My Pick for the Best Toy to give a Younger Transformers Fan this Christmas

My Pick for the Best Toy to give a Younger Transformers Fan this Christmas

Wednesday, December 18th, 2019 10:51am CST

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 22,742

Christmas is a week away!!!!!!!!!!!!! Since I do sell part of my collection on the side, I have been bombarded by people buying from me for last minute Christmas presents, especially since the shelves only have a small subset of all the characters the brand has to offer. However, most requests and questions have been parents and since all I have to sell is more collector oriented pieces, I don't have anything for 4-5 year olds.

Parents seem to ask for the same thing, a big durable toy that can transform, look good and yet not be too difficult and not too expensive. So basically, a toy from the Cybertron era back when there was no divide between collectors and kids, but of course a toy that can still be found on the shelves right now. And I recommend the same toy each time, so much so that I thought of writing this quick editorial to help any parent who is still looking for a nice big Transformer toy for their kids.

My pick is Cyberverse Ultimate Class Grimlock. I have written a whole review about him and how awesome it is for a kid's toy.

Transformers News: My Pick for the Best Toy to give a Younger Transformers Fan this Christmas

No other toy aimed at kids even comes close to being as awesome as him. He is very imposing and really commands the space he takes. While he is light, the plastic feels strong and durable. The transformation is not too difficult but interesting and there are even surprises in it for people who know the typical Grimlock conversion inside and out. He has decent poseability and fine gimmicks that don't get in the way. Plus, he is the size of a leader class toy, almost 9 inches tall and only costs $30 USD ($40 CAD).

And he transforms into a Dinosaur, something still awesome for kids to discover. So, if you are a parent with a kid who loves Dinosaurs and Robots and you want to introduce Transformers to them and also want to wow them with a big toy while not breaking the bank, this is the one for you.

Here are some links, where you can still get him in time for Christmas, followed by more images of the toy.

Amazon US https://www.amazon.com/Transformers-E48 ... 174&sr=8-1

Walmart US https://www.walmart.com/ip/Transformers ... /996149196

Amazon Canada https://www.amazon.ca/Hasbro-Transforme ... 169&sr=1-5

If you want to see a review, here is one below from Emgo who shares these same thoughts.

This article was last modified on Wednesday, December 18th, 2019 11:04am CST

Re: My Pick for the Best Toy to give a Younger Transformers Fan this Christmas (2047256)
Posted by william-james88 on December 18th, 2019 @ 10:57am CST
Munkky wrote:These Deluxes haven't been appearing for pre-order on any UK websites I often use, the only Cyberverse products In Demand Toys stock right now are Spark Armour Cheetor and Warrior Slipstream, and Kapow Toys only have Slipstream (is that figure seriously THAT popular?). Optimus and Megatron are on UK Amazon for £20.99 each, so I may just get them from there.

Most online stores for collectors have been ignoring Cyberverse so when these new collector friendly toys came out, it was in their blind spot. Only hasbro (through Google) is offering these toys for order online in the US. So general retail stores, like Amazon UK, will really be your best bet.
Re: My Pick for the Best Toy to give a Younger Transformers Fan this Christmas (2047257)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 18th, 2019 @ 11:01am CST
william-james88 wrote:Maybe we werent clear but these are not not just a little smaller than Ultra Class, they are A LOT smaller.

These new deluxes are the same size as the windblade in this image below, which is standing next to Ultra Class Grimlock.

That Grimlock is the Ultimate Class, not the Ultra Class. Cyberverse Ultra Class toys are the roughly Voyager-sized ones like Alpha Trion.
Re: My Pick for the Best Toy to give a Younger Transformers Fan this Christmas (2047258)
Posted by carytheone on December 18th, 2019 @ 11:07am CST
william-james88 wrote:"Holiday buyiers guide"
I really like the idea of a holiday buying guide and wouldn't mind seeing it expanded with more recommendations and/or other age groups. That could be a cool article/thread with Seibertron staff recommendations. Maybe pair it with the year in review article?

Anyway, cool concept! I like it ;)^
Re: My Pick for the Best Toy to give a Younger Transformers Fan this Christmas (2047260)
Posted by Z3ROhour on December 18th, 2019 @ 11:22am CST
Agreed!

I have one
and it is fun, simple and accurate to a very high standard.

I have given 2 already
and have recommended it to several friends and to just ordinary people shopping.

Cool.
Re: My Pick for the Best Toy to give a Younger Transformers Fan this Christmas (2047261)
Posted by william-james88 on December 18th, 2019 @ 11:24am CST
Sabrblade wrote:

Ah dammit, sorry siegedude! Well i can still salvage this. Ultra class would be as big as jetfire in the pic above and these new deluxes would be as big as windblade.
Re: My Pick for the Best Toy to give a Younger Transformers Fan this Christmas (2047262)
Posted by chuckdawg1999 on December 18th, 2019 @ 11:29am CST
Re: My Pick for the Best Toy to give a Younger Transformers Fan this Christmas (2047263)
Posted by SGMLordMirage on December 18th, 2019 @ 11:49am CST
The minute I saw Grimlock in the store, I was impressed and love him. Unfortunately, while I do not collect this line, this one definitely makes it temping has I continue to see him on the shelves in stores.
Re: My Pick for the Best Toy to give a Younger Transformers Fan this Christmas (2047264)
Posted by william-james88 on December 18th, 2019 @ 12:50pm CST
SGMLordMirage wrote:Definitely concur with this as an idea to give to a young transformer fan or like it was mentioned, if someone likes Dinosaurs.

You could do like what I did and just purchase him without needing to purchase others in the line. And he's G1 enough that he can fit in other collections or just look good on a shelf. And since he's plenty enough on the shelves and online, he's easier to get at a sale price (like 20% off at target). That makes it really good value for less than $25. he feels like a kid's toy but a good kid's toy, like the Cybertron toys of yore (I really miss that line).

carytheone wrote:
william-james88 wrote:"Holiday buyiers guide"

Anyway, cool concept! I like it ;)^

That's very kind of you Cary, I don't know if parents read this site much but in the off chance they do I wanted to help. I also want them to avoid buying other kid friendly TF toys that I know are not as good as this one. I can totally see this as a a kid,s cherished toy that could get him into more complex transformers when he gets older (as another nice big transforming T-rex toy did for little William).

About your idea of the concept, I could expand on it next year. Like pick for toy of the year from staff for age groups. I hate the alternative you get in the lobbied Toy of the Year lists at toysrus or Walmart where its basically just what is the big toy to spend most of your money on this year.
Re: My Pick for the Best Toy to give a Younger Transformers Fan this Christmas (2047265)
Posted by william-james88 on December 18th, 2019 @ 1:00pm CST
Another thanks on chuck for his review of Transformers Cyberverse Deluxe Bumblebee.

chuckdawg1999 wrote:Following up on Megatron is Bumblebee, while not as good as Megatron, it's probably the best deluxe class Bumblebee I've handled. My one complaint with the figure is that the wings can bump into the shoulder pads and limit arm articulation, small potatoes honestly as you can adjust things to your liking. Overall, this is a very, very solid figure and worth the purchase.

These toys have yet to be found at US retail, so if you find them, let us know!
Re: My Pick for the Best Toy to give a Younger Transformers Fan this Christmas (2047267)
Posted by carytheone on December 18th, 2019 @ 1:25pm CST
william-james88 wrote:
carytheone wrote:
william-james88 wrote:"Holiday buyiers guide"

Anyway, cool concept! I like it ;)^

I think a lot of the people here are parents ;) Realistically I don't know how the site's google analytics work or how effective it is at getting non TF fans to visit. But I will say as a fairly informed TF fan that doesn't have kids (but has a nephew), it is a good source of info to get a quick recommendation for the younger audience. I'd have no idea what to recommend to a parent.

I enjoy reading the holiday buyers guides a lot of the video game sites put out. Sometimes you'll find a hidden gem you didn't even know existed.
Re: My Pick for the Best Toy to give a Younger Transformers Fan this Christmas (2047269)
Posted by Rysquad on December 18th, 2019 @ 1:32pm CST
I've also found the Cyber Series/Cyber Battalion line (US: Walgreens), great for kids 3 to 5.
Re: My Pick for the Best Toy to give a Younger Transformers Fan this Christmas (2047272)
Posted by aronjlove on December 18th, 2019 @ 2:12pm CST
william-james88 wrote:I can totally see this as a a kid,s cherished toy that could get him into more complex transformers when he gets older (as another nice big transforming T-rex toy did for little William).

This is why I love Transformers. The toys themselves encourage problem solving. Even if your method of solving the problem is finding a video on Youtube and follow along. As a computer guy, a lot of my job is find stuff on google and repeating lol.
Re: My Pick for the Best Toy to give a Younger Transformers Fan this Christmas (2047296)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on December 18th, 2019 @ 6:02pm CST
My deluxes are supposed to arrive tomorrow, I am ready to see them!

I also agree about the Ultimate Grimlock. That toy is fantastic, I love it. It is worth getting as the lone Cyberverse toy you ever get.
Re: My Pick for the Best Toy to give a Younger Transformers Fan this Christmas (2047301)
Posted by SiegeFan on December 18th, 2019 @ 6:18pm CST
william-james88 wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

Absolutely confirms it for me, thank you!

Unfortunately it means they're insanely priced here in the UK at least.
Re: My Pick for the Best Toy to give a Younger Transformers Fan this Christmas (2047303)
Posted by ZeroWolf on December 18th, 2019 @ 6:27pm CST
Re: My Pick for the Best Toy to give a Younger Transformers Fan this Christmas (2047308)
Posted by william-james88 on December 18th, 2019 @ 6:58pm CST
SiegeFan wrote:
william-james88 wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

Absolutely confirms it for me, thank you!

Unfortunately it means they're insanely priced here in the UK at least.

Isnt it the same price as Siege deluxes and studio series deluxes?
Re: My Pick for the Best Toy to give a Younger Transformers Fan this Christmas (2047309)
Posted by SiegeFan on December 18th, 2019 @ 7:17pm CST
ZeroWolf wrote:Aren't they priced the same as Siege Deluxes though? Some of them are being sold in excess of £20 so that price for deluxe Cyberverse is right in line with the other lines. I mean if shops like Symths get them in, they'll likely go on sakeyat some point.

Most of my deluxes have been around £17 online from multiple stores, that's where I've bought almost all my deluxes. Even Smyths sell newer ones like Refraktor and Crosshairs for £17 (if you can find them), with voyagers hitting around £24 or under depending on age and availability.
Re: My Pick for the Best Toy to give a Younger Transformers Fan this Christmas (2047310)
Posted by SiegeFan on December 18th, 2019 @ 7:27pm CST
william-james88 wrote:Isnt it the same price as Siege deluxes and studio series deluxes?

IME...

Cyberverse Ultra Class = £20 RRP short of a sale

Siege Deluxes = £17 or thereabouts both online and in Smyths and the like

The Amazon £21 price isn't far from £23/24 Siege Voyagers, unfortunately. And that's only with the recent price increases across the whole IP. That's crazy for something that small, IMO.

And even Earthrise Voyagers have stayed around £22-24 pre-orders online and in stores.
Re: My Pick for the Best Toy to give a Younger Transformers Fan this Christmas (2047324)
Posted by ZeroWolf on December 19th, 2019 @ 3:59am CST
Re: My Pick for the Best Toy to give a Younger Transformers Fan this Christmas (2047326)
Posted by SiegeFan on December 19th, 2019 @ 6:58am CST
ZeroWolf wrote:I think you need to look at them more then just the size. Remember deluxe has a meaning beyond size. I think they're priced right. In a funny sense this is similar to the argument over Siege Astrotrain being voyager sized but sold at leader Class price point.

It's the whole shebang in my terms. Size and/or price together I'm not really fussed about, like I'll happily buy ER Cliffy, for instance.

But when I'm buying an entire line in all likelihood at £21 each and they're not as good as a more detailed (in every way) £17 Siege figure... It's incredibly tough to justify.

In this instance it comes down to sheer value and I just don't think these have it. At least the insane £20 for Ultra class figs gave you shelf presence even if construction was dire.

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Voyager Inferno Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Brawn" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Voyager Class Roadbuster Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #262 - Generational Taxonomy
"Generational Taxonomy"
Posted: Sunday, October 25th, 2020

Buy "Transformers Studio Series Constructicon Scrapper #60 Voyager Class Case Fresh" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Collaborative Ghostbusters Ecto-1 Ectotron with Slimer MISB" on EBAY
Buy "New Transformers Siege War For Cybertron Leader Class Shockwave MISB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titanium series Robots in Disguise Optimus prime" on EBAY
Buy "Dropkick Transformers Studio Series 22 Deluxe Bumblebee Movie Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege War for Cybertron Lot Springer and Starscream" on EBAY