Transformers News: Official Colour Images Finally Released for Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime Ver 3

Thursday, November 29th, 2018 6:39PM CST

Category: Toy News
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 22,560

There has been a lot of talk recently concerning Transformers Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime Ver 3 and its 50,000 Yen MSRP (which basically means about $350 USD from Japanese retailers when all is said and done). Is it worth it, is it not, when is too much too much, and most importantly can this toy live up to that? Well we are one step closer to finding out today since we finally have some colour images. These were found on BBTS (who is currently no longer taking preorders).
In these we see all the accessories Optimus comes with, which does not seem as exorbitant when compared to what MP10 came with (and still seems less in number than what Ironhide came with). As expected, the Starscream accessories are just the shoulder pylons and not actual wings. We see the trailer and it does not seem to have more functionality than the one that came with MP-10. It can seat 4 MP carbots when open. We see Prime in many different poses too, all in colour.

So, what do you think? Is he as beautiful as you imagined? Do you think that alternate head he comes with looks like he is wearing a ninja scarf? Will you be preordering this guy asap? Let us know!

Credit(s): BBTS
Re: Official Colour Images Finally Released for Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime Ver 3 (1996088)
Posted by william-james88 on November 29th, 2018 @ 6:43pm CST
I will be honest guys, even if money was not an issue, I am not that impressed. I think I even preffer MP10, simply because he has less panel lines. And I realize I am not that big a fan of that cartoon deco.
Re: Official Colour Images Finally Released for Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime Ver 3 (1996090)
Posted by Burn on November 29th, 2018 @ 6:49pm CST
william-james88 wrote:I will be honest guys, even if money was not an issue, I am not that impressed.

Same. This just doesn't seem that great.
Re: Official Colour Images Finally Released for Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime Ver 3 (1996091)
Posted by Ironhidensh on November 29th, 2018 @ 6:51pm CST

There has been an argument made that Takara is charging more because it costs them more, not just inflating for the sake of inflating. That just doesn't hold water for me.

See, MP 36 Megatron cost about $200. It is still, to date, the most complex MP Takara has made. Prime 44 is the same size, and you can clearly see from the pictures that he in no way is more complex than Megatron. Prime is a very comparable figure to Megatron, and should cost around the same. Yes, Prime comes with a trailer and a lot of accessories, but so did Megatron. Do you really think Prime's add ons are worth $250 extra? Hell no. Also, we have the 3rd Party market to compare too. Their production costs are greater than Takara's. Its why those figures cost so much. Many of them are the same level of quality as official product, if not better in many cases. Takara has skyrocketed the price in comparison. Not to mention other high end collectors lines in Japan form other companies, that do more with less.

Long story short, there is no realistic or market based reasoning for this massive price mark up, other than Takara simply wants to charge more. And that is fine. Its how a free market works, non of us are being forced to buy it. Just don't say that the price is justified in any other way, its not. This is a cash grab, same as Dinobot was. Dinobot is a far inferior figure compared to Megatron, and cost more. I thought I could live with it for the ability to have a premium Dinobot figure, but it just keeps eating at me. I'll be putting mine on eBay this week. With that, the already ridiculous price of BW Megatron, and now this ludicrous Prime price, I think I'm out of the official MP game, and that really sucks. I love MP figures, but I will not be taken advantage of like this.

The real kicker for me in all of this? I want this figure. It looks simply amazing, and I am one of the lucky ones here who can afford this price. But I can't justify it by any means. I have two little boys, and we have started trying to teach them the value of money. How can I do that with a straight face when I waste money on something like this? Answer: I can't.

Oh well, we move on.
Re: Official Colour Images Finally Released for Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime Ver 3 (1996093)
Posted by Hellscream9999 on November 29th, 2018 @ 7:52pm CST
Ironhidensh wrote:So, with all the arguing back and forth, I thought I'd share my thoughts on why myself and so many others find this price to be ridiculous.

Oh well, we move on.

I think whomever does the mp knockoffs is gonna have a field day with this release
Re: Official Colour Images Finally Released for Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime Ver 3 (1996095)
Posted by ScottyP on November 29th, 2018 @ 8:22pm CST
Burn wrote:

Same. This just doesn't seem that great.
It looks incomplete, but given these are color pictures I don't expect much to change on it between now and its release, if anything. Very disappointing given the price tag.

The head is an improvement and the articulation looks to be as well, but the rest looks like a regression.
Re: Official Colour Images Finally Released for Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime Ver 3 (1996099)
Posted by DeathReviews on November 29th, 2018 @ 8:56pm CST
Sorry - but unless that figure is made out of solid GOLD, it ain't worth no $350....
Re: Official Colour Images Finally Released for Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime Ver 3 (1996100)
Posted by Black Bumblebee on November 29th, 2018 @ 8:57pm CST
Do I like the look of the figure? Sure. Am I going to spend $400+ on it? Heck no. There is absolutely no freaking reason for it. I got my MP10 for $99 at ToysRUs, and even then I thought the price tag was high as I was pretty happy with my original MP1 Optimus.

It's a pretty figure, and if I had lots of money and I saw it for $100 I "might" buy it. But for me, for my collection... I just don't need it. It won't bring me hundreds of dollars of enjoyment. And at the end of the day, that's what matters.
Re: Official Colour Images Finally Released for Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime Ver 3 (1996106)
Posted by TulioDude on November 29th, 2018 @ 9:52pm CST
I like the all red cab.

Not on a rush to own this,but it is cool
Re: Official Colour Images Finally Released for Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime Ver 3 (1996108)
Posted by Manterax Prime on November 29th, 2018 @ 9:57pm CST
"Is he as beautiful as you imagined?"

No, quite the opposite. He's as bland and boring as I imagined.
That mess of a back section in truck mode doesn't help either.
Re: Official Colour Images Finally Released for Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime Ver 3 (1996113)
Posted by TheForgottenTaxi on November 29th, 2018 @ 10:28pm CST

Anyway, as far as the actual photos go... it looks pretty good?

Loving: The head sculpt (I didn't realize how much I wanted this particular Prime head sculpt until laying eyes on these photos), the colors, the legs, the articulation.

Not Loving: The backpack, the smokestacks extending down past the shoulders (I realize this is cartoon accurate, but I think it looks like butts), and the side of the cab proportions, particularly the awkward "interior" bit -- seriously, if you're not going to do the interior well, just skip it.

Also: Am I the only one completely over elaborate accessories that reference a single episode of the cartoon? Nice Starscream parts. I'm going to maybe put them on once, take a picture, then have to figure out somewhere to store them for the rest of the time I own the figure. Megatron's Master Plan was my favorite episode as a kid, and I still see zero value in this.
Re: Official Colour Images Finally Released for Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime Ver 3 (1996114)
Posted by Supreme Convoy on November 29th, 2018 @ 10:37pm CST
Whoa! This looks cool.

What is the Starscream head a reference to?
Re: Official Colour Images Finally Released for Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime Ver 3 (1996115)
Posted by Seibertron on November 29th, 2018 @ 10:45pm CST

It definitely looks better in color, though the upper torso angled on the lower body looks really odd to me.

And before anyone says it, I get it ... if you don't like it, don't buy it. But I want to like it and I think the reasons for not liking it could easily be overcome with some appropriate changes and I don't like the idea of Takara double-dipping on these with a "cartoon" accurate color scheme first and then a more "toy accurate" color scheme later. Just come out with the best color scheme first and go from there.
Re: Official Colour Images Finally Released for Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime Ver 3 (1996116)
Posted by Hellscream9999 on November 29th, 2018 @ 10:47pm CST
TheForgottenTaxi wrote:Wait, I thought yesterday's report was that it was $440? Now it's $350? That's a lot closer to reasonable, if still pretty ridiculous.

No, it's $350 if you import it yourself, it'll be $450 to buy it from domestic retailers like bbts - unless I missed something
Re: Official Colour Images Finally Released for Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime Ver 3 (1996124)
Posted by william-james88 on November 29th, 2018 @ 11:37pm CST
Hellscream9999 wrote:

Thats right, could not have said it better myself.
Re: Official Colour Images Finally Released for Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime Ver 3 (1996125)
Posted by Colt on November 30th, 2018 @ 12:04am CST
This does not look that good. His hips look off, and his backpack is distracting. His head is nice, just not $400 nice. Overall seems like a pointless figure especially considering we have MP-1 and MP-10.
Re: Official Colour Images Finally Released for Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime Ver 3 (1996128)
Posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman on November 30th, 2018 @ 12:48am CST
Emerje wrote:He was also rare shown in robot mode with it and guess which mode I'll be displaying Optimus in? For the price they really should have come up with an alternative. Even the super expensive non-transforming Optimus Prime from Hot Toys came at two price points (with and without Starscream armor). If they can do it then so can Takara Tomy.

Well, why do you even want a transforming Optimus at all if you only care about the robot mode? Much less this one that comes with so much stuff you've flat-out said you'll never use? I am honestly just baffled here. What do you get out of it? I am very confused here :???: :???: :???: :HEADHURTS:

In the case of a high-end transforming G1 Optimus, most would see the trailer as an essential part of the package.

Seibertron wrote:Oh my god cartoon accuracy drives me f*****g crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where is the silver paint on the figure? What is with the dull flat grays? Why does Takara think they have to be so slavish to their perceived cartoon accuracy? Not what I want to spend $400+ on, let alone $200+!!! I have never ever wanted G1 cartoon accurate toys that are so slavish that they forget that the grays should represent silver in most cases or that the lack of details was to make it easier for the animators to HAND draw, neither of which should apply to "masterpiece" Transformers.

Very. Much. Agreed. The "comic colors" Grimlock is dumb for the same reasons - black was represented by dark blue with black accents because that was the only way to give it any shading with the print tech of the time (plus too much black ink in one spot would soak through and tear the page). I think incorporating the disappearing tires is dumb as well because those too were a form of dumbing the design down for easier and cheaper animation.
Looking at this, they were so stupidly accurate to the animation limits it's amazing he doesn't have cel-shaded windows!
Re: Official Colour Images Finally Released for Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime Ver 3 (1996129)
Posted by Cyberpath on November 30th, 2018 @ 1:00am CST

Why not? By now we all know the drill, ie, get the cartoon version or wait for the "plus" edition. Something for (almost) everyone.

The white on Optimus Prime represents chrome but I can understand why they made the thighs and pelvis white because it immediately evokes the character from the screen. Sunbow's Prime is my all-time favourite cartoon character. Years ago MP-10 was the closest thing to it; now this new figure is an even more "literal" representation of him, and I'm down for that.

The fact that like Inferno, his head can be switched between the more rounded design and the signature angular TOEI design is pretty neat. Makes fans of both styles happy. But I really want to see it from this angle --

Also, I sort of got the feeling he should be packed with more battle damage parts than just the head? There will probably be more stock photos later showing that, and him interacting with other characters, including a remake of the Sherman Dam fight with MP-36 Megatron.

william-james88 wrote:We see the trailer and it does not seem to have more functionality than the one that came with MP-10.
The blue piece it houses serves as a flight-stand. And the double barrel cockpit can detach from the trailer and run on a blue roller to reference "Fire in the Sky."
Re: Official Colour Images Finally Released for Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime Ver 3 (1996132)
Posted by Regimus Prime on November 30th, 2018 @ 1:15am CST
I’m normally in a rush to throw down my wallet and it’s hard earned contents to support any G1 themed Optimus product. This time, not so much, because frankly this cost too much. I’m still happy with my 20th Anniversary Optimus/MP-01 TRU Exclusive from 2004 and currently in the hunt for an unopened one since years ago I opened mine. If I’m lucky enough to snag one on eBay it will still cost less than MP-44. I’m even still ecstatic for my MP-10 TRU release that scales wonderfully with my other MP’s including the recent MP-36. At least MP-36 included the battle damaged face and chest plate to recreate their epic ‘86 movie battle. This MP-44 only includes the damaged head. At least give us a detailed damaged cab front and grill at this price point Takara. If I really need an animated G1 fix, I’ll save about $190.00 and stick with my pre-order of the Transformers Classic Scale Optimus Prime Statue from Pop Culture Shock :BOT:
Re: Official Colour Images Finally Released for Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime Ver 3 (1996133)
Posted by starfish on November 30th, 2018 @ 1:26am CST
For me, the “toon-esque” designs are something I can take or leave. I did enjoy the old MP aesthetic which went for a more detailed look.

That said, the engineering on these guys is fantastic. It’s not such a hard trick to turn an officially-licenced vehicle into a well-detailed robot. But to turn a detailed vehicle into one with lots of flat surfaces - that’s pretty mind-blowing! Looks-wise, I couldn’t care less as to whether his leg wheels are visible or not. I loved the look of MP1, and his leg-wheels stared you right in the face.

But I’m far more interested in engineering and the ‘brain teaser’ aspect of MP transformers, the ingenuity and the “Wow” moments. MP Megatron is one of my all-time favourite figures - not necessarily because of his looks (although he does look great), but because his transformation, and the mental gymnastics the designers pulled off in order to get from one mode to the other.

I realise that different people want different things from their toys, and there were a lot of complaints about Megatron, Sunstreaker and Dinobot, to various extents. But speaking personally, the switch from ‘detailed cab’ to ‘flat-surfaces robot’ is an achievement and marvel in itself, irrespective of what the robot actually looks like.

But that’s just me - your mileage may vary!
Re: Official Colour Images Finally Released for Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime Ver 3 (1996134)
Posted by Cyberpath on November 30th, 2018 @ 1:31am CST

Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers RID Combiner Force Warriors Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Platinum RID Grimlock and Bumblebee - Exclusive" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #213 - How to Say Expensive and Mean It
"How to Say Expensive and Mean It"
Posted: Sunday, December 9th, 2018

Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots MEDIX The Doc-Bot Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G2 Motormouth Generation 2 GO-BOTS SEALED ON CARD MOC MOSC" on EBAY
Buy "Motormouth Vintage Transformers Generation 2 G2 Go-Bots MOC Figure Car 1994 New" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G2 Mirage Generation 2 GO-BOTS SEALED ON CARD MOC MOSC" on EBAY
Buy "HASBRO TAKARA TOMY TRANSFORMERS 'SIDESWIPE' SIEGE WAR FOR CYBERTRON TRILOGY" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege War for Cybertron Deluxe Sideswipe Hound Skytread Cog Set 4" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G1 OPTIMUS PRIME vintage cab w Roller lot Autobots" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Playskool Transformers Rescue Bots Medix The Doc Bot Wave 5 2012" on EBAY