ROM and M.A.S.K. Live-Action Movies Not Likely to Happen Anymore

Transformers News: ROM and M.A.S.K. Live-Action Movies Not Likely to Happen Anymore

Saturday, January 20th, 2018 3:10AM CST

Category: Live Action Movie News
Posted by: Bounti76   Views: 19,133

It's been some time since we heard any news regarding the Hasbro/Paramount cinematic universe. While your dreams of seeing G.I. Joe and Transformers in the same live-action movie universe may still happen, it appears that certain properties may not see a live-action big screen adventure after all. Scotty P pointed us to an article on IGN's website that features an interview with John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein, writers on the well-received Spider-Man: Homecoming movie, regarding the shared cinematic universe, and for the ROM and M.A.S.K properties in particular:

"Those are probably not likely to see the light of day, unless they’re moving on separate from us," said Goldstein. "It’s a funny thing. We spent three weeks in a room with a lot of talented writers. We broke 11 or so movies and, I don’t know. It just kind of went into the vortex. There’s been some leadership changes at Paramount, so it’s hard to say. Nobody’s contacted us about those."

How does this news strike you? Were you hoping to see ROM battling the Dire Wraiths on the big screen? You can read the full interview by clicking here. Please let us know your thoughts on this new development (or lack of development, rather) below!
Credit(s): IGN.com

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: ROM and M.A.S.K. Live-Action Movies Not Likely to Happen Anymore (1932594)
Posted by DMSL on January 20th, 2018 @ 3:59am CST
Never say never.
Re: ROM and M.A.S.K. Live-Action Movies Not Likely to Happen Anymore (1932596)
Posted by Burn on January 20th, 2018 @ 4:05am CST
He's just a writer from the writers room, there's no guarantee he was going to be asked to write anyway.
Re: ROM and M.A.S.K. Live-Action Movies Not Likely to Happen Anymore (1932598)
Posted by Rezael on January 20th, 2018 @ 5:18am CST
Disappointing, I'd much rather see a M.A.S.K. film over transformers at this point.
Re: ROM and M.A.S.K. Live-Action Movies Not Likely to Happen Anymore (1932611)
Posted by Ironhidensh on January 20th, 2018 @ 7:56am CST
Re: ROM and M.A.S.K. Live-Action Movies Not Likely to Happen Anymore (1932612)
Posted by Black Hat on January 20th, 2018 @ 8:24am CST
I wonder how much of this is to do with TLK's failure. Still, not like Im particularly sad- I have zero attachment to Rom or M.A.S.K (though I will admit the 80s toyline for the latter looked pretty sweet) and I can't see reboot movies working all that well. Transformers worked because it has a history of being rebooted and reimagined every five minutes. M.A.S.K and Rom don't have that.
Re: ROM and M.A.S.K. Live-Action Movies Not Likely to Happen Anymore (1932613)
Posted by Rated X on January 20th, 2018 @ 8:31am CST
Re: ROM and M.A.S.K. Live-Action Movies Not Likely to Happen Anymore (1932614)
Posted by Ironhidensh on January 20th, 2018 @ 8:37am CST
Rated X wrote:Mask was kind of far fetched anyways. To think some pop up Lambo doors could act as wings is ridiculous. Plus a helicoptor that can turn into a jet in mid air was also pretty far fetched. I did own the motorcycle sidecar thing as a kid because I thought it was kind of cool. But as I look back, I can see why the producers and writers just said no...

1) It was a Camero, not a Lambo.

2) Because super hero's and boy wizards aren't far fetched at all.
Re: ROM and M.A.S.K. Live-Action Movies Not Likely to Happen Anymore (1932618)
Posted by Caelus on January 20th, 2018 @ 9:21am CST
M.A.S.K. could really just be folded into a G.I.Joe reboot; they mesh so well there's not much reason to keep the stories separate.

Rom I've really come to love, but should probably justbe sold to Marvel - Dire Wraiths have tied into Skrulls before, or they could be adapted to tie into the Brood or Klyntyr - either way Rom and his enemies make good elements for post-Thanos GotG/Cpt. Marvel.
Re: ROM and M.A.S.K. Live-Action Movies Not Likely to Happen Anymore (1932627)
Posted by Rated X on January 20th, 2018 @ 10:46am CST
Ironhidensh wrote:

1) It was a Camero, not a Lambo.

2) Because super hero's and boy wizards aren't far fetched at all.

Obviously youre not into customized cars...I clearly said "Lambo doors" not "Lambo". Heres a picture of Bee with Lambo doors:

https://www.carid.com/vertical-doors-in ... RAQAvD_BwE

BTW: Its spelled "Camaro" not "Camero"

Re: ROM and M.A.S.K. Live-Action Movies Not Likely to Happen Anymore (1932629)
Posted by Ironhidensh on January 20th, 2018 @ 11:02am CST
Re: ROM and M.A.S.K. Live-Action Movies Not Likely to Happen Anymore (1932633)
Posted by Mindmaster on January 20th, 2018 @ 11:15am CST
Shame, I’d’ve liked to have seen MASK come to be. Lots of good potential for a Transformers/GI Joe/MASK crossover.

Rom, eh. I can take or leave it.
Re: ROM and M.A.S.K. Live-Action Movies Not Likely to Happen Anymore (1932636)
Posted by Rated X on January 20th, 2018 @ 11:27am CST
Ironhidensh wrote:Fine then, Thunderhawk has gull wing doors, not Lambo doors. I'll concede your second point.

True. Notice I called them "pop up Lambo doors" because I had no clue what to call doors that go up in that particular fasion. But now I know. And knowing is half the battle. ;)
Re: ROM and M.A.S.K. Live-Action Movies Not Likely to Happen Anymore (1932639)
Posted by Nexus Knight on January 20th, 2018 @ 11:37am CST
Ironhidensh wrote:IDW failed with the M.A.S.K. comic. They changed too much from the original, loosing what made it work. The editor in charge should be fired and black listed from comics.

Actually, saying that straying from to source isn't the reason the comic failed. IDWverse Transformers has strayed so far from the original you could probably build a football field or two. They just couldn't make it interesting, which is hard to see how. The premise is basically written for them- a team of people who are practically superheroes (powers, codenames, and all) with vehicles that convert into mobile battle stations.

I have to agree with one point made- This would be hard to be made in a live action flick. It's harder to suspend disbelief with live action than with animation. Plus, they'd have to get a large budget for special effects and hope the people don't give them a garbage product. If a M.A.S.K. movie were made, animation probably would be a better medium to do so. Which is why we should instead get a TV show. :-D
Re: ROM and M.A.S.K. Live-Action Movies Not Likely to Happen Anymore (1932648)
Posted by Sabrblade on January 20th, 2018 @ 12:19pm CST
Rated X wrote:Some far fetched things are just not as cool as others when it comes to live action movies. I dont see any Gobots live action movies coming our way either...
In the specific case of GoBots, it's because that really can't happen since it's a dead franchise whose ownership rights have been split across three different companies, two of which are even rival competitor companies.
Re: ROM and M.A.S.K. Live-Action Movies Not Likely to Happen Anymore (1932652)
Posted by Black Hat on January 20th, 2018 @ 12:28pm CST
Re: ROM and M.A.S.K. Live-Action Movies Not Likely to Happen Anymore (1932663)
Posted by Rated X on January 20th, 2018 @ 12:52pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:

In the case of the (cough cough) offical Machine Robo figures, I would be inclined to believe money talks. Maybe certain characters or even the name "Gobots" might not be able to be used. But something can easily be done to circumvent the legal woes. But the interest just isnt there. Gobots will always be seen as wanna-be Transformers in America. They were back then and they would be now if a film came out. The only time I can think of that 2 competing franchises equally held their own in popularity was Mortal Kombat vs. Street Fighter.
Re: ROM and M.A.S.K. Live-Action Movies Not Likely to Happen Anymore (1932665)
Posted by Rated X on January 20th, 2018 @ 12:58pm CST
Black Hat wrote:Speaking of Hasbro movies, it's a shame G.I. Joe is basically dead because even as someone who honestly never grew up with it, I wouldn't mind a proper G.I. Joe movie that took advantage of just how silly the whole thing was. So no attempts to make it too "cool" or "edgy" or whatever; by all means modernize some of the designs so they look good on screen, but aim for that absolutely ridiculous 80s cheese charm. Everyone has laser rifles, Cobra are completely incompetent, Cobra Commander is a screeching lunatic (get Scott McNeil to play him!), etc etc. Don't be mean spirited towards the source material, but give it an affectionate parody. So not "G.I. Joe is sacrosanct and must be treated as a serious work of art" but not "The original sucked, let's insult it and the people that grew up with it" either. More "G.i. Joe was ludicrous, and that's why we love it". And for the love of god, keep political/social virtue signalling out of it.

Thats what cartoons are for. The moment you use live actors and have them be "less cool" you just have a parody. But I would be all for a CHUG version of GI Joe being put into a cartoon form. And not CGI. The same for Transformers. New stories with old characters with their original personalities.
Re: ROM and M.A.S.K. Live-Action Movies Not Likely to Happen Anymore (1932666)
Posted by Sabrblade on January 20th, 2018 @ 1:01pm CST
Rated X wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

That's all done on Bandai's end. Machine Robo is considered a separate brand from GoBots much like how both the original and currently new Diaclone lines are separate from Transformers. Bandai owns everything Machine Robo, while Warner Bros. owns the GoBots cartoon and Hasbro owns the GoBots intellectual property.

Rated X wrote:Maybe certain characters or even the name "Gobots" might not be able to be used. But something can easily be done to circumvent the legal woes.
Bandai can allow Action Toys to do anything with their new Machine Robo toys as long as they're sold as Machine Robo and not GoBots since Bandai doesn't own the GoBots IP.

Rated X wrote:But the interest just isnt there. Gobots will always be seen as wanna-be Transformers in America. They were back then and they would be now if a film came out. The only time I can think of that 2 competing franchises equally held their own in popularity was Mortal Kombat vs. Street Fighter.
Indeed. Transformers was the stronger of the two back then, marketed better and handled better between its two parent companies (Hasbro and Takara) overall. And nowadays, GoBots has the infamous reputation of having been unanimously lame even though it was only a slightly, rather than a significantly, weaker series than the Transformers.
Re: ROM and M.A.S.K. Live-Action Movies Not Likely to Happen Anymore (1932668)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on January 20th, 2018 @ 1:04pm CST
I think its the right call, neither movie would do well in the current market. MASK is to over the top & to 80s, its best left in the world of animation & comics where it works well. Rom on the other hand i think could be a good movie if done right, only thing is people would call it a transformers rip off so that would hurt it. Better to put it on the back burner and do it at a later time, once transformers has fizzled out of memory for a bit.
Re: ROM and M.A.S.K. Live-Action Movies Not Likely to Happen Anymore (1932669)
Posted by Black Hat on January 20th, 2018 @ 1:05pm CST
Rated X wrote:

Dude, it's hard to get less cool than the 80s G.I. Joe or Transformers cartoons. Not to say they're unwatchable, but they aren't good. They're fun because they're so, so silly.
Transformers products from AMAZON