this. I have no quibbles with it at all, but Rodimus is not my cup of tea at all. He has one of my least favorite alt modes of all time, and his character is not my favorite either. Hot Rod would be a different story, but Rodimus Prime just blows, IMO.
I will likely get blasted for having that opinion, but that is the way I feel about it.
Re: More pics of Masterpiece Rodimus Prime / Convoy prototype (1105847)
Posted by Autobot032 on July 30th, 2010 @ 3:09am CDT
Well, I'm not sure what to think here. They got the face right, they got the vehicle mode right, but something just seems off about it. He's a tad too scrawny, that's one of the problems, but I just can't put my finger on it. Something's off.

I do think he'll be capable of Hot Rod's look though. There's too much to fold and unfold for it to be a simple Rodimus Prime figure.

I am impressed with one thing, something I didn't think they'd be able to pull off...his arm transformation. It looks like it pivots around like Hot Rod's did in the movie, where the fenders spin 180 to create the arms.

If that's the case, then they've truly impressed me, because that's never been accomplished before.
Re: More pics of Masterpiece Rodimus Prime / Convoy prototype (1105867)
Posted by 009* on July 30th, 2010 @ 4:08am CDT
Rodimus look a little scrawny there. Hope he's the same size as Optimus though.
Re: More pics of Masterpiece Rodimus Prime / Convoy prototype (1105873)
Posted by RodimusConvoy13 on July 30th, 2010 @ 4:24am CDT
Re: More pics of Masterpiece Rodimus Prime / Convoy prototype (1105877)
Posted by Mykltron on July 30th, 2010 @ 4:34am CDT
RodimusConvoy13 wrote:I'm apparently in a minority here, but I think he looks awesome! I can't wait to see a painted version. He looks like he should look. I don't think he's "too skinny." I also don't see where he's only the size of a voyager. There's nothing to compare size against, so my guess is the figure is larger than a voyager. As for the bell bottom comment, that's what he looks like. HIs legs aways flared out at the bottom. If I really dig deep enough to criticize the look, I think his face kinda looks like John Kerry. :grin:

I was thinking Ted Danson but you're closer to the mark!
Re: More pics of Masterpiece Rodimus Prime / Convoy prototype (1105878)
Posted by Convotron on July 30th, 2010 @ 4:36am CDT
It seems like I'm one of the few who like the look of MP Rodimus. The more I look at the bot mode, the more I like it. I really like how it looks like the designer(s) took G1 Rodimus' animation model and translated it as a functional transforming toy. The sculpted detail is wonderful, especially on the legs, which in the cartoon look woefully simplistic. The prototype has a regal and statuesque appearance in bot mode, which I like.

As far as the "too scrawny" situation with the figure...I don't know, I always saw the animation model of Rodimus Prime being a taller and proportionally skinnier version of Hot Rod so the proportions of MP Rodimus look good to me. Now, I'll admit that it's been a few years since I watched the post movie seasons of the cartoon so my memory may be rusty but I think a lankier look to Rodimus seems right.

I think something that may be putting some people off or at least leaving them with a neutral impression of the toy is that MP Rodimus is neither spot on accurate to the animation model nor is it a radically changed character design. It's a hybrid that people don't expect to see as a Masterpiece figure. Maybe that's what's giving some people a lukewarm feeling of the figure.
Re: More pics of Masterpiece Rodimus Prime / Convoy prototype (1105893)
Posted by Botswanky on July 30th, 2010 @ 5:24am CDT
"The prototype has a regal and statuesque appearance in bot mode, which I like."

Very well put. :BOT:

BTW, Anyone have a mint condition Botcon Black light Clench Poster they want to sell?
Re: More pics of Masterpiece Rodimus Prime / Convoy prototype (1105903)
Posted by Jesterhead on July 30th, 2010 @ 5:47am CDT
I personally love the flaming space winnebago alt mode. But I'm luke warm on the toy. They got the alt mode, they got the robot mode. I think I might just not be a fan of the base/trailer. I'll have to wait to see the exact size and paint of the toy before I make a final judgment. Good or bad, I'm excited to see a painted prototype!
Re: More pics of Masterpiece Rodimus Prime / Convoy prototype (1105910)
Posted by Jazz-1982 on July 30th, 2010 @ 5:54am CDT
I think he looks fantastic. Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but how many Transformers are?
I'm glad he doesn't look too big as I preferred Grimlock and the seekers heights

It's G1 accurate except with what looks like excellent mobility. I'm really looking forward to this. If it's Hot Rod and Rodimus together then great but if it's not, this guy is still mine as soon as the Japanese pre-order is up.
Re: More pics of Masterpiece Rodimus Prime / Convoy prototype (1105914)
Posted by Gauntlet101010 on July 30th, 2010 @ 5:56am CDT
Why the long face, Rodimus? Being leader isn't that bad is it?

Actually, these pictures make me think he *can* turn into Rodimus. The back setup suggests a fully formed Roddie vehicle mode, the face seems to rotate and even the gun looks like it cxan transform.
Re: More pics of Masterpiece Rodimus Prime / Convoy prototype (1105922)
Posted by Tigertrack on July 30th, 2010 @ 6:07am CDT
I have reservations.

For those that argued the MP Grimlock was WAY too similar in transformation and actual likeness to his G1-toy self, I see the toy, at least right now in that light.

I really hope they used all the joints and such on the robot, because they did nothing to upgrade the trailer from the G1 version. Unfolds.

So, the robot. If the creators missed the boat here, and it looks like they might have, it SHOULD have two modes, Hot Rod and Rodimus Prime. At this time, it looks like it does not which we be VERY disappointing to me anyway.

Other than some new joints and articulation how would this really be considered an MP? Yes, I hear it has a face changing gimmick from young to old, but the face is not the only thing that makes Hot Rod.

I am very, very reserved on my feelings for this toy. I enjoy MP's and the Hot Rod/Rodimus character so I am almost 100% sure that it will find space on my shelf, but I was really hoping for more, again from what we can see, but maybe my thoughts are unrealistic based on engineering possibilities and cost.

More information please. :BOT:
Transformers products from AMAZON

Featured Products

Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
You save: 29%
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Legends Class Skrapnel" on AMAZON
You save: 23%