New Transformers: Drift Paperback in the works

New Transformers: Drift Paperback in the works

Sunday, March 7th, 2010 10:12pm CST

Categories: Comic Book News, Toy News
Posted by: Blurrz   Views: 33,935

Every Transformers era has had a posterboy, and with all the limelight comes more products featuring that special Transformer. While the movieverse has focused on Bumblebee, over the years IDW's current take on our favourite transforming robots has focused on a Transformer known as Drift. As reported in previous Transformers conventions and finalized in Toy Fair 2010, Drift will be getting his own toy.

Now a new listing has recently popped up on Amazon.com, signalling that Drift will get a 104 page paperback in his name. Whether this is brand new content or a recollection of old works is yet to be determined. Check out the listing here and the description below.

What was it that caused one of the Decepticon's most ruthless soldiers to turn his back on the Decepticon army and what is the ancient secret that lies hidden deep within an alien planet? All this and more as the origin of the newest Autobot, Drift, is finally revealed!

Keep it at Seibertron.com for the fastest Transformers news on the net!

Credit(s): Amazon

This article was last modified on Sunday, March 7th, 2010 10:16pm CST

Re: New Transformers: Drift Paperback in the works (1052706)
Posted by Mkall on March 7th, 2010 @ 10:54pm CST
This, I might just have to read. This also cements in my head that Drift will be the new Hot Shot-type character in terms of overuse in Hasbro media, and will most likely have a cartoon character.
Re: New Transformers: Drift Paperback in the works (1052709)
Posted by Abraxsis on March 7th, 2010 @ 11:26pm CST
I just don't get the fascination with Drift. Are the IDW that huge and well known that it warrants a toy and novel based on it?

Before the toy was revealed I'd never heard of Drift as I don't read the IDW books. Plus I really don't think the figure is that awesome, so I just don't see what the big deal about Drift is.
Re: New Transformers: Drift Paperback in the works (1052719)
Posted by Dead Metal on March 8th, 2010 @ 12:29am CST
Why?
The fuck are they so obsessed with Drift? Seriously idw gave us Nova Prime, badass undead Galvatron and transsexual Arcee, why not focus on the interesting characters instead of made of fail Drift?
Re: New Transformers: Drift Paperback in the works (1052727)
Posted by Mechastrike on March 8th, 2010 @ 1:49am CST
the box says he's an Autobot... so where is his insignia on his car and robot mode?

btw, i'm starting to like this toy because of the sword storage.
Re: New Transformers: Drift Paperback in the works (1052754)
Posted by dragons on March 8th, 2010 @ 7:33am CST
well only reason i like drift is hes the only transfromer that i wouldnt mind getting that only uses swords as weapons, ive seen seom other transfromers use hand weapons swords, axes but but they all carr guns with them drift fights more like ninja assasin from what i read about him never seen him use gun in his spotlight just his swords.

[/quote]Why?
The **** are they so obsessed with Drift? Seriously idw gave us Nova Prime, badass undead Galvatron and transsexual Arcee, why not focus on the interesting characters instead of made of fail Drift?[/quote]

i for one would like to see nova prime be made by hasbro or takara i doubt they do it if we where to ask to them but thats a prime to see how hasbro take on that figure
Re: New Transformers: Drift Paperback in the works (1052758)
Posted by Darth Bombshell on March 8th, 2010 @ 7:46am CST
Dead Metal wrote:Why?

Because that would be smart. And when it comes to Transformers, no one seems to be capable of doing anything smart lately.
Re: New Transformers: Drift Paperback in the works (1052805)
Posted by kirbenvost on March 8th, 2010 @ 10:18am CST
I don't really have a problem with Drift. Even though his backstory is pretty cliche-ridden, I still think it's cool. If this is a new comic miniseries I'm definitely interested. If it's an actual novel...I'll just read the synopsis on the TF Wiki. :P
Re: New Transformers: Drift Paperback in the works (1052830)
Posted by Chaoslock on March 8th, 2010 @ 12:09pm CST
kirbenvost wrote:I don't really have a problem with Drift. Even though his backstory is pretty cliche-ridden, I still think it's cool.

Seconded... At first I hated him, but he wasn't as much overused by IDW as could have been, and the toy actually looks bada**.

Well, I may buy this...

(Damn, what one year of quality-less addiction does to me...)
Re: New Transformers: Drift Paperback in the works (1052837)
Posted by JediJerseyJoe on March 8th, 2010 @ 12:32pm CST
Ok, look.

heres why I love drift

1) He is a completely new character with an unknown backstory, that is thrown in with the rest of the wrecker bunch... awesome!

2) He was a decpticon, that switched sides and became an autobot... awesome!

3) He is a BAMF, ninja style kick ass machine who uses huge anime style swords... awesome!

4) I absolutely LOVE his color scheme, and alt mode. His name plays to his colors. Drifting was invented in japan, and his colors are of the Japanese flag, as well as the fact that he essentially uses a 3x samurai sword set... awesome!

5) he is "recon" and fast as shit, just like blur. I see a mutual respect between the two of them and I love the was IDW developed his integration into the wreckers.

he reminds me of a jedi, and I just like the character.. lol
Re: New Transformers: Drift Paperback in the works (1052864)
Posted by Windsweeper on March 8th, 2010 @ 1:51pm CST
I've never taken to the IDW comics like I did Marvel and Dreamwave but I have to admit I do like Drift.

But then I always did have a soft spot for characters looking for redemption.

Shame he's not a Basic because I hate Deluxe cars. They look out of place with the Diaclones and Classic jets.

Anywho, I'm hoping this is new Drift fiction or at least collects his stories so I can finally read All Hail Megatron in it's entirety.

But yes, more Drift! Though the OTHER interesting characters would be nice too. Arcee, Nova Prime Jazz (loved him in AHM)and Prowl (love the Nick Roche story) NOT Springer, Kup and Bumblebee.
Re: New Transformers: Drift Paperback in the works (1052883)
Posted by Jetstorm92210 on March 8th, 2010 @ 3:02pm CST
I like Drift, he seems to be a fresh new idea, however, I don't like him being in the I am Optimus Prime story book, that was a bad move from IDW's part. (#$%& He doesn't even have a robot hero... yet. Nor Ratchet.)
Re: New Transformers: Drift Paperback in the works (1052888)
Posted by Anonymous on March 8th, 2010 @ 3:10pm CST
I for one am a fan of Drift. The reason that I like him is that he is a former Decepticon turned Autobot. Which, dispite belief to the contrary is rather unique in the G1 universe. I say that because Jetfire/Skyfire doesn't count because he at first didn't know what he was getting into (much like Silverbolt in Beast Wars), and anyone else like that are more double agents than changing sides. Drift is repentant from his time with the Decepticons, much like Dinobot (though that wasn't Imediate but that's another story). I think that most of the people that don't like him feel that way BECAUSE he is new (aka it changed now it sucks). I will admit the swords are a little cliche but who doesn't like a good cliche character once in a while.
Re: New Transformers: Drift Paperback in the works (1052894)
Posted by Stormer on March 8th, 2010 @ 3:34pm CST
Here's what I like about Drift other than the fact he's bad ass - immagine the possibilities of his background story, which may include a mysterious third faction. I think this story line has a lot of potential to open up the whole TF Universe in a different direction. Every once in a while I like a good veering off from the same ol' over used path.
I'm all about a good story - don't dissapoint me!
Re: New Transformers: Drift Paperback in the works (1052922)
Posted by SlyTF1 on March 8th, 2010 @ 4:58pm CST
Dead Metal wrote:Why?

I dont even know who the hell Drift is! And, Undead Galvatrons!? :???: Trans Arcees!? :shock: WTF have I been missing!?
Re: New Transformers: Drift Paperback in the works (1052960)
Posted by mechabooks on March 8th, 2010 @ 6:42pm CST
I'm excited about Drift being another headlining character. I don't get the obsession with Bumblebee that other people have.
Re: New Transformers: Drift Paperback in the works (1052965)
Posted by Badassimus Prime on March 8th, 2010 @ 6:49pm CST
Re: New Transformers: Drift Paperback in the works (1053002)
Posted by Mkall on March 8th, 2010 @ 9:07pm CST
SlyTF1 wrote:
Dead Metal wrote:Why?

Some of, IMO at least, the best TF storytelling in a long while; at least up until All Hail Megatron, then it's a bit of a crapshoot

AutobotJazz87 wrote:Well this is a surprise; there are some people who actually appreciate the character. I must say It's refreshing to read other than the usual ignorant flack such as "I hate Drift...why does he get attention?...Marty Sue...blah!" Anywho, I'll look forward to this paperback. ;)

Anyone that hates Drift had better hate Snake Eyes too, because they're basically the same concept, just a different backstory and one talks.
Re: New Transformers: Drift Paperback in the works (1053009)
Posted by Loki God Of Mischief on March 8th, 2010 @ 9:33pm CST
Mkall wrote:

Snake Eyes wasn't just created in the last year or two and retconned into the classic G.I. Joe universe. He's also actually been to Japan. Drift is a giant weeaboo ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL who would be some DeviantArt kid's OC if he weren't made canon.
Re: New Transformers: Drift Paperback in the works (1053037)
Posted by Mechabreaker on March 8th, 2010 @ 11:58pm CST
IDW just doesn't get that the one thing fans hate is a stupid, self-inserted Mary-Sue fan character who has a cliche anime character personality and an equally cliche back story.
Re: New Transformers: Drift Paperback in the works (1053056)
Posted by Dead Metal on March 9th, 2010 @ 1:03am CST
SlyTF1 wrote:
Dead Metal wrote:Why?

The times idw was was awesome and brilliant instead of just mediocre.

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 20 Costanza Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Crashbash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Ultra Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "Hasbro Transformers: Bumblebee Cyberverse Adventures - Repugnus Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Studio Series KSI Boss Age of Extinction" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers AOE Studio Series 43 Voyager Class KSI Boss" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers DOTM Studio Series 03 Deluxe Crowbar" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots MORBOT Race Car Grey Purple" on EBAY
Buy "NEW Transformers Dark of the Moon DOTM Lot - JOLT- CRANKCASE" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Selects Deluxe WFC-GS21 Decepticon Sandstorm" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Galactic Odyssey Biosfera Autobot Clones MISB" on EBAY