Review of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5

Review of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5

Wednesday, May 10th, 2017 2:38am CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, Reviews, Site Articles
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 26,229

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

Means of Creation
A Review of Transformers: Lost Light #5

As spoiler-free as I can make it.

Transformers News: Review of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5
If there's light, there's shade.

Here we are on part 5 of 6, "Modes of Production", the latest chapter of author James Roberts' massive Transformers tale. With just forty pages to go when you start Lost Light #5, you may be wondering just how much will end up resolved by the end of "Dissolution". After all, there are several plots all running concurrently: a whole crew of characters from the book's namesake ship that have been displaced twice-over to the point of finding themselves in another reality, a new duo of characters that fans have been trying to figure out, tension between former Decepticons and parts of "Team Rodimus", a Whirl/Tailgate/Cyclonus soap opera side-plot, Nightbeat and Rung's ongoing conversations, Megatron and Terminus' interrupted reunion, the return of Roller to action, mysteries of the Functionist Council, more clarification to get to on Rung, and then finally there's the whole part where the alternate Cybertron our heroes are on is slowly being torn apart by a Luna 2 that's been converted into some sort of gigantic galactic recycling unit.

Phew. I've probably missed something.

Transformers News: Review of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5
Why is he suddenly Rick instead of Brainstorm?

With Mr. Roberts clearly going for some kind of plot-juggling world record, it falls to this review to try and decide how it's working out (that is the point of these, right?) It took some careful reflection and multiple reads, but to be completely honest, it's just impossible to know how good this issue is without being able to read issue 6.

Before you accuse yours truly of going for the review-cop-out world record, hear me out. Is the pacing of this issue justified, where very dense pages jump from point to point interspersing some of the main focus with secondary stories where needed, sometimes tangentially in Roller's case? Are the interludes, including one heavy exposition dump with respect to Rung, worth the space they're taking up in a book with so much going on? To repeat a question one can find in spades over both our own Energon Pub Forums and out there online: Is the space given to Anode and Lug in this arc deserving of its inclusion? I don't know because I don't know what they're for yet. "Knowing what someone turns into is not the same as knowing what someone's for", indeed.

Transformers News: Review of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5
The catch is that your friends stopped reading.

While the paragraph above wasn't directly critical, it does bring up a point that I'll just come out and say explicitly: "Dissolution" feels written as a trade paperback and the month-to-month reading cycle is suffering for it. I felt this way before during "Elegant Chaos", and that turned out quite amazingly well in the end. This issue has a healthy amount of effective, meaningful, and downright quality material that gives hope that everything is, indeed, fine.

Transformers News: Review of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5
Rescue Bots! Roll(er) to the Rescue!

One of these highlights involves an A-Lister of the Transformers franchise. Megatron and Terminus are one of the more fascinating duos in an issue/series/meta-series/universe of sometimes-robo-monogamy (platonic and otherwise) that Roberts has created. In this issue we see things progress logically, with some moments including Roller that are simply fantastic. Morality, peril, specters of the past, and peace through the tyranny of choice are all examined when these two are on the page. In a book with a big cast this is the kind of material that serves as an anchor, especially in this case as we're reminded of the ultimate reason that Megatron is caught up in all of this to begin with. Even readers jaded with this story - you know who you are and it's ok to have opinions - will have a hard time not wanting more of these two in my opinion.

Transformers News: Review of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5
That's a question you should ask yourself, Megatron. Wait...

Then there's this. Quite possibly the biggest mystery in Transformers comics of the past five-plus years is beginning to be brought into the light. Will this issue tell you what Rung does? Yes, and you'll need to read it to find out whether or not the answer is "Drilling! Takara Tomy loves drill tanks after all." Lost Light #5 stops just barely short of giving the total 360° answer about what Rung is for. If you've read the issue, you might take pause at that statement, because there was a very great deal explained. However, when reflecting on the last scene of the book I began to wonder if, perhaps, there are more to Functionist Universe Rung's present desires than... there appear to be.

What? What happened?

Transformers News: Review of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5
Those Lunabots would be handy now, yeah?

Comics are a visual medium and I've said little about that side of this issue so far. This is probably worthy of at least a night in Fan Jail because it's almost perfect to me from this standpoint. Artist Jack Lawrence's characters continue to evolve visually in this issue in a pleasing way. In some cases, this evolution brings characters closer to looks established by Alex Milne while in others, Lawrence continues to put his own touch on the series. The line work, aided by Joana Lafuente's tonally appropriate color palettes and Tom B. Long's usual lettering masterwork, gives a book that is by my count 96% pure eye candy.

The 4% that's not? The final panel. I think this needed either a big splash spread or perhaps some different posing by one of the characters involved. The point is still made and wow, what a moment! That is a thing that has been built up since 2012! Unfortunately, the visual delivery came across somewhat underwhelming. Of course, maybe that is the real point and I don't truly grasp it, but that's the kind of fun chatter we can get to in course when you reply to this post to debate, opine, and converse in our Energon Pub Forums.

Returning to the good stuff, there are four really and truly outstanding covers available for this issue, including another installment in Nick Roche and Josh Burcham's beautiful series of character vignettes that you'll see in this review's News Story thumbnail. As always, you can find full credits and covers in our database entry for Lost Light #5, along with a list of characters that appear in the issue so do be aware of possible spoilers.

Verdict
Some Spoilers Present Below
Transformers News: Review of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5

When reviewing Lost Light #4, I said that scores don't feel fair to big multi-part works. I stand by this even moreso for #5 as a standalone work. Taken as part of the whole, it's quite good, but with so much going on and the finish line so close, it ends up being partially victimized by its purpose and by the need for some of the resolutions occurring. The Anode interlude stops the pace dead for a reveal that, rather unfortunately for involved fans like myself, was guessed by the fandom at large two months ago. Brainstorm somehow became a wisecracking parody of himself at some point and I find myself missing the brutally clever scientist we used to know. There's more I could pick out for criticism but it wouldn't change the point, that being that despite all the good stuff in here, there's also just enough that feels off the mark to drag down the finished product.

This needs #6 and it needs it soon. Very possibly, this is an inappropriate score to give something that deserves much, much higher, and in moments it really genuinely does. However, without knowing what everything here was for this is all I can commit to from a strictly critical perspective. I will freely admit if this was too low in #6's review. For now and with a dose of hesitation -

. :CYBERTRON: :CYBERTRON: :CYBERTRON: and 1/2 out of :CYBERTRON: :CYBERTRON: :CYBERTRON: :CYBERTRON: :CYBERTRON:


Bonus! James Roberts' soundtrack suggestions for this issue:
  • Orlando - "Just For A Second"
  • Pedro The Lion - "Of Up And Coming Monarchs"
  • Tarwater - "All Of The Ants Left Paris"

Encore Bonus? Uniclock Update? Unfortunately, actual real world scary things and warmongering would make it a bit insensitive and tone deaf for me to continue including this little feature, which was intended to be a fun and possibly self-deprecating bit of humor. If that doesn't make sense to you, please do realize this was not inspired by 'Watchmen'.

Credit(s): IDW


News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: Review of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 (1880637)
Posted by Randomhero on May 10th, 2017 @ 6:07am CDT
It certainly is a story of convienient coincidences. Stuck in a altnernate universe by a weapon designed by Killmaster, Killmaster is conveniently and coincidently on the necroworld with his wand that shares similar tech and can take them home. Rung revealing he can make constructed cold sparks with his body with Alternate Rung explaining the same thing the exact moment across the galaxy to those who arnt with the normal Rung. Anode being introduced for the first time conviently and coincidently as her functionist counterpart being introduced as the second in command to a rebellion.


This is lazy.

Wish the reveal of Lug was more of a surprise but a lot of people figured out what was up with her by issue one and more by issue two.
Re: Review of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 (1880726)
Posted by Nexus Knight on May 10th, 2017 @ 1:13pm CDT
Randomhero wrote:It certainly is a story of convienient coincidences. Stuck in a altnernate universe by a weapon designed by Killmaster, Killmaster is conveniently and coincidently on the necroworld with his wand that shares similar tech and can take them home. Rung revealing he can make constructed cold sparks with his body with Alternate Rung explaining the same thing the exact moment across the galaxy to those who arnt with the normal Rung. Anode being introduced for the first time conviently and coincidently as her functionist counterpart being introduced as the second in command to a rebellion.


This is lazy.


Lazy? Have you ever actually written for a living? I do it as a hobby and it isn't easy. If you're going for something with some sort of sense, it isn't very simple to think of a unique way of doing so. Roberts has to try to get his characters back to where they belong without seeming to pull out of his rear, so setting up Killmaster's tech as the way to do so is pretty smart. We know that Killmaster was supposedly killed by Whirl (who isn't reliable for good intel on the account of being y'know INSANE), so his lying about it isn't too far-fetched and thus making KIllmaster's inclusion of being part of the Disappeared rescued by Necrobot plausible.

Next, they never say when exactly Rung has this talk with Nightbeat (unless they did and I wasn't paying attention). Even so, I don't see how to the two versions giving to same information at the same time is being lazy. Maybe one of them could've been cut, but it was a character building moment for "our" Rung, so it is far from lazy.

Finally, Anode. If Roberts was tasked to try and pull new readers in with Lost Light, her inclusion could be his trying to do so. It doesn't feel like he meant for MTMTE was supposed to end there at issue 55 (I'm referring to the Lost Light's storyline), so I'm sure Roberts was scrambling to try and do so and launch a new book. My point? Having both Anode on Necroworld with her problems and a version of her with the AVL was probably his way to help his new readers understand the different universes better with giving them a character they've known since her conception.

To end this rant, I'm not a comic expert and a lot of that is pure speculation. I do, however, consider myself an amateur writer and feel that work from a good writer should be defended if it feels justified, as I believe so in this case.
Re: Review of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 (1880733)
Posted by Randomhero on May 10th, 2017 @ 2:01pm CDT
Nexus Knight wrote:
Randomhero wrote:It certainly is a story of convienient coincidences. Stuck in a altnernate universe by a weapon designed by Killmaster, Killmaster is conveniently and coincidently on the necroworld with his wand that shares similar tech and can take them home. Rung revealing he can make constructed cold sparks with his body with Alternate Rung explaining the same thing the exact moment across the galaxy to those who arnt with the normal Rung. Anode being introduced for the first time conviently and coincidently as her functionist counterpart being introduced as the second in command to a rebellion.


This is lazy.


Lazy? Have you ever actually written for a living? I do it as a hobby and it isn't easy. If you're going for something with some sort of sense, it isn't very simple to think of a unique way of doing so. Roberts has to try to get his characters back to where they belong without seeming to pull out of his rear, so setting up Killmaster's tech as the way to do so is pretty smart. We know that Killmaster was supposedly killed by Whirl (who isn't reliable for good intel on the account of being y'know INSANE), so his lying about it isn't too far-fetched and thus making KIllmaster's inclusion of being part of the Disappeared rescued by Necrobot plausible.

Next, they never say when exactly Rung has this talk with Nightbeat (unless they did and I wasn't paying attention). Even so, I don't see how to the two versions giving to same information at the same time is being lazy. Maybe one of them could've been cut, but it was a character building moment for "our" Rung, so it is far from lazy.

Finally, Anode. If Roberts was tasked to try and pull new readers in with Lost Light, her inclusion could be his trying to do so. It doesn't feel like he meant for MTMTE was supposed to end there at issue 55 (I'm referring to the Lost Light's storyline), so I'm sure Roberts was scrambling to try and do so and launch a new book. My point? Having both Anode on Necroworld with her problems and a version of her with the AVL was probably his way to help his new readers understand the different universes better with giving them a character they've known since her conception.

To end this rant, I'm not a comic expert and a lot of that is pure speculation. I do, however, consider myself an amateur writer and feel that work from a good writer should be defended if it feels justified, as I believe so in this case.


Yes I do write. I've said on here before I am artist that writes and draw comics and publish them. I've been reading comics since I was 5 and I've been creating comics for 14 years and have been publishing my own comics and going to comic conventions since 2012 with my other friends who also create their own comics and we sell and promote them at tables. Even been on a couple podcasts and been on a couple Q n As at conventions telling people about being a content creator and how to start it. So I kinda know a thing or two about comics.

In my opinion this is utterly lazy. Having Rung explain to nightbeat what has happened to him while his alternate version also explaning it at the exact same time is lazy. Having the crew sent to an alternate universe by technology created by someone who just so happens to be there and then him having a weapon that can solve it all is lazy.
Re: Review of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 (1880737)
Posted by Nexus Knight on May 10th, 2017 @ 2:21pm CDT
Randomhero wrote:
Nexus Knight wrote:
Randomhero wrote:It certainly is a story of convienient coincidences. Stuck in a altnernate universe by a weapon designed by Killmaster, Killmaster is conveniently and coincidently on the necroworld with his wand that shares similar tech and can take them home. Rung revealing he can make constructed cold sparks with his body with Alternate Rung explaining the same thing the exact moment across the galaxy to those who arnt with the normal Rung. Anode being introduced for the first time conviently and coincidently as her functionist counterpart being introduced as the second in command to a rebellion.


This is lazy.


Lazy? Have you ever actually written for a living? I do it as a hobby and it isn't easy. If you're going for something with some sort of sense, it isn't very simple to think of a unique way of doing so. Roberts has to try to get his characters back to where they belong without seeming to pull out of his rear, so setting up Killmaster's tech as the way to do so is pretty smart. We know that Killmaster was supposedly killed by Whirl (who isn't reliable for good intel on the account of being y'know INSANE), so his lying about it isn't too far-fetched and thus making KIllmaster's inclusion of being part of the Disappeared rescued by Necrobot plausible.

Next, they never say when exactly Rung has this talk with Nightbeat (unless they did and I wasn't paying attention). Even so, I don't see how to the two versions giving to same information at the same time is being lazy. Maybe one of them could've been cut, but it was a character building moment for "our" Rung, so it is far from lazy.

Finally, Anode. If Roberts was tasked to try and pull new readers in with Lost Light, her inclusion could be his trying to do so. It doesn't feel like he meant for MTMTE was supposed to end there at issue 55 (I'm referring to the Lost Light's storyline), so I'm sure Roberts was scrambling to try and do so and launch a new book. My point? Having both Anode on Necroworld with her problems and a version of her with the AVL was probably his way to help his new readers understand the different universes better with giving them a character they've known since her conception.

To end this rant, I'm not a comic expert and a lot of that is pure speculation. I do, however, consider myself an amateur writer and feel that work from a good writer should be defended if it feels justified, as I believe so in this case.


Yes I do write. I've said on here before I am artist that writes and draw comics and publish them. I've been reading comics since I was 5 and I've been creating comics for 14 years and have been publishing my own comics and going to comic conventions since 2012 with my other friends who also create their own comics and we sell and promote them at tables. Even been on a couple podcasts and been on a couple Q n As at conventions telling people about being a content creator and how to start it. So I kinda know a thing or two about comics.

In my opinion this is utterly lazy. Having Rung explain to nightbeat what has happened to him while his alternate version also explaning it at the exact same time is lazy. Having the crew sent to an alternate universe by technology created by someone who just so happens to be there and then him having a weapon that can solve it all is lazy.


A). I'm sorry, I overreacted and haven't been around much to know much about anyone here. So, ignorance on my part and I apologize for this.

B). I didn't notice that Killmaster had made the tech. And I still stand beside the explanation I give about Rung. However, I will say it to be my own opinion now and apologize again for heavily criticizing yours.
Re: Review of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 (1880748)
Posted by Randomhero on May 10th, 2017 @ 2:35pm CDT
Killmaster is the creator of the Geobomb which was the weapon used by the Galactic Council at the end of mtmte that trapped everyone in this universe. And it just so happens he was on th necroword and it just so happens his wand is also based on similar technology. It's a convenient coincidence on top of a convenient coincidence with a macguffin as a cherry on top. I'm sorry I find that lazy
Re: Review of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 (1880757)
Posted by Nexus Knight on May 10th, 2017 @ 2:51pm CDT
Randomhero wrote:Killmaster is the creator of the Geobomb which was the weapon used by the Galactic Council at the end of mtmte that trapped everyone in this universe. And it just so happens he was on th necroword and it just so happens his wand is also based on similar technology. It's a convenient coincidence on top of a convenient coincidence with a macguffin as a cherry on top. I'm sorry I find that lazy


Nothing to apologize for. To each his (or her) own. ;) I do think MTMTE, ahem, the Lost Light is the type of series to have a goofy coincidence like that, but as I said, to each his own.

Also, if you do writing, could you direct me (via PMs) to some of your work? I'd actually be interested in reading it. :D
Re: Review of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 (1880809)
Posted by Randomhero on May 10th, 2017 @ 5:21pm CDT
One of my issues with Killmaster is that it seemed so forced to bring him into the story. Whirl talked so much about how they were arch enemies, making up amazing stories of their rivalry and then admitting he killed him in his sleep. Jump 4 years later and Killmaster shows up and Whirl admits he never killed him or really fought him. Here's my problem, why would Whirl say he killed him by simply sneaking into a decepticons base and crushing his brain if he Killmaster just disappeared. Whirl is all about himself and if Killmaster just vanished he would have made up a story of his heroic victory of defeating Killmaster and no one could call him out on it. This honestly feels like whirl did kill him and James needed a way to do this story and decided to bring him back and write that whirl just lied.
Re: Review of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 (1880813)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on May 10th, 2017 @ 5:35pm CDT
Nexus Knight wrote:I do, however, consider myself an amateur writer and feel that work from a good writer should be defended if it feels justified, as I believe so in this case.
This is where I disagree. I don't think James Roberts is a good writer. I like MTMTE generally, but it could have been so much better. It feels too cluttered, though not as bad as ReGeneration One was. If Roberts was truly worth his salt, he would have tidied up the story and maybe gotten more out of the pages he was allotted. Having said that, I still do plan on picking up the TPB of Lost Light, so I guess in the end that's all that matters.
Re: Review of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 (1880840)
Posted by ScottyP on May 10th, 2017 @ 8:01pm CDT
Rodimus Prime wrote:
Nexus Knight wrote:I do, however, consider myself an amateur writer and feel that work from a good writer should be defended if it feels justified, as I believe so in this case.
This is where I disagree. I don't think James Roberts is a good writer. I like MTMTE generally, but it could have been so much better. It feels too cluttered, though not as bad as ReGeneration One was. If Roberts was truly worth his salt, he would have tidied up the story and maybe gotten more out of the pages he was allotted. Having said that, I still do plan on picking up the TPB of Lost Light, so I guess in the end that's all that matters.
I think he's a phenomenal writer. He can turn a phrase into magic, create genuine, relatable characters, and the long term plotting at play is very well planned.

I think Barber at his peak of being involved/invested as an editor helped the final presentation of Roberts' words in way we haven't seen in a long time now. Don't underestimate editorial's role in what we see. Also consider IDW has a shortage of labor in that department causing some of the delays reeally plaguing some of their other titles.

I kinda wish I had an editor for all my board posts and articles here. They'd be much better!
Re: Review of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 (1880884)
Posted by RNSrobot on May 11th, 2017 @ 3:41am CDT
I hate anode, and every panel on her has been wasted.

Whole arc should have been four issues.

Lawrence's art ... Nope. Zama and Pitre smoke him on every level. It's not very good, it doesn't fit the story, and detracts. I can only imagine everything would be reading better with Milne at the helm.

It's just fine. I don't know. I'm not totally down on lost light. It just doesn't seem to be on the level of mtmte. Not even close. Every month is at least vaguely disappointing.

There's good stuff. There really is. But it feels like every issue has me trying to justify the good in the face of the bad.

Fuck anode.
Re: Review of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 (1880924)
Posted by Randomhero on May 11th, 2017 @ 9:43am CDT
The art is the one thing I love. I think jack is knocking it out of the park with his story telling and layouts.
Re: Review of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 (1880940)
Posted by Big Grim on May 11th, 2017 @ 11:01am CDT
Well, I just gotta say I'm enjoying the hell outta Lost Light.
Re: Review of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 (1880944)
Posted by Big Grim on May 11th, 2017 @ 11:13am CDT
Well, I just gotta say I'm enjoying the hell outta Lost Light.
Re: Review of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 (1880953)
Posted by MrBlack on May 11th, 2017 @ 12:07pm CDT
The first few issues were a bit slow, and Jack Lawrence was still not up to speed, but Lost Light really started to feel like MTMTE as of last issue, at least for me. Lawrence has really improved since issue #1, and while I don't think he's quite there with Alex Milne in terms of storytelling and detail, he's getting there. Milne has had more than a few clunky, overly detailed panels, and at least I never fail to understand what's going on when Lawrence draws. The style is different, but it works for me.

Storywise, it's back on track for me. I like the stuff with Rung, I'm beginning to enjoy Anode, and all the character building is on point. The Killmaster stuff bothers me a bit, but I'm willing to let that slide a bit since it is still building off previously established continuity. The "coincidence" with Rung doesn't bother me, as it's really only a storytelling technique. Functionist Rung has known what he could do for months, and we, the reader, are only just learning it now. The original Rung only just found out, and for an established story reason. It's coincidence, but only in how it's presented to the reader, rather than being something unbelievable from a story perspective.
Re: Review of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 (1880973)
Posted by DeadCaL on May 11th, 2017 @ 1:17pm CDT
To me, I think certain characters have become caricatures of themselves, namely Brainstorm. Quirky is fine, but I have limits.
Re: Review of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 (1881110)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on May 11th, 2017 @ 8:39pm CDT
ScottyP wrote:
Rodimus Prime wrote:
Nexus Knight wrote:I do, however, consider myself an amateur writer and feel that work from a good writer should be defended if it feels justified, as I believe so in this case.
This is where I disagree. I don't think James Roberts is a good writer. I like MTMTE generally, but it could have been so much better. It feels too cluttered, though not as bad as ReGeneration One was. If Roberts was truly worth his salt, he would have tidied up the story and maybe gotten more out of the pages he was allotted. Having said that, I still do plan on picking up the TPB of Lost Light, so I guess in the end that's all that matters.
I think he's a phenomenal writer. He can turn a phrase into magic, create genuine, relatable characters, and the long term plotting at play is very well planned.

I think Barber at his peak of being involved/invested as an editor helped the final presentation of Roberts' words in way we haven't seen in a long time now. Don't underestimate editorial's role in what we see. Also consider IDW has a shortage of labor in that department causing some of the delays reeally plaguing some of their other titles.

I kinda wish I had an editor for all my board posts and articles here. They'd be much better!


Wanted to comment on this last night, but was too tired and had too early a morning. And too late a day. I like Roberts and I do think he is a really good writer. One of the best in the IDW series really. His specialty is the character development, making us care for his characters rather than seeing them as mostly generic fodder with a name.

That being said:
RNSrobot wrote:I hate anode, and every panel on her has been wasted.

Whole arc should have been four issues.

Lawrence's art ... Nope. Zama and Pitre smoke him on every level. It's not very good, it doesn't fit the story, and detracts. I can only imagine everything would be reading better with Milne at the helm.

It's just fine. I don't know. I'm not totally down on lost light. It just doesn't seem to be on the level of mtmte. Not even close. Every month is at least vaguely disappointing.

There's good stuff. There really is. But it feels like every issue has me trying to justify the good in the face of the bad.

**** anode.

DeadCaL wrote:To me, I think certain characters have become caricatures of themselves, namely Brainstorm. Quirky is fine, but I have limits.

I agree to some levels with both of these posts, and both bring up the main things I have had issues with in Lost Light. While I understand the purpose of bringing on a new character from which to see the perspective of the new story, he couldn't have picked a worse character for this job. Despite what Scotty says, and I do really respect what you say Scotty with all your storytelling stuff, I really hate Anode. Still do. She has yet to do anything that makes me like her or find interest in her in any way. Unless she is an ancient Cybertronian (which she isn't), there is no way she should work in the 2 different locations. One is on Cybertron as a fighter, while the other was born on Caminus or whatever and became an adventurer after being in the wrong job. That doesn't work for me and really brings me down. I actually get a slight twinge when I see Kurona post because I see her face

Brings me to the 2nd point: I completely agree with DeadCaL: quirky is one thing, but Brainstorm feels too exaggerated in LL so far. Just enough to bug me, and he is in my top 3 favorites of all time character wise.

Finally, despite warming some to Lawrence's art, I still don't like it too much. It irritates me some reading the comic and is part of the reason I don't read LL that much after the first read. I was ridiculed some for my LL#2 review for saying I did not like the art at all, but I can't like it yet. Just can't. Part of the reason I am excited for Rom v. TF's in July is because of Milne and Barber teaming up. And I have really enjoyed the other 2 ongoings because I like the art. Zama grew on me after about 2 issues and I have come to enjoy her art, just needing to adjust from Griffith. And Pitre-Durocher is excellent in TAAO. Lawrence just feels a step or 3 behind them yet though, which is disappointing as MTMTE was my favorite of the ongoings.

But then Revolution was also a killer. It basically killed Seibs comic vibe, and it has somewhat reduced mine. And with more crossover stuff coming, I feel more annoyed than enjoyed with comics honestly.
Re: Review of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 (1881596)
Posted by DeadCaL on May 14th, 2017 @ 2:22pm CDT
OK, here's a question. As someone who mainly just reads the comics and just enjoys them without keeping up with every twitter thing and IDW this and that, what is the current set up with the writing/editing on TF comics at the mo?

A friend and I were discussing it over the phone. The subject of 'oversight' came up, cos if I were writing something I was super enthusiastic about, with very little managerial input, I'd probably go nuts and just fill it with fank wank.

I really like James's style, but bits here and there seem like the kind of stuff I'd expect an editor to tighten up on.
Re: Review of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 (1881905)
Posted by ScottyP on May 15th, 2017 @ 8:42pm CDT
DeadCaL wrote:OK, here's a question. As someone who mainly just reads the comics and just enjoys them without keeping up with every twitter thing and IDW this and that, what is the current set up with the writing/editing on TF comics at the mo?

A friend and I were discussing it over the phone. The subject of 'oversight' came up, cos if I were writing something I was super enthusiastic about, with very little managerial input, I'd probably go nuts and just fill it with fank wank.

I really like James's style, but bits here and there seem like the kind of stuff I'd expect an editor to tighten up on.
With Barber focused on writing now (has some Marvel gigs now so stepped out of his editorial role), Carlos Guzman is editing most of the TF books. Guzman edited RiD/TF for Barber, and I never felt that way about those for the most part. That said, was told by EIC David Hedgecock in our last interview with him a couple months back that they're a little thin on the editorial side and that's why some of the books keep getting delayed, so maybe that's not helping matters. I don't think it's having any huge impact but there are a couple spots that seem weird - but then again, Guzman would know where this story is going so I'll trust the decisions for now as things that help the greater story unknown to the rest of us.

What I came here to share was some Alex Milne art from Twitter. He drew Rung from Rodimus' perspective at the end of LL 5 and it's fantastic:
Image
Re: Review of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 (1882521)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on May 18th, 2017 @ 4:49am CDT
I remember Roberts saying that the plan for the MTMTE story (now the LL story) was 100 issues. Is this still the case?
Re: Review of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 (1882525)
Posted by Kurona on May 18th, 2017 @ 5:44am CDT
Rodimus Prime wrote:I remember Roberts saying that the plan for the MTMTE story (now the LL story) was 100 issues. Is this still the case?

He's certainly hoping to get there according to his Twitter.

Also according to his Twitter, he's really enjoying writing Issue 10 with the mutineers...

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Novastar" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Repugnus, Dastard, and Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 09 Voyager Class Movie 2 Thundercracker" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Megatron Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Fusion Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Unicronus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Terrorcon Blot" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Mega 1-Step Turbo Changer Dragonstorm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Six Shot and Decepticon Revolver" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Thundercracker Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Tra Rid Warrior Soundwave Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #267 - Netflix Earthrise Reviewed
Twincast / Podcast #267:
"Netflix Earthrise Reviewed"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, December 28th, 2020

New Items on eBay

Buy "Transformers IF EX-26R Racing Bros. Retrograde (Runabout)(Runamuck)" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime RID Arcee Deluxe Class NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers HUB Dark Of The Moon Cyberverse: MEGATRON (Unopened) Series 1 003" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS BUMBLEBEE CYBERVERSE ADVENTURES DELUXE SOUNDWAVE w/ LASERBEAK MIB" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Kingdom War For Cybertron Trilogy LEADER CLASS OPTIMUS PRIME NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers IRONWORKS Earthrise War for Cybertron Trilogy Hasbro brand new" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Robot Academy Medix the Doc-Bot Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Quintesson Judge Allicon Sharkticon Lot" on EBAY