Preview of IDW M.A.S.K. Annual 2017

Transformers News: Preview of IDW M.A.S.K. Annual 2017

Tuesday, March 14th, 2017 4:39AM CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 23,039

Similarly to the Crown Jewel of the Hasbro Universe, M.A.S.K. is part of this new shared world over on at IDW Publishing, and the technology they use is part of Cybertronian tech too - and there is a special robot guest in the 2017 annual of the Mobile Armored Strike Kommand team, and art by Transformers stars Andrew Griffith and JP Bove. Check out a preview below, and check our database if you're curious about the series!

M.A.S.K.: Mobile Armored Strike Kommand Annual #1
David A. Rodriguez (w) • Andrew Griffith (a & c)
The M.A.S.K and G.I. Joe teams are put to the ultimate test as they join forces in a desperate, world-spanning, quest to keep V.E.N.O.M from harnessing the power of a stolen meteorite before its strange power can be used to dominate the world!
FC • 48 pages • $7.99

Bullet points:
The Annual Offensive is here!
Re-imagining the original television pilot, “The Deathstone”, for the new comic book age!
The origin of Cliff Dagger revealed!

Transformers News: Preview of IDW M.A.S.K. Annual 2017

Transformers News: Preview of IDW M.A.S.K. Annual 2017

Transformers News: Preview of IDW M.A.S.K. Annual 2017

Transformers News: Preview of IDW M.A.S.K. Annual 2017

Transformers News: Preview of IDW M.A.S.K. Annual 2017

Transformers News: Preview of IDW M.A.S.K. Annual 2017

Transformers News: Preview of IDW M.A.S.K. Annual 2017
Credit(s): IDW
Re: Preview of IDW M.A.S.K. Annual 2017 (1866424)
Posted by ScottyP on March 14th, 2017 @ 6:23am CDT
TCJHU? I chuckled, well done :MATTEL:
Re: Preview of IDW M.A.S.K. Annual 2017 (1866426)
Posted by Randomhero on March 14th, 2017 @ 6:48am CDT
Well it's nice to see Astrotrain made it back to Esther alive...kinda...sorta...maybe
Re: Preview of IDW M.A.S.K. Annual 2017 (1866434)
Posted by YoungPrime on March 14th, 2017 @ 8:12am CDT
..........I hate these Transformer crossovers with books that only have humans. The premise is always the same.

-Heroic Autobots going out of their way to save stupid, ungrateful, humans.

-Decepticons with ongoing connection with humans become big dumb oafs who have turned a new leaf.

OR

-Sunstreaker, Ramjet, Dirge, Blitzwing, SkyWarp and now Astrotrain becoming some uninteresting human Tyrant or boring team of human's new pet weapon's plot, in order to...blah, blah, blah!

I get that it's Earth and you can't rule out humans completely but this was crap that put people off during Costa's era, making RID and MTMTE based on cybertron and outer space a breath of fresh air.

Now they're back on Earth and overdoing it with crossovers with human characters I couldn't care less about killing or picking apart popular Autobots and Decepticons characters I actually do like!
Re: Preview of IDW M.A.S.K. Annual 2017 (1866436)
Posted by Kurona on March 14th, 2017 @ 8:22am CDT
To be fair Sunstorm died on Cybertron. Shame, really.

And while I generally share the same view a lot of the time, I actually feel that RiD/Transformers/OP is handling things in a very interesting way since there are humans who are legitimately in favour of Optimus and the Autobots... and those that do have concerns mostly have them for very good reasons considering both AHM and the sort of person Optimus has become and is becoming.

The biggest problem has been just how forceful the Revolution event was, but I think OP has handled it in the best way so far - essentially just using G.I.Joe as a way to give some identity to the military that inevitably gets involved; and absorbing their own staple human characters (Talon, Spike etc.) into those G.I. Joe ranks along with a couple actually established Joes. It makes it feel less like a forced crossover and more just, "this is what our military interacting with Optimus is like now and you can find out more about them in their own book".

Re: Preview of IDW M.A.S.K. Annual 2017 (1866437)
Posted by Va'al on March 14th, 2017 @ 8:25am CDT
Kurona wrote:At least it doesn't feel the need to have Jetfire or Stormclash say "Look, guys! We've got the CROWN JEWEL OF THE HASBRO UNIVERSE incoming!"

Just you wait.
Re: Preview of IDW M.A.S.K. Annual 2017 (1866451)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 14th, 2017 @ 9:11am CDT
Va'al wrote:We may not be offering full coverage of the Hasbro Universe over at IDW,
Thankfully we have the IDW Hasbro Wiki to help out with that. ;)^
Re: Preview of IDW M.A.S.K. Annual 2017 (1866459)
Posted by Amelie on March 14th, 2017 @ 9:55am CDT

Though I'm of a similar disposition when it comes to a lot of other comic books as well - once things become a cooking pot of several titles it just feels like any suspension of disbelief gets tossed out the window as a merry-go-round of heroes carousel around the story.[/color]
Re: Preview of IDW M.A.S.K. Annual 2017 (1866464)
Posted by YoungPrime on March 14th, 2017 @ 10:24am CDT
Amelie wrote:[color=deeppink]I can't say I'm at all happy about the whole Hasbro Universe being one thing. I really have an intense dislike for ROM, M.A.S.K and Micronauts and can't say I'm in love with GI Joe enough to want it in my Transformers, either.

This!!!!

;)^
Re: Preview of IDW M.A.S.K. Annual 2017 (1866485)
Posted by Va'al on March 14th, 2017 @ 11:42am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Thankfully we have the IDW Hasbro Wiki to help out with that. ;)^

You misunderstand. We have a database with everything in it, I just cannot be arsed to review all of it because it really isn't good enough to warrant it.

It's just not worth any effort.
Re: Preview of IDW M.A.S.K. Annual 2017 (1866514)
Posted by jogunwarrior on March 14th, 2017 @ 1:03pm CDT
I haven't read an IDW GI Joe comic in a long time and this preview reminds me why. Utter garbage.
Re: Preview of IDW M.A.S.K. Annual 2017 (1866527)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on March 14th, 2017 @ 1:46pm CDT

I also agree with the HU stuff. I don't like GI Joe much, have no interest in Micronauts, ROM, or MASK, and they still have Blitzwing, Skywarp, and now Astrotain. lame.
Re: Preview of IDW M.A.S.K. Annual 2017 (1866529)
Posted by Kurona on March 14th, 2017 @ 1:54pm CDT
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:Well, somehow Astrotrain's head made it back. funny how the head has become the popular thing to find nowadays.

To be fair those three are essentially bit-players.

Oh, sure, they were always on Megatron's main little squad; but they never really got any focus or character. For what it's worth, MASK and GI Joe might as well have gotten Rippersnapper or Slog or G2 Volt.
Re: Preview of IDW M.A.S.K. Annual 2017 (1866530)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on March 14th, 2017 @ 1:56pm CDT
Kurona wrote:

To be fair those three are essentially bit-players.

Yeah, but Skywarp was getting a decent background storyline throughout the RiD season 2, Astrotrain is my favorite G1 con, and Blitzwing is still just strung up. I want them back with the Transformers, not in the other stories, because I just don't care for those stories.

I am thoroughly enjoying Revolutionaries though, mainly cause of Action man and Kup
Re: Preview of IDW M.A.S.K. Annual 2017 (1866544)
Posted by Targetmaster Kup on March 14th, 2017 @ 3:01pm CDT
Astrotrain's head? Ok, I'm in. I'll be buying this one.
Re: Preview of IDW M.A.S.K. Annual 2017 (1866566)
Posted by Microraptor on March 14th, 2017 @ 6:44pm CDT
Could this relate to headmasters in some way?
Re: Preview of IDW M.A.S.K. Annual 2017 (1866596)
Posted by Soundwave902 on March 14th, 2017 @ 9:59pm CDT
Microraptor wrote:Could this relate to headmasters in some way?

Most likely relates to the Titan Masters
Re: Preview of IDW M.A.S.K. Annual 2017 (1866600)
Posted by Ebonyleopard on March 14th, 2017 @ 10:20pm CDT
When MASK does a better job GI Joeing than GI JOE.
Re: Preview of IDW M.A.S.K. Annual 2017 (1866637)
Posted by Va'al on March 15th, 2017 @ 5:29am CDT
Ebonyleopard wrote:When MASK does a better job GI Joeing than GI JOE.

Ha!
Re: Preview of IDW M.A.S.K. Annual 2017 (1866641)
Posted by lowman_x on March 15th, 2017 @ 5:47am CDT
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:
Kurona wrote:

To be fair those three are essentially bit-players.

Wait. They have Skywarp? Who has Skywarp? How and when did they get Skywarp?

So now that's two triple changers gathered by the humans. I wonder if that's coincidence?
Re: Preview of IDW M.A.S.K. Annual 2017 (1866645)
Posted by Kurona on March 15th, 2017 @ 6:05am CDT
lowman_x wrote:
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:
Kurona wrote:

To be fair those three are essentially bit-players.

Wait. They have Skywarp? Who has Skywarp? How and when did they get Skywarp?

Skywarp turncoated and agreed to help Blackrock escape in one of the last issues of Transformers (before the OP name change) likely because of extreme abuse from Galvatron but not wanting to go over to the Autobots and/or Soundwave. He was secured as an 'asset' of the government and promptly picked up by G.I. Joe where he now [strike]cameos[/strike] [strike]shows up occasionally[/strike] [strike]really feels like he's only there and given a couple token panels to give the illusion of a wider universe[/strike] stars in their book; working with them in exchange for getting his Teleportation power working properly again.
Transformers products from AMAZON

Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #208 - Everyone Gets Counterpunched
"Everyone Gets Counterpunched"
Posted: Sunday, September 23rd, 2018
Transformers products from EBAY

Items Ending Soon

Buy "Transformers Age of Extinction Deluxe Class Strafe & Lockdown & Snarl & Hot Shot" on EBAY
Buy "NIB Transformers Generations Predacon Voyager Class Sky-Byte (2014)" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Tomy Q Transformers QT29 Starscream Figure?F/S" on EBAY
Buy "Action Man 4" Figure Revolutions Loose Complete GI Joe Transformers SDCC 2017" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers The Last Knight Optimus Prime 12" Statue Phone Dock iPhone Galaxy" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Revenge Of The Fallen DEVASTATOR SCAVENGER READ 2009" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers #1 Robots in Disguise RI-A Gatefold Variant IDW 2012 Bumblebee" on EBAY
Buy "SDCC 2010 Exclusive Hasbro Might Muggs Transformers Prowl" on EBAY