Friday, June 5th, 2020 2:38pm CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 45,544

We thank fellow Seibertronian LinaNui for letting us know of new Studio Series listings found by JTPrime17. These confirm two things:
1. The Studio Series line will indeed include toys of characters from the 86 Transformers "G1" movie.
2. They will be side by side with Bayverse toys that will also be continuing to be part of the line.

Here are the listings and links that tell us this. The Grimlock and WHE listing is now available to view online, and we now have another 86 listing for Gnaw, the sharkticon. These two listings have the 86 in their name. Gnaw's UPC is 630509991075. While there was an illustration of G1 Grimlock accompanying the listing, it has since been learnt that it was added to the listing by a third party and not part of the actual listing. But two listings sporting the same 86 monicker further confirms what we gathered with Grimlock's listing is true.

We also have listings for Bayverse characters and those are:

Transformers-hasbro Tra Gen Studio Series Dlx Tf2 Sideswipe

Transformers-hasbro Tra Gen Studio Series Ldr Tf2 Grindr Rav

Transformers-hasbro Tra Gen Studio Series Dlx Tf2 Jolt

And of course another Bayverse Bumblebee toy

Transformers-hasbro Tra Gen Studio Series Dlx Tf2 Bb W/ Sam

Credit(s): Walmart and JTPrime17

This article was last modified on Friday, June 5th, 2020 7:11pm CDT

Re: New Studio Series Listings Confirm 86 TF Movie Characters Coming Along with More Bayverse Toys (2066651)
Posted by ZeroWolf on June 5th, 2020 @ 2:42pm CDT
That picture has been confirmed to have been taken from fan art, so it's not indicative of the final product.
Re: New Studio Series Listings Confirm 86 TF Movie Characters Coming Along with More Bayverse Toys (2066652)
Posted by Un_Chakal on June 5th, 2020 @ 2:47pm CDT
Grindr LOL
Re: New Studio Series Listings Confirm 86 TF Movie Characters Coming Along with More Bayverse Toys (2066653)
Posted by Rtron on June 5th, 2020 @ 2:48pm CDT
Sentinel_Primal wrote:Personally, I hope that this new Bee is just the one they released with a normal, non-battle masked face. Or a Stealth Force version

He'll probably have a non-battlemask face and a remolded chest, as the chest was the only difference in the CGI model between 2007 and ROTF (Because the production Camaro ended up having a different front to the concept car). I mean, think about it, he's SO similar that they're including a Sam minifig to entice you to buy the figure!. That's how little remolding that figure has (and honestly needs), so little that they can include a minifig with a deluxe class.

Thinking about that, Sam will probably share a sprue with the new chest, meaning he'll be cast in yellow plastic. For some reason I find that hilarious. Like, you'll probably be able to make you own Simpsons-Transformers crossovers just by chipping off the paint from his face.

As for getting '86 figures in the line, as much as I like G1, I hate the way it just seems to seep into everything. However, I hope this means they conceive of Studio Series as a long lived line, and the G1 guys are just padding to keep it going, seeing how we're down to only about 40 Bayformers left.
Re: New Studio Series Listings Confirm 86 TF Movie Characters Coming Along with More Bayverse Toys (2066655)
Posted by Quantum Surge on June 5th, 2020 @ 2:51pm CDT
Well, looks like it'll be yet another forced G1 inclusion for a non-G1 line, but as long as they make the selection not take up slots of the main Movie line and also make it a temporary thing for the obligated 35th anniversary, I'll be fine...even if it'd be better for Nostalgiageddon: WFC3.
Re: New Studio Series Listings Confirm 86 TF Movie Characters Coming Along with More Bayverse Toys (2066657)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on June 5th, 2020 @ 2:55pm CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:Unless of course... This is the ground work before the launch of the animated prequel movie :-? So they can point back to this and say "look! Animated movies are fine within Studio Series!"

Hadn't thought of that, but including TF:TM in Studio series could make it a more effective bridge to the next movie in that sense too. So we sort of agree, great!

I first got excited by this news because I assumed it'd mean better original molds for the TF:TM cast, but now I'm worried they might be largely repaints of recent figures. Hasbro's plan from the beginning of War For Cybertron might have been to release those molds with annoying battle damage in hopes of getting us to double-dip for clean, shiny repaints. Siege Springer would be an ideal toy to repaint "clean" for Studio Series '86 as an experiment, and more worthwhile than most of the Netflix repaints, as he wasn't the easiest to find last year. And Gnaw will probably just be a TR repaint, but that's an army builder that would reliably sell to those who couldn't find him and fans who just want more, so they can't really go wrong milking that mold.

And getting back to the Animated Prequel Movie, this could be pushed to a further extreme. Say it ends up including cameos by the Jumpstarters, Perceptor, Misfire, Slugslinger, and Windblade, just as an excuse for Studio Series to reissue their Titans Return toys. While that would feel like a total dick move, especially if no Head-/Target-/Titan-Master gimmicks figure in to the movie, it would be nice for all the fans who couldn't find those toys 3 years ago and don't want to pay $100 on ebay for what should've been easy-to-find mass retail figures.

And there is already sort of a precedent for that in Studio Series: Cogman, a slight redeco of his TLK toy, which was so hard to find that no one really complained about reuse of the mold. I think he was the second SS figure I bought after Stinger.

Now, no one wants Studio Series to get bogged down in reissues, but for the reissues that fans really want, that line could end up being the best place to make some of them happen, filling the gaps between new and improved Bayniverse figures during stretches where they can't help but dwindle a bit.

Maybe I'm in a tiny minority here, but those are what I'd personally be inclined to buy.
Re: New Studio Series Listings Confirm 86 TF Movie Characters Coming Along with More Bayverse Toys (2066658)
Posted by Jtprime17 on June 5th, 2020 @ 2:59pm CDT
I Just want to say the Fan art and product description of Grimlock were not added to the listing by Walmart them selves but was changed by market place seller Collection toys when the listing unlocked.

Since then It looks like Walmart has removed both the image and Description from the mobile app version of the listing. Not sure if they did on the desktop version yet.
Re: New Studio Series Listings Confirm 86 TF Movie Characters Coming Along with More Bayverse Toys (2066659)
Posted by william-james88 on June 5th, 2020 @ 3:03pm CDT
Jtprime17 wrote:Not sure if they did on the desktop version yet.

They did not, it's the source I used for the article.
Re: New Studio Series Listings Confirm 86 TF Movie Characters Coming Along with More Bayverse Toys (2066660)
Posted by Roadbuster on June 5th, 2020 @ 3:03pm CDT
I have a thought on the Studio series 86 Movie TFs. It's possible this could be a way around the WFC line to bring those bots/cons in they otherwise can't fit into that line

So instead of including the Dinobots, Wheelie, Wreck-Gar, Blaster, Perceptor, Earth mode Ultra Magnus, etc in the WFC line, they'll being them in through the Studio Series.
Re: New Studio Series Listings Confirm 86 TF Movie Characters Coming Along with More Bayverse Toys (2066661)
Posted by ZeroWolf on June 5th, 2020 @ 3:09pm CDT
Re: New Studio Series Listings Confirm 86 TF Movie Characters Coming Along with More Bayverse Toys (2066662)
Posted by william-james88 on June 5th, 2020 @ 3:20pm CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:Is there really a demand for an earth mode Magnus? All that's different is the very front of the cab. Robot mode isn't affected at all.

It's a way to have the character on the shelves for people who didn't get him the first time. Like with the seekers, Megatron, Arcee, Optimus, the Datsuns ect. I know I wont be getting half of earthrise because I already nought those characters last year.
Re: New Studio Series Listings Confirm 86 TF Movie Characters Coming Along with More Bayverse Toys (2066664)
Posted by ZeroWolf on June 5th, 2020 @ 3:25pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:

But doesn't that mean we're doomed to the endless recycling of characters? After all new fans can join in at any time and will want these characters, won't it get to a point that all improvements are non-existent? You can only invent the wheel once as they say.
Re: New Studio Series Listings Confirm 86 TF Movie Characters Coming Along with More Bayverse Toys (2066665)
Posted by Nemesis Primal on June 5th, 2020 @ 3:26pm CDT
Bumblevivisector wrote:I first got excited by this news because I assumed it'd mean better original molds for the TF:TM cast, but now I'm worried they might be largely repaints of recent figures.

...I'm gonna say I don't buy into this theory and you probably don't have to worry about repaints that much, as I think it's unlikely and I see two fallacies in your logic behind it. The first of which:
Bumblevivisector wrote:And Gnaw will probably just be a TR repaint, but that's an army builder that would reliably sell to those who couldn't find him and fans who just want more, so they can't really go wrong milking that mold.

Considering this Gnaw listing is a Deluxe, and Gnaw was just in the 2019 fan poll for a Deluxe Decepticon release, I severely doubt they would reissue the Legends Class TR figure at a higher price point than it's original release and instead assume this is just their way of using the Deluxe Gnaw mold they had planned for the fan vote release, similar to how we still got Siege Spinister despite him losing the poll.

Second thing:
Bumblevivisector wrote:And there is already sort of a precedent for that [reissues] in Studio Series: Cogman, a slight redeco of his TLK toy, which was so hard to find that no one really complained about reuse of the mold.

If that was the only TLK mold that got reused in Studio Series, that logic would maybe make sense, but the Nitro Zeus mold also got reused twice for separate characters (even though KSI Boss is basically just premium Nitro Zeus), and the Berserker mold got retooled for the Dreads, so I think it is much less based on Cogman having been rare and more that Hasbro wanted to get their money's worth from the TLK molds and thought they were of the same quality as the SS stuff, and they wanted the characters present as part of the line but making new molds for those characters would have been a waste anyway.

Also, there is no Leader Class G1 Grimlock that already exists for that listing to be a reissue of.
Re: New Studio Series Listings Confirm 86 TF Movie Characters Coming Along with More Bayverse Toys (2066666)
Posted by ZeroWolf on June 5th, 2020 @ 3:29pm CDT
Re: New Studio Series Listings Confirm 86 TF Movie Characters Coming Along with More Bayverse Toys (2066667)
Posted by Nemesis Primal on June 5th, 2020 @ 3:41pm CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:I think the idea was that this was leader Class aoe Grimlock in G1 colours, so that's the reissue talk.

Pretty sure that with the confirmation of Gnaw, that ship has sailed.
Re: New Studio Series Listings Confirm 86 TF Movie Characters Coming Along with More Bayverse Toys (2066668)
Posted by Shuttershock on June 5th, 2020 @ 3:46pm CDT
Aaand Grindor repaint finally lumbers out.

Still waiting on SS Hatchet. Aside from BB Soundwave and maybe some Blitzwing Seeker reprints, he’s about all I’m still looking forward to.
Re: New Studio Series Listings Confirm 86 TF Movie Characters Coming Along with More Bayverse Toys (2066669)
Posted by MeGrimlock78 on June 5th, 2020 @ 3:48pm CDT
Part of me hopes these are reissues of existing molds, so I won't feel obligated to pick up another Grimlock.

On the other hand, I hope these are new molds, so I can pick up an awesome new Grimlock.

Though it probably is the new Gnaw, a deluxe price point could be two legion class Gnaws (like the Arcee's), and leader Grimlock could be PotP Grimlock with a legion Wheelie packaged in there...
Re: New Studio Series Listings Confirm 86 TF Movie Characters Coming Along with More Bayverse Toys (2066670)
Posted by Mindmaster on June 5th, 2020 @ 3:52pm CDT
I’ll take me a Jolt, but only thing going for Grindor is that he comes with Ravage. Grindor is bigger than Blackout and is a slightly different helicopter so if he’s just a redeco of Blackout, I’ll pass and just hunt down the HFTD Legends Ravage or something. I’ll take a RotF Sideswipe too, since I like that look more than I do the DotM convertible one.

If G1 is truly invading Studio Series, there better be a sweetass Galvatron that’s actually good and not a reuse of TR Galvatron. Otherwise, ugh.
Re: New Studio Series Listings Confirm 86 TF Movie Characters Coming Along with More Bayverse Toys (2066671)
Posted by ZeroWolf on June 5th, 2020 @ 3:53pm CDT
Nemesis Primal wrote:

Pretty sure that with the confirmation of Gnaw, that ship has sailed.

Oh I know, but I was just explaining the reissue comment :)
Re: New Studio Series Listings Confirm 86 TF Movie Characters Coming Along with More Bayverse Toys (2066677)
Posted by DeadCaL on June 5th, 2020 @ 4:42pm CDT
The image has been ripped from a T Shirt design. I bought it originally from Ript Apparel

Re: New Studio Series Listings Confirm 86 TF Movie Characters Coming Along with More Bayverse Toys (2066678)
Posted by william-james88 on June 5th, 2020 @ 4:53pm CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:
william-james88 wrote:

You say that but we've had a leader optimus prime every year in the past 4 years, along with other primes in cyberverse and studio series.
Plus about reinventing the wheel, I am surprised to see that every single cyberberse Grimlock transforms differently (4 of them now). I know not really related but I wanted to share since I find that pretty impressive.

AllNewSuperRobot wrote:So would a SS line for The Movie cast mean only four Dinobots... :P

Haha, did you see the thumbnail I chose for the Grimlock news story?

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #254 - Redlining Sixth
"Redlining Sixth"
Posted: Sunday, July 5th, 2020

Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers Unite Warriors UW07 BRUTICUS New MISB USA Seller" on EBAY
Buy "Toys Qt-15 Hound Suzuki Hustler Q Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "2017 Hasbro TRANSFORMERS Titans Return TRYPTICON w Fulltilt NEW  sealed" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Hasbro Angry Birds Telepods Grey Slam Grimlock Bird Figure New MISB" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Titans Return Deluxe Class Quake & Hardhead" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers - Bumblebee: Cyberverse Adventures  Class Grimlock NEW FREE SHIPPIN" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers BotBots Critically Complained" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers - Bumblebee: Cyberverse Adventures - Deluxe Class Grimlock" on EBAY