Sunday, November 19th, 2017 12:06am CST

Category: Toy News
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 20,325

Fellow Seibertronian Cyberpath sent us some scans of the newly released Japanese Transformers Generations 2018 book which feature the upcoming Takara MP39 Masterpiece Sunstreaker.
We see multiple angles of his vehicle mode as well as how it converts into its super countash mode.

We also get a detailed look at the transformation. However, as detailed as it is, it still isn't fully clear how certain elements take form, such as his fake chest, with his chest changing from a real windshield to a fake one from one picture to the next.

The scans also show us concept sketches of Sunsteaker and his accessories such as his alien head.
This toy is to be released December 28, 2017.

The scans were from 北马伊斯力's Weibo page. Enjoy the images below!

Transformers News: New Images for Takara MP-39 Masterpiece Sunstreaker Showing Transformation Scheme

Credit(s): 北马伊斯力's Weibo page

Re: New Images for Takara MP-39 Masterpiece Sunstreaker Showing Transformation Scheme (1922626)
Posted by sol magnus on November 19th, 2017 @ 10:34am CST
Looking good.
Re: New Images for Takara MP-39 Masterpiece Sunstreaker Showing Transformation Scheme (1922629)
Posted by MGrotusque on November 19th, 2017 @ 10:45am CST
I'm stoked it has the same head reveal as the generations figure. That figure had the perfect reveal with his head rising up from his chest and the ears popping out like rays of a rising sun.
Re: New Images for Takara MP-39 Masterpiece Sunstreaker Showing Transformation Scheme (1922656)
Posted by Hoffrod on November 19th, 2017 @ 2:03pm CST
Re: New Images for Takara MP-39 Masterpiece Sunstreaker Showing Transformation Scheme (1922668)
Posted by Corsair on November 19th, 2017 @ 3:21pm CST
I don't have any of the G1 MPs, just Optimus Primal and Cheetor from BW, but I really, really like the look of Sunstreaker, also I had the episode "Hoist Goes Hollywood" on tape when I was a kid so that alien mask really takes me back.
Re: New Images for Takara MP-39 Masterpiece Sunstreaker Showing Transformation Scheme (1922676)
Posted by chuckdawg1999 on November 19th, 2017 @ 5:14pm CST
The figure is looking good but I'm really missing the gun hand, yes I'm aware it wasn't in the cartoon.
Re: New Images for Takara MP-39 Masterpiece Sunstreaker Showing Transformation Scheme (1922678)
Posted by Seibertron on November 19th, 2017 @ 5:22pm CST
Hoffrod wrote:I like the look overall with the transformation and body in both modes, but I HATE the head sculpt. I lean towards more detailing in the Masterpiece series versus the 'cartoon' look. To me, the original toy had the best head for 'Streak by far. I never understood people wanting a cartoon look to a character. Animation back then was deliberately simplified to reduce time and money in the cells, but wasnt meant to be an exact image of each character. Masterpiece means just that....a masterpiece. The detailing should be crazy intricate in every aspect.

;)^ :APPLAUSE:

100% agree!
Re: New Images for Takara MP-39 Masterpiece Sunstreaker Showing Transformation Scheme (1922694)
Posted by TK415 on November 19th, 2017 @ 7:14pm CST
I agree too. I want MP to look like real G1 Transformers. Sunstreaker looks like a cartoon. I can't stop seeing a 2D cartoon. Fun for Transformers Animated, but this is MP. Exact, beautiful realistic, off the screen to real life (but minature) G1 figure, not exact cartoon figure.
Re: New Images for Takara MP-39 Masterpiece Sunstreaker Showing Transformation Scheme (1922710)
Posted by william-james88 on November 19th, 2017 @ 8:27pm CST

I agree with this whole heartedly. And what is odd is that they do exactly that... in car mode. So you have this gorgeous looking real life car with intricate details which of course ends up in several parts of the robot mode but then you have a deliberately cartoony head that just clashes with all the more detailed alt mode parts.
Re: New Images for Takara MP-39 Masterpiece Sunstreaker Showing Transformation Scheme (1922717)
Posted by TK415 on November 19th, 2017 @ 8:48pm CST
Re: New Images for Takara MP-39 Masterpiece Sunstreaker Showing Transformation Scheme (1922719)
Posted by Emerje on November 19th, 2017 @ 9:06pm CST
TK415 wrote:Do you expect them to release a different version with a less cartoony head in the future? Sideswipe got another release with more accurate colors, right? Which still looked like 80-90% the same.

We've seen them go from a realistic version to a cartoon-ish repaint (Sideswipe, Red Alert), but not the other way around. Right now their only interest is either cartoon accuracy or G1 toy accuracy, but they seem to have lost interest in real-world accuracy some time ago.

Emerje
Re: New Images for Takara MP-39 Masterpiece Sunstreaker Showing Transformation Scheme (1922750)
Posted by william-james88 on November 19th, 2017 @ 11:45pm CST
Emerje wrote:

Emerje

But they do give us the option to have his alt mode be real world accurate, though I believe that had to be done inorder to get the licence. Just saying there is still some real world accuracy at play somewhere.
Re: New Images for Takara MP-39 Masterpiece Sunstreaker Showing Transformation Scheme (1922788)
Posted by gothsaurus on November 20th, 2017 @ 9:40am CST
I think we are all on the same page. While I love that we DO have a cartoon accurate head, it's so different from the crisp, pointy, technical original design. If ANY figure gets released with an alternate face and head to make it toy accurate, it should be this one.

I mean, this IS the first transforming character ever designed. (per discussions and reveals at Botcon.) Sunstreaker truly deserves a masterpiece release that pays homage to the toy mode in addition to the toon model.

All that said, I think it's interesting how they included a street legal mode, but I know I'd never display like that. We have the yellow repaint of Sideswipe if we want a yellow Lambo. This is all about the super mode. Hoping that doesn't compromise the design too much.
Re: New Images for Takara MP-39 Masterpiece Sunstreaker Showing Transformation Scheme (1922798)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on November 20th, 2017 @ 10:00am CST
MGrotusque wrote:Now we just need a 3rd party to make a way better head than this official version.

This is my 1 major gripe with the figure. I got Sideswipe now, and I kinda want to get Streaker at some point to go with his brother, but the head is just... cartoon accurate was really not the way to go this time around.

If it weren't for the head, I would consider placing a pre-order now. I'm gonna try to wait it out though, the brothers lambo need to unite
Re: New Images for Takara MP-39 Masterpiece Sunstreaker Showing Transformation Scheme (1922866)
Posted by Emerje on November 20th, 2017 @ 3:54pm CST
gothsaurus wrote:I mean, this IS the first transforming character ever designed. (per discussions and reveals at Botcon.)

Small caveat: first transforming real world vehicle ever designed. There were transforming toys before him, he's the first car to do it.

Emerje
Re: New Images for Takara MP-39 Masterpiece Sunstreaker Showing Transformation Scheme (1922870)
Posted by gothsaurus on November 20th, 2017 @ 4:06pm CST
Right. Thanks for the details. I'm hoping everyone here in the thread knew what I meant. Yeah, we're on the same page.
Re: New Images for Takara MP-39 Masterpiece Sunstreaker Showing Transformation Scheme (1925780)
Posted by Bronzewolf on December 8th, 2017 @ 11:49am CST
Now, just mere weeks before it's release, we finally have some in-packaging photos of MP-39 Sunstreaker! The pictures, coming from an account over on Weibo, show the traditional, high-quality box that most MP releases come in. The packaging also shows off his articulation, accessories, and scale compairisons, like normal. Something interesting to note (and something that's shown in the photos) is that his front-of-box pose is inspired by his classic G1 packaging, something we haven't really seen in Masterpiece releases. It will be fun to see if this is a running change with MP packaging! Check out the photos mirrored below, and then tell us in the Energon forum if you'll be picking this figure up!

Stay tuned to Seibertron.com for all the latest Transformers News and Reviews!
Re: New Images for Takara MP-39 Masterpiece Sunstreaker Showing Transformation Scheme (1925784)
Posted by Ravage XK on December 8th, 2017 @ 11:58am CST
Yes, I’ll be having on of these thank you.
Re: New Images for Takara MP-39 Masterpiece Sunstreaker Showing Transformation Scheme (1925843)
Posted by gothsaurus on December 8th, 2017 @ 3:16pm CST
I'm bummed there is no alternate G1 toy head. Hope a 3p will chime in with one of those in case we want to swap out.
Re: New Images for Takara MP-39 Masterpiece Sunstreaker Showing Transformation Scheme (1925845)
Posted by bigcee66 on December 8th, 2017 @ 3:18pm CST
I guess I'm the minority, but I'm cool with them looking more like the cartoon.
Re: New Images for Takara MP-39 Masterpiece Sunstreaker Showing Transformation Scheme (1925846)
Posted by gothsaurus on December 8th, 2017 @ 3:21pm CST
Oh don't get me wrong. That's my preference, BUT some of the other Masterpieces they've included both options.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #280 - A Roar That Grasps Victory
"A Roar That Grasps Victory"
Posted: Friday, July 16th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Series Deluxe Class Ironhide MOSC" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers TCG War for Cybertron Siege - Raider Ion Storm - CT T30 - WOTC 2019" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Earthrise War for Cybertron WFC-E14 RUNG Battle Masters NEW MOSC" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Stunticon MOTORMASTER" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Stunticon DRAGSTRIP" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Aerialbot AIR RAID" on EBAY
Buy "Used Transformers Unite Warriors UW-02 Menasor  Figure Takara Tomy F/S" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers 35th Special Edition War for Cybertron: Siege Bluestreak Toy Figure" on EBAY