Thursday, March 11th, 2021 12:19pm CST

Category: Toy News
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 35,502

Well it looks like some rumours were wrong. We are getting reissues from the Beast Wars era but they are not transmetals, they are the original toys from 1996. And they seem to be original through and through with the original headsculpts and original packaging too, which will be amazing to see in stores. My fondest toysrus memory is seeing all these beast wars toys on pegs covering an end display and this definitely brings me back. With these being reissues and part of Walmart's collector con on 3/15, it's a smart bet that these are Walmart exclusives. The deluxes will be $19.99 and the Leaders will be $39.99, no word yet on Rattrap. Check out Rattap, Cheetor, Optimus Primal and Megatron below! Here is where this story was first posted: https://www.ign.com/articles/new-transf ... lease-date
We thank the many fans who reached out to us about this.

Transformers News: Original Beast Wars Optimus Primal, Megatron, Cheetor and Rattrap Reissues Revealed

Re: Original Beast Wars Optimus Primal, Megatron, Cheetor and Rattrap Reissues Revealed (2097820)
Posted by TOO MUCH ENERGON! on March 11th, 2021 @ 12:25pm CST
I pretty much got all of my Beast Wars toys back in the 90's at a Walmart (which no longer exists) anyway, so double-nostalgia! :lol:
Re: Original Beast Wars Optimus Primal, Megatron, Cheetor and Rattrap Reissues Revealed (2097821)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 11th, 2021 @ 12:30pm CST
Hard pass. I still have all my original BW toys, as well as several of the show-accurate Telemocha Series redecos, and the 10th Anniversary retools of Primal and Megatron, and even the 1997 show-accurate Takara redecos of Rattrap and Terrorsaur.

I would have been all over reissues of the Transmetals if it gave us a GPS-free version of Megatron. Or even reissues of these molds in their Telemocha Series decos (as there are still a few I'm missing). But I don't need show-inaccurate versions of the Season 1 figures.
Re: Original Beast Wars Optimus Primal, Megatron, Cheetor and Rattrap Reissues Revealed (2097823)
Posted by Dead Metal on March 11th, 2021 @ 12:31pm CST
Jelze Bunnycat wrote:
william-james88 wrote:
Dead Metal wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Zeedust wrote:
Jelze Bunnycat wrote:And I thought Transmetal Rattrap being used for BW 10th instead of the original Basic was nothing more than logistics, really. Putting a Basic figure in a line set as "Deluxe only", yeah no.

Yeah, that was my assumption as well.

They pulled the original Terrorsaur mold out of mothballs for use in AoE, so we know at least one of the first-wave basic-class BW molds was available for use in a 2014 toyline. The BW 10th anniversary toyline was 2006. I'm skeptical about the idea that Rattrap's mold was unusable by then when Terrosaur's, which got reused far more, was still good 8 years later.
Yeah, the Terrorsaur mold showing up in AOE came as a shock to everyone, as it too was believed to have been lost like the Rattrap, Insecticon, and Armordillo molds.

Wait, what? I just had to check this and wow. That has got to be the most random redeco ever. A 20 year old mold used as something in a main toyline...

It wasn't a main toyline.

It was a Walmart exclusive to be exact, packaged with a RotF Legion Bumblebee. And well, dinos sell, so any available was used. Look at Grimlock, he got Prime Legion Rippersnapper (multiple times!), FoC Grimlock and Energon Cruellock(!) used.

Actually, the BW springloaded Basics may not be lost, but undesireable to be used due some of the mechanisms, the (supposed) force necessary to trigger them and how little fingers can get stuck inside them. I have Iguanus, Armordillo and BW Neo Hydra within reach and I can see kids getting their fingers hurt. Compare them to the current One-Step Changers, you'll see what I mean :-?

So the wiki got it wrong when it states that it's an AOE release? Ok.

As for the reissues at hand, kinda tempted for the packaging, BW had my favourite packaging design. And gotta love mistransforming in advertising photos to make toys look more articulated XD
Re: Original Beast Wars Optimus Primal, Megatron, Cheetor and Rattrap Reissues Revealed (2097824)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 11th, 2021 @ 12:34pm CST
Dead Metal wrote:So the wiki got it wrong when it states that it's an AOE release? Ok.
What are you talking about? It was released in AOE. Just not in the main toyline, but in a Walmart-exclusive AOE subline. That's what Will and JelZe meant.
Re: Original Beast Wars Optimus Primal, Megatron, Cheetor and Rattrap Reissues Revealed (2097825)
Posted by sol magnus on March 11th, 2021 @ 12:40pm CST
Ahh, memories. I might get an Optimus Primal so I can use his mace for the Kingdom version. Those guys had 5mm pegs.
Re: Original Beast Wars Optimus Primal, Megatron, Cheetor and Rattrap Reissues Revealed (2097827)
Posted by TulioDude on March 11th, 2021 @ 12:47pm CST
They all look neat! ;)^ specially knowing that I can find an original Megatron at a much lower price than the used market.
Re: Original Beast Wars Optimus Primal, Megatron, Cheetor and Rattrap Reissues Revealed (2097828)
Posted by Dead Metal on March 11th, 2021 @ 12:48pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:

Ok, a subline. How was I supposed to know? Wiki said AOE, which I remember as a main line, and then I get corrected with "not a main line".
There's no need to get angry about a reissue from 6 (?) years ago.
Re: Original Beast Wars Optimus Primal, Megatron, Cheetor and Rattrap Reissues Revealed (2097829)
Posted by Evil Eye on March 11th, 2021 @ 12:55pm CST
Re: Original Beast Wars Optimus Primal, Megatron, Cheetor and Rattrap Reissues Revealed (2097830)
Posted by TOO MUCH ENERGON! on March 11th, 2021 @ 1:03pm CST
Evil Eye wrote:I was hoping we might be getting Transmetal reissues, given the originals are amazing toys (mostly) and that they'd be sufficiently different from the Kingdom stuff for people to justify buying both. As it stands, this seems...poorly thought out, given that there are now better figures of the same designs available (particularly egregious with Rattrap, whose Core is much cheaper than this reissue).

Nostalgia is a powerful thing. I already have all the Kingdom toys available (sans Megatron because my retailer keeps delaying his release), and I'll still be buying these simply for the sake of my inner 11 year old, lol.
Re: Original Beast Wars Optimus Primal, Megatron, Cheetor and Rattrap Reissues Revealed (2097831)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 11th, 2021 @ 1:13pm CST
TOO MUCH ENERGON! wrote:

By contrast, the Transmetals would have offered something ufficiently different, giving people good reason to buy from both lines, while also still capitalizing on people's nostalgia. As is, these are just more expensive alternatives to the Kingdom figures.
Re: Original Beast Wars Optimus Primal, Megatron, Cheetor and Rattrap Reissues Revealed (2097832)
Posted by TOO MUCH ENERGON! on March 11th, 2021 @ 1:20pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:
TOO MUCH ENERGON! wrote:

I get what you're saying, and I do agree with you to an extent. I'm just saying that the nostalgia of these being the exact figures I had in my hands as an 11 year old kid will drive me to buy them in addition to having already purchased the admittedly superior Kingdom toys. And I'm not even a hardcore collector or anything.
Re: Original Beast Wars Optimus Primal, Megatron, Cheetor and Rattrap Reissues Revealed (2097833)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 11th, 2021 @ 1:22pm CST
TOO MUCH ENERGON! wrote:these being the exact figures I had in my hands as an 11 year old kid
With different or less paint, though.

Primal's missing all the red on his chestplate, for instance.

Same with all the silver missing from Megatron's helmet.
Re: Original Beast Wars Optimus Primal, Megatron, Cheetor and Rattrap Reissues Revealed (2097834)
Posted by blackeyedprime on March 11th, 2021 @ 1:26pm CST
The article makes it read like it is Cheetor AND Rattrap for $20 where as Meagatron and Primal are $40 each. Pretty good price for the duo considering what the Kingdom Cheetor looks like.
Re: Original Beast Wars Optimus Primal, Megatron, Cheetor and Rattrap Reissues Revealed (2097835)
Posted by Mindmaster on March 11th, 2021 @ 1:27pm CST
They’re nice, but I already have a Primal and Megatron and I prefer the Kingdom boys. Yes, heretical, I know.
Re: Original Beast Wars Optimus Primal, Megatron, Cheetor and Rattrap Reissues Revealed (2097836)
Posted by Immortal Starscream on March 11th, 2021 @ 1:36pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:
With different or less paint, though.

Primal's missing all the red on his chestplate, for instance.

Same with all the silver missing from Megatron's helmet.

cheetor's blue looks a bit darker then I remember (I sold all my old bw figs years ago when times were tough, so I don't have them to compare, will check the gallery here later)

megatron though..

the real question isn't megatron's missing paint, which is kinda not cool imho, it's whether or not they put back in his ratchets. the 10th anniversary version removed his ratchet components giving him loose waists and hips. on the plus side, minor differences to help tell the difference between these and the original is good for re-sellers I suppose
Re: Original Beast Wars Optimus Primal, Megatron, Cheetor and Rattrap Reissues Revealed (2097837)
Posted by william-james88 on March 11th, 2021 @ 1:48pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:The thing is, this is Hasbro competing with itself since every one of these reissues so far completely overlap with the Kingdom offerings 100%.

The Soundwave reissue overlapped, as did Starscream and Optimus Prime. It's the same thing here. People are rediscovering the characters with the new toys and can also either experience the original toys for the first time to see how far things have gone or to reown them.

They are basically turning Walmart shelves into the Chronicle series (pics below) where you can buy whatever you want individually.

Re: Original Beast Wars Optimus Primal, Megatron, Cheetor and Rattrap Reissues Revealed (2097839)
Posted by TOO MUCH ENERGON! on March 11th, 2021 @ 2:06pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:
With different or less paint, though.

Primal's missing all the red on his chestplate, for instance.

Same with all the silver missing from Megatron's helmet.

Those are minor details for a casual collector such as myself. Not to disparage anyone for caring about such things, though.
Re: Original Beast Wars Optimus Primal, Megatron, Cheetor and Rattrap Reissues Revealed (2097841)
Posted by o.supreme on March 11th, 2021 @ 2:16pm CST
Well there we go. I KNEW these wouldn't be the Transmetals, not for the prices initially stated (and they are even less expensive than originally shown). That's not to say if these are successful they wont try to bring out the Transmetals sometime down the road, but at least we can put all the initial rumors to rest.
Re: Original Beast Wars Optimus Primal, Megatron, Cheetor and Rattrap Reissues Revealed (2097844)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 11th, 2021 @ 2:29pm CST
william-james88 wrote:

The Soundwave reissue overlapped, as did Starscream and Optimus Prime.
Not when they all had sufficiently different altmode designs and engineering from the contemporary Siege toys.

Plus, let's not kid ourselves, here. The G1 toys are worlds more different from the Generations toys of today compared to the original Beast Wars molds that have much of the same quality and spirit as today's Generations toys.
Re: Original Beast Wars Optimus Primal, Megatron, Cheetor and Rattrap Reissues Revealed (2097846)
Posted by Overcracker on March 11th, 2021 @ 2:42pm CST
william-james88 wrote:Well it looks like some rumours were wrong. We are getting reissues from the Beast Wars era but they are not transmetals, they are the original toys from 1996. And they seem to be original through and through with the original headsculpts and original packaging too, which will be amazing to see in stores. My fondest toysrus memory is seeing all these beast wars toys on pegs covering an end display and this definitely brings me back. With these being reissues and part of Walmart's collector con on 3/15, it's a smart bet that these are Walmart exclusives. The colours are slightly different than the original releases though. The deluxes will be $19.99 and the Leaders will be $39.99, no word yet on Rattrap. Check out Rattap, Cheetor, Optimus Primal and Megatron below! Here is where this story was first posted: https://www.ign.com/articles/new-transf ... lease-date

I'll pickup Megatron and Ratrap, if I see them. Never owned them, and would like a shot at them.

Prime and Cheetor I already have better versions of those molds.

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Sky Lynx" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Brawn" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Strafe" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #277 - Daring to Be Stupid
"Daring to Be Stupid"
Posted: Sunday, May 30th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Commemorative Series 9 Ricochet 2004 NO NIGHTSTICK TRU Excl EX Cond" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Selects TURTLER / SNAPTRAP Takara TT-GS03 New in Box" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Selects G2 Megatron, Netflix Hotlink Target Red Wing" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G1 Scorponok shield original" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege: War for Cybertron Deluxe Class Autobot Chromia Brand New" on EBAY