New IDW Bumblebee Mini-Series?

New IDW Bumblebee Mini-Series?

Wednesday, March 18th, 2009 4:31pm CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, Rumors
Posted by: i_amtrunks   Views: 20,874

Firstly, it should be noted that this remains solidly in the RUMOURS section, until IDW Publishing can confirm or deny it.

Comic Book resources have published an interview with comic writer and Illustrator (and owner of a brilliant name) Zander Cannon.

Whilst mostly dealing with Zander's work with Alan Moore on "Top Ten", as well as some of his other works including "The Replacement God" and "Bone Sharps, Cowboys, and Thunder Lizards", there is also a brief mention of Zander working an upcoming Transformers series for IDW Publishing:

I'm writing a Bumblebee miniseries that spins off of a new semi-reboot of the Transformers continuity at IDW. I'm only in the process now of writing a proposal, so I can't say any more.

Bumblebee Mini-series?
Semi Reboot?

What does it all mean?

Stay tuned to Seibertron.com, as we will keep you up to date with any further developments regarding this series.

Credit(s): Comic Book Resources, tfarchive

Re: New IDW Bumblebee Mini-Series? (899889)
Posted by ashe5k on March 18th, 2009 @ 4:43pm CDT
Ugh. So they're kinda sorta re-booting their own universe again?

I realize it's a rumor but there's a reason I'm only reading the movie tie-ins anymore.
Re: New IDW Bumblebee Mini-Series? (899896)
Posted by Dr. Caelus on March 18th, 2009 @ 4:58pm CDT
Re: New IDW Bumblebee Mini-Series? (899908)
Posted by emeraldbeacon on March 18th, 2009 @ 5:36pm CDT
Alternately, IDW could be trying to "get back to basics" and resolve the discrepancies between all their various series, with a partial retcon - maybe in the form of a "what really happened" story. Using Bumblebee (a major character in recent Transformers history) to do so would seem to make sense.
Re: New IDW Bumblebee Mini-Series? (899919)
Posted by King Henrik on March 18th, 2009 @ 5:56pm CDT
Caelus wrote:I assume he's referring to the IDW G1 universe as a semi-reboot in and of itself. For people who haven't been immersed in it for two or three years now I'm sure that's the way it seems.

i have to agree with you there, i read it as he was saying it to someone who may not be aware of what idw's been doing recently. so i wouldn't freak out about idw rebooting what they've been working at for so long. but a bb mini series sounds cool, hopefully he'll have cliffjumper and his itchy trigger finger along for the ride.
Re: New IDW Bumblebee Mini-Series? (899921)
Posted by MYoung23 on March 18th, 2009 @ 6:03pm CDT
I think he is talking about the switch from the Furmanverse to McCarthyland.

Speaking of McCarthyland will we be getting an explaination for the alt mode downgrades in the last 4 issues of AHM?
Re: New IDW Bumblebee Mini-Series? (900006)
Posted by typh0id on March 18th, 2009 @ 10:37pm CDT
I don't even care...I'll buy it :D I've loved IDW's handling of Transformers...
Re: New IDW Bumblebee Mini-Series? (900047)
Posted by Oilspill on March 19th, 2009 @ 12:33am CDT
I just hope Furman can continue telling his stories and ignore what's happened in the McCarthyverse. I don't mind AHM as long as it is in it's own universe... but it seems IDW doesn't want to go that route.
Re: New IDW Bumblebee Mini-Series? (900081)
Posted by Orin_Thomas on March 19th, 2009 @ 4:38am CDT
One can only hope that the reboot is a wiping clean of the abomination that is AHM, a story that could have been told in roughly a third of the issues used by a writer more familiar with the source material.

As a reader of the old UK comics I know back then I was impatient when the US stories were reprinted instead of new Furman ones (I'd pretty much given up reading by the time Furman started writing the US stories).

Shane MaCarthy's work is like the final season of Babylon 5 or Galactica 1980 - stuff that I wish really didn't happen.
Re: New IDW Bumblebee Mini-Series? (900109)
Posted by shockticus on March 19th, 2009 @ 6:53am CDT
I think they should let BB have, like, a partner or something; I like the character, but I don't think he can carry an entire storyline alone...
Re: New IDW Bumblebee Mini-Series? (900335)
Posted by Windsweeper on March 19th, 2009 @ 4:41pm CDT
I can think of a thousand Transformers I'd rather see get a mini series instead of Bumblebee.

I'd love to see Prowl, handled properly i.e. anyone but Furman who keeps turning him into a whiner instead of the infinitely patient and logical right hand man to Optimus Prime depicted in his tech specs and Dreamwave's MTMTE. No way can Furman's Prowl lead the Autobot army in Prime's absence. Hell. Budiansky did a great rendition of Prowl.

I grew up on Furman and loved his Marvel stuff. He's great at the epics but it's the characters and dialogue he doesn't handle well. That's why I loved Dreamwave's G1 ongoing. I just felt the writers 'got' the characters. Even McCarthy in AHM. It's always been about the characters for me. It's a millenia long, intergalactic war with a cast of thousands. It's already epic.

I've wanted to enjoy IDW's G1 and I have to a certain extent, but I'm afraid when they started off with another G1 reboot, I was soured against them.

Anyway, I apologise for once again bashing IDW. As always, I'm always ready to see what they've got next for us. So I will check out BB's series. I actually loved their Beast Wars and Hearts of Steel books. Oh and the Movie stuff and most of the Spotlights.

Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Bumblebee Evolution 3-Pack (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Bumblebee Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Menasor Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #288 - Filler Episode
"Filler Episode"
Posted: Sunday, November 14th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Racing Trailer 2016 & Snowplow 2017" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots High Tide Rescue Rig Boat Part" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers generations Fall Of Cybertron Shockwave" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Playskool Heroes Rescue Bots Academy Salvage Converting Toy, 4.5-In" on EBAY
Buy "New Transformers Buzzworthy Bumblebee Power Charge Bumblebee VOLKSWAGEN VW BUG" on EBAY
Buy "The Loyal Subjects - SDCC Exclusive Transformers 8" Dead Optimus Prime" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Movie Lot Optimus Bumblebee Ironhide Skidz And More" on EBAY