New Images - Takara Tomy Legends Kup

Transformers News: New Images - Takara Tomy Legends Kup

Tuesday, April 18th, 2017 12:02AM CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: D-Maximus_Prime   Views: 24,866

Seibertronian Cyberpath is at it again, this time bringing us new images of the upcoming Takara Legends Kup from TakaraTomy Mall! For those who were worried about the gray color scheme, it appears as though bad lighting was the reason for the grayish feel, as these new images show Kup in a daker teal sort of color, more closely matching his cartoon self. Check out the new images below, and let us know what you think of them in the comments section below!

Transformers News: New Images - Takara Tomy Legends Kup

Transformers News: New Images - Takara Tomy Legends Kup

Transformers News: New Images - Takara Tomy Legends Kup

Transformers News: New Images - Takara Tomy Legends Kup

Transformers News: New Images - Takara Tomy Legends Kup

Transformers News: New Images - Takara Tomy Legends Kup
Credit(s): Takara Tomy Mall
Re: New Images - Takara Tomy Legends Kup (1875100)
Posted by fenrir72 on April 18th, 2017 @ 12:03am CDT
Cyberpath wrote:New photos of LG46 Kup, also, Takara tweaked the colours --

And the assertive segment of TF fandom sighed a breathe of relief! :lol:
Re: New Images - Takara Tomy Legends Kup (1875101)
Posted by Seibertron on April 18th, 2017 @ 12:06am CDT
Re: New Images - Takara Tomy Legends Kup (1875102)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on April 18th, 2017 @ 12:12am CDT
I can already predict the arguments to be put forward:

- image color settings, like hue, saturation, contrast and the like
- lighting
- monitor settings
- personal color perception

And I have a feeling in-hand images won't change a thing.

I will reiterate Recoil looks an awful lot like [strike]whats-his-name-again[/strike] Pointblank's partner Peacemaker.
Re: New Images - Takara Tomy Legends Kup (1875103)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on April 18th, 2017 @ 12:18am CDT
Seibertron wrote:Still looks too gray to me. Looks very similar to me for the most part except for different lighting or saturation. Where's the blue or bluish gray?

Huh. The difference is night and day to me. Granted, the teal is dark and the pale blue/green is very pale, but I can see it. I can kind of make myself see them as "gray" almost, but I have to concentrate. For the original photos, I can't make them look anything but gray no matter how hard I try.

Color really is a very subjective experience. Who knew Kup's colors were so hard to really nail down? Let's just hope this doesn't become a whole blue vs. white dress thing.
Re: New Images - Takara Tomy Legends Kup (1875106)
Posted by Emerje on April 18th, 2017 @ 12:32am CDT
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:For those who were worried about the gray color scheme, it appears as though bad lighting was the reason for the grayish feel, as these new images show Kup in a daker teal sort of color, more closely matching his cartoon self.

Those have clearly been photoshopped (by Takara Tomy using new photos), just look at those strangely colored shadows. Would prefer it was a bit more blue, but still, it's a good faith gesture and admittance that they really screwed up the first time around. ;)^

Emerje
Re: New Images - Takara Tomy Legends Kup (1875107)
Posted by Seibertron on April 18th, 2017 @ 12:38am CDT
Wolfman Jake wrote:Color really is a very subjective experience.

It's not. There's a character who's been around for 31 years. Until this version of him, he's more or less been the same color palette (bluish-green, greenish-blue, or comic book 4 colors only blue). Then there's this figure that is homaging some obscure color scheme from an episode who's entire color palette is too dark (i.e. Ultra Magnus is a very dark red, Spike Witwicky's skin color is way off, etc. It's not just Kup who was too dark of a color in that episode).

Wolfman Jake wrote:Who knew Kup's colors were so hard to really nail down?

They're not. Google Images can be Takara's friend too.

I think what's frustrating to me about this is that instead of them just doing it right, they're doing this one-off oddball color scheme, everyone argues about it online, blah blah blah, and then they later release a convention or online exclusive "anime" accurate or "G1 toy" accurate color scheme, everyone will say "wow, they really did listen to fans" when, in fact, it was just them doing a "well, it's a close enough color scheme, but not entirely what fans want, so we'll do the less desirable one first so that fans buy it, and then come out with the more desired color scheme later so that we can double dip on sales.

This pattern is frustrating and seeing fans argue ad-nauseum is also frustrating. I don't mind seeing a less desirable character get the new mold treatment first (i.e. Sky Shadow over Overlord) but seeing a less popular or inaccurate color scheme first makes me feel like we keep getting taken for a ride.
Re: New Images - Takara Tomy Legends Kup (1875110)
Posted by fenrir72 on April 18th, 2017 @ 12:52am CDT
The new images looks a tad greener. We'll have ta wait for the official official final copy for the public in hand version then.

Concerning Ryan's comments, maybe the guy at Takara in charge of color setting sees colors differently? And like, too bad he gets the final say like what happened to MP Shockwave or how the various JP Galvatron versions had different shades of purple.

Or could the color choice have an economic element and the local supplier has raised the price on green gray teal?
Re: New Images - Takara Tomy Legends Kup (1875111)
Posted by Seibertron on April 18th, 2017 @ 12:56am CDT
Just an FYI ... I had my wife look at the pics, and she said the ones on the right of Kup (the new pics) definitely had a green tint, and the ones on the left definitely looked gray. So this could be a color blindness thing. While not what I wanted to hear her say, it makes me feel a little bit better about it. I definitely see the "green" in the pics on the right, but it looks like a very grayish green to me which she confirmed that it did look like a greenish gray (but I think to her the green looks more prominent). I showed her what Kup is supposed to look like from Google images, and she said he definitely doesn't look like that. So take all of that for what you will.
Re: New Images - Takara Tomy Legends Kup (1875112)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on April 18th, 2017 @ 1:01am CDT

It really doesn't look that far off to me. All of these screen caps are from "The Transformers: The Movie." Maybe that's what Takara is specifically going for?

Seibertron, would you have your wife look at these comparisons? She might agree they look a lot closer than the comparisons you gave her earlier, which, in my opinion, are all over the map in terms of hue and saturation.
Re: New Images - Takara Tomy Legends Kup (1875114)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on April 18th, 2017 @ 1:07am CDT
Eh I was quite into the grey look but this looks nice too. I definitely prefer it over the really bright teal of previous toys.
Re: New Images - Takara Tomy Legends Kup (1875116)
Posted by Deadput on April 18th, 2017 @ 1:16am CDT
Ughhh.

This is great the only reason I was ever going to get it was because it was grey so it could become a different character on my shelf and I can't paint to save my life.

I really hope there is a grey version either later or it gets released with this one.
Re: New Images - Takara Tomy Legends Kup (1875117)
Posted by Seibertron on April 18th, 2017 @ 1:25am CDT
Re: New Images - Takara Tomy Legends Kup (1875119)
Posted by Burn on April 18th, 2017 @ 1:33am CDT

But then TakaraTomy come along and do this and make both Hot Rod, Kup AND Gnaw (who was already a great little figure) more appealing.

I should just bite the bullet and order them.
Re: New Images - Takara Tomy Legends Kup (1875121)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on April 18th, 2017 @ 1:48am CDT
Burn wrote:You know, I was never really on-board with TR Hot Rod, but I got him anyway. And TR Kup? ugh, nope, didn't like.

I should just bite the bullet and order them.

I would do it now, before everyone else buys them up. Remember, Hot Rod and Kup come with "exclusive" Targetmaster partners too. I was going to buy Legends Kup when we all thought he was gonna be gray, just to get Recoil.
Re: New Images - Takara Tomy Legends Kup (1875122)
Posted by Qwan on April 18th, 2017 @ 2:04am CDT
Whew, glad to see I made the right choice slapping that pre-order on Kup when I did. I mean he's not out of stock yet I guess, but still it makes me feel good to have accurately "predicted the trend" or whatever. I'm much happier with his colors - whether they're perfect or not, they make him look like Kup! Honestly, that's good enough for me and this will absolutely be my Classics etc. Kup once I get him in September or so.

Still not decided on Hot Rod though; I'm gonna have to see a few more angles (or maybe something in motion?) - especially a better look at that chest - before I make a judgement on him.
Re: New Images - Takara Tomy Legends Kup (1875123)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on April 18th, 2017 @ 2:13am CDT
Seibertron wrote:Those tftm movie screen caps most recently posted for comparison are very dark. That's not how the movie looks. Maybe I have the brightness turned up more or something. I'll pop in my copies tomorrow to verify or put my foot in my mouth.

Just checked both a digital copy of the movie I got and the DVD from some years ago on both my PS4 and my PC and they both look that 'dark'. Could be I just have my screen settings that way on both the TV and monitor cos that's how I like it but if they showed everything else I watch/play on them too dark I should have noticed by now. Could be just that the movie is supposed to be a bit darker in colour due to the more complex shading or story tone compared to the more upbeat TV series. Either way I definitely prefer a darker Kup to overly bright previous toy Kup so I'm sticking with the pre-order for now. Takara really turned this mold from a toy I didn't really care for at all to one I actually want.
Re: New Images - Takara Tomy Legends Kup (1875125)
Posted by jungletron on April 18th, 2017 @ 2:41am CDT
<!-- ia0 -->images (1).jpg<!-- ia0 -->
Re: New Images - Takara Tomy Legends Kup (1875128)
Posted by Burn on April 18th, 2017 @ 3:26am CDT
Wolfman Jake wrote:

I should just bite the bullet and order them.

Yeah, fine, done. :-P
Re: New Images - Takara Tomy Legends Kup (1875129)
Posted by kirbenvost on April 18th, 2017 @ 3:27am CDT
Well, dangit. It was such an easy no, but with the color change and having just watched the '86 movie again yesterday, I better put a preorder in.
Re: New Images - Takara Tomy Legends Kup (1875136)
Posted by Deadput on April 18th, 2017 @ 4:56am CDT
Even with the color change from grey to teal I'm still going to get him and Hot Rod becuase the changes to the mold such as new arms or chest is enough to justify the purchuses.

What I'm personally going to do is

Kup: Instead of going with Armorhide Takara Kup is going to be "retired" Kup with the Hasbro version being him during his time with the Wreckers in my collections universe.

Hot Rod: Since the chest doesn't fold making it bulkier and the colors seem to match I'm going to make Takara Hot Rod into a trailer-less Rodimus Prime by giving him the Hasbro Box set Rodimus Titan master with Hasbro Hot Rod being well... Hot Rod.

Ending Soon On eBay

DHL TAKARA TRANSFORMERS 2015 TOKYO EXCLUSIVE ROTF LEADER NIGHTMARE MEGATRON - Time Remaining: 4 days 3 hours 35 minutes 16 seconds
Transformers legends LG40 ASTROTRAIN Takara Tomy - Time Remaining: 15 days 18 hours 53 minutes 2 seconds
ANGRY BIRDS TRANSFORMERS BUMBLEBEE BIRD BATTLE GAME NEW TOY - Time Remaining: 4 days 21 hours 55 minutes 19 seconds
GI Joe Cobra SDCC 2012 Transformers Crossover Decepticon Shockwave HISS Tank - Time Remaining: 2 days 10 hours 19 minutes 12 seconds
Transformers G1 Parts 1988 OVERLORD shoulder rocket cone powermaster - Time Remaining: 14 days 9 hours 22 minutes 59 seconds
Hasbro Transformers Beast hunters Voyager class Optimus Prime 100% complete - Time Remaining: 2 days 12 hours 28 minutes 17 seconds
New Transformers Generation Toy GT-4 J4ZZ MP Jazz Figure - Time Remaining: 2 days 22 hours 32 minutes 49 seconds
TFSS LIFELINE & QUICKSLINGER Transformers Subscription Collectors Club BRAND NEW - Time Remaining: 4 days 20 hours 55 minutes 49 seconds
Website Security Test