NYCC 2015 - Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Details

Friday, October 9th, 2015 8:20am CDT

Categories: Cartoon News, Comic Book News, Event News, Digital Media News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 67,487

During the Hasbro panel at NYCC2015, of which you can see our gallery here, Machinima and IDW took the stage to give some further detail on the upcoming animated series for Combiner Wars. The biggest selling point for the Seibertron.com team is that it will be a Japanese anime-style series, with a focus more on the adult side of the fan base. No artwork or trailers were shown in slightest, and we expect all of the missing information to be revealed at the next Toy Fair. In the meantime, check it out embedded below!

Some highlights:

• Main speaker is Eric Calderon, producer on Aeon Flux and Afro Samurai among others; he underwent 'Transformers boot camp' to understand the franchise.
  • Windblade will be the main character/perspective, as was for the comics
  • Not really a children's cartoon, something not really attempted previously
  • Trying to appeal to new and old fans alike
  • The series will be standalone, using previous fiction as sources rather than basis
  • 'Combiners have to fight each other'
  • IDW editor John Barber talks briefly about Titan Returns, and the re-emergence of Sentinel Prime from the IDW continuity
  • Barber, James Roberts and Mairghread Scott will be on writing duties again, creating one overarching story
  • Full updates and news in the IDW panel

This article was last modified on Friday, October 9th, 2015 8:23am CDT

Re: NYCC 2015 - Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Details (1732900)
Posted by griftimus prime on October 9th, 2015 @ 8:43am CDT
Windblade will be the main character/perspective, as was for the comics

im out
Re: NYCC 2015 - Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Details (1732908)
Posted by Autobot N on October 9th, 2015 @ 9:06am CDT
Well, I was never a huge fan of Windblade, but if this series gives me Combiners fighting all Pacific Rim-style, then I'm in.
Re: NYCC 2015 - Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Details (1732911)
Posted by o.supreme on October 9th, 2015 @ 9:23am CDT
They had me at " Japanese anime-style series". Since this story will not involve any humans (hopefully if it is loosely based on IDW combiner wars), then the style should be *hopefully* closer to Toei, who I consider to be the pinnacle of animation when it comes to Super Robots/Mecha, and not so much the goofier looking anime, or even worse, U.S. companies trying to mimic anime, studio 6C being the exception however, they have produced some pretty awesome stuff.
Re: NYCC 2015 - Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Details (1732936)
Posted by MagnusLabel on October 9th, 2015 @ 10:23am CDT
Re: NYCC 2015 - Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Details (1732938)
Posted by Sabrblade on October 9th, 2015 @ 10:38am CDT
MagnusLabel wrote:Um...they're really working hard to make Windblade become the star of The Transformers, like hanging 'round with titans, combiners, leaders, beasties, etc. Someday (maybe within a year or 2), she can climb to the top and become the face of the entire franchise.
Re: NYCC 2015 - Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Details (1732940)
Posted by o.supreme on October 9th, 2015 @ 10:43am CDT

Re: NYCC 2015 - Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Details (1732943)
Posted by Noideaforaname on October 9th, 2015 @ 10:48am CDT
So apart from starring Windblade, still no real info yet?
Re: NYCC 2015 - Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Details (1732946)
Posted by Va'al on October 9th, 2015 @ 10:55am CDT
Noideaforaname wrote:So apart from starring Windblade, still no real info yet?

Nup. We will have to wait for more from other panels, or Toy Fair and various releases.
Re: NYCC 2015 - Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Details (1732949)
Posted by Black Hat on October 9th, 2015 @ 10:59am CDT
I wonder what Japanese studio they're using?

please be Trigger please be Trigger please be Trigger
Re: NYCC 2015 - Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Details (1732952)
Posted by Sabrblade on October 9th, 2015 @ 11:02am CDT
Delta Magnus wrote:I wonder what Japanese studio they're using?

please be Trigger please be Trigger please be Trigger
Re: NYCC 2015 - Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Details (1732955)
Posted by o.supreme on October 9th, 2015 @ 11:13am CDT
Delta Magnus wrote:please be Trigger please be Trigger please be Trigger

Remember these are robots, not humans. You want a studio that has a reputation for doing Robot/Mecha themed anime well. as far as I can see, Trigger has never done one.

Sabrblade wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if it was Polygon considering Hasbro Studios's present relationship with them in their making both the Prime and RID 2015 cartoons.

This seems more likely, but I'd love to something new in the mix, as long as it was highly detailed, and not "overly styled" like some of the animated series in recent years
Re: NYCC 2015 - Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Details (1732959)
Posted by ZeroWolf on October 9th, 2015 @ 11:23am CDT
This sounds like it could be fun. Though I'm more interested in what IDW have planned and how they plan to resurrect Sentinel Prime
Re: NYCC 2015 - Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Details (1732969)
Posted by Black Hat on October 9th, 2015 @ 11:46am CDT
o.supreme wrote:
Delta Magnus wrote:please be Trigger please be Trigger please be Trigger

True, but they are made of ex-Gainax members, specifically guys like Hiroyuki Imaishi, AKA the mastermind behind Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Plus their animation style is simply gorgeous, with hyper-fluid movement one moment and deliberately silly cut-out animation the next, ridiculously expressive characters and shading up the wazoo.

Trigger should animate everything.
Re: NYCC 2015 - Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Details (1732977)
Posted by karyuudo on October 9th, 2015 @ 11:57am CDT
Thanks for posting the video. It's a shame that they didn't have any preview to show the fans. But from what was discussed this sounds very promising. I'm not sure what's with the Windblade hate in some of the comments. She's a great character and it'll be an interesting perspective to have a series without the main focus being on Optimus.
Re: NYCC 2015 - Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Details (1732979)
Posted by o.supreme on October 9th, 2015 @ 12:00pm CDT

I think every Transformers fan should watch GaoGaiGar, or at least one Brave Series. Sunrise (of Gundam fame) beautifully animated them, and these series (which held Takara over between G1 Transformers and when Beast Wars came to Japan from 1990-1997)I consider the closest cousins to Transfermers series that a non-TF series could be, if that makes any sense... ;)
Re: NYCC 2015 - Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Details (1732986)
Posted by ZeroWolf on October 9th, 2015 @ 12:17pm CDT
o.supreme wrote:I know everyone has their own opinions, but personally the Mecha designs of shows like TTGL & Diebuster are just awful. I guess I'm just a 90's & Prior type person. Now to Gainax' credit, the original Gunbuster was a thing of beauty, and Casshan: Robot Hunter was amazing. But most animation studios like to be "progressive", thus we don't see those beautifully rendered anime series and films anymore. The designs of films like the Rebuild Eva series are pretty good, but of course, I know the story from the original anime, and prefer not to relive that again.

My avatar wishes to say it loves you :P to be fair though TTGL mech designs harden back to the early days of the super robot genre like Gaiking, Grendizer and the daddy, Mazinger Z. I think most studios will be able able to handle this well (okay I really want UFOtable, but that's cause after watching Fate/Zero, I think they do beautiful work)
Re: NYCC 2015 - Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Details (1732988)
Posted by o.supreme on October 9th, 2015 @ 12:25pm CDT
You are welcome, I do love The Brave series. ;) But I grew up with Mazinger Z (well called Tranzor Z here in the States), but The original Super Robots series that Go Nagai & Toei came out with in the 70's are my absolute favorites, as "grandparents" to The Transformers, they all hold a special place in my DVD collection. But again, I guess its just me, when I look at stuff like Mazinger Z, then I look at TTGL, I don't see any similarities.

But call my Optimistic. No matter who ends up with this project, If the bots look good, then I'll be into it.
Re: NYCC 2015 - Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Details (1732992)
Posted by MagnusLabel on October 9th, 2015 @ 12:39pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:As long as the live action movies exist, she'll never usurp that position from Bumblebee. >:oP

Not so sure about the movies esp. after the 5th movie, I mean, we're not even sure what the creators will do to from the 5th movie onwards, including their plans about Bee (not to mention Bee wasn't focused much in AoE comparing to DOTM).

What I know is Bee's screen-time should be less than Windblade's. Both will star in RID on 2016 but Bee may not be able to appear in this animated series as it's based on IDW comics which Bee was dead way before Combiner Wars, unless there will be a flashback or something (which I doubt as the chance is as small as his further cameos in Rescue Bots). And Windblade is certainly coming back to IDW on 2016. That’s why I really do believe that she is able to go to the position.

o.supreme wrote:No just typical Hasbro. They did it with Drift, now they are doing it with Windblade. -Put *said* character in Every Comic, Animated Series, Movie & Toys possible.*

When Drift was started out as a homeless nobody and creator’s pet (in IDW where he first appeared), Windblade was started as a fan favorite and set to have drawn with a lot of influences from the history of Transformers (Caminus, cityspeakers, etc. in IDW, being sent by Primus in RID). The creators do know how to insert Windblade into different medias which people love to see her, where Drift is still having problems about that (unless being penned by JR). To me Windblade is properly the more successful version of Drift.

I love the arts from Brave Series (esp. Brave Police, GaoGaiGar). But since Sunrise is now owned by Bandai, we’re unlikely to see an TF series animated by Sunrise. Btw, I wonder if the new TF series is animated in 2D entirely or 3D with cel shading, as I miss the 2d TF anime.
Re: NYCC 2015 - Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Details (1733015)
Posted by ZeroWolf on October 9th, 2015 @ 1:45pm CDT
I don't think it's solely going off IDW though as I'm sure it was said somewhere that it would be it's own thing and use the comics and the toy bios as a source
Re: NYCC 2015 - Machinima Transformers Combiner Wars Details (1746861)
Posted by 1984forever on December 9th, 2015 @ 3:29pm CST
:lol: heard that these guys are JUST NOW starting work on Combiner Wars. First Hasbro drops the ball by not having a Devastation toy line tie-in, now this. Their marketing team should all be fired.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #259 - Podcast Convoy
"Podcast Convoy"
Posted: Sunday, September 13th, 2020

Buy "Spinister Sealed figure Transformers Siege War For Cybertron Trilogy Hasbro RARE" on EBAY
Buy "??? NIB TRANSFORMERS TAKARA TOYS SIEGE WAR FOR CYBERTRON SPINISTER WFC-S48 ???" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege SPINISTER Complete 2020 War For Cybertron Trilogy" on EBAY
Buy "Cliffjumper Autobot Allspark Power Deluxe Movie 2007 Hasbro Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "Vintage Transformers Board Game Defeat the Decepticons Adventure Optimus Prime" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Armada Mini-Con Adventure Team NEW Ransack Dune Runner Iceberg" on EBAY
Buy "NETFLIX War for Cybertron Transformers Generations Scrapface Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 65 Bumblebee Movie Voyager Class Blitzwing  NIB" on EBAY