News On i-Gear's Mini MP Optimus Prime Knock-offs

News On i-Gear's Mini MP Optimus Prime Knock-offs

Tuesday, July 20th, 2010 2:44am CDT

Categories: Toy News, Collectables, Knock Offs, Unlicensed Products News
Posted by: Dead Metal   Views: 64,656

Unofficial product creator i-Gear's limited edition Silver and Gold PP01 toys are now in-stock and will start shipping within the next 3-4 days.
Click here for the PP01 Gold, and here for the PP01 Silver.

Stay tuned to seibertron.com for all your Transformers related news!

Credit(s): Optimus Rigas, i-Gear

This article was last modified on Tuesday, July 20th, 2010 7:10pm CDT

Re: News On i-Gear's Mini MP Optimus Prime Knock-offs (1100562)
Posted by craggy on July 20th, 2010 @ 5:08am CDT
from the prices, I'm guessing it's real silver and gold used on these? :P

still, the silver one would make a nice RTOOP toy.
Re: News On i-Gear's Mini MP Optimus Prime Knock-offs (1100711)
Posted by JRFitzpatrick7 on July 20th, 2010 @ 11:41am CDT
craggy wrote:from the prices, I'm guessing it's real silver and gold used on these? :P

still, the silver one would make a nice RTOOP toy.

more than likely, they used Electrum and heat-and-radiation-resistant alloy. Please see "The Golden Lagoon" an "The Return of Optimus Prime, Part 2".
Re: News On i-Gear's Mini MP Optimus Prime Knock-offs (1100768)
Posted by Blurrz on July 20th, 2010 @ 1:38pm CDT
Re: News On i-Gear's Mini MP Optimus Prime Knock-offs (1100833)
Posted by Botswanky on July 20th, 2010 @ 5:25pm CDT
Blurrz wrote:I wouldn't touch these with a ten-foot pole. I'd just buy the real Masterpiece Prime for cheaper and paint it gold or silver myself.

As a long time model builder (15yrs approx), I can assure you there's no way to achieve this exact finish on your own. I'm sure they'll make for a real nice display piece, Golden Lagoon Optimus... mmmm. =P~ :BOT:
Re: News On i-Gear's Mini MP Optimus Prime Knock-offs (1100870)
Posted by Blurrz on July 20th, 2010 @ 6:37pm CDT
Optimus Rigas wrote:

As a long time painter, I'll agree to an extent.. but I'd still not get these, cause I know I could do better.
Re: News On i-Gear's Mini MP Optimus Prime Knock-offs (1101194)
Posted by craggy on July 21st, 2010 @ 2:52pm CDT
JRFitzpatrick7 wrote:

still, the silver one would make a nice RTOOP toy.

I always forget Golden Lagoon. Or, rather, I forget anyone but Beachcomber being in it.
Re: News On i-Gear's Mini MP Optimus Prime Knock-offs (1104700)
Posted by Convotron on July 28th, 2010 @ 6:17am CDT
Optimus Rigas wrote:

No way? I don't know about that. I've seen chrome quality finish from Spaz Stix Mirror Chrome paint products.
Re: News On i-Gear's Mini MP Optimus Prime Knock-offs (1104722)
Posted by Botswanky on July 28th, 2010 @ 7:10am CDT
Re: News On i-Gear's Mini MP Optimus Prime Knock-offs (1104733)
Posted by Convotron on July 28th, 2010 @ 7:34am CDT
Optimus Rigas wrote:It's one thing to know of a particular product/products. But it's not going to be a walk in the park trying to chrome a transformers action figure with an aerosol can, or airbrush for that matter. Good luck trying to get it right the first time, if ever.

Walk in the park? I don't recall difficulty of application ever being in this discussion. I was simply refuting the claim that such a finish can't be achieved on one's own.

As far as luck, none is needed, as evidenced by the successful results of those who've used the product. A simple web image search will show numerous results of Mirror Chrome from various people. This isn't magic in a can where results come about by happenstance. After all, the product does include instructions for usage.
Re: News On i-Gear's Mini MP Optimus Prime Knock-offs (1104750)
Posted by Botswanky on July 28th, 2010 @ 7:54am CDT
My angle on this matter is that an actual chrome plated finish is always going to be superior to a sprayed on finish. Fourteen years in the autobody business, with hands on experience using some of the latest & greatest paint tinters from a variety of suppliers has taught me a thing or two. But yes of course, if your willing to put the work in, a good result can be achieved with a rattle can etc. :BOT:
Re: News On i-Gear's Mini MP Optimus Prime Knock-offs (1104765)
Posted by Convotron on July 28th, 2010 @ 8:11am CDT
Chrome plating is certainly better than sprayed on paint but it isn't a practical option for the average person who doesn't have access to the equipment necessary for the process of chrome plating or have access to a business that is willing to chrome toy components. That's why something like commercial chrome paint such as Mirror Chrome is a more practical option for Blurrz's suggestion to buy a real MP OP figure for less money and painting it himself.

As long as one follows the proper method for using something like Mirror Chrome, the results should be very good. It's no different than speaking of painting a model kit. If one simply applies paint onto resin or plastic that hasn't been properly cleaned and primed for painting, the paint won't properly adhere and then what was initially a great looking display piece will become a mess when paint begins to peel.
Re: News On i-Gear's Mini MP Optimus Prime Knock-offs (1104771)
Posted by Botswanky on July 28th, 2010 @ 8:29am CDT
Yes very well put, for these reasons the i-Gear gold chrome/chrome Optimus is worth the asking price. If you indeed want a proper chrome finish Optimus bad enough. :BOT:

Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Legends Class Thundercracker Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #284 - Welcome to 2010
"Welcome to 2010"
Posted: Sunday, September 12th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Fansproject X-2 Quadruple U Weird Wolf Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Fansproject Chromedome Function X-1 Code Complete" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS G1 HEADMASTER Chromedome Walmart Exclusive Retro Action Figure NEW!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Fall of Cybertron FOC Bruticus!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Voyager Brainstorm Hasbro " on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Studio Series CHROMIA+ARCEE+ELITA-1 ROTF Movie 52 New Deluxe Unop" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G1 Headmaster BRAINSTORM Walmart Exclusive Retro Action Figure NEW!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers WHEELIE Figure ONLY Studio Series 86 Generations no slingshot read" on EBAY