New Image of Transformers Masterpiece Dinobot in Raptor Mode

Transformers News: New Image of Transformers Masterpiece Dinobot in Raptor Mode

Tuesday, October 24th, 2017 9:31PM CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 32,090

After months of no news regarding this figure, the latest Figure King magazine finally gives us a new image of the next Beast Wars Masterpiece, Dinobot. It is only of the beast mode but we can make quite a bit from it. We see he has textured skin which is different from Primal and Cheetor who had smooth panels with little sculpting in beast mode. Also, we see his beast mode hands have ports which mean that he may have an accessory to be held in beast mode. Also, we see has a hinge at the top of his dino face with a panel going along his eyes hinting that he will probably have the ability to change beast mode eyes, as was the case with Cheetor. He also has a hinged mouth, but we expected that part. Hopefully this tides you over until next month when we should be getting better images in the same magazine.

Transformers News: New Image of Transformers Masterpiece Dinobot in Raptor Mode
Credit(s): lord ginrai on TFW boards

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: New Image of Transformers Masterpiece Dinobot in Raptor Mode (1918284)
Posted by Sabrblade on October 24th, 2017 @ 9:35pm CDT
shajaki wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
shajaki wrote:I'm not against it by any means... but where's the consistency? Primal and Cheetor didn't get any fur sculpting :-?
Dinobot's Mainframe CG model had sculpted scales.

Primal's and Cheetor's CG models were smooth-surfaced, so it's just Takara's usual fidelity to screen-accuracy.
.......Hmmmmmmm... I do see what you're saying.. but how can the argument not me made saying it just looks like that? That the scales are simply painted on the CG skin, made to mimic the look of scales?

Your point is good enough to quell me though. I can see it either way.
A closer look at some of Dinobot's CG scales reveals some lighting and shading applied to the little tiny scales that emulates the depths and shaping of each scale, which is a little more complex than simply having scale-based lines painted over his skin render. Otherwise, the light ought to be reflecting off each scale in a manner consistent with how light reflect off of smooth surfaces, instead of reflecting inconsistently across multiple bumps and pits of a non-uniform surface.

Looks like Mainframe put much greater detailed effort into designing and rendering Dinobot's (and Megatron's, for that matter) skin than they did for those of Primal and Cheetor. I guess since Jurassic Park was still big at the time, the dinosaurs got extra special treatment. 8-)
Re: New Image of Transformers Masterpiece Dinobot in Raptor Mode (1918285)
Posted by TulioDude on October 24th, 2017 @ 9:36pm CDT
Wow,he looks really well articulated!
Re: New Image of Transformers Masterpiece Dinobot in Raptor Mode (1918286)
Posted by Prime Target on October 24th, 2017 @ 9:46pm CDT
I know a guy who'll love this! :D definantly into this one more than Primal and Cheetor ;) but srsly where's the Rattrap love Takara?
Re: New Image of Transformers Masterpiece Dinobot in Raptor Mode (1918287)
Posted by Quantum Surge on October 24th, 2017 @ 9:47pm CDT
Choppaface!
Re: New Image of Transformers Masterpiece Dinobot in Raptor Mode (1918291)
Posted by Corsair on October 24th, 2017 @ 10:18pm CDT
They had me a little worried that ol' Dinobutt would never see the light of day.
I have a shelf set up just for Masterpiece Beast Wars figures and to leave me hanging with only Primal and Cheetor would have been a tragedy.
Re: New Image of Transformers Masterpiece Dinobot in Raptor Mode (1918292)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on October 24th, 2017 @ 10:24pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
shajaki wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Dinobot's Mainframe CG model had sculpted scales.

Your point is good enough to quell me though. I can see it either way.

Realistic fur is really hard to actually create in CGI, let alone to animate it. Studios have only just begun to master it, thanks in part of the computer's abilities, or lack thereof, to render a ridiculous amount of objects on a single model, let alone multiple. Plus, by comparison episodic series have a smaller budget per section than a feature length movie, which doesn't help.
Re: New Image of Transformers Masterpiece Dinobot in Raptor Mode (1918299)
Posted by EunuchRon on October 24th, 2017 @ 11:17pm CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
shajaki wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Dinobot's Mainframe CG model had sculpted scales.

Your point is good enough to quell me though. I can see it either way.

Yeah, they made a big deal of showing hair off in Shrek 2 on Prince Charming.

If you watch the end of Beast Wars and then go watch the beginning you see a major change of quality. They got better stuff as the series went on. When I first saw the series I was just impressed that we got 3D transformers.

Oh, and Dinobot is just awesome. Fav char by far from Beast Wars. Definitely lovin' this masterpiece so far.
Re: New Image of Transformers Masterpiece Dinobot in Raptor Mode (1918305)
Posted by butcher31 on October 25th, 2017 @ 12:45am CDT

It's been a while since I watched the show so this only just clicked.
Re: New Image of Transformers Masterpiece Dinobot in Raptor Mode (1918316)
Posted by ScottyP on October 25th, 2017 @ 8:14am CDT
butcher31 wrote:I just realised how big he's going to be. I presume he'll be show accurate and scale well with the others, which means he'll be head and shoulders above Primal. That's super exciting.

It's been a while since I watched the show so this only just clicked.
Yep, exciting is the right word! While LG Rattrap and Rhinox are pretty good stand-ins from a scale perspective, this will presumably be the first Dinobot anywhere close to the "correct" size and that's just amazing and kind of surreal.

Re: New Image of Transformers Masterpiece Dinobot in Raptor Mode (1918317)
Posted by Sabrblade on October 25th, 2017 @ 8:31am CDT
ScottyP wrote:What do y'all think is next - Tigatron retooling, Megatron, or another Primal repaint?
Hopefully Megatron.
Re: New Image of Transformers Masterpiece Dinobot in Raptor Mode (1918318)
Posted by Kurona on October 25th, 2017 @ 8:40am CDT
But after that? I'll be surprised if Megatron isn't next.
Re: New Image of Transformers Masterpiece Dinobot in Raptor Mode (1918319)
Posted by ScottyP on October 25th, 2017 @ 8:58am CDT
He does? I can see Takara doing a Thrustor retool, maybe a toy deco version, but outside of that it'd have to be Grimlock or Fox Kids or some US toy-only deco that I can't imagine them touching. Would be happy to be way wrong about this, for the record!
Re: New Image of Transformers Masterpiece Dinobot in Raptor Mode (1918323)
Posted by Kurona on October 25th, 2017 @ 9:35am CDT
ScottyP wrote:

Original toy, BWN Hardhead, the Season 3 Cyberraptors... they used this mold a lot.
Re: New Image of Transformers Masterpiece Dinobot in Raptor Mode (1918328)
Posted by ScottyP on October 25th, 2017 @ 10:06am CDT
Ah, yep I forgot Hardhead in Neo but good call! Cyber raptors would surprise me but if the mold sells super well I could see it as a quick cash-in
Re: New Image of Transformers Masterpiece Dinobot in Raptor Mode (1918332)
Posted by D-Maximus_Prime on October 25th, 2017 @ 10:20am CDT
Excited to see that we are finally making ground with this figure. I was hoping to pick Dinobot up, considering how great I found the character. I wasn't that impressed with Cheetor, and I didn't have the money to get Primal, so hopefully he is good and i have money!

As for your question Scotty, Megatron has to come soon. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tigatron soon, but they had better do a Megatron soon.
Re: New Image of Transformers Masterpiece Dinobot in Raptor Mode (1918346)
Posted by Ironhidensh on October 25th, 2017 @ 11:26am CDT
I had completely forgotten that this figure was coming. I expect the price will be around the seeker range, though, if it is going to be taller than Primal. That is quite deflating.
Re: New Image of Transformers Masterpiece Dinobot in Raptor Mode (1918363)
Posted by shajaki on October 25th, 2017 @ 1:09pm CDT
Kurona wrote:Always count on redecos happening first :lol: I honestly think the next thing we'll get is a Dinobot mold re-use. He's certainly got a lot to choose from...
But after that? I'll be surprised if Megatron isn't next.
They could release a Clone version, with his transformation joints glued together :lol:
Re: New Image of Transformers Masterpiece Dinobot in Raptor Mode (1918365)
Posted by Kurona on October 25th, 2017 @ 1:16pm CDT
shajaki wrote:
But after that? I'll be surprised if Megatron isn't next.

Oh man, actually, how many people are gonna buy two MP Dinobots because of the clone?
Re: New Image of Transformers Masterpiece Dinobot in Raptor Mode (1918367)
Posted by Sabrblade on October 25th, 2017 @ 1:20pm CDT
Kurona wrote:
shajaki wrote:
But after that? I'll be surprised if Megatron isn't next.

Well, NOW that you guys brought up the idea...

:P
Re: New Image of Transformers Masterpiece Dinobot in Raptor Mode (1918369)
Posted by Kurona on October 25th, 2017 @ 1:29pm CDT
Of course :roll: :lol:

Come to think of it, this sort of schedule would imply MP Dinobot is coming out sometime next year, right? As are the POTP Dinobots, and any possible redecos of any of those. Year of the friggin' Dinosaurs and related creatures dude!

Ending Soon On eBay

Takara Transformers Binaltech BT-04  HOUND action figure - Time Remaining: 2 days 5 hours 28 minutes 54 seconds
Transformers Cybertron Legends Hot Shot NEW MIB - Time Remaining: 3 days 10 hours 38 minutes 43 seconds
TRANSFORMERS G1 LOT VINTAGE OPTIMUS PRIME ROLLER AND PAPER WORK  ORIGINAL 1982 - Time Remaining: 3 days 13 hours 52 minutes
Transformers Unite Warriors UW08 Computron Takara Tomy figure - Time Remaining: 1 day 14 hours 52 minutes 3 seconds
TRANSFORMERS RID COMBINERS RAIL SPIKE JRX TAKARA RACER UNIVERSE US SELLER FIGURE - Time Remaining: 19 days 23 hours 51 minutes 21 seconds
Transformers Cybertron Starscream Figure Voyager Class TRU Exclusive - Time Remaining: 1 day 22 hours 57 minutes 41 seconds
Transformers Generations DIRGE Complete Seeker Plane Deluxe Classics Lot - Time Remaining: 10 days 18 hours 8 minutes 47 seconds
Transformers doujinshi Crosshairs Bounce (A5 76pages) TWO GUYS - Time Remaining: 2 days 10 hours 18 minutes 40 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #188 - Mutinous Intent