Transformers News: New Official Images of Transformers Studio Series Movie 1 Optimus Prime and Bonecrusher

Monday, December 3rd, 2018 11:47AM CST

Categories: Movie Related News, Toy News
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 12,866

Thanks to TF Factory on Weibo, we have new stock images for Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime (ver 2) and Bonecrusher. Both of these are voyagers that will retail for $29.99 USD in January 2019. Optimus can combine with the upcoming leader Jetfire (the previous release cannot). We see the backgrounds they come with and it is both the same image of a highway, reminding us where the fight between Bonecrsher and Optimus took place in the first live action film from 2007. This Optimus serves a double purpose then of being both Optimus from the first film and from the second one where he combines with jetfire, ultimately making the previous release entirely obsolete (aside from some nice swords). That makes sense, of course, since Optimus Prime did not change any significant detail of his robot mode between both those films.

Credit(s): TF Factory
Re: New Official Images of Transformers Studio Series Movie 1 Optimus Prime and Bonecrusher (1996827)
Posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman on December 3rd, 2018 @ 11:56am CST
Overcracker wrote:Megs is looking better than I thought. Not feeling the soft goods shroud however. Seems just a bit cheap.

But still, makes me want to get Megs.

Also I want Cog and Sideswipe.

Why does having a piece that should be made of fabric, be made of fabric, feel cheap? Vinyl doesn't shift and drape and fall like actual cloth does.
Re: New Official Images of Transformers Studio Series Movie 1 Optimus Prime and Bonecrusher (1996831)
Posted by Overcracker on December 3rd, 2018 @ 12:16pm CST
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:

But still, makes me want to get Megs.

Also I want Cog and Sideswipe.

Because it looks wrong, it doesn't drape correctly even though it is cloth. It's not even remotely close to what the onscreen shroud looked like. Very Soft vinyl, or another kind of fabric that is less stiff may have looked better and correctly draped on him. Also, it looks too clean.

The material used is what looks cheap.
Re: New Official Images of Transformers Studio Series Movie 1 Optimus Prime and Bonecrusher (1996834)
Posted by Black Hat on December 3rd, 2018 @ 12:54pm CST

Also, Bonecrusher looks a bit...small.
Re: New Official Images of Transformers Studio Series Movie 1 Optimus Prime and Bonecrusher (1996835)
Posted by Overcracker on December 3rd, 2018 @ 1:12pm CST
Black Hat wrote:Regarding Megatron's cloak, the problem with cloth on action figures (especially TFs) is it usually looks woefully out of scale. A fabric square that's for the sake of argument 6 metres in size will not behave the same as a square of the same fabric cut to 6 inches due to the effects of gravity and the fact the smaller square is proportionately thicker- you'd have to make the fabric much thinner and more flexible/less stiff for it to look convincing. And regrettably, even higher-end manufacturers like Mezco can't get fabric to not look overscale on their figures (hence why their figures all look like they're wearing woolen pyjamas) so what hope does a retail-budget toyline have? Short of using expensive microfibre cloth (which would push the price of the figure up) it just ain't happening. I'd like it if a 3P made a replacement that either went the route of the original DOTM figure with a soft vinyl cloak (except done better) or took a leaf out of the Revoltech Amazing Yamaguchi line and made a multi-part plastic arrangement connected by joints, allowing for positioning and a better looking (if somewhat stylized) solution.

Exactly. The original DotM Megs vinyl cloak worked well enough. Yes it was shaped to only drape over him. but it works.

I don't really need the cloak to react to wind like it did in the movie, or be poseable. But just that looks better than this.

The original cloak worked well for Robot mode, but suffered in vehicle mode due to stiffness. I realize its going to be hard to get something that works well on both modes.

DC Action figures have managed to create good looking pliable vinyl capes and soft goods fabric capes for Batman in particular for some retail releases. Something like that would work for Megs.
Re: New Official Images of Transformers Studio Series Movie 1 Optimus Prime and Bonecrusher (1996836)
Posted by Short Circuit on December 3rd, 2018 @ 1:29pm CST
Those clip on wheels look horrible. Such nice sculpted and painted wheels and they gut two thirds of the rim. :(
Re: New Official Images of Transformers Studio Series Movie 1 Optimus Prime and Bonecrusher (1996838)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on December 3rd, 2018 @ 1:44pm CST

Is nice to see him standing near a deluxe figure there so it shows he's not ridiculously tall compared to them which is what I worried about when he was announced as leader class. Doesn't look hugely different to seeing RotF Megatron and Jazz on my shelf here.

Yeah the cloth cloak looks a bit odd but I'm glad they got the chains this time and I'm liking the rusty deco he has all over him. He looks like he's gonna be a bunch of fun and can sort out a replacement for the cloak if necessary later on.
Re: New Official Images of Transformers Studio Series Movie 1 Optimus Prime and Bonecrusher (1996846)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 3rd, 2018 @ 2:27pm CST
Re: New Official Images of Transformers Studio Series Movie 1 Optimus Prime and Bonecrusher (1996847)
Posted by william-james88 on December 3rd, 2018 @ 2:33pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:probably cost at least $800. No one here wants to have to pay that much for a Transformers toy, right?

Isnt that how much MP Hound is gonna be at this point?
Re: New Official Images of Transformers Studio Series Movie 1 Optimus Prime and Bonecrusher (1996851)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on December 3rd, 2018 @ 3:03pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:Regarding Devastator's scale with the other figures, in order Devastator to be the correct size when set against everyone else, he would have to be the size of a real person, which would be a ridiculously large size and probably cost at least $800. No one here wants to have to pay that much for a Transformers toy, right?

Make it a Devastator costume and you can stomp about around (or onto) your other figures! :D
Re: New Official Images of Transformers Studio Series Movie 1 Optimus Prime and Bonecrusher (1996875)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on December 3rd, 2018 @ 5:08pm CST
Overcracker wrote:
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:

But still, makes me want to get Megs.

Also I want Cog and Sideswipe.

The material used is what looks cheap.

Betcha an Etsy Mom could make a killer by making a bunch of custom Megs cloaks.
Re: New Official Images of Transformers Studio Series Movie 1 Optimus Prime and Bonecrusher (1996883)
Posted by Spider5800 on December 3rd, 2018 @ 6:45pm CST

Ugh. Yeah, its not the pose, he's just short. Even with Prime he's a little smaller than he should be (Prime is 28 feet tall, he's supposed to be 25 feet tall, his head should be at Prime's chest). He's even shorter than SS Ironhide, from what I can see here, which is just...wrong. Incredible letdown.

It's a pretty good looking mold, too! But one of the biggest appeals for me with this line is that we were finally getting characters in correct scale with each other, and this is way off. I can't believe they would do this AGAIN with the same character :BANG_HEAD: .
Re: New Official Images of Transformers Studio Series Movie 1 Optimus Prime and Bonecrusher (1996894)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on December 3rd, 2018 @ 7:15pm CST
Ugh, I am so excited for the line next year. Megatron looks absolutely amazing, The constructicons are gonna be a smash with the combining gimmick done right finally, the Jetfire/Prime is awesome, so glad I passed on the first SS Prime. WWII Bee is pretty fun too. And I cannot wait for Shatter. Gotta get Dropkick so i can have the 2 together!
Re: New Official Images of Transformers Studio Series Movie 1 Optimus Prime and Bonecrusher (1996896)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on December 3rd, 2018 @ 7:16pm CST
Son Bonnie should be a Leader then?
Re: New Official Images of Transformers Studio Series Movie 1 Optimus Prime and Bonecrusher (1996920)
Posted by Ig89ninja on December 3rd, 2018 @ 9:44pm CST
At this point, the only way Bonecrusher gets a priority buy is if he is an alternate Devastator component.
Re: New Official Images of Transformers Studio Series Movie 1 Optimus Prime and Bonecrusher (1996955)
Posted by ZeroWolf on December 4th, 2018 @ 4:13am CST
I don't quite understand people's frustration with bonecrusher...he looks the part to me and I'm my mind scales perfectly :) So you may not want him but I do, and devastator aside, I think Studio Series has knocked them out of the park scale wise. All this just goes to show how hard it is to literally please everyone!
Re: New Official Images of Transformers Studio Series Movie 1 Optimus Prime and Bonecrusher (1996956)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on December 4th, 2018 @ 4:23am CST
ZeroWolf wrote:All this just goes to show how hard it is to literally please everyone!

There's also a prime rule:
When trying to please everyone you ALWAYS end up pleasing no one.
Re: New Official Images of Transformers Studio Series Movie 1 Optimus Prime and Bonecrusher (1996958)
Posted by ZeroWolf on December 4th, 2018 @ 4:32am CST
-Kanrabat- wrote:

There's also a prime rule:
When trying to please everyone you ALWAYS end up pleasing no one.

Well said :)
Re: New Official Images of Transformers Studio Series Movie 1 Optimus Prime and Bonecrusher (1996964)
Posted by Nathaniel Prime on December 4th, 2018 @ 6:27am CST
Re: New Official Images of Transformers Studio Series Movie 1 Optimus Prime and Bonecrusher (1996968)
Posted by ZeroWolf on December 4th, 2018 @ 6:38am CST
Nathaniel Prime wrote:Yeah, the new Prime looks great, way better than the first one, and Bonecrusher looks awesome. About his scaling, wasn't he this size in the movie anyway? I mean I watched it yesterday, so it's still pretty fresh in my mind, but Bonecrusher did look to be that size. Anyway, everything coming out of Studio Series is awesome and I cannot wait anymore for them. My local Targets and Walmarts still have Stinger and Lockdown, with the occasional other figures from Wave 1. I didn't expect the dissappointment upon actually seeing SS Megatron in store. The pictures I saw didn't make his grey plastic this ugly. He is a great Megatron figure though. Siege of course is where I might actually buy some figures that I need, like Prime, Megatron, and Shockwave. And some Weaponizers. I love those guys :x

I think know is a great time to be a transformers fan :D
Re: New Official Images of Transformers Studio Series Movie 1 Optimus Prime and Bonecrusher (1996969)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on December 4th, 2018 @ 6:43am CST
Nathaniel Prime wrote: I didn't expect the dissappointment upon actually seeing SS Megatron in store. The pictures I saw didn't make his grey plastic this ugly.

A small pot of metallic model paint works a treat on Megatron. :)

I need to add another thin layer to some places like the leg panels cos they a bit streaky but yeah overall much happier with how more metal he looks and it didn't take very long. Jazz is in front who comes silver painted as standard and you can see my Megatron has some shine to him too and better than the drab grey plastic he is underneath. I went with a sorta darker tone of metallic paint with this but there are other options to suit what sorta shade you'd like Megs to be. :)
DSC_0002.jpg

Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Wheeljack" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #213 - How to Say Expensive and Mean It
"How to Say Expensive and Mean It"
Posted: Sunday, December 9th, 2018

Buy "Beachcomber Collection 3 100% Complete Micro Changers Kre-O Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "Beachcomber Tech Specs Mini 1985 Vintage Hasbro G1 Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "New 2012 Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Nova Stinger Bow Airachnid Figure 3"" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers: SWERVE. Cyber Planet Key. Unopened!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Slipstream Scout Class Action Figure Fusion Mace NIB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Shadow Striker Ultra Class 6.25-inch Figure" on EBAY
Buy "G1 Transformers Hook Constructicon  Figure for Devastator Vintage Lot" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Wheelie Asia Exclusive Autobot Deluxe NIP" on EBAY