Price Increases at Target

Price Increases at Target

Friday, July 10th, 2009 1:12pm CDT

Categories: Toy News, Company News
Posted by: Mkall   Views: 14,878

bumble_bee_68 has let us know of a price increase in several classes of Transformers at his local Target.

Is this increase local or nation-wide? Is this a Target-mandated raise or a Hasbro-one? Is this a temporary thing, to take advantage of ROTF's popularity or a permanent one?

Time will tell.

Price Increases at Target
Price Increases at Target
Price Increases at Target

Credit(s): bumble_bee_68

Re: Price Increases at Target (952345)
Posted by Editor on July 10th, 2009 @ 1:17pm CDT
Mkall wrote:Wow, those prices are now on par with their CDN equivalents

Wow, I had the exact same thought seeing those.

To our dear American friends, Welcome to our world.
Re: Price Increases at Target (952351)
Posted by Omega Charge on July 10th, 2009 @ 1:29pm CDT
I'm not paying 50 bucks a Leader now, unless it's really good. Hopefully this isn't going to be a permanent change nationwide in all stores.

Will have to have a tighter grip on my wallet.
Re: Price Increases at Target (952352)
Posted by Jacob P. Galvatron on July 10th, 2009 @ 1:30pm CDT
Whoa!
I hope my targets don't have raised prices!
Dang.
Re: Price Increases at Target (952354)
Posted by Nekoman on July 10th, 2009 @ 1:32pm CDT
Editor wrote:
Mkall wrote:Wow, those prices are now on par with their CDN equivalents

Wow, I had the exact same thought seeing those.

To our dear American friends, Welcome to our world.

This is probably just Target.

One less reason to shop at that sucky store .
Re: Price Increases at Target (952355)
Posted by Dead Metal on July 10th, 2009 @ 1:33pm CDT
Almost welcome to the rest of the world US friends.
Re: Price Increases at Target (952361)
Posted by Autobot032 on July 10th, 2009 @ 1:42pm CDT
That's a shocker, actually. I don't think I've seen prices that high before. (K-Mart, K-B, and TRU generally have/had high prices, I don't count them.)

Oddly, Target usually hits prices like $45.99 while Wal-Mart's at $44.88 or whatever. A difference of anywhere between 5-20 cents, tops.

But to see dollars as the difference...wow.

That's more expensive than the MSRP. =\
Re: Price Increases at Target (952374)
Posted by JediTray on July 10th, 2009 @ 2:05pm CDT
Sheesus....

That's a real smart move, with the economy in the toilet and all. Who the F**K do they think they are? I will try to get out to a couple targets in my area soon. Hopefully this is not a nationwide trend, and the prices bumble_bee_68 found are some local, VERY temporary fluke.

-JT
Re: Price Increases at Target (952381)
Posted by Sabrblade on July 10th, 2009 @ 2:30pm CDT
Glad I got Superion before this happened.
Re: Price Increases at Target (952387)
Posted by Tekka on July 10th, 2009 @ 2:35pm CDT
Dead Metal wrote:Almost welcome to the rest of the world US friends.

Hey, remember when Voyagers were $40? Those were the days.
Re: Price Increases at Target (952391)
Posted by Editor on July 10th, 2009 @ 2:42pm CDT
Something for our American friends to consider.

Hasbro has said that prices would be going up. The prices you are seeing are bringing your prices more in line with what the rest of us have been paying for years.

In the states, this hasn't been as big a deal because you were trumping the rest of us in the sheer volume of fans in the continental 48. With the combined factors of production, material costs going up, and the economy reducing the amount of units being sold, this should be coming of no surprise.
Re: Price Increases at Target (952405)
Posted by Sonic Wing on July 10th, 2009 @ 2:57pm CDT
yikes...good thing i bought my leader prime with discount at TRU =], it was 40 bucks ^_^
Re: Price Increases at Target (952406)
Posted by Doubledealer93 on July 10th, 2009 @ 2:57pm CDT
damn it! that sucks. well better start saving for jet fire.
Re: Price Increases at Target (952411)
Posted by Solrac333 on July 10th, 2009 @ 3:04pm CDT
What the hell?! Good thing I just used my 20% coupons and got my two leaders yesterday. Should have gotten them last week when they were all on sale. :-x
Re: Price Increases at Target (952413)
Posted by Counterpunch on July 10th, 2009 @ 3:08pm CDT
Guess I won't be buying from Target if this holds true.

Oh well.
Re: Price Increases at Target (952414)
Posted by skywarp-2 on July 10th, 2009 @ 3:09pm CDT
that sucks! I went to K-mart and Prime was 49.99 not 44.99 like at Wal-Mart.. not sure what the target here has them priced as.. I will check it out here when I got get my paycheck and cash it..I will update once I find out..
Re: Price Increases at Target (952424)
Posted by Son of Primus on July 10th, 2009 @ 3:16pm CDT
I do not think this is a nationwide thing, a search of Target's online store - and store search revealed RoTF Optimus Prime to be $44.89, Voyager class figures were $21.99, and Deluxe figures were $11.89. A call to the store near me (New Jersey) revealed that these were indeed the prices they were charging. So, if you live in the Essex County area of New Jersey ... you're safe.
Re: Price Increases at Target (952440)
Posted by Zeds on July 10th, 2009 @ 3:40pm CDT
Mkall wrote:Wow, those prices are now on par with their CDN equivalents

I was going to say the same thing. This is a sign of a weak $US when retailers bought the figures months ago. The $US has since recovered but retailers cannot absorb the difference.
Re: Price Increases at Target (952448)
Posted by Universe on July 10th, 2009 @ 3:48pm CDT
Shame, really. Most the scout class toys are hardly worth $5 let alone the new $10 fee after taxes. :shock: :?
Re: Price Increases at Target (952460)
Posted by Powersa on July 10th, 2009 @ 4:04pm CDT
Target frequently throws sales...like a couple of weeks ago I got $32 Leader and $7 deluxes after coupon. Generally the prices have been increasing but I'm actually paying less than what I was paying back in 2007, $40 Leader and $10 deluxes, if you could find them in stores.

Not to mention stuff goes on clearance at Target very often. I recently bought a Universe Ultra for $6. I know someone who got Animated Mangus for $10. Wal-Mart and K-Mart wait a long time before they put TFs on clearance. TRU? nah.
Re: Price Increases at Target (952481)
Posted by Agent 007 on July 10th, 2009 @ 4:32pm CDT
damn luckly I just need Jolt and Longhaul and I got all three leaders ($50 jeeze) This was a really bad move on hasbro or target's part. With familes saving money and getting tigher budgets a price hike is the last thing stores need. Now things are going to sit on the shelves even longer. I hope this is only in certain areas or is only temp cause prices are already high enough.

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #273 - Our Way to Oblivion
"Our Way to Oblivion"
Posted: Tuesday, April 6th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Generations Deluxe Chromia Comic New MIB NIB MOC 2014" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers - Bumblebee Cyberverse Adventures Megatron & Grimlock - NIB!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cybertron Voyager Vector Prime 2005 and Cybertron Buzzsaw" on EBAY
Buy "New Transformers Takara Legends LG36 Soundwave" on EBAY
Buy "SCOURGE! Transformers Titans Return! Deluxe Class, Brand New!" on EBAY
Buy "Botcon 2013 TRANSFORMERS Machine Wars G1 Rainmakers Hotlink Single Exclusive" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Titans Return Titan Master Skytread New Sealed" on EBAY
Buy "ThreeZero Studio ThreeA 3A Transformers Bumblebee Movie  DLX Diecast BLITZWING" on EBAY