ROTF, $760 million worldwide and counting

ROTF, $760 million worldwide and counting

Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009 2:02am CDT

Categories: Movie Related News, Company News
Posted by: i_amtrunks   Views: 14,634

Transformers Revenge of the Fallen has eclipsed the original Transformers Live action film in terms of worldwide gross.

While the original Transformers live action film grossed just over $700 million worldwide in four months, Revenge of the Fallen has made $760 million in less than a month.

While it has surpassed the monetary takings of the original film, Revenge of the Fallen has yet to repeat the feat of the original: more than quadrupling the cost budget to make the film (although that is not far away.)

Revenge of the Fallen now sits at #27 on the worldwide highest grossing film of all time, four positions ahead of the original film.

For more stats and details on both the original and sequel films, please check out Box Office Mojo.

Credit(s): Box Office Mojo

Re: ROTF, $760 million worldwide and counting (959504)
Posted by Primus1101 on July 22nd, 2009 @ 8:15am CDT
To be honest, just tell me when it tops Titanic. :wink:
Re: ROTF, $760 million worldwide and counting (959536)
Posted by Mechastrike on July 22nd, 2009 @ 9:43am CDT
Primus1101:
To be honest, just tell me when it tops Titanic. :wink:

same here dude, same here :APPLAUSE:
Re: ROTF, $760 million worldwide and counting (959545)
Posted by First-Aid on July 22nd, 2009 @ 9:55am CDT
We're here a month into release and the movie still comes in at third in the movie listings on a weekly basis, beating out new movies. I expect it to be third again this week behind G-Force (which IMHO has a very racist character, BTW) and Harry Potter and the Beating of the Dead Horse...though I will admit, TF could beat Potter for second. Potter pulled in $50 million less on its opening week than TF did...mainly, I think, due to the broader target audience for TF compared to Potter.

This movie is going to hit $1 billion. It's only a matter of time.
Re: ROTF, $760 million worldwide and counting (959568)
Posted by originaldave77 on July 22nd, 2009 @ 10:41am CDT

Also, I'd like to see some animated direct-to-video movies (like Marvel and DC are releasing these days) with the TF and GI JOE properties. If freaking Barbie can do it all the time...why can't Transformers? Plus it would be a great forum for the long-anticipated TF/JOE crossover.
Re: ROTF, $760 million worldwide and counting (959573)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on July 22nd, 2009 @ 10:59am CDT
First-Aid wrote: Harry Potter and the Beating of the Dead Horse

LMFAO!!! :lol:

This movie is going to hit $1 billion. It's only a matter of time.

I think it will as well. It still has at least another month in theaters. I've seen it 6 times, I might see it once more next month. I don't even care if it beats Titanic, as long as it hits $1 billion, it'll be in rare company. (Titanic and Star Wars, right?)
Re: ROTF, $760 million worldwide and counting (959574)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on July 22nd, 2009 @ 11:00am CDT
originaldave77 wrote:If I was Paramount, I would actually re-release TF:ROTF in September, as a double-bill with GI JOE, for a reduced ticket price ($5-$8). I'm pretty sure studios used to pull this stunt once in awhile, I just can't remember the last time!

70s, baby! Grindhouse! :twisted:
Re: ROTF, $760 million worldwide and counting (959576)
Posted by Sabrblade on July 22nd, 2009 @ 11:06am CDT
With the way things are going, would it be able to beat Titanic before Hairy Potty and the Half-Wit Prince does?
Re: ROTF, $760 million worldwide and counting (959579)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on July 22nd, 2009 @ 11:10am CDT
Hairy Pothead will never beat Titanic. Not this one, anyway. The last one might have a shot. Part 2 anyway.
Re: ROTF, $760 million worldwide and counting (959619)
Posted by Cyberstrike on July 22nd, 2009 @ 12:07pm CDT
Rodimus Prime wrote:If I was Paramount, I would actually re-release TF:ROTF in September, as a double-bill with GI JOE, for a reduced ticket price ($5-$8). I'm pretty sure studios used to pull this stunt once in awhile, I just can't remember the last time!

Miramax did it a few years ago with The Grindhouse double feature of Planet Terror and Death Proof. I don't think it was very sucessful because no one else in Hollywood has copied it...yet.
Re: ROTF, $760 million worldwide and counting (959673)
Posted by Ronynus Prime on July 22nd, 2009 @ 1:27pm CDT
Cyberstrike wrote:

Columbia Tristar actually did it a few years before that by double-billing Men In Black II with the first Spider-Man film, and it wasn't an amazing success, but it prooved popular enough. Paramount may be on to something profitable if the double bill both Hasbro properties a month or so after G.I. Joe is officially released. I wouldn't mind catching it in theatres.

Re: ROTF, $760 million worldwide and counting (959950)
Posted by Iamwarhorse on July 22nd, 2009 @ 8:55pm CDT
I actually think it might be beneficial to Paramount, that after Harry Potter has had it's run in Imax, grab IMAX away and have double tickets for Transformers and Star Trek (a movie that has been loved by the critics and the public)

As for Transformer making a billion. While I would love it, I highly doubt it. I think it will max out the most, maybe 910 million. And Harry Potter will beat it world wide. It already made half of what Transformers made WW in less than a week. And I'm distraught, but not surprised, because Harry Potter 6 was awful. I can safely say, I didn't doze off once when watching TF2. How could anyone fall asleep during TF2 is beyond me. But Harry Potter and HBP, I can definitely see.

Also of note, it's possible that Ice age 3 could beat out Transformers in WW totals as well. Possible.

TF2 Dom, 392-407 million WW 850-910 million.

And it will be a loooonnnggg time before Titanic is ever beat. Domestically, it will be possible within a few short years, but WW. It's still like 800 million ahead of LOTR ROTK.

This weekend I see

G-Force with 40 million
Harry Pothead with 30 million
Ice Age 3 with 12 million
TF2 with 10 million.
Re: ROTF, $760 million worldwide and counting (963905)
Posted by CandyCane23049 on July 28th, 2009 @ 11:32pm CDT
Saw both movies and between the two think Harry Potter was better.IMHO

Also I wonder how much more Harry would have made, if I-max would have been opened from the beginning. :-? \

ROTF got my money once Harry Potter 3x's.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Deluxe Class Arcee Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Swindle" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #267 - Netflix Earthrise Reviewed
"Netflix Earthrise Reviewed"
Posted: Monday, December 28th, 2020

Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Caliburst & Slugslinger Deluxe Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Triggerhappy Deluxe Hasbro Pre-Owned" on EBAY
Buy "Takaratomy Transformers Legends LG30 Wheelie &Go Shooter Action Figure To..." on EBAY
Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-48 Brawn & Repugnus Robot Figure Toy" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return, SKY SHADOW, Leader Class, Generations" on EBAY