Transformers News: New Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Concept Art from Ken Christiansen: Optimus Prime, Silverbolt

Tuesday, December 12th, 2017 1:03PM CST

Category: Toy News
Posted by: Bronzewolf   Views: 12,429

We saw some concepts from Combiner Wars a couple of weeks ago, from artist Marcelo Matere, featuring Bruticus in all his glory. We now have some additional pieces of Combiner Wars concept art this time from Ken Christiansen! His works would end up being the box art for the leader of the Aerialbots, Silverbolt, and leader of the Autobot, Optimus Prime! While they might have gotten cut off on the box, he has posted the full shots over on his Facebook page. Take a look at the concepts down below, included with his Facebook captions, and then tell us what you think down in the Energon Pub forums!

Transformers News: Re: Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Discussion Thread
I did the character pencils for this Silverbolt packaging art!

Which showed almost nothing of the full figure art on the box...which was one of my favorites of the batch, Silverbolt with his feet on the ground, mustering up the courage to blast off and join the fight!

Transformers News: Re: Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Discussion Thread
I did the character pencils for this Combiner Wars Voyager Optimus Prime packaging art!

Only the head and shoulders appeared on the front of the box, so here's the full figure.

©Hasbro, Inc. 2017
Credit(s): Ken Christiansen
Re: New Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Concept Art from Ken Christiansen: Optimus Prime, Silverbolt (1926310)
Posted by Randomhero on December 12th, 2017 @ 3:17pm CST
Re: New Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Concept Art from Ken Christiansen: Optimus Prime, Silverbolt (1926312)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 12th, 2017 @ 3:30pm CST
Randomhero wrote:Ken Christianses! There’s a name I haven’t heard for almost ten years! Did spotlight Wheelie and nothing! I wish he’d do more work for IDW
Huh? Image

Re: New Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Concept Art from Ken Christiansen: Optimus Prime, Silverbolt (1926314)
Posted by o.supreme on December 12th, 2017 @ 3:33pm CST
Ken/Klaus....they both start with K's ;)
Re: New Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Concept Art from Ken Christiansen: Optimus Prime, Silverbolt (1926323)
Posted by Emerje on December 12th, 2017 @ 4:22pm CST
His art is nice, though he seems to have a little trouble with guns. Silverbolt's gun has an awkward black blob under it because he forgot where the handle was supposed to go. Prime's right handed gun is at a weird angle from his arm.

Emerje
Re: New Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Concept Art from Ken Christiansen: Optimus Prime, Silverbolt (1926456)
Posted by Randomhero on December 13th, 2017 @ 1:16pm CST
Whoops! :lol:

I don’t know how but I got them mixed up for whatever reason. Probably because their bot faces are similar.
Re: New Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Concept Art from Ken Christiansen: Optimus Prime, Silverbolt (1926723)
Posted by WreckerJack on December 14th, 2017 @ 6:35pm CST
Marcelo Matere has done a lot of great artwork for the Transformers Combiner Wars series. Just last month we got to see a piece he did of Bruticus. Today we have to share with you a look at the line art of Victorion. This image was colored and featured on the box art and mini-poster included with the Victorion set.

The image mirrored below depicts Victorion in her combined form and the vehicles that make up her combiner team. Pyra Magna, Dust up, Jumpstream, Stormclash and Skyburst are all in vehicular mode. (We wonder where Rust Dust drove off to.) Here is what the artist had said about some of the design process that went into this piece -

Victorion - Combiner Wars Package art Pencils. 2015 - Full Poster.I had to draw all elements separately, them the designers could arrange them to the Horizontal Package and the Vertical Poster!

Re: New Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Concept Art from Ken Christiansen: Optimus Prime, Silverbolt (1926724)
Posted by TrypticonCarne on December 14th, 2017 @ 6:43pm CST
explains why rustdust looks like a last minute addition
Re: New Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Concept Art from Ken Christiansen: Optimus Prime, Silverbolt (1926768)
Posted by WreckerJack on December 14th, 2017 @ 10:56pm CST
GrandGalvatronG1 wrote:explains why rustdust looks like a last minute addition

I also noticed that Victorion in the line art does not have Rust Dust on her chest, but on the finished poster she has an armor plate that kinda looks like her. Either way I am really glad they included her, she is a really fun transformer and really finishes off how Victorion looks in robot mode.

I think my love of small transformers is because of Rust Dust. I never bought any on my own before I got the Victorion set. I had assumed that bigger bots meant better articulation and stuck with deluxe/warrior on up. Now I am the proud owner of several other really fun small transformers.
Re: New Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Concept Art from Ken Christiansen: Optimus Prime, Silverbolt (1927158)
Posted by Va'al on December 18th, 2017 @ 3:49am CST
As a continuation of a previous post showing off the packaging art for Transformers Combiner Wars figures, we have a couple more from Ken Christiansen - who already shared Voyagers Optimus Prime and Silverbolt here - featuring two more Aerialbots: Sky Dive and newcomer to the team, but not to our hearts, Alpha Bravo!

This is the official pencil art that was used for the packaging, meaning that there are several more layers to the image applied by the studio that creates the final artwork - but it's always fascinating to get a look at the process involved in the creation of any type of artwork for the franchise, nonetheless. Take a look at the two deluxes from the very first wave of Combiner Wars below.

Re: New Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Concept Art from Ken Christiansen: Optimus Prime, Silverbolt (1927165)
Posted by Randomhero on December 18th, 2017 @ 8:05am CST
Oh Alpha Bravo...he certainly sits in the shelf with everyone else. Luckily with Elita and Inferno coming out he’ll finally become part of a Combiner team. Rook too.
Re: New Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Concept Art from Ken Christiansen: Optimus Prime, Silverbolt (1927176)
Posted by gothsaurus on December 18th, 2017 @ 9:30am CST
Agreed. I think Alpha Bravo (and Rook, etc.) got a bad rap when they got subbed for characters we loved and expected. In hindsight — after we've gotten those missing characters — I LOVE that Hasbro managed to squeeze in some new blood. We haven't gotten a lot of new characters in past years.

And now that we have finally found homes for those limbs — and some combiner names and stories from Hasbro, Botcon and TFCC — I'm a lot more excited to have those guys attached to Modulus, Galvatronus, or Wreckage.
Re: New Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Concept Art from Ken Christiansen: Optimus Prime, Silverbolt (1929270)
Posted by william-james88 on January 2nd, 2018 @ 2:32pm CST
As a continuation to our previous posts showing the original line art for the packaging of Transformers Combiner Wars figures, we now have images of the entire Stunticon team from Ken Christiansen, a friend to the site. Below you will see Motormaster, Breakdown, Offroad, Dead End and Dragstrip.

This is the official pencil art that was used for the packaging, meaning that there are several more layers to the image applied by the studio that creates the final artwork, which Ken also added after each of the pencil drawings. It is really cool to see that Ken used only elements found within the toys and while the packaging artwork cropped a lot of the images, we can now see his full pencils.

Re: New Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Concept Art from Ken Christiansen: Optimus Prime, Silverbolt (1929274)
Posted by gothsaurus on January 2nd, 2018 @ 2:38pm CST
Re: New Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Concept Art from Ken Christiansen: Optimus Prime, Silverbolt (1929276)
Posted by o.supreme on January 2nd, 2018 @ 2:42pm CST
Nice Artwork. Oh and I enjoy the extra bots as I've stated many times. Alpha Bravo, Rook, & Smokescreen (or the Hasbro exclusives as I refer to them since they were not released by TT), make up my Optimus Maximus along with Power Core Optimus and SG Starscream.
Re: New Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Concept Art from Ken Christiansen: Optimus Prime, Silverbolt (1929281)
Posted by gothsaurus on January 2nd, 2018 @ 2:51pm CST
Nice pairing up white SG Screamer with PC Optimus. Nice idea O.Supreme.

I'd love to see a thread devoted to everyone's fan gestalt. Curious to see how people have paired them up... and how the colors and characters match together. Could have some ground rules that a name and short bio have to be provided with photos (?)
Re: New Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Concept Art from Ken Christiansen: Optimus Prime, Silverbolt (1929283)
Posted by o.supreme on January 2nd, 2018 @ 3:00pm CST
Thank you. ;)^ I wish I could say I was being creative, but it was just fortunate that 4 of the 5 leftover components had a dominant white color. If I wanted I could swap out Smokescreen for UW Ratchet on him, then the White would be perfectly united, but I like keeping my UW teams as released.

My Decepticon combiner unfortunately is not so palatable to the eyes but... Grand Scourge has CW Blastoff and Vortex as his arms, and for the legs -Off Road & BC 2016 Terrorsaur.
Re: New Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Concept Art from Ken Christiansen: Optimus Prime, Silverbolt (1929288)
Posted by gothsaurus on January 2nd, 2018 @ 3:15pm CST
Sounds like we're in the same boat. Been wondering where to put ole Terrasaur myself.

Maybe with the upcoming odd-man-out bots like Jazz, Darkwing, Dreadwind, Wreck Gar and (mystery color) Blast Off... maybe we will have some more options for our fan combiners. Of course with Inferno, we have another puzzle altogether. (ha)

Still planning my own customs to finish out Magnaboss. The sticker set was a nice idea, but didn't quite scratch the proverbial itch.

That all reminds me, still waiting on that G2 Protectobot set, Hasbro! ;-)
Re: New Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Concept Art from Ken Christiansen: Optimus Prime, Silverbolt (1929363)
Posted by Rainmaker on January 3rd, 2018 @ 5:24am CST
This art looks amazing. Too bad all of Titans Returns artwork looks the same besides the Legends.

:MAXIMAL:
Re: New Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Concept Art from Ken Christiansen: Optimus Prime, Silverbolt (1929393)
Posted by Deathsanras on January 3rd, 2018 @ 9:31am CST
See? It is possible to do non-Dreamwave-hand-grabby-reachy character art.
By simply doing anything else.
Re: New Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Concept Art from Ken Christiansen: Optimus Prime, Silverbolt (1929578)
Posted by Ultra Markus on January 3rd, 2018 @ 7:25pm CST
gothsaurus wrote:I'd really love to see a book put together of all this art. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

like the genesis art of transformers book that came out years ago which we were supposed to get a volume 2
but never happened :(
51GUKVta2yL._SX394_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

maybe somebody will make another book with more current stuff ;)^

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #213 - How to Say Expensive and Mean It
"How to Say Expensive and Mean It"
Posted: Sunday, December 9th, 2018

Buy "Transformers Prime ARCEE First 1st Edition 2 in 1 Vehicle to Robot 2011 NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Brand new and sealed Hasbro Transformers Prime First Edition Cliffjumper" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers prime first edition arcee" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime Robots in Disguise RID Autobot Sergeant Kup MOSC New Sealed" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Dark of The Moon Cyberverse Starscream" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime First Edition Deluxe Starscream MOSC New Sealed Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime RID Robots in Disguise Deluxe Knock Out Knockout Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Brawl Flip Shot Bot Shots Action Figure G1 Transformers 2012" on EBAY