Transformers News: NC Comicon 2017 - IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe The Movie Adaptation Released with Exclusive Cover

Saturday, March 18th, 2017 4:01PM CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, Event News
Posted by: ScottyP   Views: 23,654

Continuing our coverage of NC Comicon 2017 (you can read our summary of the Transformers comics panel hosted by John Barber here), we bring you news that the Transformers vs. G.I. Joe The Movie Adaptation one-shot has been released at the convention, with an exclusive convention cover! This is a few days early, with the book expected to be available at your local comic shop and online this upcoming Wednesday, March 22nd.

We've mirrored an image of the exclusive cover below for your viewing pleasure.

Let your fellow Seibertronians know how excited you are for this book (of course you are, right?) by replying to this post, and keep it here on Seibertron.com for continuing coverage of anything you need to know from the 2017 NC Comicon.
Credit(s): IDW Publishing

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: NC Comicon 2017 - IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe The Movie Adaptation Released with Exclusive Cover (1867629)
Posted by Cobotron on March 18th, 2017 @ 8:37pm CDT
Of course I is excited for this book.
And the MOVIE! :KREMZEEK: :POPCORN:
Re: NC Comicon 2017 - IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe The Movie Adaptation Released with Exclusive Cover (1867680)
Posted by Supreme Convoy on March 19th, 2017 @ 1:44am CDT
Love this comic. Excited about The Movie Adaptation this upcoming week!
Re: NC Comicon 2017 - IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe The Movie Adaptation Released with Exclusive Cover (1867710)
Posted by ScottyP on March 19th, 2017 @ 10:46am CDT
Read the print copy that I picked up at the show yesterday. This thing is hilarious! The extra space is used for, well, I won't spoil it but they use the additional pages of the "annual" format in a very fun way :)
Re: NC Comicon 2017 - IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe The Movie Adaptation Released with Exclusive Cover (1867797)
Posted by Va'al on March 20th, 2017 @ 12:05am CDT

Re: NC Comicon 2017 - IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe The Movie Adaptation Released with Exclusive Cover (1867799)
Posted by Supreme Convoy on March 20th, 2017 @ 1:50am CDT
Va'al wrote:This month was supposed to see the release of the hardcover collection of the Tom Scioli series Transformers vs G.I. Joe, dubbed 'the quintessential collection' and covered by us here. After yesterday's news of the Movie Adaption release, however, we've also learned that the whole book will be delayed to include the one-shot issue too! We have yet to find out how long the delay will actually be, but stay tuned for more information as we receive it here at Seibertron.com, and whet your appetite on our database entry here.

I'm totally okay with this because having the Movie Adaptation in the Quintessential Collection makes total sense.

It would drive me crazy to have it separate.
Re: NC Comicon 2017 - IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe The Movie Adaptation Released with Exclusive Cover (1867804)
Posted by dragons on March 20th, 2017 @ 6:24am CDT
I like look of snake eyes in picture everything else not to much glad it's going under way
Re: NC Comicon 2017 - IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe The Movie Adaptation Released with Exclusive Cover (1867848)
Posted by Rodimus Knight on March 20th, 2017 @ 12:39pm CDT
Okay, so this is the first time I've even heard of a Transformers VS GI Movie. IS there actually one, or is this just a script of a movie that was never made?
Re: NC Comicon 2017 - IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe The Movie Adaptation Released with Exclusive Cover (1867850)
Posted by Cobotron on March 20th, 2017 @ 12:46pm CDT
It's really just a joke. It's just the title of the comic.
How that plays into the story in this one-off is yet to be determined.
Until Wednesday at least.
Re: NC Comicon 2017 - IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe The Movie Adaptation Released with Exclusive Cover (1868879)
Posted by Supreme Convoy on March 23rd, 2017 @ 11:49pm CDT
Read The Movie Adaptation yesterday and LOVED it.

If you thought Transformers Vs. GI Joe was bananas, Tom Scioli dials it up to 11. Not a literal literal adaptation of the comic series, but it touches upon the highlights of the run and gives them a cool twist.

You can almost imagine music from the GI Joe and Transformers animated movies while reading it. And for anyone that grew up reading comic movie adaptations, this is a loving tribute to those as well. Those comics tend to also touch upon the highlights of a movie within a short amount of pages.

Also, I'm a big fan of this homage to The Right Stuff.

Highly recommended for anyone that loved the Transformers Vs. GI Joe comic.
Re: NC Comicon 2017 - IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe The Movie Adaptation Released with Exclusive Cover (1869926)
Posted by Cobotron on March 28th, 2017 @ 12:08am CDT
Critics are raving about Tom Scioli's hit new (non)motion picture(book) Transformers vs. G.I. Joe The Movie Adaptation.

"Best toy-to-movie movie since Masters of the Universe" - Roger Ebot

"The Silver Screen hasn't seen special effects this good since Clash of the Titans." - Gene Siskeltron

"Tom Scioli is, the second coming of Dino De Laurentiis." -Leonard Maltron

Transformers VS. G.I. Joe The Movie Adaptation

Written, Drawn, Colored, and Lettered by:
Tom Scioli

Additional Production by:
Chris Mowry

Edited by:
Carlos Guzman

Publisher:
Ted Adams

Hopefully by now we all know that there is no actual movie, but what there is is a fantastic one-off romp through Scioli's mad-capped mash-up of some of our favorite Hasbroites. This book is certainly meant to be a one time adventure, and redelivers on all the weird and crazy story telling wrapped in the warped artistic package fans of the series have come to expect. It does not disappoint.

The story line is almost new, touching on and rehashing some of the more prevalent themes from the original series, but condensing them down into a more cohesive "screen play", if you will.

-Story

The story opens with the age old notion that Cybertronian's and Earthling's fates have been intertwined through out the annals of time.

Stop! Hammer of time!

The tale is told more through the narrative of the Joes. Scioli covers a lot of ground quickly through "A Letter to Sis" as written by Snake eyes.

Let 'em have it boys!

And primarily through that of Scarlet. Like other live action Transformers movies, it relies heavily on the "human element".

What is love? Baby don't hurt me. Don't hurt me. No more.

The story delves deeply into the minds and emotions of our favorite sentient heroes. Unbreakable bonds of love. The comradery of war hardened allies. The essence of the evils that threaten the very fabric of our cosmos. The trials and tribulations of family.

But it leaves plenty of room for some hard hitting, Cobra stomping, Con slagging action!

You've been HAWKED!

There's only room for one snake on this plane.

Optimus! You sank my Battle Ship! TM

The book reads fast and furious which adds to the fun. It does feel a tad rushed, and perhaps merely an avenue to get some of the better ideas left on the cutting room floor from the original series, back into the pages of a comic.

But it still manages to make for an action-packed smash hit blockbuster thrill-ride of the summer!

-Art

A point of contention for many who have tried Scioli's works. But it's important to note that he knows exactly what he's doing. A great teacher once told me, "You can't break the rules, unless you know what the rules are. Otherwise you are just making a mess".

While Scioli's art appears at first glance to be juvenile, and an amateur mess, he knows exactly what he's doing. He knows the rules well, and he is breaking them with grace and style. Each panel is laid out in a composition that keeps the eye moving all around the frame. He does so even in his line work. At times I found myself re-reading the text several times because my brain was to busy keeping up with my roving eye. His use of color also adds to the musical mayhem of each panel using almost annoyingly florescent hues to garner focus on the subject, again leading the eye back and forth around the composition. Even his placement of the word bubbles and the text within them adds to this element of composition. Concreting him as a true wizard in the art of comic books.

Just TRY to sit still, eyeball!

Of course one of the best parts of Scioli's art are the sight gags!

No silly quip necessary.

One thing I did feel was missing, and probably my favorite thing about the original series, were the two-page Where's Waldo-esque spreads that one could spend hours poring over always finding some new hidden surprise tucked into the the intricacies of the drawing.

-Low Down
Over all the book is a good fun read, packed with all the silliness and splendor we got from the series. It was just nice to have one more jaunt through Scioli's childhood world of imaginary fantasies. If you enjoyed the series, there's no reason why you shouldn't enjoy this film/not a film.

.:BOT: :BOT: :GIJOE: :BOT: out of :BOT: :BOT: :COBRA: :BOT: :BOT:

Oh! And don't forget, the DVD comes packed with bonus features. Including cast interviews and making of featurettes! ;)
Re: NC Comicon 2017 - IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe The Movie Adaptation Released with Exclusive Cover (1870150)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on March 29th, 2017 @ 3:44am CDT
Them autobots will have to be walking super slow not to step on the slow walking Joes.

I read it. Well.. I dunno if that's the right word. I...experienced it? I dunno why as I wasn't a big fan of the miniseries but the curiosity of 'movie' got me. It's different and it probably appeals to some folk.
Re: NC Comicon 2017 - IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe The Movie Adaptation Released with Exclusive Cover (1870166)
Posted by Kurona on March 29th, 2017 @ 8:17am CDT
My feelings on this are essentially my feelings on the original series amped up to ten - it's obviously and clearly meant to be bizarre and tongue-in-cheek and anyone trying to read it as anything but will not have a good time. But I have a lot of trouble deciding if it's so bizarre and tongue-in-cheek that it's incredible, or so bizarre and tongue-in-cheek it just leaves me confused and raising my eyebrow. It really tightropes that line for me, and this sort of thing scarcely has a safety net.

While I don't really want to remind everyone of it, my feelings on the intent behind IDW's Revolution remain the same - that there's clearly a lot of heart and love that went into it and there certainly feels to be some sort of passion project in there, but it just ends up falling apart at the seams. And that might be how I feel about this. There's a lot of love in there, the creative team is obviously having a ball, I get what they're going for... but I just cannot decide if it delivers or not.

One definite positive I can say though is that I really like how they treated the whole movie adaption thing. The changes made and the things left intact and the things added in really do feel like something a movie adaption would do to a comic series like this, so I can definitely applaud the comic in that sense at least.
Re: NC Comicon 2017 - IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe The Movie Adaptation Released with Exclusive Cover (1870218)
Posted by cruizerdave on March 29th, 2017 @ 10:27am CDT
It's like the holdouts who still claim that Miller's DK2 was brilliant, and if you didn't like it, that's just because you don't get it ... No, it was just awful.
Same with this. Yes, I know it's all intentional, but it's gone so far that it's not a parody of GI Joe or Transformers, it's just making fun of the people who like this stuff.

Of course there are many TF fans who defend Michael Bay's films, so maybe they deserve it.
Re: NC Comicon 2017 - IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe The Movie Adaptation Released with Exclusive Cover (1870236)
Posted by Va'al on March 29th, 2017 @ 11:13am CDT
cruizerdave wrote:Wrong. I swear, people give this a pass and act like its brilliant because they're fan boys of Scioli and the other guy. Yes, I know, the art is intentionally bad, the story is intentionally stupid, the pacing is intentionally disjointed. However, just because someone intentionally does a bad job doesn't mean they've actually done a good job.

*pat-pat*
Re: NC Comicon 2017 - IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe The Movie Adaptation Released with Exclusive Cover (1870315)
Posted by itscramtastic on March 29th, 2017 @ 3:23pm CDT
Well written Cobotron!!

I never read the other TF vs G.I. Joe, the art just put me off.

This, as a standalone one time deal, was fun. Flippin' Transformers and Joes. Fun stuff.
Re: NC Comicon 2017 - IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe The Movie Adaptation Released with Exclusive Cover (1870317)
Posted by carytheone on March 29th, 2017 @ 3:29pm CDT
HAHA, brilliant review of a brilliant one off. I like the way you make the words from your thoughts show up in text that my eyes can adsorb into my head so I can brain with my fingers to the screen.

That's pretty much how I feel when I read the GI Joe vs the Transformers. I enjoy the wacky art that is [strike]either so bad it's good or so good it's bad[/strike] perfect. The panels seem self indulgently told in the way we used to make up stories on the playground; from the view point of an unjaded child. These comics are best enjoyed with a big cup of "suspension of disbelief", which is pretty much how I like to enjoy all my media. ;)^
Re: NC Comicon 2017 - IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe The Movie Adaptation Released with Exclusive Cover (1870320)
Posted by carytheone on March 29th, 2017 @ 3:32pm CDT
itscramtastic wrote:Well written Cobotron!!

I never read the other TF vs G.I. Joe, the art just put me off.

Totally worth checking out. Wait for another 50% sale at comixology ;)^
Re: NC Comicon 2017 - IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe The Movie Adaptation Released with Exclusive Cover (1872597)
Posted by Supreme Convoy on April 7th, 2017 @ 3:30pm CDT

OR conversely...

Re: NC Comicon 2017 - IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe The Movie Adaptation Released with Exclusive Cover (1872747)
Posted by Va'al on April 8th, 2017 @ 2:38am CDT
Supreme Convoy wrote:Re-reading Transformers Vs. GI Joe: The Movie Adaptation. This is all I think when I get to that last page.

OR conversely...

Edit: Looks like I couldn't embed videos? I thought we could.

You can! You need that code after V= in between [youtube] tags. Like so:

[youtube]BUTjLmxmPW0[/youtube]

Re: NC Comicon 2017 - IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe The Movie Adaptation Released with Exclusive Cover (1872969)
Posted by Supreme Convoy on April 8th, 2017 @ 11:33pm CDT
Va'al wrote:

You can! You need that code after V= in between [youtube] tags. Like so:

[youtube]BUTjLmxmPW0[/youtube]

Thanks for the tip! Fix the previous post.

Ending Soon On eBay

Transformers Age of Extinction Generations Voyager Class Grimlock Figure - Time Remaining: 1 day 11 hours 10 minutes 58 seconds
original G1 Transformers TRYPTICON RIGHT + LEFT CONNECTOR LOT parts - Time Remaining: 4 days 17 hours 12 minutes 3 seconds
MISB in USA - Transformers Takara Legends LG-31 Fortress Maximus - Headmasters - Time Remaining: 6 days 16 hours 12 minutes 44 seconds
LOT Mr. Potato Head Indiana Jones, Spider-Man, Transformers Optimash Prime NEW - Time Remaining: 4 days 16 hours 16 minutes 29 seconds
Platinum Edition Optimus Prime Silver Knight Transformers AOE Hasbro 2014 MISP! - Time Remaining: 4 days 6 hours 20 minutes 11 seconds
2010 Transformers Generations Reveal The Shield Special Turbo Tracks Classics NY - Time Remaining: 1 day 19 hours 25 minutes 36 seconds
MISB in USA - Transformers Takara Legends LG-40 Astrotrain - Headmasters - Time Remaining: 6 days 19 hours 26 minutes 34 seconds
Transformers Armada RED ALERT Powerlinx Hasbro Action Figure - Time Remaining: 26 days 3 hours 26 minutes 35 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #186 - NYCC 2017