Peter Cullen To Voice Optimus Prime in Transformers: Prime!

Transformers News: Peter Cullen To Voice Optimus Prime in Transformers: Prime!

Sunday, May 16th, 2010 11:56PM CDT

Categories: Cartoon News, Press Releases, People News
Posted by: Blurrz   Views: 62,488

Advertising Age took the time to sit down with Hasbro concerning Hasbro's new venture with the Discovery Channel - Hub. Among the issues regarding Hasbro's projects and products such as My Little Pony, G.I.Joe and Transformers, Adage is able to get something out of Hasbro concerning the new Transformers cartoon, being Transformers: Prime. To our utmost joy, legendary Transformers voice actor Peter Cullen will be voicing Optimus Prime. Cullen has voiced Optimus Prime in Michael Bay's live action films, as well as the soon to be released Transformers video game War For Cybertron. However this marks the first time Cullen voices Optimus Prime in a cartoon since the end of Generation One. Feel free to check out a snippet of the article below, while the rest can be seen here. .

Some of the Hub's most high-profile shows will be updated versions of well-known Hasbro programs from the 1980s, including "G.I. Joe," "Transformers" and "My Little Pony." The latter is being re-imagined for young girls by "Powerpuff Girls" creator Lauren Faust, while the new "Transformers Prime" will feature the voice of Peter Cullen, the original voice of Optimus Prime from the animated series as well as the Michael Bay-directed feature films. Additionally, "Transformers" feature screenwriters Alex Kurtzman and Robert Orci will act as showrunners. "G.I. Joe Renegades" will spotlight the Joes on the lam from government forces and the agents of Cobra, a storyline that echoes the recent feature film released by Paramount last summer.

Keep it at Seibertron.com - The Ultimate Transformers Resource!
Credit(s): Advertising Age

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Peter Cullen To Voice Optimus Prime in Transformers: Prime! (1075159)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 17th, 2010 @ 12:06am CDT
Well, this just opens a whole other world of questions. :-B

Still glad to hear that he's back, though. :APPLAUSE:
Re: Peter Cullen To Voice Optimus Prime in Transformers: Prime! (1075160)
Posted by Evil_the_Nub on May 17th, 2010 @ 12:18am CDT
Well that's just Prime.

Come on someone had to say it.
Re: Peter Cullen To Voice Optimus Prime in Transformers: Prime! (1075162)
Posted by Supreme Convoy on May 17th, 2010 @ 12:30am CDT
I wholeheartedly approve.
Re: Peter Cullen To Voice Optimus Prime in Transformers: Prime! (1075163)
Posted by Editor on May 17th, 2010 @ 12:34am CDT
My thoughts when reading this article in order.

1) Cullen is Prime again. :grin: that is good news.

2) "Powerpuff Girls" creator Lauren Faust Say what???? PPG was created by Craig McCracken. While Faust is married to him, and worked on the show, she was not the creater.
Re: Peter Cullen To Voice Optimus Prime in Transformers: Prime! (1075165)
Posted by Optimus_Prime007 on May 17th, 2010 @ 12:40am CDT
I am glad, im just interested in what direction the show will take.

also when does the Hub come out?
Re: Peter Cullen To Voice Optimus Prime in Transformers: Prime! (1075166)
Posted by Name_Violation on May 17th, 2010 @ 12:50am CDT
This is the only good thing thats happened all day
Re: Peter Cullen To Voice Optimus Prime in Transformers: Prime! (1075170)
Posted by Naked Magnus on May 17th, 2010 @ 1:25am CDT
I think I just peed my pants.
Re: Peter Cullen To Voice Optimus Prime in Transformers: Prime! (1075175)
Posted by Mechastrike on May 17th, 2010 @ 2:23am CDT
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! :APPLAUSE:
Re: Peter Cullen To Voice Optimus Prime in Transformers: Prime! (1075176)
Posted by ShGarland_1383 on May 17th, 2010 @ 2:54am CDT
Evil_the_Nub wrote:Well that's just Prime.

Come on someone had to say it.

Yes, Nub. Someone had to say it. Because it is. It is just Prime.

About frakin' time, too. Cullen and Gary Chalk are the two best people to pick up the role, IMO.
Re: Peter Cullen To Voice Optimus Prime in Transformers: Prime! (1075177)
Posted by Burn on May 17th, 2010 @ 2:57am CDT

Oh well. Poop happens.
Re: Peter Cullen To Voice Optimus Prime in Transformers: Prime! (1075178)
Posted by Diem on May 17th, 2010 @ 3:01am CDT
Burn wrote:Yeah see, I just get this bad feeling now that this cartoon is going to be a huge fanwank, rehashing old stuff, and not really doing much for the fandom.

Oh well. Poop happens.
Agreed so hard.
Re: Peter Cullen To Voice Optimus Prime in Transformers: Prime! (1075180)
Posted by Doubledealer93 on May 17th, 2010 @ 3:20am CDT
in my opinion this is the first good news about the show that i have heard! awesome! :APPLAUSE:
Re: Peter Cullen To Voice Optimus Prime in Transformers: Prime! (1075185)
Posted by gigazarak on May 17th, 2010 @ 4:42am CDT
Diem wrote:

Oh well. Poop happens.
Agreed so hard.

I tend to agree too. It's nice to hear that Cullen will be back, if only for nostalgia reasons, but it really could be an indication that they are just going to be treading over old material/ideas/themes, just like the toys at the moment, with repaint after repaint, there just seems to be an absence of interesting stuff in the TF universe at the moment. Is anyone else underwhelmed with it all recently? Or is it just me?

On a related note, TFA was really slavishly G1 (and threw healthy does of Beast Wars in there too), but it still managed to do some interesting stuff with it all, initially fans decried it as a crock and too toony (some still do, good for them), and I must admit, I was skeptical at first too, but it really blew me away with great story-telling, and solid characterizations. So heres hoping that Alex Kurtzman and Robert Orci can give Cullen and others some good stories to work with. Give us DCAU quality stuff guys! Like Batman:The Animated Series!, Batman Beyond, and Justice League Unlimited! Can you imagine something like that for TF? It would blow my tiny mind...
Re: Peter Cullen To Voice Optimus Prime in Transformers: Prime! (1075187)
Posted by Burn on May 17th, 2010 @ 4:54am CDT
gigazarak wrote:So heres hoping that Alex Kurtzman and Robert Orci can give Cullen and others some good stories to work with.

We're doomed.
Re: Peter Cullen To Voice Optimus Prime in Transformers: Prime! (1075188)
Posted by Oilspill on May 17th, 2010 @ 4:56am CDT
gigazarak wrote:
Diem wrote:

Oh well. Poop happens.
Agreed so hard.

Seriously guys, jumping to conclusions a little aren't we? All we know is the voice director picked Peter Cullen for Prime.. which since he was Prime in the recent movies, and games, is not a surprising choice, and certainly not a solid indication that the series will be just a rehash of G1.

Personally I'm more worried that Kurtzman and Orci are involved after their efforts with ROTF. As much as Michael Bay may have added his own touches to it, it was still terrible in terms of plot and character development, and some of that has to have been their doing.

Anyway, back on topic, I'll certainly be happy to hear Cullen as Prime in cartoon form again. He is the most iconic voice of Optimus after all.
Re: Peter Cullen To Voice Optimus Prime in Transformers: Prime! (1075189)
Posted by Mindmaster on May 17th, 2010 @ 5:05am CDT
Rejoice, for the LORD is near! :lol: Can't wait to see the advertisement and toys! :BOOM:
Re: Peter Cullen To Voice Optimus Prime in Transformers: Prime! (1075190)
Posted by cannonfodder4000 on May 17th, 2010 @ 5:06am CDT
again i was kinda hoping garry would do it. . .

but this is great news too! :D
Re: Peter Cullen To Voice Optimus Prime in Transformers: Prime! (1075195)
Posted by Diem on May 17th, 2010 @ 5:24am CDT
Oilspill wrote:
gigazarak wrote:
Diem wrote:

Oh well. Poop happens.
Agreed so hard.

I'm really getting sick of the same characters getting trotted out over and over.

If it does turn out to be different I'll be both very pleased and very surprised. I really hope they can do something new.
Re: Peter Cullen To Voice Optimus Prime in Transformers: Prime! (1075197)
Posted by Oilspill on May 17th, 2010 @ 5:43am CDT
Diem wrote:Well, we already know it has Prime and Bumblebee and I'll bet any amount of money that it has Megatron and Starscream too. The Autobots will arrive on Earth and befriend the locals, Starscream will stab Megatron in the back, Prime and Megatron will battle at the end while spouting philosophy at each other...

Fair enough, each to his own my good man. For me, it wouldn't be Transformers without Prime or Megatron. They, and the myriad of other characters are Transformers for me. If I wanted all new transforming robots I could just go watch GaoGaiGar or some Gundam anime.

To see a show focus on some side characters, in much the same way as Wreckers does in the comics, would be really cool, but I doubt this is commercially viable.

Personally, I'd like to see the same characters, but hope that they can tell good stories with them (and new stories). My hopes are not high that this will happen, as I fear this may be a movie-verse based cartoon, but there still is hope.
Re: Peter Cullen To Voice Optimus Prime in Transformers: Prime! (1075200)
Posted by Cheetron on May 17th, 2010 @ 5:58am CDT
I am holding back any excitement until I find out if we actually get this channel on the current tv plan. I'm waiting to see it turn out like Nicktoons - Upgrade to the maximum priced package to get.

I do hope this is going to be a good show.

Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Costanza Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Clobber" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #232 - NYCC 2019
"NYCC 2019"
Posted: Sunday, October 6th, 2019

Buy "TRANSFORMERS MEGATRON Dark Of The Moon DOTM Cyberverse Commander Class Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Crosscut Thrilling 30 100% Complete Deluxe Generations Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "Chromia Thrilling 30 100% Complete Deluxe Generations Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "Ironhide 100% Complete Cyberverse Commander Prime Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "Starscream 100% Complete Cyberverse Commander Prime Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "Bulkhead 100% Complete Cyberverse Commander Prime Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "Dreadwing 100% Complete Cyberverse Commander Prime Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers The Last Knight Movie Premier Edition Raptor Figure - Dinobot Slash" on EBAY