Wednesday, July 12th, 2017 9:22am CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: Kurona   Views: 20,191

More and more images of upcoming Takara products just keep on coming -- right after some Transformers Legends images earlier today, TakaraTomy now has up on their shopping website new images of the Mall-exclusive set of Masterpiece Cassettes. Containing Nightstalker, Wingthing, Stripes and Enemy - repaints of the yet-to-be-released-new-mold Steeljaw, Ratbat, Ravage and Rumble/Frenzy Masterpiece molds respectively - MP15/16-E as it is known is set to release in December of this year for a hefty 10,800 yen; or around 90 dollars to me and you. Check out the new pictures below and tell us if this endears you to them any more in the forums!

Transformers News: New images of Takara Masterpiece MP15/16-E Cassette set -- Nightstalker, Wingthing, Stripes & Enemy

Re: New images of Takara Masterpiece MP15 / 16-E Cassette set -- Nightstalker, Wingthing, Stripes & Enemy (1896189)
Posted by Sabrblade on July 12th, 2017 @ 9:43am CDT
Did you guys know that MP Enemy was almost a part of the BotCon 2015 boxed set?
Re: New images of Takara Masterpiece MP15 / 16-E Cassette set -- Nightstalker, Wingthing, Stripes & Enemy (1896190)
Posted by Kurona on July 12th, 2017 @ 9:44am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:Did you guys know that MP Enemy was almost a part of the BotCon 2015 boxed set?

Wasn't that 2017, as a redeco of TR Rumble?
Re: New images of Takara Masterpiece MP15 / 16-E Cassette set -- Nightstalker, Wingthing, Stripes & Enemy (1896197)
Posted by Diem on July 12th, 2017 @ 9:49am CDT
Random thoughts:

* Wow, that Steeljaw mold winds up being tiny in lion mode
* Is Wingthing transforming into a tape instead of a cannon the thing now? That seems pretty backwards and dull.
* It's pretty weird to me that Stripes is apparently higher in the Ravage repaint hierarchy than Howlback and/or Glit
Re: New images of Takara Masterpiece MP15 / 16-E Cassette set -- Nightstalker, Wingthing, Stripes & Enemy (1896198)
Posted by Sabrblade on July 12th, 2017 @ 9:49am CDT
Kurona wrote:

Wasn't that 2017, as a redeco of TR Rumble?
Not what I was referring to.

Re: New images of Takara Masterpiece MP15 / 16-E Cassette set -- Nightstalker, Wingthing, Stripes & Enemy (1896200)
Posted by Sabrblade on July 12th, 2017 @ 9:53am CDT
Diem wrote:Random thoughts:

* Wow, that Steeljaw mold winds up being tiny in lion mode
These four are MP versions of the four Encore-exclusive cassettes who came with Encore Twincast and Encore Soundblaster.

Re: New images of Takara Masterpiece MP15 / 16-E Cassette set -- Nightstalker, Wingthing, Stripes & Enemy (1896205)
Posted by Diem on July 12th, 2017 @ 10:06am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Diem wrote:Random thoughts:

* Wow, that Steeljaw mold winds up being tiny in lion mode

Right, but that set was very much a well-we-pretty-much-ran-out-of-characters-for-the-G1-molds-to-be session, which feels more like desperation when backed into a corner than anything to aspire to (with Enemy getting a sullen pass). With regards to the relatively unspoiled MP molds there are surely some D-listers (Cobalt Sentries, Kiss Players Position) that rank ahead of these incredible Z-listers.
Re: New images of Takara Masterpiece MP15 / 16-E Cassette set -- Nightstalker, Wingthing, Stripes & Enemy (1896207)
Posted by Kurona on July 12th, 2017 @ 10:08am CDT
Diem wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Diem wrote:Random thoughts:

* Wow, that Steeljaw mold winds up being tiny in lion mode

Much as I would dearly love to get a Howlback, I think they more or less decided to do this specific group right now because they saw they had a new Steeljaw mold coming up to accompany Blaster. And... gotta say, credit where its due; previewing a partner mold like this without actually announcing its intended use or partner yet is not a terrible marketing strategy. Gets people excited.
Re: New images of Takara Masterpiece MP15 / 16-E Cassette set -- Nightstalker, Wingthing, Stripes & Enemy (1896236)
Posted by shajaki on July 12th, 2017 @ 12:10pm CDT
Diem wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Diem wrote:Random thoughts:
* Wow, that Steeljaw mold winds up being tiny in lion mode
I really don't understand this complaint. Aren't they ALL z-listers? I don't see them as being any more or less interesting than the other sets you listed.
Re: New images of Takara Masterpiece MP15 / 16-E Cassette set -- Nightstalker, Wingthing, Stripes & Enemy (1896237)
Posted by Sigma Magnus on July 12th, 2017 @ 12:15pm CDT
I don't really get these complaints. Sure, I'd love those other cassettes, but these are fine too. They're Masterpiece versions of those Encore cassettes, and that is cool! I never thought we'd see them again. Once Blaster is released, I'm expecting a ton more cassette packs, new and old molds alike, including those other ones you guys want. Just gotta be patient.
Re: New images of Takara Masterpiece MP15 / 16-E Cassette set -- Nightstalker, Wingthing, Stripes & Enemy (1896242)
Posted by Hydrargyrus on July 12th, 2017 @ 12:33pm CDT
Yeah, these guys are technically extraordinarily minor characters. However, they, by now, have a nostalgic air about them, whether or not their first release made sense. I think that's the case; correct me if I'm wrong.
Re: New images of Takara Masterpiece MP15 / 16-E Cassette set -- Nightstalker, Wingthing, Stripes & Enemy (1896244)
Posted by Kurona on July 12th, 2017 @ 12:39pm CDT
I guess in the sense that anything can be nostalgic, but... I dunno.

I think we as a collective on this website can get into a bubble sometimes since we're all pretty hardcore fans -- maybe we haven't memorised every obscure Manga off by heart or even watched every mainstream cartoon, but in general we know a hell of a lot more about Transformers than the average person off the street. If we get news about a new Titan Master release based on Shuffler, the Japan-exclusive Autobot Master Warrior that was never in any fiction ever; we immediately know who that guy is. We're much more knowledgable on the franchise than your average fan -- I'm not meaning this as an insult or judgement or jab or whatever at either side of the fandom; simply as an empirical fact.

So when something like this comes around, we sort it into a category of slightly more well-known or slightly more nostalgic or slightly more obscure than another set of E-hobby exclusive cassette repaints, when really... we're in a very small fandom minority that actually knows who any of these are. Maybe these guys are J-listers while Howlback and Garboil are H-listers; but what does that matter when most of the fandom and hence the larger consumer base expected to buy this only really know their As, Bs and on occasion Cs? All of them are obscure, no matter which way you put it. No-one knows any of them.
Re: New images of Takara Masterpiece MP15 / 16-E Cassette set -- Nightstalker, Wingthing, Stripes & Enemy (1896262)
Posted by Shackwave on July 12th, 2017 @ 1:25pm CDT
I noticed Stripes is actually modified from the Ravage mould to give him the different hip weapons, meaning that if we get Steeljaw, they would likely remould Nightstalker to give him little wings like the G1 toy. Quite an effort really, since it affects transformation.
Re: New images of Takara Masterpiece MP15 / 16-E Cassette set -- Nightstalker, Wingthing, Stripes & Enemy (1896263)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on July 12th, 2017 @ 1:40pm CDT
You are all focusing too much on the "why". I say, "why not?" It's nothing more than a specialty set, as such naturally an exclusive to TakaraTomy Mall. Once Broadcast and Twincast are released, we can expect the "proper" Cassettes to be released, as general Japanese retail.
Re: New images of Takara Masterpiece MP15 / 16-E Cassette set -- Nightstalker, Wingthing, Stripes & Enemy (1896289)
Posted by Hydrargyrus on July 12th, 2017 @ 5:10pm CDT
Allow me to clarify: I absolutely love that they are doing this, whether I buy them or not.
I also meant that when we see Frenzy and Rumble, we want another one to be 'Enemy'- for reasons that must boil down to some form of ...nostalgia? Poor wording on my part.
I mean, when you think about it, there really is not much difference between an obscure character and a popular one.
Re: New images of Takara Masterpiece MP15 / 16-E Cassette set -- Nightstalker, Wingthing, Stripes & Enemy (1896313)
Posted by Big Grim on July 12th, 2017 @ 7:09pm CDT
More cassettecons makes for an excited Grim. Especially since I don't have MP Ratbat!
Re: New images of Takara Masterpiece MP15 / 16-E Cassette set -- Nightstalker, Wingthing, Stripes & Enemy (1896320)
Posted by Kurona on July 12th, 2017 @ 7:33pm CDT
I think Wingthing is probably the most exciting thing in the set aside from Nightstalker since he's the only Cassette mold not previously sold without a much larger MP partner. Aside from like, in that one TFCC set.
Re: New images of Takara Masterpiece MP15 / 16-E Cassette set -- Nightstalker, Wingthing, Stripes & Enemy (1896352)
Posted by sol magnus on July 12th, 2017 @ 9:23pm CDT
As much as I'm enjoying the semantics discussion, I'm pretty much stoked for the eventual Blaster/Broadcast release.
Re: New images of Takara Masterpiece MP15 / 16-E Cassette set -- Nightstalker, Wingthing, Stripes & Enemy (1896356)
Posted by Kurona on July 12th, 2017 @ 9:28pm CDT
I really want a Leader-sized Twincast.

It's very difficult to explain why and I don't think I fully understand why myself. I just... really want one. If it doesn't happen as a result of a TR boxset, then by god will I love seeing the sales on the not-MP Twincasts and Blasters from KFC and whatnot once the official figure drops. What do we call that effect? The Inferno effect or the Laserwave effect? :-?
Re: New images of Takara Masterpiece MP15 / 16-E Cassette set -- Nightstalker, Wingthing, Stripes & Enemy (1896369)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on July 12th, 2017 @ 10:40pm CDT
Kurona wrote:I really want a Leader-sized Twincast.

Whichever came first? Then again, even though G1 Thunderwing came first, the effect of the price of an older figure sky-rocketing due to major fictional appearance was named after the later G1 Bludgeon.
Re: New images of Takara Masterpiece MP15 / 16-E Cassette set -- Nightstalker, Wingthing, Stripes & Enemy (1896519)
Posted by TreyTable on July 13th, 2017 @ 2:13pm CDT
Wow. These MP tapes look great. I would love MP Enemy and MP Wingthing to go with my MP Soundblaster, but that price tag is insane. I know this may not be a popular opinion among purists, but I'll wait for the KO versions.

Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Steeljaw Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #278 - The Return of Rodimus Prime
"The Return of Rodimus Prime"
Posted: Sunday, June 13th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Construct Bots Kit & Parts By Hasbro Ultimate Class E1:01 Megatron" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers AOE Deluxe Lot. Crosshairs and Drift" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Loyal Subjects Optimus Prime Action Figure Funko Pop Autobot" on EBAY
Buy "The Loyal Subjects Transformers Series 2 Shrapnel insecticon in box- opened bag" on EBAY
Buy "The Loyal Subjects Transformers Series 2 ramjet Seeker 2/16 in box- opened bag" on EBAY
Buy "The Loyal Subjects Transformers Series 2 Sideswipe Autobot 84 in box- opened bag" on EBAY
Buy "The Loyal Subjects Transformers Series 2 Thrust Seeker 2/16 in box- opened bag" on EBAY
Buy "New Transformers Construct-Bots Optimus Prime Vs. Megatron Construction Set" on EBAY