Review of IDW Revolutionaries #4

Review of IDW Revolutionaries #4

Tuesday, June 6th, 2017 3:59pm CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, Reviews, Site Articles
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 17,184

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

Iron Filings
(Spoiler free-ish)



Synopsis
Cobra Commander vs. Hearts of Steel! Thousands of years ago, a starship crashed on Earth—and the Hearts of Steel Transformers were born… but how can these steampunk Cybertronians be real?! And what does Cobra Commander want with them, when he hasn’t even got Cobra to back him up? The Revolutionaries have uncovered one of the darkest and most incredible secrets on Earth!

Transformers News: Review of IDW Revolutionaries #4
But actually also none of that


Story

Keeping with my regular lateness on the non-core Transformers titles from IDW - much like IDW itself really, all things considered - this review of Revolutionaries happens a couple of weeks after the book's release, but still worth having here given the arrival of First Strike and a LOT of references to TF lore so far. Also note: the synopsis is, in fact, for issue 5.

Transformers News: Review of IDW Revolutionaries #4
Hey Costa run!


In issue 4, there's more Iron than a gym full of anaemia-battling robots, with an array of GI Joe villains showing up to play the part of 'super evil bad guys' working behind the scenes of everything we've seen so far, and to continue some of the storylines from that book in its more recent IDW incarnation.

Transformers News: Review of IDW Revolutionaries #4
Iron.. Who?


But what this issue is also brimming with, is allusions and references to some very early TF stories from IDW runs, including International Incident and the personal issues with Kup after his Spotlight and the Coda to All Hail Megatron, and not just in passing, but woven into the fabric of the story from continuity and dialogue perspectives. In John Barber we still trust.

Art

Fico Ossio returns to bring the more dynamic, if not indeed flexible, and softer lineart for the issue - and the Predacons take on some different guises than previously seen. Overall, however, the action scenes can be followed easily, there isn't too much overcrowding, the panels flow, and the only moment things are a little unclear may also be due to the script.

Transformers News: Review of IDW Revolutionaries #4
And this is a Good Panel™


Reuniting the dynamic duo, colourist Sebastian Cheng brings the usual gloss to the lineart, but this time round, I was able to appreciate the shading and different use of lighting in some of the panel compositions, thanks to the fire theme brought on by the highly theatrical villains of the week month, too.

Transformers News: Review of IDW Revolutionaries #4
Toasty


Instead of the usual caption devices, we have a slight twist to how it's employed allowing Tom B. Long to make the most of it and the multiple soundwords spread across the book during the numerous fights. As for the covers, I have highlighted, in the thumbnail, the Tone Rodriguez and Thomas Teyowisonte Deer variant; all others are easily accessible via our database page (along with full character roster too, here),

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

Despite the healthy dose of exposition - and believe me, a lot of it in this issue - the pacing worked well, and all the recapping that takes place actually covers up some holes in various storylines, from Cobra to the Predacons, and follows up on previous characterisations of a number of characters with tact and precision, really.

Transformers News: Review of IDW Revolutionaries #4
Movie cameo! Oh, Barber..


This is also probably the clearest the visuals have been in a while, with Ossio and Cheng working together nicely on layouts within the panels too, and reinforcing the feeling that Revolution was indeed too early for its times and the books involved. Plus, Predaking looks great. Different, sure, but good. And as always - the book has humour. Like, actually funny moments. Do not underestimate this part.

. :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: out of :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO:

Credit(s): IDW


News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: Review of IDW Revolutionaries #4 (1887629)
Posted by ScottyP on June 7th, 2017 @ 9:03am CDT
Agreed on the visuals, definitely avoided the cluttered feel I got from some of their other work.

Just a short PSA: if you read this series and pick up the Hasbro Heroes Sourcebook today, avoid the bios for Centurion and Atomic Man as these spoil big chunks of upcoming Revolutionaries issues! To be fair to the editors, Rev 6 was supposed to be out in June, but here we are with 5 coming out next week.
Re: Review of IDW Revolutionaries #4 (1887634)
Posted by Big Grim on June 7th, 2017 @ 9:49am CDT
Centurion? Not heard that name alongside Transformers since G1 Marvel UK! I loved the design of that Mechanoid!
Re: Review of IDW Revolutionaries #4 (1887644)
Posted by o.supreme on June 7th, 2017 @ 10:32am CDT
ScottyP wrote:Just a short PSA: if you read this series and pick up the Hasbro Heroes Sourcebook today, avoid the bios for Centurion and Atomic Man as these spoil big chunks of upcoming Revolutionaries issues! To be fair to the editors, Rev 6 7 was supposed to be out in June, but here we are with 5 coming out next week.


Corrected to be accurate, yes they are THAT far behind. Also its kind of sad...after years of wanting another sourcebook, specific to all the TF characters (more specifically Japanese characters and newly created ones since the DW one came out). We finally get this...

Now I'm not complaining that it is including GI Joe, MASK, Action Man etc.... However, Transformers itself had well over 300 entries in the original DW 8 issue series which covered pretty much every North American toy based character from 1984-1991. GI Joe alone has probably just as many characters. I don't see this sourcebook being as extensive as it should be. Each series should have dedicated sourcebooks so that fans can pick-and choose which ones they like, or all if they so choose. Having this one mish-mash covering only a few of the characters from each series seems quite a wasted effort.
Re: Review of IDW Revolutionaries #4 (1887681)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on June 7th, 2017 @ 12:54pm CDT
Big Grim wrote:Centurion? Not heard that name alongside Transformers since G1 Marvel UK! I loved the design of that Mechanoid!

Yes, Centurion was established as the name of the Hearts of Steel Bumblebee-looking guy who may or may not BE Hearts of Steel Bumblebee. So, not really the same character.
Re: Review of IDW Revolutionaries #4 (1887727)
Posted by Kurona on June 7th, 2017 @ 3:48pm CDT
o.supreme wrote:
ScottyP wrote:Just a short PSA: if you read this series and pick up the Hasbro Heroes Sourcebook today, avoid the bios for Centurion and Atomic Man as these spoil big chunks of upcoming Revolutionaries issues! To be fair to the editors, Rev 6 7 was supposed to be out in June, but here we are with 5 coming out next week.


Corrected to be accurate, yes they are THAT far behind. Also its kind of sad...after years of wanting another sourcebook, specific to all the TF characters (more specifically Japanese characters and newly created ones since the DW one came out). We finally get this...

Now I'm not complaining that it is including GI Joe, MASK, Action Man etc.... However, Transformers itself had well over 300 entries in the original DW 8 issue series which covered pretty much every North American toy based character from 1984-1991. GI Joe alone has probably just as many characters. I don't see this sourcebook being as extensive as it should be. Each series should have dedicated sourcebooks so that fans can pick-and choose which ones they like, or all if they so choose. Having this one mish-mash covering only a few of the characters from each series seems quite a wasted effort.

Except unlike the Dreamwave sourcebook, this one doesn't seek to give bios on the entire universe's character set nor is it centred around Transformers. The entire point is a focus on the expanded Hasbro universe and the characters that have had specific fictional focus within it (aside from the books that haven't had anything to do with the extended Hasbro universe; like Lost Light and Sins of the Wreckers). You are coming at it from a completely different premise and judging it unfairly because it's not what you personally wanted.

For what it is, this Sourcebook is excellent. It gives you a good reminder of major players within the universe, ties everything in in ways you might not have thought of, has a good sense of humour (that DOC, Buster and Bob page is pure beauty), and in general is just a good fact file.
Re: Review of IDW Revolutionaries #4 (1887904)
Posted by Big Grim on June 8th, 2017 @ 8:20am CDT
Daniel Adkins wrote:
Big Grim wrote:Centurion? Not heard that name alongside Transformers since G1 Marvel UK! I loved the design of that Mechanoid!

Yes, Centurion was established as the name of the Hearts of Steel Bumblebee-looking guy who may or may not BE Hearts of Steel Bumblebee. So, not really the same character.

Ah, okay. Interesting to hear! Cheers!
Re: Review of IDW Revolutionaries #4 (1888274)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on June 9th, 2017 @ 1:28pm CDT
http://www.comiccrusaders.com/exclusive ... onaries-5/

The full preview for issue 5 is out.
Re: Review of IDW Revolutionaries #4 (1888286)
Posted by Targetmaster Kup on June 9th, 2017 @ 2:11pm CDT
Daniel Adkins wrote:http://www.comiccrusaders.com/exclusive-preview-revolutionaries-5/

The full preview for issue 5 is out.


THis makes it clear, to anyone who was doubting, that Centurion is Hearts of Steel Bumblebee.
Re: Review of IDW Revolutionaries #4 (1888289)
Posted by Va'al on June 9th, 2017 @ 2:16pm CDT
Fellow Seibertronian Daniel Adkins has spotted the first of several expected full previews on ComicCrusaders for next week's releases from IDW Publishing: Revolutionaries #5! Featuring art by both Fico Ossio / Sebastian Cheng and Guido Guidi, the five pages can be seen below - check them out, and head back for a review on Seibertron.com after the book is released.

M.A.S.K. vs. the ATOMIC MAN! The Revolutionaries uncover the deep, dark secret of Mike Power, the Atomic Man—and enlist the help of M.A.S.K. to bring in the long-lost agent! But there’s more to Power’s story than anyone imagined, in the oddest story of 2017!


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Re: Review of IDW Revolutionaries #4 (1888307)
Posted by Lore Keeper on June 9th, 2017 @ 3:28pm CDT
Hearts of Steel and Beast Wars? My inner child is jumping for joy! I have a very strong feeling this is how they're going to introduce Optimus Primal into the story.
Re: Review of IDW Revolutionaries #4 (1888357)
Posted by Silverwing on June 9th, 2017 @ 7:10pm CDT
Wait, is that one of the O parts from RID on the ship?
Re: Review of IDW Revolutionaries #4 (1888358)
Posted by Kurona on June 9th, 2017 @ 7:12pm CDT
Silverwing wrote:Wait, is that one of the O parts from RID on the ship?

Nope - unless the resemblance is intentional; this is in fact the Talisman that has been featured throughout the entire Revolutionaries series.
Re: Review of IDW Revolutionaries #4 (1888448)
Posted by Windsweeper on June 10th, 2017 @ 2:21am CDT
Very interesting. At first glance that crew resemble Ironhide, Prowl, Bumblebee (or Bugbite).

Domitus resembles Big Convoy, I think that was the mammoth's name in Beast Wars and the guy with the Ratchet looking head's colour scheme reminds me of Clench or Tarantulus.

I wonder who they are?
Re: Review of IDW Revolutionaries #4 (1888455)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on June 10th, 2017 @ 3:54am CDT
Windsweeper wrote:Very interesting. At first glance that crew resemble Ironhide, Prowl, Bumblebee (or Bugbite).

Domitus resembles Big Convoy, I think that was the mammoth's name in Beast Wars and the guy with the Ratchet looking head's colour scheme reminds me of Clench or Tarantulus.

I wonder who they are?

Have you read the miniseries Hearts of Steel?
Re: Review of IDW Revolutionaries #4 (1888879)
Posted by o.supreme on June 12th, 2017 @ 9:22am CDT
In a way this kind of makes sense. Since IDW's inception 11 1/2 years ago, They have had the main "New" Transformers Universe. They have also had comics for the movie verse, and tie-in comics for TFA, and several series for the aligned continuity (FOC, TFP, BH etc...) Even a 2 issue GI Joe/TF crossover (Prior to the Hasbroverse). And a separate continuity for BW.

But Hearst of Steel was always an oddity. Unfortunately no other "alternate" universe stories were ever published, so I guess it makes sense to retcon it into the main continuity somehow.

I wonder though...because I collect the individual issues, and not the TPB's, I like to sort my comics by chronological reading order

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Transformers_(IDW_Publishing)#Chronological_Comic_Order

I wonder where Hearts of Steel will eventually officially be placed? I guess its not a big deal at the moment since all my comic books are in storage, but eventually I'll have to take that 4 issue series out of my "Miscellaneous" collection and file it in somewhere with the main IDW continuity.
Re: Review of IDW Revolutionaries #4 (1888882)
Posted by Targetmaster Kup on June 12th, 2017 @ 9:28am CDT
It would go after Spotlight: Shockwave. Ask PrimusPrime22@gmail.com to share his continuity doc with you.
Re: Review of IDW Revolutionaries #4 (1888883)
Posted by Targetmaster Kup on June 12th, 2017 @ 9:30am CDT
Screenshot_2017-06-12-09-29-23.png
Re: Review of IDW Revolutionaries #4 (1888884)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on June 12th, 2017 @ 9:36am CDT
o.supreme wrote:In a way this kind of makes sense. Since IDW's inception 11 1/2 years ago, They have had the main "New" Transformers Universe. They have also had comics for the movie verse, and tie-in comics for TFA, and several series for the aligned continuity (FOC, TFP, BH etc...) Even a 2 issue GI Joe/TF crossover (Prior to the Hasbroverse). And a separate continuity for BW.

But Hearst of Steel was always an oddity. Unfortunately no other "alternate" universe stories were ever published, so I guess it makes sense to retcon it into the main continuity somehow.

I wonder though...because I collect the individual issues, and not the TPB's, I like to sort my comics by chronological reading order

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Transformers_(IDW_Publishing)#Chronological_Comic_Order

I wonder where Hearts of Steel will eventually officially be placed? I guess its not a big deal at the moment since all my comic books are in storage, but eventually I'll have to take that 4 issue series out of my "Miscellaneous" collection and file it in somewhere with the main IDW continuity.

This list, done by my buddy Primusprime22 places it somettime between Spotlight Wheelie and Spotlight Hot Rod. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Re: Review of IDW Revolutionaries #4 (1888886)
Posted by Kurona on June 12th, 2017 @ 9:49am CDT
Yeah, Hearts of Steel takes place in the year the original story says it was. So it's kind of fun that for once we have an IDW Transformers story that's not set in the modern day, the 1980s or millions and/or thousands of years ago.
Re: Review of IDW Revolutionaries #4 (1888982)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on June 12th, 2017 @ 6:57pm CDT
Hearts of steel is now canon. I am very happy :x

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Battleslash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 08 Leader Class Movie 1 Decepticon Blackout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 09 Voyager Class Movie 2 Thundercracker" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Thundercracker Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Firefly Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Autobot Ratchet" on AMAZON
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Titans Return Soundwave and Soundblaster" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #287 - Pulse Con 2021
Twincast / Podcast #287:
"Pulse Con 2021"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, October 25th, 2021

New Items on eBay

Buy "Playskool Transformers Rescue Bots Flip Racers Chomp & Chase Raceway w/ Morbot" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Fallen Leader Optimus Prime Monochrome Reaction Figure Super7 G1" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Academy Salvage Converting Toy, 4.5-Inch Figure, Toys" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Animated Deluxe Arcee Complete Optimus Prime Big Fanstoys Mp Titans" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Optimus Prime Revenge Of The Fallen 2009 HASBRO MASK" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Allspark Tech Autobot Sqweeks Cube Power Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Collector's Club 2010 Membership Autobot Dion Action Figure NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Blitzwing TRANSFORMERS Studio Series 65 Bumblebee Movie toy figure jet plane" on EBAY