Oberphones Presents "Hommage à Skywarp"

Oberphones Presents  "Hommage à Skywarp"

Thursday, December 4th, 2008 9:13am CST

Categories: Collectables, Store News
Posted by: First Gen   Views: 29,737

Design writer Christopher Wilson has just sent us information on a unique piece of art that's now available. This new work is a tribute to one of the original Transformers seekers, Skywarp.

{L_IMAGE}

{L_IMAGE}

Hommage à Skywarp is a new poster-broadsheet designed and published by Oberphones in tribute to Skywarp, one of the first Transformers issued by Hasbro in 1984. The homage takes the form of an A4-format broadsheet which folds out into an A2-format (420 x 594 mm) poster. The broadsheet (plane form) side includes a series of four specially-written texts by design writer Christopher Wilson, exploring the cultural background of his purchase of Skywarp in early 1985 and the state of department store culture at the time; Skywarp's standing among his rivals in the Transformers range; and finally an anecdote of Skywarp's 'tech spec' characteristics. The poster (robot form) side comprises a graphic portrait of the Decepticon, based on the silhouette of the 1984 box illustration, and incorporating new photographs of the original model.

Hommage à Skywarp is now available for purchase at a low cost of £10.00 with free postage and handling for shipping within the UK. Check out the original listing for this art piece here.

Credit(s): Christopher Wilson

This article was last modified on Thursday, December 4th, 2008 9:22am CST

Re: Oberphones Presents "Hommage à Skywarp" (844999)
Posted by Tekka on December 4th, 2008 @ 9:30am CST
As much as I love Skywarp, this is a bit "meh". =/
Re: Oberphones Presents "Hommage à Skywarp" (845005)
Posted by SJ21 on December 4th, 2008 @ 9:45am CST
That is an odd thing to have up for sale. I can't say I fully understand the reasoning behind that. Odd.
Re: Oberphones Presents "Hommage à Skywarp" (845016)
Posted by Psychout on December 4th, 2008 @ 10:13am CST
Weird Seeker fanboys are Weird
Re: Oberphones Presents "Hommage à Skywarp" (845018)
Posted by Editor on December 4th, 2008 @ 10:18am CST
It's a wierd piece, but it's cool in an artsy way.
Re: Oberphones Presents "Hommage à Skywarp" (845112)
Posted by Starscream on December 4th, 2008 @ 1:30pm CST
Don't be fooled just because this is Transformers related - This is complete @#$!@#%!

EDIT: By Staff for inappropriate language.
Re: Oberphones Presents "Hommage à Skywarp" (845116)
Posted by Dead Metal on December 4th, 2008 @ 1:34pm CST
Starscream wrote:Don't be fooled just because this is Transformers related - This is complete bullshit!

Re: Oberphones Presents "Hommage à Skywarp" (845120)
Posted by Tekka on December 4th, 2008 @ 1:43pm CST
Oh and Black Jacks are disgusting. How can people eat that stuff? =x
Re: Oberphones Presents "Hommage à Skywarp" (845121)
Posted by Editor on December 4th, 2008 @ 1:47pm CST
I agree with DM.

Just because this piece is not going to appeal to all of us, it is not automaticly crap, and it is quite interesting. How many threads are out there based on "what was your first Transformer?" or "Who's your favorite?" This is no different in that the artist clearly connects with Skywarp, and has gone as far to create this.

In a ways it's no different that writing a Skywarp fanfic or kitbashing/repainting a figure, the only difference is that he has the means to attempt to make a profit from his work.

or "Starscream" are you taking offence that someone would base the piece on a seeker other than your namesake? if so, That is just sad.

@ Tekka, wouldn'y know never tried them, but are they something Skywarp would eat?
Re: Oberphones Presents "Hommage à Skywarp" (845125)
Posted by Tekka on December 4th, 2008 @ 1:52pm CST
My Skywarp would never eat Black Jacks. :P Or any other liquorice or liquorice flavour product. As we all know, he is in to grape flavour jellied candies. :lol:
Re: Oberphones Presents "Hommage à Skywarp" (845126)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on December 4th, 2008 @ 1:53pm CST
What the hell?
Re: Oberphones Presents "Hommage à Skywarp" (845130)
Posted by gitanes on December 4th, 2008 @ 1:55pm CST
Dead Metal wrote:No it's not while I do think it's really odd it is quite creative. It's just one of those things artists some times do to show off. But why the hell this is sold is just beyond me it's more like something you'd see in a gallery. Nothing I would buy.

Why is it "odd" for art prints and posters to be sold? Yes, they're sold in galleries. And online and elsewhere.
Re: Oberphones Presents "Hommage à Skywarp" (845132)
Posted by Tekka on December 4th, 2008 @ 1:57pm CST
I think DM was implying the concept was odd, not the fact a poster dare be sold.
Re: Oberphones Presents "Hommage à Skywarp" (845140)
Posted by Dead Metal on December 4th, 2008 @ 2:09pm CST
gitanes wrote:

No I mean sold as in mass produced and sold in the way it is. This looks more like something from a scratch book the artist would show off and not print and mass release.
Re: Oberphones Presents "Hommage à Skywarp" (845142)
Posted by gitanes on December 4th, 2008 @ 2:12pm CST

Editor's analogy with kitbashes seems a good comparison: a kitbash or a piece of TF-related art might or might not be to my taste, but I don't sit thinking "How odd that this guy's done that." Sure, I haven't seen anything quite like this before in relation to Transformers, but if somebody wants to discuss TF in a new way and maybe to a new audience, that doesn't offend me. Quite the opposite.
Re: Oberphones Presents "Hommage à Skywarp" (845161)
Posted by Dead Metal on December 4th, 2008 @ 2:22pm CST
gitanes wrote:I still don't see what the problem is, though. (From reading the Oberphones page, it looks like at least some of the appeal is in the print work, which we obviously aren't going to appreciate from some web pic.)

I just see this with different eyes then. If I make such a personal piece of artwork that is basically an artistic tribute to a character I would want people to see it but wouldn't want to copy it numerous times and sell those copies. This piece looks more like something that is not for sale that is all.
Strange that the first post you ever do on this forum is in this topic quoting me and telling me that my believe of this being an odd artwork for a poster is wrong. Could you be the artist? :-?
Re: Oberphones Presents "Hommage à Skywarp" (845175)
Posted by gitanes on December 4th, 2008 @ 2:31pm CST
No – in fact I'm not an artist at all. I do like Skywarp, though.
Re: Oberphones Presents "Hommage à Skywarp" (845191)
Posted by ponycorn on December 4th, 2008 @ 2:46pm CST
This looks like it belongs just at this guy's house on his private Skywarp fanboy alter. Too personal of an item for the general public to pick up.
Re: Oberphones Presents "Hommage à Skywarp" (845256)
Posted by Dark Monkelus on December 4th, 2008 @ 3:44pm CST
well, that's clever...

Not really, but me pretending it was is as clever as it wishes it was. Now I can't wait til someone does something as 'out-there' and art skool crazy as drawing Optimus Prime in Biro. Crazy cool cats, what will they think of next?!

...

To summarise; I think it's rubbish:)
Re: Oberphones Presents "Hommage à Skywarp" (845361)
Posted by Stormrider on December 4th, 2008 @ 6:01pm CST
I don't understand the application for this. Do you hang it on the wall? Does it stand up? My first impression is that it was meant to be a trapper keeper.
Re: Oberphones Presents "Hommage à Skywarp" (845426)
Posted by Dread_Wing on December 4th, 2008 @ 7:31pm CST
Weird, I wonder if they used the right tech specs... Didn't Skywarp come with Starcream's tech specs, and Thundercracker with Skywarp's?

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warriors Class Sideswipe Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers B1798AS0 Warpath Figure Combiner Wars" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Wheeljack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Ultra Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #267 - Netflix Earthrise Reviewed
"Netflix Earthrise Reviewed"
Posted: Monday, December 28th, 2020

Buy "Speedster Boulder Flip Racers Transformers Rescue Bots Playskool Heroes" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Stealth Force Bumblebee" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Playskool Transformers Rescue Bots Academy Salvage" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Transformers Rescue Bots  Brushfire and Salvage Recycling" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Lot Movie Jazz Ratchet Hot Shot Bumblebee Barricade" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers -  Siege (War for Cybertron) - Battle Masters - Blowpipe - Sealed" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Mega Class Sky-Byte Shark 2001 100% Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Fire House Station Playset. "Used"" on EBAY