Transformers News: New image of Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime 3.0 and a $369.99 preorder at RobotKingdom.com

Friday, November 30th, 2018 10:50AM CST

Categories: Toy News, Sponsor News
Posted by: ZeroWolf   Views: 18,119

Hot on the heels of these official new images of MP-44, we now have another new image which shows Prime leaping into the air firing his gun, a pose ripped out of the 1986 Transformers The Movie. The image was found on a Japanese blog site. Thanks to fellow Seibertron user, Cyberpath for bringing this to our attention. According to the blog, the image is an advertisement put out by Takara Tomy Mall in a magazine.The image shows that the ¥50,000 price listing was indeed correct and is the MSRP for is. It is with mentioning that that price may see up to a 30% reduction once its Amazon Japan listing goes up, so it may be worth keeping an eye there. However, shipping will cost extra and its unknown at this point if it will be shipped to places outside of Japan.

We have mirrored the image for your convenience below.

We also have another preorder up for MP-44, this one couresty of site sponsor, RobotKingdom.com .

The pre order here is listed at $369.99 which is one of the best yet but does not factor shipping which could increase it to $450+ depending on where you are as it is
Shipping from China.

Are you on the fence about this release? Let us know in the Energon Pub and stay tuned to Seibertron for all the latest news and reviews. You
Credit(s): Cyberpath from Seibertron,Transformers What's New Blog, RobotKingdom.com
Re: New image of Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime 3.0 and a $369.99 preorder at RobotKingdom.com (1996235)
Posted by ThunderThruster on November 30th, 2018 @ 11:12am CST
Coptur wrote:If they want quick bucks and cash grabs why not announce:

- Clampdown

Clampdown already exists as MP-14C, uness you want an animation style figure of a character that was never in the 'toon?
Re: New image of Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime 3.0 and a $369.99 preorder at RobotKingdom.com (1996254)
Posted by Regimus Prime on November 30th, 2018 @ 12:20pm CST
Cyberpath wrote:

Ok, after looking at these comparison shots I may need a second job and MP-10 will be going back in his packaging. :BOT:
Re: New image of Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime 3.0 and a $369.99 preorder at RobotKingdom.com (1996257)
Posted by Short Circuit on November 30th, 2018 @ 12:34pm CST
He's not too bad looking. Hoping they make a "toy accurate" deco with silvers and more fine details picked out. I think I still prefer mp-10 as a good modern prime, but G1 cartoon fans will be pleased with it. Really like how the trailer drone can become a stand and has more of a beefy look.
Re: New image of Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime 3.0 and a $369.99 preorder at RobotKingdom.com (1996269)
Posted by mesh on November 30th, 2018 @ 1:44pm CST
carytheone wrote:Now that I'm looking at these new color images on a PC, has anyone else noticed how odd the hand/wrists connections look?

MPOPv3_Hands.jpg

joevill wrote:It's a new figure, Starscream Prime!!!
:lol: Everybody enjoys a little cosplay form time to time.

During transformation or if it drops those hand joints will crack and snap off.

But now that we're seeing a drop in price I might reconsider. But it's still priced toooo high.
Re: New image of Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime 3.0 and a $369.99 preorder at RobotKingdom.com (1996272)
Posted by starfish on November 30th, 2018 @ 1:48pm CST
william-james88 wrote:So the toy goes out of its way to technically makes no sense and represent animation laziness.

They were animating episodes at stupid speeds, to stupid deadlines and to stupid budgets. By all means hate on the cartoon and its aesthetic all you like, but the animators did insanely well to make that show look as good as it did, given the constraints they were under.

I’m not sure that ‘laziness’ is an adjective we should be using to describe the toon art department. They worked their asses off!

Now, some of the scripts, on the other hand...
Re: New image of Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime 3.0 and a $369.99 preorder at RobotKingdom.com (1996275)
Posted by Seibertron on November 30th, 2018 @ 2:06pm CST
starfish wrote:

Now, some of the scripts, on the other hand...

I agree with starfish about the word "laziness", that's not fair for a hand drawn old school cel cartoon to call their hard work "lazy". It does come across to me as "lazy" for the Masterpieces though. I don't get making them look like the cartoon model walked out of the cartoon, lack of details and all. I want to get back to Prowl and Wheeljack, who look like their cartoon models but also have the extra detailing and didn't "cheat" to achieve the look.

I'd like to propose this quote instead:

So the toy goes out of its way to technically makes no sense and represent animation simplification.
Re: New image of Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime 3.0 and a $369.99 preorder at RobotKingdom.com (1996284)
Posted by kiwijinxter on November 30th, 2018 @ 2:24pm CST
Relic0037 wrote:When I got into collecting Masterpieces a few years ago, I knew they were far from cheap. But typically they would rarely go over the $200 price point with many of the car Autobots costing $80, which I could work into my budget. If the starting price starts to edge towards the $200 mark that would probably price me out right now, which would be a shame, because I have most of the previously released figures I want other than Ratchet & maybe MP-09, & I would hate to have to tap out because Takara is just trying to test where the line is in the general fans' pocket books.

I agree, when I was a kid a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away, I played with $20 Transformers and had a lot of joy out of it. However, now that I'm grown up and been working for years, I could finally budget for, and selectively buy some Masterpieces. But when a Masterpiece hits the $400+ level, even I couldn't justify it :-( . Not unless it self-transforms. That said, power to those who can afford this. My favourite Transformers is and always has been the G1 Optimus Prime and Megatron, and it'll be hard to beat the MP-10 and MP-36 - they're a magnificent work of art.
Re: New image of Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime 3.0 and a $369.99 preorder at RobotKingdom.com (1996287)
Posted by kiwijinxter on November 30th, 2018 @ 2:35pm CST
Ironhidensh wrote:The real kicker for me in all of this? I want this figure. It looks simply amazing, and I am one of the lucky ones here who can afford this price. But I can't justify it by any means. I have two little boys, and we have started trying to teach them the value of money. How can I do that with a straight face when I waste money on something like this? Answer: I can't.

Oh well, we move on.

Brilliant summation, love it. As a father of 3 kids, I have the same dilemma, but boy those Masterpieces are beautiful works of art for Transformers lovers! :BOT: :CON:
Re: New image of Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime 3.0 and a $369.99 preorder at RobotKingdom.com (1996294)
Posted by Cobotron on November 30th, 2018 @ 2:52pm CST
Seibertron wrote: I want to get back to Prowl and Wheeljack, who look like their cartoon models but also have the extra detailing and didn't "cheat" to achieve the look.
Bossbot, I'm so riding this train right next to you. Meet me at the bar in the cafe car so we can drown our sorrows.Image
Re: New image of Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime 3.0 and a $369.99 preorder at RobotKingdom.com (1996300)
Posted by Cyberpath on November 30th, 2018 @ 3:06pm CST
I'm actually pleased that they stripped away the "made-up" gribble.

It seems like CHUG went the other, wildly so.

Yikes.
Re: New image of Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime 3.0 and a $369.99 preorder at RobotKingdom.com (1996305)
Posted by Seibertron on November 30th, 2018 @ 3:16pm CST
Cobotron wrote:

Damn I would love to do that. Why do all of you live far away from me! Come to Chicago!!!

Well, in my efforts to find the positive side of things today since it's Friday, at least MP-44 doesn't have the "gorilla arms" problem or oddly slanted abdomen grill that has zero precedence prior to MP-10. Yay for that.
Re: New image of Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime 3.0 and a $369.99 preorder at RobotKingdom.com (1996313)
Posted by hausjam on November 30th, 2018 @ 3:33pm CST
I don't get the hateful comments. Toon accuracy or Toy accuracy. There is plenty of room for both. Buy whichever one you like. Or if you have the means, buy both and appreciate both. If you don't like one or the other, don't buy it. And don't worry about it.

Those of you complaining about the price just don't get it. If $450 is too much for a masterpiece, mark downs will be coming. If it sells out at $450, then they were right. It's called capitalism. If you don't agree with that, that is your prerogative. But it won't make you right. And complaining about it here won't make you feel any better.
Re: New image of Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime 3.0 and a $369.99 preorder at RobotKingdom.com (1996328)
Posted by Torneira on November 30th, 2018 @ 4:05pm CST
After long consideration, I have come to this conclusion:
"Optimus must be obtained, no matter the costs." :lol:
Re: New image of Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime 3.0 and a $369.99 preorder at RobotKingdom.com (1996332)
Posted by Coptur on November 30th, 2018 @ 4:19pm CST
ThunderThruster wrote:
Coptur wrote:If they want quick bucks and cash grabs why not announce:

- Clampdown

Then I meant Deep Cover the red alert repaint
Re: New image of Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime 3.0 and a $369.99 preorder at RobotKingdom.com (1996334)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on November 30th, 2018 @ 4:32pm CST
Coptur wrote:
ThunderThruster wrote:
Coptur wrote:If they want quick bucks and cash grabs why not announce:

- Clampdown

Then I meant Deep Cover the red alert repaint

For the record, Clamp Down is the police car redeco of Red Alert:

Transformers Masterpiece Clampdown Gallery

While Deep Cover is the black Sideswipe redeco, who doesn't exist as an MP yet. I know, confusing...
Re: New image of Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime 3.0 and a $369.99 preorder at RobotKingdom.com (1996337)
Posted by william-james88 on November 30th, 2018 @ 4:53pm CST
Coptur wrote:
ThunderThruster wrote:
Coptur wrote:If they want quick bucks and cash grabs why not announce:

- Clampdown

Then I meant Deep Cover the red alert repaint

Deep cover is a sideswipe repaint.
Re: New image of Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime 3.0 and a $369.99 preorder at RobotKingdom.com (1996338)
Posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman on November 30th, 2018 @ 4:54pm CST
Who's on first?
Re: New image of Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime 3.0 and a $369.99 preorder at RobotKingdom.com (1996340)
Posted by Amelie on November 30th, 2018 @ 5:19pm CST
Seibertron wrote:

I actually think that is something I really celebrate about the most recent Masterpiece figures. There is an element of "it makes no sense to do this" and "that'll never work" that to some designers and artists is more like challenge that can't be ignored. Whilst I appreciate a nice, uncluttered transformation (I feel like MP28 is a good example of this), I appreciate that Takara have been going the extra mile for accuracy on things that only made sense in animation for simplicity's sake.
Re: New image of Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime 3.0 and a $369.99 preorder at RobotKingdom.com (1996352)
Posted by william-james88 on November 30th, 2018 @ 6:11pm CST
Seibertron wrote:

Yup, i can totally get behind that. And i too miss the days of Wheeljack, who is still my favorite mp car to this day.
Re: New image of Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime 3.0 and a $369.99 preorder at RobotKingdom.com (1996428)
Posted by Coptur on December 1st, 2018 @ 4:07am CST
william-james88 wrote:
Coptur wrote:
ThunderThruster wrote:
Coptur wrote:If they want quick bucks and cash grabs why not announce:

- Clampdown

Then I meant Deep Cover the red alert repaint

Deep cover is a sideswipe repaint.

Meh my point still holds that they should release the missing repaint characters regardless of my very small mistake Takara know who's who

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #213 - How to Say Expensive and Mean It
"How to Say Expensive and Mean It"
Posted: Sunday, December 9th, 2018

Buy "Beachcomber Collection 3 100% Complete Micro Changers Kre-O Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "Beachcomber Tech Specs Mini 1985 Vintage Hasbro G1 Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "New 2012 Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Nova Stinger Bow Airachnid Figure 3"" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers: SWERVE. Cyber Planet Key. Unopened!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Slipstream Scout Class Action Figure Fusion Mace NIB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Shadow Striker Ultra Class 6.25-inch Figure" on EBAY
Buy "G1 Transformers Hook Constructicon  Figure for Devastator Vintage Lot" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Wheelie Asia Exclusive Autobot Deluxe NIP" on EBAY