Paramount and Huahua Media Ending Their Financing Deal

Transformers News: Paramount and Huahua Media Ending Their Financing Deal

Friday, November 10th, 2017 12:42AM CST

Categories: Live Action Movie News, Company News
Posted by: Bounti76   Views: 11,247

As filming on the Bumblebee Movie wraps/is wrapping up, and with the last of the Transformers: The Last Knight toyline trickling out, we bring to you more news, though of the business side of making the live-action movies.

As we reported earlier, HuaHua media, via it's funding agreement with Paramount Studios, had incurred larger than expected losses, due to underperforming Paramount films (including this summer's The Last Knight). Well, it now looks as though that agreement is ending, via this story in Variety.

What does this mean for the live-action movies? Jim Gianapoulos, Paramount CEO said “The actions we are announcing today establish a financing model that is better aligned to Paramount’s new strategic approach to film production,” [he] said in a statement. Click on the link above to read the full article, and feel free to discuss this in the Energon pub forums below!
Credit(s): Variety
Re: Paramount and Huahua Media Ending Their Financing Deal (1920806)
Posted by fenrir72 on November 10th, 2017 @ 1:24am CST
American businesses are learning from the Chinese.......how to put one over the other! :lol: This time, it's the Chinese left holding the bag! Paramount's been a victim of so much piracy that they hoodwinked them investors from China into investing on a turd!
Re: Paramount and Huahua Media Ending Their Financing Deal (1920814)
Posted by frogbat on November 10th, 2017 @ 4:39am CST
This might be related to the chinese government clampdown on foreign investment
Re: Paramount and Huahua Media Ending Their Financing Deal (1920880)
Posted by Blackstreak on November 10th, 2017 @ 3:39pm CST
Perhaps if the movies and toy lines are underperforming, than maybe they should improve on the quality of their products? Just a thought. I rather enjoy the movies but the toys have really plummeted in quality and skyrocketed in price. Nowadays, the only lines I'm interested in are 3rd party and Masterpiece.
Re: Paramount and Huahua Media Ending Their Financing Deal (1920882)
Posted by TulioDude on November 10th, 2017 @ 5:57pm CST
[quote]but the toys have really plummeted in quality and skyrocketed in price. [/quote]
Unfortunately,this apllies to most toys nowdays,it isnt a Hasbro isolated thing.
Re: Paramount and Huahua Media Ending Their Financing Deal (1925510)
Posted by Va'al on December 7th, 2017 @ 3:28am CST
We bring you today of piece of entirely non-news which will somehow turn out to be news, as it involves the Paramount live-action Transformers movie series and its director (so far) Michael Bay, who's been quiet about what might happen after Transformers: The Last Knight, and whether it actually was his last project on the franchise. Commenting very briefly on a question on Instagram from TFnerd, the director mentioned that the series will indeed take 'a new direction', though we have no idea as to what that refers.

We do know that the Bumblebee Movie will feature a new writer and director team, as well as reimagined setting and some designs, and we have heard rumours and speculation about the sixth movie in the main series, but nothing concrete just yet. Check out the entirely inconsequential non-exchange below, and let us know what might be in the future of the series!

[quote]So here we have the latest movies from two very divisive franchises. The #DCEU and the #TFCU. Justice League and Transformers The Last Knight. Both movies that got negative reviews and failed at the Box Office. But both movies that I enjoyed. I think I have a tendency for liking movies that get critically destroyed.

Even if you look at the movies that came before these, Batman V Superman Dawn of Justice and Transformers Age Of Extinction. Both got critically destroyed but I enjoyed both of them! In my opinion the DCEU and the TFCU are a bit similar since they both get so much hate and are now at a place where they have to rethink their whole plan on how they want to move forward. One thing I love about the DC films is that they are made with love and passion from everyone involved.

I mean ask @henrycavill if he loves being apart of the DC universe and ask @markwahlberg if he loves being apart of the TF universe. I don't want to hate on TF but let's face it. The people that are involved with the movies don't love TF as much as we do. I really hope they can bring people in who really care and love this franchise and I absolutely don't want to be disrespectful towards @michaelbay and if you know me then you'll know that I'm a huge fan of his work! What are your thoughts on this and which movie do you like more? #JusticeLeague or #Transformers The Last Knight?[/quote]

michaelbay wrote:Well 4.5 billion dollars later, 100s of millions of people saw the Transformers movies - I’d say it had great run. Any Studio would take this franchise series success. That said. Now it’s time to take this franchise in a totally new direction.
Re: Paramount and Huahua Media Ending Their Financing Deal (1925522)
Posted by hausjam on December 7th, 2017 @ 6:54am CST

Long live Transformers!
Re: Paramount and Huahua Media Ending Their Financing Deal (1925528)
Posted by Deathsanras on December 7th, 2017 @ 7:34am CST
hausjam wrote:Unlike the haters, I will take it any way I can get it. I loved them all. Weirdo fan boys who are entitled enough to think they deserve a big budget movie catered to their whims and desires will just have to keep dreaming. And hack critics, well, no one gives a frack what they think anyway. They are long since irrelevant in this world. (BTW, I put Justice League in my top 10 favs)

Long live Transformers!

Apparently you're a "hater" and a "weirdo fan boy" if you want the movies to make sense.

The movies objectively have some very specific problems in story-telling, narrative, visualization and direction. These have been hashed and rehashed over and over again, so I'm not going to lay it all out here. If you claim to not be aware of them, then you're either completely new to the franchise or a liar. As we are hearing, the "world" you speak of is rapidly drawing to a close; being "irrelevant" to it in its last death throes is unlikely to be something the critics will lose sleep over.

Compare, for a moment, the reaction to the Combiner Wars and Titans Return series. They are hugely fan-wanky, bringing G1 designs and even G1 actors, but they have been utterly roasted as being the next Energon - and don't forget the Japanese Go! episodes are competition for the title - suffering from a comprehensive list of narrative, characterization and art problems. Whereupon your claims rapidly fall apart.

I'd say the "fanboys" are the ones who are too dogmatic and blindly dismissive to address, or even acknowledge, the legitimate criticisms across 10 years of the Film incarnation, for fear of disrupting their narrow worldview, or acknowledging that "liking" it is not the same as it being "good".

But that might just be me and my completely unreasonable expectation that the films should make sense.
Re: Paramount and Huahua Media Ending Their Financing Deal (1925532)
Posted by Caminus9000 on December 7th, 2017 @ 8:08am CST
The Last Knight was shit, why did we have to wait 3 years for it? You said you were evolving but you didn't do bits, you just evolved into the first male with tits
Re: Paramount and Huahua Media Ending Their Financing Deal (1925538)
Posted by Aimless Misfire on December 7th, 2017 @ 8:30am CST
The Last Knight wasn't even a movie. It was a bunch of random scenes thrown together that didn't make any sense.
Re: Paramount and Huahua Media Ending Their Financing Deal (1925540)
Posted by Rated X on December 7th, 2017 @ 8:35am CST
Ummmm I dunno whats more puzzling...the directors "new direction" comments or the way the more geeky elements of the fandom disect them.

Im a G1/CHUG guy age 41 and I f**kin love the Bayverse franchise. I always said when you watch the Bayverse films you gotta pretend G1 never existed. You gotta wipe everything pre-2007 from your mind and stop trying to compare it to your favorite Transformers series. Enjoy it for what it is. Keep in mind that G1, Beast Wars, and the Unicron Trilogy had just as many bizzare and often questionable moments as any Bayverse film. No writer is going to be able to explain every question you have about why this or that happened or didnt happen. We all have our list of questions we would love to ask Michael Bay and his team. My biggest question would be what happened to Galvatron and why was no fiction added to show us how Megatron came back from the dead. I hope that gets touched in the 6th movie but if it doesnt, Im not going to hate the franchise and condemn it to hell like so many people do. I understand alot of people dont like the potty humor. For some reason it doesnt appeal to geek portion of the fandom. Personally I love it. Call it a "guy thing" or whatever you like, but remember its a movie so its gotta appeal to all types of audiences. The movies werent made to be your dream franchise. Thats what you got G1 for, or Beast Wars, or RID, or whatever tickles your pickle. I cant think of a Transformers cartoon that didnt have bad humor in it (with the original RID being the biggest perpetrator) Yet I never see Skybytes stupid poetry catch half as much heat as the twins did in ROTF. I loved the twins and if I had it my way, I hope they return for the 6th movie just to piss you off some more. As far as the "new direction" is concerned, I highly doubt they are going to write Unicron out the script because they sunk way too much into setting up the plot for the 6th movie. In my opinion, every segment has went a "new direction" in one way or another. So honestly I take that comment very vaguely. Maybe they could be talking about the acting in the film. I really dont give a s**t about actors. It could be marky mark, john cena, tyrese, or joe schmoe from some reality show ive never seen in my life. Hell, you could let shia laboufs ugly face heal from his last bar fight and give him a spot and ill be cool with it. As long as we got a hot chick for some eye candy im a happy camper. Bring in Mia Khalifa lol. She might do a better job acting than these bimbo model types do. I just wanna have a good time and see some giant robots smash each other and blow a bunch of s**t up. Thats what Michael Bay does and he is damn good at it. I hope he does direct part 6 because this series will most likely define his legacy as a filmaker. If he wants to pass it on to a new guy like they did with star wars thats cool, but at least finish the first 6. Oh no, did I just compare Bayverse to Star Wars and commit the ultimate sin? F**k yeah I just did !!!

Anyways, kill all the hate. If 8 bucks is gonna break you, nobodys going to force you to go to the theater. Ill be there. As much as I hate Bumblebee, Ill be there too. Cena better do at least one wrestling move or I riot !!!

Long live Michael Bay !!! There are plenty of us so called "Gee-wunners" who actually appreciate you ! Rock on !!! :BOWDOWN: :APPLAUSE: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay:
Re: Paramount and Huahua Media Ending Their Financing Deal (1925546)
Posted by Caelus on December 7th, 2017 @ 9:16am CST
There is a segment of the population that not only feels any criticism of things they like is a raging personal attack, but that any expression of disappointment or regret over how things have turned out makes you an entitled brat/elitist snob. And are ironically devoted to the belief that something designed to satisfy overseas interests reflects what domestic consumers 'really want'.

And I very much doubt that portion of the population will accept it graciously when things swing in a different direction.
Re: Paramount and Huahua Media Ending Their Financing Deal (1925557)
Posted by Brakethrough on December 7th, 2017 @ 9:58am CST
Next up: Scavengers: The Musical!
Re: Paramount and Huahua Media Ending Their Financing Deal (1925579)
Posted by Rated X on December 7th, 2017 @ 11:45am CST
Caelus wrote:the belief that something designed to satisfy overseas interests reflects what domestic consumers 'really want'.

Marky Mark, John Cena, Chevrolet, and Nascar are all about as "overseas" as a philly cheese steak.

Caelus wrote:makes you an entitled brat/elitist snob.

The word "elitist" ? I never heard of the term before in my life until a couple of months ago on this site. I never would have imagined having an opinion about a movie of all things makes someone feel elite. Is this like a millennial thing? Enlighten me...
Re: Paramount and Huahua Media Ending Their Financing Deal (1925615)
Posted by itscramtastic on December 7th, 2017 @ 2:14pm CST
Rated X wrote:*truth*
:APPLAUSE: :BOWDOWN:

I really couldn't have said it better. They are their own thing. I like them for what they are. ;)^

Also, Cena has to wave his hand in front of his face at minimum.
Re: Paramount and Huahua Media Ending Their Financing Deal (1925624)
Posted by Caelus on December 7th, 2017 @ 3:26pm CST
Rated X wrote:

Marky Mark, John Cena, Chevrolet, and Nascar are all about as 7"overseas" as a philly cheese steak.

"Marky Mark" has his own rrestaurant chain in China and John Cena speaks Mandarin. NASCAR has been flirting with China for a long time. The stereotypes associated with 'Murica' are more popular there than here.

[quote]The word "elitist" ? I never heard of the term before in my life until a couple of months ago on this site.[/quote]

I doubt tthat's true.

[quote]I never would have imagined having an opinion about a movie of all things makes someone feel elite. Is this like a millennial thing? Enlighten me...[/quote]

Elitist is an insult. No one calls themself an elitist because of their feelings about a movie. Other people call them elitist.

Addendum: "elitist" is used interchangeably with "entitled".
Re: Paramount and Huahua Media Ending Their Financing Deal (1925640)
Posted by Rated X on December 7th, 2017 @ 5:22pm CST
Caelus wrote:
Rated X wrote:

I doubt tthat's true.

Addendum: "elitist" is used interchangeably with "entitled".[/quote]

So basically youre saying that you just insulted me and im too stupid to get the insult....

Thanks ! ;)^

Seriously I never heard the word in my life. I live in Miami in a more "urban" environment. Dont assume all guys that collect toy robots speak college jargon.

Not sure what marky marks side ventures or john cenas 2nd language has to do with Michael Bay's targeted audience. I doubt those achievements were listed on their acting resumes when they were chosen among a list of potential actors. I cant confirm or deny that Asians are getting into Nascar. I only know they got their "drifting" and Europeans got their $300,000 racing cars speeding down curvy mountain roads. Nascar has traditionally catered to the same audience who enjoys monster trucks and a whole lot of beer if you get my Drift, lol. I notice you didnt have a reason why Chevrolet and GM was picked as the main car company for the movie, instead of say, Toyota.

I cant tell you for sure if other countries are super obsessed with American culture. They might be. But thats not a reason to suggest that an American director who films an English movie that features mostly American culture is targeting "overseas" audiences. So are you suggesting that Americans dont want to watch movies that feature American culture? How many foreign movies directed by foreign directors featuring foreign actors and foreign cultures win a Grammy or an Oscar in the US? If your going to make wild claims, offer evidence to support them. I suppose star wars was meant for "overseas" audiences too ?
Re: Paramount and Huahua Media Ending Their Financing Deal (1925667)
Posted by Caelus on December 7th, 2017 @ 9:01pm CST
Rated X wrote:So basically youre saying that you just insulted me and im too stupid to get the insult...

I don't know how you got to that conclusion, but I'm too tired to care tonight, especially having written a response to this once already and lost it when my battery died.

[quote]Thanks ! ;)^ [/quote]

You're welcome.

[quote]Seriously I never heard the word in my life.[/quote]

I doubt that.

[quote]I live in Miami in a more "urban" environment.[/quote]

Born and raised in Missouri and living in Tennessee. Y'all and reckon are regular parts of my spoken vocabular. Urban Miami is cosmopolitan AF compared to my background.

[quote]Dont assume all guys that collect toy robots speak college jargon.[/quote]

1) It's not "college jargon", it's the go-to insult for insecure anti-intellectuals everytime they feel threatened because they think they're being assaulted by the opinions of a college-educated millennial.

2) There are dictionaries on the internet; I shouldn't need to worry about using small words.

[quote]I notice you didnt have a reason why Chevrolet and GM was picked as the main car company for the movie, instead of say, Toyota.[/quote]

GM was failing when the first movie was made, and desperate for marketing. Since then, a lot of the GM bots have been killed off and replaced with other makes.

And while Toyota is Japanese owned, most of its cars are manufactured in the U.S., but repping a Japanese brand in a movie marketed to Chinese audiences is probably dodgy.

[quote]I cant tell you for sure if other countries are super obsessed with American culture. They might be. But thats not a reason to suggest that an American director who films an English movie that features mostly American culture is targeting "overseas" audiences.[/quote]

I think the international box office numbers and the last half of Age of Extinction suggest that.

[quote]So are you suggesting that Americans dont want to watch movies that feature American culture?[/quote]

I am suggesting that a certain portion of the population has a very narrow concept of what "American culture" is, and tendd to call anyone who wants more than that "elitist", "entitled", etc., because they doggedly rwsent the notion that most of the rest of the country has lost interest in what they like. And I'm suggesting that their interpretation of "American culture" i plays well to foreign audiences because it conforms to the stereotypes they hold about us as a people.

And I am suggesting that's the reason "Wahlburgers" does well in China, and a WWE superstar learned Mandarin - cheap beer, monster trucks, and half-naked soap operas have more potential fans in China than in America.
Re: Paramount and Huahua Media Ending Their Financing Deal (1925671)
Posted by EunuchRon on December 7th, 2017 @ 9:22pm CST
Peeps don't diggin' the movies? Hey, nobody says ya gotta watch 'em. I think some peeps just can't be pleased. Bay does the same stuff? They hate the same stuff. Bay says he'll do somethin' different? They figure it'll be more of the same or somehow flop. They get a new director? They gonna complain about that too. Haters gonna hate, so I'm not gonna fight about it. I'll just watch the flicks I like and sip a nice cold Coke while munchin' some snacks and not worry 'bout what noone thinks. :POPCORN:
Re: Paramount and Huahua Media Ending Their Financing Deal (1925673)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 7th, 2017 @ 9:32pm CST
A lot of people are just tired of these movies catering so strongly towards psychos, perverts, bigots, and dimwits.
Re: Paramount and Huahua Media Ending Their Financing Deal (1925674)
Posted by JazZeke on December 7th, 2017 @ 9:35pm CST
Not to mention being talked down to the audience.
Transformers products from AMAZON

Featured Products

Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Strongarm Figure" on AMAZON
You save: 61%
You save: 40%
Buy "Transformers MV5 Turbo Changer Super Nova Action Figure" on AMAZON
You save: 34%
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Skywarp Action Figure" on AMAZON
You save: 26%
You save: 23%
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations combiner wars deluxe protectobot groove" on AMAZON
You save: 20%