Friday, March 31st, 2017 6:58pm CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, People News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 24,680

Readers and fans of the IDW Transformers comics have been clamoring to see the return of artist Alex Milne on an official project, and we appear to have our answer. Already hinted at in the interview with Chris Ryall (which you can listen to here), we have confirmation from CBR and WonderCon 2017 that Rom the Space Knight will be facing off against the Transformers in a new series: Shining Armor! John Barber, Christos Gage and Milne and Josh Perez will be joining forces on the crossover, which will focus on new character Stardrive, a Cybertronian Knight of the Solstar order. Read more about it below, and check out our database entry!

Transformers News: IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor Series Thread

At WonderCon, we found out! In July, IDW will launch “Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor” by John Barber, Christos Gage and Alex Milne. The story, set nearly two centuries in the past, will focus on a brand new character named Stardrive who’s not just a Cybertronian, but also a Solstar Knight. She finds herself caught in the middle between her fellow knights — including Rom — and the constantly evil menace of Starscream!

[...]

The series revolves around a Cybertronian Solstar Knight, what can you tell us about Stardrive?

Gage: She’s a great combo character… a Cybertronian infant rescued by Rom from a crashed spaceship. She grew up in the Solstar Order, so she’s never been around her own kind, until the events of our story. She’s very much a fish out of water, not really fitting in anywhere. She has a strong code of honor and a good heart, but they’ll be put to the test.

Barber: The reputation of Cybertronians has permeated every part of the civilized galaxy, so the Solstar Order know they’re bad news. Transformers have a tendency to destroy planets that get in their way — that’s all Stardrive knows about her heritage. She doesn’t fit in with organic life, but all she’s ever heard is how terrible Cybertronians are.

[...]

What was the process like for designing Stardrive with Alex Milne?

Gage: I stayed out of it, not being too familiar with Transformers, and I think he nailed it! She has sweetness and innocence, but also she looks incredibly tough, like when she’s stomping on Dire Wraiths!

Barber: Working closely with the team at Hasbro, Christos and I developed the story and what her personality was. At first, we’d even thought of using an existing Transformers character, but it became clear we were creating somebody new — the experiences she’d gone through and the way she acted didn’t fit right by the time we’d outlined the story. The character was very honest and very optimistic, despite everything. But she’s a Knight, a warrior, and she’s led a hard life. So we threw it over to Alex, who deserves the gold medal for Stardrive.

In collaboration with Hasbro’s creative team, Alex came up with the look, the alt-mode, how the Solstar armor works, and her name. I would have happily gotten involved, but as you might know, Alex really knows Transformers. He’s been drawing them for a really long time, and really gets what makes them tick. And he did a perfect job here. I couldn’t be happier with what he’s done with Stardrive.

[...]

Gage: I will admit that I wasn’t terribly familiar with the Transformers before this, but the more I learned, the more it seemed like a great fit. Besides the obvious — cool metal dudes and dudettes punching each other — there is the intriguing element that many of the Transformers view organic life as somewhat (or completely) inferior. But now along comes Rom, who is a combination of organic and machine life, and also functionally immortal. So where does he stand? It’s the kind of thing that calls your whole belief system into question, which is why it’s so much fun to have a Cybertronian Solstar Knight as the fish out of water who is seeing her own people for the first time.

Barber: My whole run on Transformers has been about the recurring cycles of violence, and throwing another big space empire like the Solstar Order — and the Dire Wraiths — into the mix gives an outside perspective on the Cybertronian war and vice versa. The Solstar Order looks down on the endless war of the Cybertronians, even as they’re just starting to engage in their own endless war. The organic versus mechanical differences sort of fade away when the shooting starts.

Also, I don’t know if this is thematic, but we finally see what happens when a Dire Wraith possesses a Transformer! It’s horrifying!

Transformers News: IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor Series Thread

Transformers News: IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor Series Thread

Transformers News: IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor Series Thread

Credit(s): CBR

Re: New Series - IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor, feat Alex Milne, Josh Perez, new character Stardrive (1870824)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on March 31st, 2017 @ 7:15pm CDT
Hmmm...any chance Stardrive transforms into or merges with the Nemesis?
Re: New Series - IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor, feat Alex Milne, Josh Perez, new character Stardrive (1870832)
Posted by ScottyP on March 31st, 2017 @ 8:11pm CDT
So I guess the Galactic Council are just a-holes to everyone?
Re: New Series - IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor, feat Alex Milne, Josh Perez, new character Stardrive (1870844)
Posted by Kurona on March 31st, 2017 @ 9:25pm CDT

And is that... Delta Magnus? I swear that's Delta Magnus. Or maybe it's good ol' Ultra. But which one? This is like 2 million years ago, so it can't be Minimus, right?

Stardrive looks cute and appealing but also comes with a rather strange Windblade vibe. I dunno, I just look at her and the shape of her head kinda says Windblade to me. Odd.

Kinda hoping I won't have to read ROM to understand this. Otherwise, looking good with some nice potential worldbuilding!
Re: New Series - IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor, feat Alex Milne, Josh Perez, new character Stardrive (1870846)
Posted by Shot Put on March 31st, 2017 @ 9:37pm CDT
Kurona wrote:Pretty excited to see Bumblebee, which is a sentence I never thought I would ever say. Thanks Ghost Stories, you made me actually care about the character shoved into my face any time I even start typing 'Transformers' into my search bar :lol:

It's 2 hundred years ago, not 2 million. Rom isn't that old!

It's more than likely Minimus. Plus Delta has an orange head.
Re: New Series - IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor, feat Alex Milne, Josh Perez, new character Stardrive (1870862)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on March 31st, 2017 @ 11:07pm CDT
Oh ho ho ho YES!

I have been waiting for Milne's full return and this looks pretty awesome! I do love that the 200 years ago part is included in there; a nice series firmly settled in the past, with a new character to boot and it looks awesome.

this has me really excited, more so than Action Man and Kup
Re: New Series - IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor, feat Alex Milne, Josh Perez, new character Stardrive (1870881)
Posted by partholon on April 1st, 2017 @ 3:52am CDT
now this is something i can get behind !

does my head in that 90% of TF crossovers are with GI JOE and the like when its a SCI/FI epic. a much more natural fit would be "the green lantern corp" and the like

a proper ROM crossover is a no brainer and im well on bord for it. be good for the franchise to ta get outside its box and allows us to see more of the anti mechanical prejudice hinted at.

should be fun.

and hey ALEX.

CANT go wrong with milne.

:D
Re: New Series - IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor, feat Alex Milne, Josh Perez, new character Stardrive (1870929)
Posted by MGrotusque on April 1st, 2017 @ 12:50pm CDT
Re: New Series - IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor, feat Alex Milne, Josh Perez, new character Stardrive (1871638)
Posted by ScottyP on April 4th, 2017 @ 10:30am CDT
MGrotusque wrote:I'm excited about this. I've been waiting for ROM to get a good artist. It's important for me that the ROM series gets drawn well. I haven't been incredibly pleased with the comic for that reason but it's ROM, so i still keep buying it.
The art's not been an issue for me, it's the pacing. It looks like business is finally picking up but I feel like they could've gotten there in half the time. I don't mind Darby or Camilla but I wish it was one character now, one later. My guess is that the long term planning doesn't work without what's been done, but it made the focus meander for quite awhile imo.

More Solstar Order is good, that's been the fun stuff in here for me!
Re: New Series - IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor, feat Alex Milne, Josh Perez, new character Stardrive (1881441)
Posted by Kurona on May 13th, 2017 @ 6:40pm CDT
Been writing a bit recently about why Revolution isn't a very good crossover so that's kind of gotten me in the mood to talk about why in contrast, I am extremely excited for this.

1. It's just Transformers and ROM. Rather than shoving all your eggs in a basket that really can't carry that many eggs, this is a much smaller scale thing that should allow for a much more natural flow, greater focus on both parties involved, and less risk of character/plot overflow.

2. It's set in the past. Admittedly I'm going to make a few assumptions here, but this is very important because it means it won't get in the way of the current ongoings. You won't have to stop reading Optimus Prime or ROM to read yet another crossover because that's what's happening now, you won't need to stop reading MASK because this'll have one little thing happen that sets off chain reactions in that book; this isn't happening in modern times so you won't need to buy it in order to continue the story. Ideally (and this is where the assumptions come in) a story set in the past like this will be purely optional and not necessary; it'll give some extra context, maybe help you understand certain plot details and characters more, but at the end of the day the only thing you should need to read it for would be to follow the story of the new character Stardrive. I mean yes, I'm going to read this because I love Transformers and read everything in this continuity no matter what; but it's nice to know that it's something I'm choosing to read and hopefully enjoy rather than something I'm obligated to.

So, yes. While I have no idea if this is actually going to be a decent comic (though by god, I hope it is) my hopes are raised and my barriers lowered because it's a crossover that instead of being a BIG IMPORTANT EVENT YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST READ, it's being set up as a chance to just tell a good story. This is exactly the sort of thing I want to see come out of the expanded universe and part of why I was excited for it - fun, new ideas by the merging of different franchises without getting in the way of each other.
Re: New Series - IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor, feat Alex Milne, Josh Perez, new character Stardrive (1885051)
Posted by william-james88 on May 30th, 2017 @ 12:20am CDT
as seen in solicits

Re: New Series - IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor, feat Alex Milne, Josh Perez, new character Stardrive (1885066)
Posted by Kurona on May 30th, 2017 @ 4:26am CDT
I'm loving how this crossover looks so far. I dearly, dearly hope they don't heck it up.
Re: New Series - IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor, feat Alex Milne, Josh Perez, new character Stardrive (1885185)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on May 30th, 2017 @ 12:43pm CDT
I have faith in this series. If anything, at least it is looking like it will look good visually!
Re: New Series - IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor, feat Alex Milne, Josh Perez, new character Stardrive (1893012)
Posted by Va'al on June 28th, 2017 @ 11:46pm CDT
In other news from Amazon.com pre-orders and IDW Publishing, the first volume of the new series featuring Alex Milne on art, with Christos Gage and John Barber on writing, has also been listed for March 2018! More hints, but nothing more than what we already knew from previous material - check it out.

Rom and the Transformers together in an all-new series revealing their secret shared history... plus a major new character is introduced!

Meet the universe's only Cybertronian Solstar Knight! Hundreds of years ago, Rom discovered Stardrive, the sole survivor of a doomed space probe. Stardrive committed herself to protecting the galaxy from the Dire Wraiths... but when the Decepticon called Starscream makes a deadly deal, Rom and the Transformers are forced into a collision course... with Stardrive caught between two worlds!

Re: New Series - IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor, feat Alex Milne, Josh Perez, new character Stardrive (1895460)
Posted by Va'al on July 10th, 2017 @ 12:32am CDT
Via iTunes, we have the first fully lettered preview for the upcoming new Hasbro Universe crossover event Rom vs Transformers: Shining Armor - with art by Alex Milne, written by John Barber - featuring the first Cybertronian in the Solstar order: Stardrive! Check it out below, and join the discussion in the Energon Pub!

Re: New Series - IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor, feat Alex Milne, Josh Perez, new character Stardrive (1895464)
Posted by Nexus Knight on July 10th, 2017 @ 12:40am CDT
Re: New Series - IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor, feat Alex Milne, Josh Perez, new character Stardrive (1895469)
Posted by primalxconvoy on July 10th, 2017 @ 1:19am CDT
Nexus Knight wrote:Okay, now I want to see a galactic map showing the different space governments in the Hasbro Universe and their relation to each other.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy ... wZXdM=s0-d
Re: New Series - IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor, feat Alex Milne, Josh Perez, new character Stardrive (1895478)
Posted by BumbleDouche on July 10th, 2017 @ 5:14am CDT
primalxconvoy wrote:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy ... wZXdM=s0-d

Where'd that image come from? I don't recall any TF books with a galactic map...
Re: New Series - IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor, feat Alex Milne, Josh Perez, new character Stardrive (1895479)
Posted by primalxconvoy on July 10th, 2017 @ 5:16am CDT
BumbleDouche wrote:
primalxconvoy wrote:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy ... wZXdM=s0-d

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Transformers_Ani ... Almanac_II
Re: New Series - IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor, feat Alex Milne, Josh Perez, new character Stardrive (1895485)
Posted by Kurona on July 10th, 2017 @ 6:41am CDT

So do I. If there's any one thing the Hasbro universe has done right - though imo it's done more than a few things right - it's the fantastic worldbuilding. And already this book is looking to expand on that! :D
Re: New Series - IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor, feat Alex Milne, Josh Perez, new character Stardrive (1895493)
Posted by Randomhero on July 10th, 2017 @ 7:40am CDT
primalxconvoy wrote:
BumbleDouche wrote:
primalxconvoy wrote:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy ... wZXdM=s0-d

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Transformers_Ani ... Almanac_II

That's the animated continuity not the IDW-verse

Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Sky Lynx" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #268 - Call Me 2020
"Call Me 2020"
Posted: Monday, January 18th, 2021

Buy "Hasbro Playskool Transformers Rescue Bots Academy Salvage" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Transformers Rescue Bots  Brushfire and Salvage Recycling" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Flip Racers Car & Rescue Bots Flip Salvage Recycling" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron: Siege Battle Masters Blowpipe" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Iron Factory IF EX-27 Shrike's Feather Streamwing (Slipstream)" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Earthrise Decepticon Airwave Deluxe Class War for Cybertron" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Bumblebee Rescue Guard" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS TITANS RETURN - WINGSPAN & CLOUDRAKER - WALGREENS EXCLUSIVE" on EBAY