No Transformers Movie at IMAX for Sydney Australia

No Transformers Movie at IMAX for Sydney Australia

Monday, September 24th, 2007 12:21am CDT

Categories: Movie Related News, Digital Media News
Posted by: i_amtrunks   Views: 12,000

Bad news for those in Australia hoping that Melbourne would not be the only place getting the Transformers Movie on the IMAX screen.

I received an email from Paul Travis, the Operations Manager of IMAX Sydney, confirming that they will not be showing it.

We have decided not to screen Transformers as we did not feel that a film that had already been released in main stream cinema was the correct business decision for the Sydney Theatre.

We are looking forward to our next feature film release, Beowulf, in November.

Regards,

PAUL TRAVIS
Operations Manager
LG IMAX Theatre Sydney

So Melbourne, the city of AFL and Trams seems to be the only place to see Transformers on the IMAX Screen. To see the session times for the Melbourne screenings, check out the IMAX Melbourne Site

Credit(s): Paul Travis

Re: No Transformers Movie at IMAX for Sydney Australia (359695)
Posted by Air Commander Starscream on September 24th, 2007 @ 12:29am CDT
Ohh thats not right...
Re: No Transformers Movie at IMAX for Sydney Australia (359701)
Posted by i_amtrunks on September 24th, 2007 @ 12:35am CDT
Air Commander Starscream wrote:Ohh thats not right...

I know, we are good enough for APEC, but not good enough for giant robots fighting??? :-x
Re: No Transformers Movie at IMAX for Sydney Australia (359721)
Posted by Bartrim on September 24th, 2007 @ 12:54am CDT
Damn them!!!!

and if thats not bad enough they (Melbournians) will next weekend try and take our football trophy.

They just think they can have everything.
Re: No Transformers Movie at IMAX for Sydney Australia (359732)
Posted by Burn on September 24th, 2007 @ 1:03am CDT
i_amtrunks wrote:
Air Commander Starscream wrote:Ohh thats not right...

Just proves my theory that you lot should be locked up. :WHISTLE:

P.S. GO STORM! 8)
Re: No Transformers Movie at IMAX for Sydney Australia (359742)
Posted by i_amtrunks on September 24th, 2007 @ 1:24am CDT
Burn wrote:
i_amtrunks wrote:
Air Commander Starscream wrote:Ohh thats not right...

Just proves my theory that you lot should be locked up. :WHISTLE:

They effectively did lock us up.. just outside of the CBD, but we did get a paid day off for it.

Burn wrote:P.S. GO STORM! 8)

Hey Burn, you should know about the rules of League;
1: Support your team, and whoever Manly are playing!!!
2: Queensland never give up in Origin
3: Pick the opposite teams to Peter Sterling.
I'm a Queensland supporter, so I wanted a Melbourne vs. North Queensland Final, since Melbourne is all Redcliffe and Norths Juniors! 8)
Re: No Transformers Movie at IMAX for Sydney Australia (359761)
Posted by Burn on September 24th, 2007 @ 1:42am CDT
Melbourne is anything but Redcliffe and Norths Juniors. Billy Slater most certaintly didn't get come from anywhere down south. :wink:
Re: No Transformers Movie at IMAX for Sydney Australia (359848)
Posted by shockwave_inoz on September 24th, 2007 @ 3:56am CDT
I'm a Melbournian and proud of it! Go to hell, Sydney!! HA!!! Sorry, Megatron made me say that. But really, I'll be thinking of you guys as I watch the movie (again) in Ultra Magnus Wide-Screen. (Would you believe this Sydney - Melbourne rivalry dates way back to 1854?? Loooong story...)
Re: No Transformers Movie at IMAX for Sydney Australia (360163)
Posted by Zeds on September 24th, 2007 @ 9:28am CDT
That blows for you Wallabies! I must admit though that the theatre was sooooooooooooooooooooo empty. It honestly had an echo. At most 20 people when it could easily seat 500+. The movie was 10 times better on IMAX though. The extra scenes did not make it for me but the better sound allowed me to hear some more of the dialogue that was missed watching it on a regular screen. Getting old I guess. Hearing not as good.
Re: No Transformers Movie at IMAX for Sydney Australia (360270)
Posted by trailbreaker on September 24th, 2007 @ 10:37am CDT
My IMAX in Austin is not showing it either....
Re: No Transformers Movie at IMAX for Sydney Australia (360342)
Posted by Zeds on September 24th, 2007 @ 11:13am CDT
trailbreaker wrote:My IMAX in Austin is not showing it either....

Surprising. There are 3 IMAXes showing it around Toronto and its suburbs. Our GTA population though is 5 million +.
Re: No Transformers Movie at IMAX for Sydney Australia (360584)
Posted by shockticus on September 24th, 2007 @ 1:42pm CDT
Sigh...so sad...My Austrailian friends can't see the movie in IMAX...THAT'S AUSTRAILIANISM!
Re: No Transformers Movie at IMAX for Sydney Australia (361771)
Posted by Norcinu on September 25th, 2007 @ 5:00am CDT
*Dies*
Re: No Transformers Movie at IMAX for Sydney Australia (362419)
Posted by Moonbase2 on September 25th, 2007 @ 1:53pm CDT
Do you guys only have like one IMAX in your whole damn country? I've been to one in Chattanooga, TN, for gods sake! That's close to some serious redneck territory, too.
Re: No Transformers Movie at IMAX for Sydney Australia (362583)
Posted by Burn on September 25th, 2007 @ 3:31pm CDT
Moonbase2 wrote:Do you guys only have like one IMAX in your whole damn country?

Three actually.
Re: No Transformers Movie at IMAX for Sydney Australia (362939)
Posted by i_amtrunks on September 25th, 2007 @ 6:29pm CDT
Burn wrote:
Moonbase2 wrote:Do you guys only have like one IMAX in your whole damn country?

Three actually.

I think it's 4... Dreamworld on the Gold Coast has one too (although I think it's a normal screen that shows the IMAX films...)
Re: No Transformers Movie at IMAX for Sydney Australia (362982)
Posted by Moonbase2 on September 25th, 2007 @ 6:53pm CDT
i_amtrunks wrote:
Burn wrote:
Moonbase2 wrote:Do you guys only have like one IMAX in your whole damn country?

Three actually.

Wow...that's kind of sad. Considering your population I'd think there'd be more. I mean, most of you live in the cities or suburbs, right? But then again, we Americans like everything supersized: our food, our coffee, and our tv (and movie) screens.
Re: No Transformers Movie at IMAX for Sydney Australia (363277)
Posted by i_amtrunks on September 25th, 2007 @ 9:38pm CDT

The IMAX screens are usually used for documentaries and the like.

And I think there are 5 IMAX screens, Katoomba has what was the 2nd largest screen in Australia before IMAX Melbourne opened up. (But it is not owned by IMAX)
Re: No Transformers Movie at IMAX for Sydney Australia (363302)
Posted by Bartrim on September 25th, 2007 @ 9:58pm CDT
i_amtrunks wrote:
1: Support your team, and whoever Manly are playing!!!

I always though it was support your team, and whoever Manly or the Bulldogs are playing... and if they are playing each other then pray for a giant asteroid to fall on the stadium. 8)

I am so conflicted over the grand final. Do I cheer for the trophy to go interstate or do I cheer for (shudders) Manly :???:
Re: No Transformers Movie at IMAX for Sydney Australia (363310)
Posted by Moonbase2 on September 25th, 2007 @ 10:06pm CDT
i_amtrunks wrote:We have plenty of Commercial (and arty) Cinemas that deal with the everyday films and international films.

The IMAX screens are usually used for documentaries and the like.

We also watch documentaries (like about the sea and stuff) on IMAX. I think I've seen the ocean one, the Grand Canyon one (like 12 or 13 years ago), something called L5 First City in Space (which was 3D) and Mount Everest. But the IMAX in Nashville also shows movies, such as Harry Potter. I don't know if it's showing Transformers.

Edit: It sure is! It's open now. I wanna see it now.
Re: No Transformers Movie at IMAX for Sydney Australia (363311)
Posted by i_amtrunks on September 25th, 2007 @ 10:08pm CDT
The majority of the Storm are Queenslanders (Yes Burn, I know Slater is from your Town), so even for NSW supporters, the trophy going to them has to beat the undeserving Jamie Lyon getting his unclean hands all over the trophy!

And I'd be ecstatic if a meteorite took out The Bulldogs and Manly!

Back on track, did anyone venture out to see Transformers at the Drive-ins? there are 2 left in NSW, how many left elsewhere?

(I didnt bother because the screen at Blacktown Drive-in is terrible, and they also have the largest Multiplex Screen in Australia a few clicks down the road!)

Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #278 - The Return of Rodimus Prime
"The Return of Rodimus Prime"
Posted: Sunday, June 13th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Netflix Chromia" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Hardhead - Headmasters Retro Generations Titans Deluxe Hasbro WFC" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Mirage - Netflix War For Cybertron Generations Titans Decepticon TK" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Trilogy HOTLINK Netflix Walmart Exclusive NEW MIB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Legends LG52 MISSFIRE & Targetmaster Aimless Titans Return Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers WFC Netflix HOTLINK Seeker Used Complete w/Box + Instructions" on EBAY
Buy "LG21 Hardhead | Japanese Transformers Legends" on EBAY