New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise

New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise

Saturday, April 25th, 2015 3:37am CDT

Categories: Site News, Toy News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 39,803

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

Seibertron.com is extremely proud to present, keeping in mind the buzz surrounding the recent release of the latest incarnation of old school combiners in the Generations Combiner Wars line, a set of galleries eleven years in the making: the original Protectobot team, fire truck Hot Spot, ambulance First Aid, motorbike Groove, helicopter Blades and police car Streetwise - and their gestalt form, Defensor.

All the team members can be found below, by clicking on any of the images, and as you browse through the galleries, please bear in mind that the nice new stickers are indeed new sets, and the figures have been treated to a little scrub, too. But enough from us - head below for the main set!

G1 1986 Defensor

Transformers News: New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise

Transformers News: New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise

Transformers News: New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise


G1 1986 Hot Spot

Transformers News: New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise

Transformers News: New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise


G1 1986 First Aid

Transformers News: New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise

Transformers News: New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise


G1 1986 Blades

Transformers News: New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise

Transformers News: New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise


G1 1986 Streetwise

Transformers News: New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise

Transformers News: New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise


G1 1986 Groove

Transformers News: New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise

Transformers News: New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise


News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise (1679140)
Posted by RhA on April 25th, 2015 @ 6:11am CDT
Finally the geewun love extends to Defensor!
Re: New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise (1679154)
Posted by OptimalOptimus2 on April 25th, 2015 @ 7:44am CDT
Why did it take so long to release the Protectobot galleries?
Re: New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise (1679172)
Posted by Seibertron on April 25th, 2015 @ 9:03am CDT
OptimalOptimus2 wrote:Why did it take so long to release the Protectobot galleries?


Relevancy. The older galleries don't generate as much traffic as newer galleries. With the release of the Combiner Wars Protectobots, the G1 Protectobots are once again relevant since this is the first time ever they've had new molds that are intended to really be the characters they represent instead of repaints or remolds of other characters.

This is usually my strategy but poor ol' Metroplex got the short end of the stick a couple of years ago. Hopefully I can rectify that before the end of the year so that we can finally have galleries of Metroplex, Metrotitan, Trypticon, Gigastorm, and Encore Metroplex. The rumored "Platinum Edition" Trypticon set might give me my next excuse to bust out all of these guys later this year.
Re: New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise (1679176)
Posted by Cyberpath on April 25th, 2015 @ 9:40am CDT
Great gallery. Defensor was my first combiner.

They look pristine with the scrub-down and new stickers. The joints seem tight, too. Is the process very time-consuming?


btw, Streetwise's legs actually extend and his chest is supposed to tab into the diecast like this:

Image
Re: New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise (1679180)
Posted by Seibertron on April 25th, 2015 @ 9:50am CDT
Cyberpath wrote:Great gallery. Defensor was my first combiner.

They look pristine with the scrub-down and new stickers. The joints seem tight, too. Is the process very time-consuming?


btw, Streetwise's legs actually extend and his chest is supposed to tab into the diecast like this:

Image


The "legs" are not supposed to be extended in robot mode. The leg extension is for when he's an arm. I like having the hood of the vehicle folded up like that because it looks more like a robot chest instead of the front half of a car on a robot's chest.
Re: New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise (1679181)
Posted by Rated X on April 25th, 2015 @ 9:51am CDT
Takara...

Upsize CW Groove and give him a combiner port !!! :D
Re: New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise (1679210)
Posted by fenrir72 on April 25th, 2015 @ 11:08am CDT
After nearly 30 years, Defensor gets the Ryan treatment! :APPLAUSE:
Re: New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise (1679211)
Posted by fenrir72 on April 25th, 2015 @ 11:08am CDT
ISP fart sorry!
Re: New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise (1679222)
Posted by Seibertron on April 25th, 2015 @ 11:38am CDT
So this particular set of figures, the Protectobots, are something I've been wanting to work on for 11 years. I have received dozens of requests for these galleries, particularly in the past 5 years as their absence from the galleries became more and more obvious. The first time I wanted to do their galleries was way back in May 2004 when I did the galleries for the Universe Micromaster Protectobots galleries. This very G1 Defensor made an appearance in that gallery.

Image

Later that same year, Defensor made an appearance in Menasor's gallery. Fictionally, I always felt the Combaticons were the enemy of the Protectobots but toy-wise I always felt the Stunticons were their opposite.

Image

Anyways, the Protectobots have been on my mind for the past 11 years. I've wanted to do their galleries time and time again and man did it feel great to finally do their galleries after all this time. I can't believe it's been that long. It seems like just yesterday that I did the galleries for the Universe Protectobots and the G1 Stunticons and wanted to do the Protectobots galleries. Time can be my worst enemy when it comes to Seibertron.com. Not that anyone other than me really cares about this accomplishment, but it felt really good to finish them. Finally, they have been completed right before I get my hands on the Combiner Wars Protectobots.

Metroplex, Trypticon, Metrotitan and Gigastorm are the other ones that really drive me crazy that I don't have complete yet. And the large G1 Targetmasters and the G1 Headmasters. One day!
Re: New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise (1679224)
Posted by Prowlerglide on April 25th, 2015 @ 11:47am CDT
Man, people griped about the CW Protectobots being armed to the teeth, but they're actually less strapped than the G1 team was. Those dudes have huge guns all over them.
Re: New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise (1679227)
Posted by Alpha Dominus on April 25th, 2015 @ 11:50am CDT
Solid looking combiner! Nothing looks disproportionate and that color scheme has really grown on me. Now if only the CW version nixed the Cinderella feet in favor of something like OG Defensor.
Re: New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise (1679288)
Posted by Shockwave7 on April 25th, 2015 @ 3:49pm CDT
I used to own G1 Defensor. Of the combiners, I started out not really 'wanting' him, but getting the Protectobots just because I had the Combaticons. But Defensor turned out to be the most surprisingly solid and well designed of the combiners. Like most G1 stuff, the articulation was minimal, but Defensor held together really well, stood easily, and did the best job of looking like his vehicle components turned into actual 'limbs' rather than just having cars and planes plugged into the core figure (with the exception of Streetwise of course).
Re: New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise (1679344)
Posted by fenrir72 on April 25th, 2015 @ 6:11pm CDT
Seibertron wrote:So this particular set of figures, the Protectobots, are something I've been wanting to work on for 11 years. I have received dozens of requests for these galleries, particularly in the past 5 years as their absence from the galleries became more and more obvious. The first time I wanted to do their galleries was way back in May 2004 when I did the galleries for the Universe Micromaster Protectobots galleries. This very G1 Defensor made an appearance in that gallery.

Image

Later that same year, Defensor made an appearance in Menasor's gallery. Fictionally, I always felt the Combaticons were the enemy of the Protectobots but toy-wise I always felt the Stunticons were their opposite.

Image

Anyways, the Protectobots have been on my mind for the past 11 years. I've wanted to do their galleries time and time again and man did it feel great to finally do their galleries after all this time. I can't believe it's been that long. It seems like just yesterday that I did the galleries for the Universe Protectobots and the G1 Stunticons and wanted to do the Protectobots galleries. Time can be my worst enemy when it comes to Seibertron.com. Not that anyone other than me really cares about this accomplishment, but it felt really good to finish them. Finally, they have been completed right before I get my hands on the Combiner Wars Protectobots.

Metroplex, Trypticon, Metrotitan and Gigastorm are the other ones that really drive me crazy that I don't have complete yet. And the large G1 Targetmasters and the G1 Headmasters. One day!



You don't have Trypticon yet? :shock:

Btw Ryan, do you have the Hotspot/Defensor "metal" version? Same with Bruticus team. I've seen the KO of Hotspot having the metal chest. Would like to see the "metal chest" Onslaught too.
Re: New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise (1679356)
Posted by Seibertron on April 25th, 2015 @ 7:06pm CDT
fenrir72 wrote:You don't have Trypticon yet? :shock:


I definitely own Trypticon! Just haven't had time to do his gallery yet. Drives me crazy that I haven't done his gallery yet, is what I meant.

Image

fenrir72 wrote:Btw Ryan, do you have the Hotspot/Defensor "metal" version? Same with Bruticus team. I've seen the KO of Hotspot having the metal chest. Would like to see the "metal chest" Onslaught too.


Hot Spot is the plastic chest version. My original G1 Onslaught that is in the galleries has the metal chest. You can view his gallery here:

Image
Re: New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise (1679376)
Posted by Sideswipe29 on April 25th, 2015 @ 7:51pm CDT
Seibertron wrote:
OptimalOptimus2 wrote:Why did it take so long to release the Protectobot galleries?


Relevancy. The older galleries don't generate as much traffic as newer galleries. With the release of the Combiner Wars Protectobots, the G1 Protectobots are once again relevant since this is the first time ever they've had new molds that are intended to really be the characters they represent instead of repaints or remolds of other characters.

This is usually my strategy but poor ol' Metroplex got the short end of the stick a couple of years ago. Hopefully I can rectify that before the end of the year so that we can finally have galleries of Metroplex, Metrotitan, Trypticon, Gigastorm, and Encore Metroplex. The rumored "Platinum Edition" Trypticon set might give me my next excuse to bust out all of these guys later this year.


So let me get this straight. You wouldn't do a gallery of an older toy until it's relevant again because as you say it's an "older" gallery? So it's not so much that you couldn't do a gallery for the Protectobots because you always could have but you wanted to wait until they were relevant again so they could be a "new"gallery? So with that logic, why didn't you wait for all older G1 characters to become relevant and then make "new" galleries for them? Why have you bothered to hold out on a protectobot gallery and not other G1 stuff?
Sorry for all the questions. And I in no way mean to criticize you because your galleries are always incredible and it's smart to wait until characters are relevant again. I'm just trying to figure out why you waited to do the protectobots and not wait on others.
Re: New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise (1679393)
Posted by steve2275 on April 25th, 2015 @ 9:16pm CDT
its like when the rock "finally has come back to insert city"
Re: New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise (1679405)
Posted by Seibertron on April 25th, 2015 @ 10:58pm CDT
Sideswipe29 wrote:So let me get this straight. You wouldn't do a gallery of an older toy until it's relevant again because as you say it's an "older" gallery?


There's a lot of factors involved. Everything from relevancy, current workload, condition of vintage figures, trends in the comics, overall character's popularity, etc. I've been working on these galleries for 11 years. In the mid 2000s, I had a lot more freedom to do whatever galleries I wanted because there wasn't this massive onslaught of toys continuously coming out like there has been the past few years.

Older Transformers toys just don't get as much traffic as newer Transformers toys. I was bummed after I launched the galleries of Black Zarak and Grand Maximus a few years ago when I saw how poorly both galleries were performing initially. I thought those two galleries would generate all sorts of traffic due to the novelty and rarity of both items. While they are the end-all-be-all galleries of those two sets, they're just not good traffic generators. Black Zarak (July 2012) has 74,144 pageviews currently and Grand Maximus (October 2012) has 72,604 pageviews. By comparison, Evasion Mode Optimus Prime (which launched April 2014) has 249,116 pageviews.

I've owned every Hasbro Transformers toy (1984 to current) since 2007 and own a sizable portion of the European exclusives (only missing the Motorvators) and a very large collection of Takara exclusives and variants (minus a couple dozen Takara late G1 toys and and minus some regional variants prior to Henkei). If I had it my way, I'd do nothing but work on old Transformers galleries ... they're fun to do and a lot less work than the modern toys are due to their lack of poseability. But "work" comes first ... I have to work on what will generate traffic first, and then work fill in the gaps as time and relevancy allows.

Sideswipe29 wrote:So it's not so much that you couldn't do a gallery for the Protectobots because you always could have but you wanted to wait until they were relevant again so they could be a "new"gallery? So with that logic, why didn't you wait for all older G1 characters to become relevant and then make "new" galleries for them? Why have you bothered to hold out on a protectobot gallery and not other G1 stuff?


As I mentioned above, I've been working on the galleries for 11 years now. Due to less products being released prior to the live action movies, I used to have more time to work on older galleries. Since the movies, it's just been a matter of me finding time to work on older products which I usually try to squeeze in when those characters become relevant again.

Sometimes the relevancy is "self-created" such as in late 2013 when I had 4 complete G1 Reflectors and a really nice modern KO (the one with the new G1 box) to sell in the Seibertron.com Store on eBay. I took that time to do Reflector because I wanted to generate a little bit of interest in him first prior to posting those items for sale in the Seibertron.com Store and because I was excited about having 4 complete ones to sell.

Last summer, I photographed the G1 Powermasters after having two points of relevancy: comparison photos of Generations Doubledealer with vintage G1 Doubledealer and doing the gallery of Fire Guts God Ginrai because of BotCon Ginrai which came out last summer.

Sideswipe29 wrote:Sorry for all the questions. And I in no way mean to criticize you because your galleries are always incredible and it's smart to wait until characters are relevant again. I'm just trying to figure out why you waited to do the protectobots and not wait on others.


These are great questions ... happy to answer any of them. Bottom line is this: there's no black and white rule that I follow. I focus on new/current products first because that is what's most relevant and will generate the most traffic. I work on vintage and other older Transformers products that haven't been photographed as time allows. I generally try to do older figures that are relevant first and then work my way through the ones I want to as time allows.

The same thing applies to when I don't have time to photograph a toy the first time it is released. I'll usually wait until a repaint comes out to get it the 2nd time around and launch both of those galleries at the same time. Million Publishing Artfire is a good example. I really need to do his gallery, but if I'm going to do his gallery at this point, I should do United Grapple, GDO Hot Spot, and 2014 Protectobot Hot Spot's galleries. It's easier to do all of a mold's galleries at one time then it is to do them one-at-a-time.

Hope this all makes sense. If you have more questions, please let me know.
Re: New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise (1679409)
Posted by steve2275 on April 25th, 2015 @ 11:25pm CDT
how about a G 1 combiners only gallery?
since combiners are currently relevant :D
cant blame a guy for asking :D
Re: New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise (1679410)
Posted by Seibertron on April 25th, 2015 @ 11:30pm CDT
steve2275 wrote:how about a G 1 combiners only gallery?
since combiners are currently relevant :D


Seibertron.com's galleries are all character driven so a gallery just to do a gallery of Combiners all together isn't something that I would work on: http://www.seibertron.com/transformers- ... eries/new/
Re: New Galleries: G1 Defensor and the Protectobots Hot Spot, First Aid, Blades, Groove and Streetwise (1679490)
Posted by TheTheoretician on April 26th, 2015 @ 7:55am CDT
Seibertron wrote:
Cyberpath wrote:Great gallery. Defensor was my first combiner.

They look pristine with the scrub-down and new stickers. The joints seem tight, too. Is the process very time-consuming?


btw, Streetwise's legs actually extend and his chest is supposed to tab into the diecast like this:

Image


The "legs" are not supposed to be extended in robot mode. The leg extension is for when he's an arm. I like having the hood of the vehicle folded up like that because it looks more like a robot chest instead of the front half of a car on a robot's chest.


These are of course your galleries, and your rules or fancies apply, and again, I applaud your great effort with the Protectobots! :D However, your argument seems a bit incoherent when it comes to Streetwise, as you claim the legs are not official transformation, but then refer to the folding of the hood as being your personal preference? As for the legs, I would argue that they are intended to be used in bot mode (there are two of them after all) regardless of how the instruction sheet turned out. They seem to be out on the 1986 catalog photo, too... As for the hood, my personal preference is having it flush down (also in the catalog), with the hood bumper resting in the diecast indentation which is probably also there for a reason... Streetwise was my first Transformer but is long lost and broken, and this is not how I remember him... Any possibility of additonal pic or two with the catalog/TFWiki stock photo transformation in the future? ;) A request which of course is another compliment to your beautiful photography :)

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 09 Voyager Class Movie 2 Thundercracker" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Misfire and Aimless" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Cutthroat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MV5 Turbo Changer Super Nova Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Wreck-Gar" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Overlord Decepticon Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe protectobot Groove" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #276 - Whoops! All Bumblebees
Twincast / Podcast #276:
"Whoops! All Bumblebees"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, May 16th, 2021

New Items on eBay

Buy "GRIMLOCK - Transformers Robots in Disguise - Warrior Class" on EBAY
Buy "2015 McDonald’s Happy Meal Toy - Hasbro Transformers #2 Grimlock Green Dinosaur" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Darkmoon and Astrotrain" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Blurr" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers-Hasbro Transformers Gen Legends Brawn" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Hasbro Titans Return Brainstorm, Chromedome, Highbrow, and Hardhead" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Hasbro Titans Return Blaster and Rewind" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers RID Warrior Class Autobot Drift B0912" on EBAY