Next G1 KO to be Gnaw

Next G1 KO to be Gnaw

Tuesday, November 20th, 2007 11:22am CST

Categories: Toy News, Knock Offs
Posted by: Hotrod   Views: 39,281

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

As of late, there have been a number of G1 knock offs being produced. It appears that the latest G1 KO to be produced will be G1 Gnaw. Our own Lapse Of Reason has posted a link to an ebay auction that gives us the first look at the KO.

Credit(s): Lapse Of Reason, and ebay seller doufaceb


This article was last modified on Friday, November 23rd, 2007 12:19am CST

News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: Next G1 KO to be Gnaw (468068)
Posted by Hotrod on November 20th, 2007 @ 11:28am CST
Front paged and credited! Wow it seems like forever since I have said that :P
Re: Next G1 KO to be Gnaw (468073)
Posted by Archanubis on November 20th, 2007 @ 11:33am CST
Cute looking little bugger.
Re: Next G1 KO to be Gnaw (468115)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on November 20th, 2007 @ 12:22pm CST
I always wanted one of these. But i doubt ill even be able to get a KO version.
Re: Next G1 KO to be Gnaw (468132)
Posted by Wheeljack35 on November 20th, 2007 @ 12:34pm CST
I never had one of these
Re: Next G1 KO to be Gnaw (468238)
Posted by Down_Shift on November 20th, 2007 @ 2:20pm CST
Gnaw was cool enough to warrent this. I'd stamp this with my seal of approval if I had one.
Re: Next G1 KO to be Gnaw (468244)
Posted by Wes Crayon on November 20th, 2007 @ 2:22pm CST
trilobitepictures wrote:So... recording 20 seconds of a movie is wrong and the young girl who did it should be bound, gagged, sent to prison, book thrown at her, and throw away the key. Because bootlegging is wrong.

But it's okay to endorse a knock-off toy made by a company as a direct attempt to cash in on the ideas and reputation of another company and gather profit from said ideas and reputation? And people should be encouraged to purchase said unauthorized item because bootlegging is good?

I'm... confused.

Anyway, that Sharkticon looks kinda neat, but that is WAY too pricey. I'd rather just buy some toothy Bionicle figures and pretend they work for the Quintessons. :P
Re: Next G1 KO to be Gnaw (468260)
Posted by Gauntlet101010 on November 20th, 2007 @ 2:32pm CST
Wes Crayon wrote:
trilobitepictures wrote:So... recording 20 seconds of a movie is wrong and the young girl who did it should be bound, gagged, sent to prison, book thrown at her, and throw away the key. Because bootlegging is wrong.

But it's okay to endorse a knock-off toy made by a company as a direct attempt to cash in on the ideas and reputation of another company and gather profit from said ideas and reputation? And people should be encouraged to purchase said unauthorized item because bootlegging is good?

I'm... confused.

Anyway, that Sharkticon looks kinda neat, but that is WAY too pricey. I'd rather just buy some toothy Bionicle figures and pretend they work for the Quintessons. :P

He's talking about recent action against a yong woman who recorded the TF movie and the posotive sentiment in regards to these toys.

HasTak would probably care a great deal about both, but the wave of pirates is nigh impossible for them to stop. I don't doubt that they're trying tho.

I, personally, don't care about recoding a few minutes from a movie OR these bootleggs.
Re: Next G1 KO to be Gnaw (468327)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on November 20th, 2007 @ 3:26pm CST
trilobitepictures wrote:So... recording 20 seconds of a movie is wrong and the young girl who did it should be bound, gagged, sent to prison, book thrown at her, and throw away the key. Because bootlegging is wrong.

But it's okay to endorse a knock-off toy made by a company as a direct attempt to cash in on the ideas and reputation of another company and gather profit from said ideas and reputation? And people should be encouraged to purchase said unauthorized item because bootlegging is good?


You do know that old G1 molds can be bought by toy companies. A lot of the G1 KOs that are around now are from molds that were bought from tarkara or hasbro. There are some that are made by cloning molds or making there own molds but some are legit. Pluse this dosent hurt the original toy companies. This mold isnt in use any more so hasbro/tarkara loses no money off of this. Now if this were for a KO of movie Optimus then yeah its wrong. The only thing wrong about this auction is the price.
Re: Next G1 KO to be Gnaw (468400)
Posted by Lapse Of Reason on November 20th, 2007 @ 4:13pm CST
Yeah, the price of $85 is more than a vintage, loose complete figure in good condition.

Also, please note that photo is of an actual G1 figure. The seller does not have a photo of the KO yet.
Re: Next G1 KO to be Gnaw (468503)
Posted by Wes Crayon on November 20th, 2007 @ 5:39pm CST
trilobitepictures wrote:I just needed clarification about where people stood, seeing that everyone wanted to all but lynch some un-named kid for bootlegging on her cell phone, yet squeal like schoolgirls when a bootleg toy is put out... where is the line drawn and what shade of grey is on either side? Is bootlegging okay or not? Bootleg and get lynched, or bootleg and get praised?

Was there a thread about this elsewhere that I missed? I certainly wouldn't want to lynch anyone for copying Bayformers on her cell phone... unless, of course, I were lynching her for her decision to copy such an utterly atrocious film in the first place. :P
Re: Next G1 KO to be Gnaw (468545)
Posted by devzilla on November 20th, 2007 @ 6:18pm CST
Yikes. Won't they be disappointed when it turns up in Big Lots for five bucks.
Re: Next G1 KO to be Gnaw (468565)
Posted by Burn on November 20th, 2007 @ 6:41pm CST
Megatron_Wolf wrote:You do know that old G1 molds can be bought by toy companies. A lot of the G1 KOs that are around now are from molds that were bought from tarkara or hasbro. There are some that are made by cloning molds or making there own molds but some are legit. Pluse this dosent hurt the original toy companies. This mold isnt in use any more so hasbro/tarkara loses no money off of this. Now if this were for a KO of movie Optimus then yeah its wrong. The only thing wrong about this auction is the price.


I think you'll find they didn't buy the molds, they simply bought the factories where the molds were held.

It was a screw up by Hasbro/Takara to allow those molds to be left with the factory and fall into the hands of these bootleggers.

Which way you look at it however, the companies producing these KO's have NOT paid a licensing fee for the "Transformers" name.

So yes, Hasbro/Takara ARE losing money to these things because they are marketed as "Transformers", a copyright which is owned by Hasbro/Takara and to which they are receiving no royalties for.
Re: Next G1 KO to be Gnaw (468573)
Posted by Wes Crayon on November 20th, 2007 @ 7:00pm CST
trilobitepictures wrote:
Wes Crayon wrote:unless, of course, I were lynching her for her decision to copy such an utterly atrocious film in the first place. :P

HA! Wouldn't her punishment be to have to watch it again?

Good one! Some fates are worse than death.

devzilla wrote:Yikes. Won't they be disappointed when it turns up in Big Lots for five bucks.

I've never seen any of the high quality KOs in Big Lots before -- from what I've heard, these G1 KOs are about on par with the originals in terms of quality. They're often even made with die cast parts.
Re: Next G1 KO to be Gnaw (468576)
Posted by Super Megatron on November 20th, 2007 @ 7:04pm CST
Didn't Cobra Commander once planned to wreck the world economy by injecting millions of KO toys into the world market?

IT'S STARTING!!!
Re: Next G1 KO to be Gnaw (468832)
Posted by Patrick Bateman on November 21st, 2007 @ 2:32am CST
Sweet. I´ll finally get a sharkticon army.
Re: Next G1 KO to be Gnaw (469059)
Posted by Seibertron on November 21st, 2007 @ 9:46am CST
Wes Crayon wrote:
trilobitepictures wrote:
Wes Crayon wrote:unless, of course, I were lynching her for her decision to copy such an utterly atrocious film in the first place. :P

HA! Wouldn't her punishment be to have to watch it again?

Good one! Some fates are worse than death.

devzilla wrote:Yikes. Won't they be disappointed when it turns up in Big Lots for five bucks.

I've never seen any of the high quality KOs in Big Lots before -- from what I've heard, these G1 KOs are about on par with the originals in terms of quality. They're often even made with die cast parts.


PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING TEXT!!!

While it's true that the knock offs are being made from one of the original factories that made G1 toys (if you guys haven't heard the supposed story, I'll be happy to share it with you straight from one of the guys in the knock off world's mouth), the "knock offs" are not on par with the originals. Most noticeable from what I've seen and heard are that the plastics used are a cheaper quality than the original and the stickers are not up to par with the originals. Often the stickers aren't cut properly or the inks smear or come off or the labels won't stick altogether. I'm sure other people can attest to some problems with these knock offs ... but they are most definitely not on par with the originals.
Re: Next G1 KO to be Gnaw (469068)
Posted by Seibertron on November 21st, 2007 @ 9:59am CST
trilobitepictures wrote:
Megatron_Wolf wrote:
trilobitepictures wrote:So... recording 20 seconds of a movie is wrong and the young girl who did it should be bound, gagged, sent to prison, book thrown at her, and throw away the key. Because bootlegging is wrong.

But it's okay to endorse a knock-off toy made by a company as a direct attempt to cash in on the ideas and reputation of another company and gather profit from said ideas and reputation? And people should be encouraged to purchase said unauthorized item because bootlegging is good?


You do know that old G1 molds can be bought by toy companies. A lot of the G1 KOs that are around now are from molds that were bought from tarkara or hasbro. There are some that are made by cloning molds or making there own molds but some are legit. Pluse this dosent hurt the original toy companies. This mold isnt in use any more so hasbro/tarkara loses no money off of this. Now if this were for a KO of movie Optimus then yeah its wrong. The only thing wrong about this auction is the price.


Shockwave (Astro Magnum from ToyCo), Omega Supreme (MechaBot 1 from ToyBox), Roadbuster ("VV-54 AR Mugen Calibur" from the Japanese anime series Dorvack) , the Deluxe Insecticons (Armored Insect Force Beetras from Bandai), blah blah blah. Yes... I know. Transformers were such a success that Hasbro wanted to get as much product out on the shelves with the Transformers name on it as possible. Since they were running out of old Takara molds to use, they obtained licenses to use the molds of other companies' robot toys in the Transformers line.

I personally don't give a crap about either recording a movie (in part or as a whole) or copying a toy... I will happily do both. Hollywood is WAY overpaid and I'd rather save my money for creative ideas that genuinely deserve it... and if a toy sees shelf time again because it's a copy of something that hasn't seen sunlight in 20 years, then great. Hell, I own more than my share of bootleg toys because there just was no other way to get them.

Bootlegging can, sometimes, be a good thing. It built up excitement for BATTLESTAR GALACTICA in the US because bootleg DVDs of the series were coming in from the UK, for example. It was ENCOURAGED by the Japanese film studio, Daiei, in order to build a case to distributors stateside that their then-new Gamera movies were popular and had an audience in North America.

I just needed clarification about where people stood, seeing that everyone wanted to all but lynch some un-named kid for bootlegging on her cell phone, yet squeal like schoolgirls when a bootleg toy is put out... where is the line drawn and what shade of grey is on either side? Is bootlegging okay or not? Bootleg and get lynched, or bootleg and get praised?


In my opinion, both are wrong. The companies that spent their resources to create the products you mentioned are entitled to money ... plain and simple. There's fair use and then there's simply stealing someone else's physical or intellectual property or properties. I don't have a problem with someone doing screen captures or posting a few clips of a video because those things can't replace the actual full length video in question. Same with things like Reprolabels (or repro parts). Those are not things that we can purchase separately from buying vintage toys ... and they do not replace the original toy in question.

I am still baffled that Hasbro and Takara can't figure out a way to stop the production of these "knock off" G1 Transformers from an old factory that one of them used to use back in the day. The biggest problem that I have is that this factory/company is using pretty much identical packaging (minus a few details as well as the quality) which makes it difficult to know an original from one of these new knock offs. I'm glad I've finished my collection because I know everything I own is original. It really bothers me thinking about some new naive fan getting duped into buying one of these knock offs because they thought they were getting a good deal on an original.

I could go on but I won't at this time. Bottom line is ... I don't like that this is happening. None of us know what deals Hasbro or Takara made with those factories back then so this might very well all be legit, but considering the nature of the overall "bootleg" market from China, I somehow doubt this. I imagine the whole situation is shrouded in so much red tape that a legal battle waged from Hasbro or Takara against the factory/company or multiple factories/companies just isn't worth it to them.

What bothers me more than anything is that we won't see any high grade reissues of some of these figures because the molds are in the hands of this company that is wrongfully using the Transformers brand.
Re: Next G1 KO to be Gnaw (470312)
Posted by cyber jam on November 22nd, 2007 @ 7:15am CST
i really want it i looks really cool
Re: Next G1 KO to be Gnaw (470403)
Posted by Lapse Of Reason on November 22nd, 2007 @ 9:22am CST
trilobitepictures wrote:
Since you'd rather not see people get duped my inferior product, then by all means, place it as toy news. Fine. Dandy. I'm 100% with you on that. If someone chooses to add it to their collection, they should not do it under the pretense of having an original. But if you don't endorse the idea of bootlegging toys, then might I suggest... here's a nutty idea... not posting (or ALLOWING someone to post) a direct link to the auction and, by extension, to the person selling it.


I disagree with your suggestion. Sticking one's head in the sand does not make one smarter.

If we constantly chip away at what we are and are not allowed to talk about on a public forum, then eventually all we will be able to do is sit around and hum.



I am saddened by the influx of KOs onto the TF market for all the reasons Seibertron mentioned. I can't say it any better than he did, so I just add my agreement with what he said.
Re: Next G1 KO to be Gnaw (473517)
Posted by Kalon on November 24th, 2007 @ 2:04pm CST
Lapse Of Reason wrote:
trilobitepictures wrote:
Since you'd rather not see people get duped my inferior product, then by all means, place it as toy news. Fine. Dandy. I'm 100% with you on that. If someone chooses to add it to their collection, they should not do it under the pretense of having an original. But if you don't endorse the idea of bootlegging toys, then might I suggest... here's a nutty idea... not posting (or ALLOWING someone to post) a direct link to the auction and, by extension, to the person selling it.


I disagree with your suggestion. Sticking one's head in the sand does not make one smarter.

If we constantly chip away at what we are and are not allowed to talk about on a public forum, then eventually all we will be able to do is sit around and hum.



I am saddened by the influx of KOs onto the TF market for all the reasons Seibertron mentioned. I can't say it any better than he did, so I just add my agreement with what he said.


Your statement is indeed a laspe of reason. Read it. Not once does he say what you think he does. Actually read a post man, where does he say that?

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Battleslash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Cutthroat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Terrorcon Hun-Gurrr" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Repugnus, Dastard, and Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Apeface" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Deluxe Titans Return Autobots Throttle and Breakaway Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Potato Head Transformers Mixable Mashable Heroes as Optimus Prime and Grimlock Figures" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #268 - Call Me 2020
Twincast / Podcast #268:
"Call Me 2020"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, January 18th, 2021

New Items on eBay

Buy "TRANSFORMERS OPTIMUS PRIME WESTERN STAR 5700 XE TRUCK ? BARRICADE JADA DIECAST" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers: Age Of Extinction- Hammer Strike Snarl" on EBAY
Buy "KBB Transformers GT-05 Optimus Prime MP-10 G1 Pocket Size Combat commander-12cm" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Transformers Mr Potato Head Bumble Spud Collectible Children’s Toy" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Dinobot Slog Voyager Class Age of Extinction Hasbro NEW SEALED" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Combiner Force Dragstrip Wildbreak Dragbreak" on EBAY
Buy "IRONHIDE TRANSFORMERS DARK OF THE MOON MECHTECH WEAPON SYSTEM LEADER CLASS" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Revenge of The Fallen Bumble Spud Mr. Potato Head" on EBAY