New Images of SG Collect's Drift Model

New Images of SG Collect's Drift Model

Wednesday, May 27th, 2009 6:38am CDT

Categories: Toy News, Collectables
Posted by: DevastaTTor   Views: 7,073

Third-party model maker SG Collect has updated their blog with new images of a completely assembled prototype of its DFT-01 model kit, aka Drift. The model is seen unpainted in the photos but they do clearly show the figure's scale, weapons, and alt/robot modes.

According to the post, the unassembled and unpainted kit will be released at an unnamed convention sometime later in 2009 and will cost SG Collect members around 110 Singapore dollars (about 75 USD).

New Images of SG Collect's Drift Model

To view all the images and their blog posting, click
HERE

Credit(s): SG Collect

Re: New Images of SG Collect's Drift Model (927271)
Posted by Burn on May 27th, 2009 @ 6:56am CDT
Very nice looking prototype, can't wait to see it fully painted!
Re: New Images of SG Collect's Drift Model (927275)
Posted by Deadpool. on May 27th, 2009 @ 7:26am CDT
Looks good. Very good indeed.
Re: New Images of SG Collect's Drift Model (927276)
Posted by TheAllSpark on May 27th, 2009 @ 7:29am CDT
NICEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Althou I think he could be a bit taller...
You think we going to see a worldwide release of this little guy? :-?
Re: New Images of SG Collect's Drift Model (927281)
Posted by El Duque on May 27th, 2009 @ 8:11am CDT
Re: New Images of SG Collect's Drift Model (927302)
Posted by DevastaTTor on May 27th, 2009 @ 9:30am CDT
El Duque wrote:I'm a little confused. This is limited to 300 pieces and going to be available at some con this summer, but they are taking pre-orders. Looks like $100.00 for overseas buyers, but do you have to be a member to pre-order?

I'm wondering if it's going to be released/formally available at a convention but not as an exclusive.
Re: New Images of SG Collect's Drift Model (927310)
Posted by Diem on May 27th, 2009 @ 9:46am CDT
Re: New Images of SG Collect's Drift Model (927321)
Posted by Firebird on May 27th, 2009 @ 10:02am CDT
Diem wrote:Now, I've not been reading the comics. Is Drift actually a good character, or is he a shallow personification of OMFG NINJ45 IS AWES0M3?

Not so much that ninjas are awesome. More like former decepticon who was trained by secret 3rd faction who are neutral, and now fights with ridiculously huge swords to make up for all the bots he previously killed :P

It is a nice kit and looks very promising. Not sure if I want it though
Re: New Images of SG Collect's Drift Model (927328)
Posted by Diem on May 27th, 2009 @ 10:12am CDT
Firebird wrote:

Ugh. Yeah, sounds about right.

I remember when IDW said they wanted Drift to be "their Wolverine". I was thinking "Angry asshole who kicks ass, fails completely to listen to reasonable authority, gets severely overused and is always underestimated (by opponents, not writers or fans). Somehow fails to get court-martialed and instead gets moved to leadership positions. Constantly argues with saner, better teammate."

...but we already have Grimlock for all those things...
Re: New Images of SG Collect's Drift Model (927344)
Posted by Prime Evil on May 27th, 2009 @ 10:25am CDT

Not Wolverine-like.
Re: New Images of SG Collect's Drift Model (927349)
Posted by rpetras on May 27th, 2009 @ 10:30am CDT
Does anyone know anything about SG Collect?

I'm interested in the piece, but I'm not sure about sending them $$$ for a piece that won't be ready for 2 months since I know nothing about them.
Re: New Images of SG Collect's Drift Model (927352)
Posted by Diem on May 27th, 2009 @ 10:38am CDT
Prime Evil wrote:Diem, Drift isn't like that at all actually. He seems calm and remorseful about those that he has killed and isn't trying to redeem himself. He's looking to help out who he can however he can. Even at the cost of his own life, since he has already gotten his second chance. It's not about second chances with him. He's moving forward from his past (for now) and wanting to help.

Not Wolverine-like.

:shock: Is he...is he actually a good character?

I pretty much gave up on IDW after Spotlight: Nightbeat.
Re: New Images of SG Collect's Drift Model (927356)
Posted by Prime Evil on May 27th, 2009 @ 10:56am CDT
Diem wrote:

Not Wolverine-like.

:shock: Is he...is he actually a good character?

I pretty much gave up on IDW after Spotlight: Nightbeat.

Well, that hard to answer objectively. I personlly like him. Has a character like him been done before. Yeup. But what character hasn't. He's only had 1 issue to have any focus on and it was fast. He has some characterization in AHM, but then you are also dealing with a much larger cast and he can get lost in that as well. But Bumblebee seems to really dislike him.

He seems (to me) that he is really trying to be a better bot, no matter what some of the current bots think about him (BB). The nice thing was that when BB was coming down hard on him, for being and ex D-con, Hot Rod stuck up for him. You notice that Perceptor is different in the IDW-verse? Well, he was like old G1 Perceptor till something happened, and Drift ended up being the bot that saved him while jumping out of a burning Decepticon cruiser. So Percy and Drift kinda have a buddy type bond now, even though Percy ain't himself. He's like a super sniper now. Again IDW...

Sorry for that, but it's best for you to judge if YOU like him or not. Me. I like him. But maybe some of that might give you a lil insight to him.
Re: New Images of SG Collect's Drift Model (927365)
Posted by First Gen on May 27th, 2009 @ 11:09am CDT
Re: New Images of SG Collect's Drift Model (927379)
Posted by DevastaTTor on May 27th, 2009 @ 11:44am CDT
First Gen wrote:Wonder what all those who said he looks like a piece of crap blockformer are saying now.

I'm still not a big fan of the brick-like alt mode but the bot mode looks really nice.

I wish Takara would produce this if they resume the Henkei line. I'd buy it.
Re: New Images of SG Collect's Drift Model (927409)
Posted by zodconvoy on May 27th, 2009 @ 12:25pm CDT
Well, they got my $100 and I kept a copy of the reciept. I'm willing to give it a shot now rather than wait for BBTS to double charge. When (not if, trying to be positive) I get mine I'll let you know how it is!
Re: New Images of SG Collect's Drift Model (927420)
Posted by Narc on May 27th, 2009 @ 12:46pm CDT
rpetras wrote:Does anyone know anything about SG Collect?

Well, I just put an order in for him. It's supposed to ship out after their convention in Singapore around mid July. I'll scream bloody murder if I don't get it. I made sure to use Amex with Paypal.
Re: New Images of SG Collect's Drift Model (927428)
Posted by Prime Evil on May 27th, 2009 @ 12:53pm CDT
I'll probably end up ordering they guy AFTER I get back from botcon. See how much I have left in my account. I just got my message from SGCollect, so I'ma say yeah. He will be mine. :D
Re: New Images of SG Collect's Drift Model (927461)
Posted by kirbenvost on May 27th, 2009 @ 1:24pm CDT
I gotta admit I wasn't very impressed when I saw the first pics, but it's shaping up quite nicely. I'd be interested, but considering it's a kit and I have no assembly or painting skills, I'll have to pass. Also it's rather expensive for a character who's pretty much a novelty to me, at this point.

Let's hope if Hasbro ever makes a Drift toy it turns out half as good as this.
Re: New Images of SG Collect's Drift Model (927645)
Posted by El Duque on May 27th, 2009 @ 7:13pm CDT
Did a little reading on the SGCollect forums. The guys who seems to be in charge states the figure should be less difficult to assemble than a 1/144 Gundam, which is pretty simple IMHO. He also states painting will for the most part be optional, the pieces should be pre-molded in the correct colors. I'm assuming just the details will require painting. I'm still not sure how this is a con exclusive when apparently anyone can place for order one. I went ahead followed the instructions for overseas buyers and paid $100.00 via paypal, $85.00 for the set $15.00 for shipping. He says there should be a colored prototype in less than a month. Hopefully I didn't just waste $100.00.
Re: New Images of SG Collect's Drift Model (927658)
Posted by Primacron's Little Helper on May 27th, 2009 @ 8:01pm CDT
Well, I've just paid the $100 as well, transformers with swords are just plain awesome.

Let's hope it turns out well!

The character is pretty cool but I think IDW could just have used a pre-existing character. Stepper/Ricochet would have got my vote.

Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Legends Class Thundercracker Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Overlord Decepticon Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #276 - Whoops! All Bumblebees
"Whoops! All Bumblebees"
Posted: Sunday, May 16th, 2021

Buy "LG50 Sixshot | Japanese Transformers Legends Import Takara Tomy Generations" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS 1985 G1 Hasbro  Milton Bradley Card # 47 Purple Vs Blue Sky Variant" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Breakaway Throttle" on EBAY