PC Plus Magazine Analyzes Transformers Message Board Phenomenon

PC Plus Magazine Analyzes Transformers Message Board Phenomenon

Friday, April 2nd, 2010 7:59am CDT

Categories: Site News, Site Articles, People News
Posted by: Tigertrack   Views: 44,802

There is no doubt that the popularity of Transformers has grown 100-fold since the live action movie debuted in 2007, and even more with the blockbuster success of last year’s sequel, Transformers Revenge of the Fallen.

But what has kept this 25+ year toy line alive between it’s heyday, and now? Pure and simple, the love of things that remind us of our childhood. In an effort to re-collect memories, adults have gone seeking their childhood loves, and created a new collection movement.

But, all collectors need to be able to have avenues of communication, ways to share, reflect, purchase, and discuss the hobby. Thus, with the advent of the internet, and the desire to communicate about so many things, also came the advent of the message board.

And you good community members of Seibertron.com are members of one of the original boards created to discuss the love of Transformers toys, and share the amazement, wonder, and fun of the brand.

PC Plus magazine, a technology and computer related magazine, took notice of this trend and recently posted an article about Transformers message boards, and the phenomenom of their influence on pop culture.

Cool right? Even cooler is that they used images from Seibertron.com, and interviewed Seibertron’s owner, and Transformers toy enthusiast, Ryan Yzquierdo (Seibertron) using some of his insights in the article...and of course, some of his spectacular toy gallery pics.

You can see the online version of the article here at PC Plus’s online site, and read a small excerpt from the article below.

”Many of these enthusiasts also proved to be early adopters of internet discussion, creating a raft of fansites and bulletin boards in the mid-to-late 90s that finally allowed the global Transformers community to get together. Today, that's grown into a clutch of professional, commercial sites that provide a growing army of fans with up-to-the-minute news about new figures or movie rumours, and extensive photo galleries of the rare toys they yearn to own. " The fan websites themselves are very competitive in nature and we all strive to make the best sites available," says Ryan Yzquierdo, owner of the enormous and award-winning US fansite Seibertron.com. "The online community consumes the information we provide as fast as possible and is extremely active." From the outside looking in, it's a bizarre phenomenon - so why did it happen?

”The blocky vehicles of the 80s became the more complicated but controversial bio-mechanical animals of the mid-90s Beast Wars, then a welcome return to vehicles with R.I.D., Armada and beyond, and now the hyper-realistic, hyper-detailed movie line toys. There isn't any other action figure line that's been as consistently successful, or that has drawn the attention of so many adults as well as children.”

Having been a part of this ‘phenomenon’ for so long myself (back to at least 2003--I was mostly a ‘lurker’ previously), it has been quite an interesting community to be a part of. It certainly changed my life. I’ve met people I would never meet. I chat daily with people in other countries, and I get to present news to a large community of fans who love the toys as much as I do.

What have Transformers message boards, or other message boards done for you? Do you think we really have that much influence over pop culture as the article insinuates?

It is certainly interesting to know that in a collective manner, our individual voices are being heard world wide, and in some cases effecting small change in what children and adults now are entertained by, and enjoy.

Want to make a comment? Feel free to check out the article at PC Plus.techradar.com.

Credit(s): PC Plus Magazine

Re: PC Plus Magazine Analyzes Transformers Message Board Phenomenon (1060825)
Posted by 1337W422102 on April 2nd, 2010 @ 8:31am CDT
Does the article mention trolling? :P
Re: PC Plus Magazine Analyzes Transformers Message Board Phenomenon (1060852)
Posted by It Is Him on April 2nd, 2010 @ 10:16am CDT
On the subject of lurking, I've been following fan sites since the Beast Wars days.

I was a Geewunner before it was cool, going so far as to write an angry letter to Marvel (yes, Marvel...) about how Beast Wars sucked (94 I think?). And yes, I came around. Beast Wars was great.

I finally signed up on the Seibertron forums because the members seemed more laid back, that, and it helped me find some sweet toys when I started collecting those.
Re: PC Plus Magazine Analyzes Transformers Message Board Phenomenon (1060861)
Posted by Prime Evil on April 2nd, 2010 @ 11:03am CDT
Re: PC Plus Magazine Analyzes Transformers Message Board Phenomenon (1060993)
Posted by Delicon on April 2nd, 2010 @ 6:59pm CDT
Prime Evil wrote:As much as I cringe at our community, for a majority of the time, I really like everyone here. Especially once we do get to meet up in person. Once you get a chance to talk one on one with somone, it changes your relationship and views of a person, and it's always been for the better. The friends that I have made here at Seibertron have been incredible and amazing. I look forward to Botcon each year just to see my friends that I only get to see once a year and it's so worth it. My first Botcon was for the toys, my subsequent Botcons have been for my friends.

I totally know how you feel, Prime Evil. I've met some good "real life" friends via BotCon. Which reminds me, we really should find an excuse to hang out between now and BotCon being that we live so close.
Re: PC Plus Magazine Analyzes Transformers Message Board Phenomenon (1061675)
Posted by Razorclaw0000 on April 5th, 2010 @ 10:14am CDT
Delicon wrote:

Absolutely!

Although, this time I'm borrowing my wife's car so I don't have to worry about my POS.
Re: PC Plus Magazine Analyzes Transformers Message Board Phenomenon (1061693)
Posted by --B-- on April 5th, 2010 @ 11:29am CDT
Razorclaw0000 wrote:
Delicon wrote:

Absolutely!

Re: PC Plus Magazine Analyzes Transformers Message Board Phenomenon (1061756)
Posted by Delicon on April 5th, 2010 @ 3:07pm CDT
--B-- wrote:Fourthed. Depending on when I can offer up my house if we don't want to hit a bar/resturant, although the food at Winner Cirlce is way better than my house!

My work schedule has become more stable so pretty much any Friday night or Saturday afternoon would work for me. B, are you going to BotCon this year?
Re: PC Plus Magazine Analyzes Transformers Message Board Phenomenon (1061944)
Posted by --B-- on April 6th, 2010 @ 7:17am CDT
Yes I am. This will be my first Botcon, so I am pretty excited. There isn't much I will be looking to buy, other than the exclusives, so it's more about getting away and having a good time than it is bringing back a bunch of stuff.

Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Bumblebee Evolution 3-Pack (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #274 - Pulse Fan Fest 2021
"Pulse Fan Fest 2021"
Posted: Sunday, April 18th, 2021

Buy "Transformers generations Combiner wars Starscream" on EBAY
Buy "Kidrobot Transformers vs. GI Joe Vinyl Lot Snake Eyes, Destro, Scarlet +++" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse: Turbine Thrash Windblade Scout Class New in Package" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers WFC Hasbro Pulse Exclusive Centurion Drone" on EBAY
Buy "Vintage 1986 Transformers G1 Aerialbot AIR RAID TORQUE RIFLE Weapon Nice Shape" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Alternity Suzuki Swift Sport Gold Bug A-03 Goldbug USEd=D" on EBAY
Buy "4 Transformers Figurines Megatron Optimus Prime Autobot Alpha Trion (0023)" on EBAY
Buy "FLAME TOYS Transformers Kkk Tarn Af Action Figure" on EBAY