ROTF Ties for First Place At Box Office This Weekend

ROTF Ties for First Place At Box Office This Weekend

Sunday, July 5th, 2009 4:47pm CDT

Categories: Movie Related News, Digital Media News
Posted by: DevastaTTor   Views: 11,111

Despite being listed as second behind the new Ice Age movie, both Ice Age 3 and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen took in roughly the same amount at the Box Office this holiday weekend. According to BoxOfficeMojo.com and Yahoo Movies, both movies tied for first place and earned an estimated $42,500,000.00 domestically. While this is a huge decline over it's opening 5 days, this still means that in the US alone, in it's first 12 days (plus the midnight show), the total haul for TF2 is over 293,000,000 dollars. To put that number in perspective, Spiderman 2 brought in just over 256,000,000 in the same 12 day period. Add to that what ROTF has earned globally and that figure balloons to over 591,000,000.

To view all the estimate weekend totals and see how ROTF is stacking up against the biggest movies over the past 20-30 years, click on the link below.

BoxOfficeMojo.com

Credit(s): BoxOfficMojo.com, Yahoo.com Movies

Re: ROTF Ties for First Place At Box Office This Weekend (948803)
Posted by NuclearConvoy on July 5th, 2009 @ 5:27pm CDT
I added my 17CAD to see it on IMAX this weekend. Add that to the 11CAD for the opening day screening and I have, personally, contributed 28 dollars to this movie's box office takings.

I don't know why, but I feel proud.
Re: ROTF Ties for First Place At Box Office This Weekend (948875)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on July 5th, 2009 @ 8:39pm CDT
Re: ROTF Ties for First Place At Box Office This Weekend (948883)
Posted by Vekoma on July 5th, 2009 @ 9:01pm CDT
Transformers will make alot of money out of the fact people will see it twice, as i did. It's still got a bit to go to meet TF1, with it around 700mill total. :P
Re: ROTF Ties for First Place At Box Office This Weekend (948884)
Posted by NuclearConvoy on July 5th, 2009 @ 9:03pm CDT
Megatron Wolf wrote:Ice age took in that much already? Never saw that one coming. Still glad i have yet (and probably wont) contribute to the ROTF earnings. Iv been invited to see it in IMAX this week but i dont think i want to waste my last movie pass just to see a 35 foot tall Prime.

The movie was WELL worth seeing on IMAX. It was visually gorgeous, and on the larger screen some of the detail was just so much clearer. Also, I dunno, seeing it the second time also helped me follow bits better, and like some characters more (but not that I disliked them the first time). I'm not going to say the movie was perfect, but I enjoyed it and I didn't have any problem following the plot (even though I admit it was messy and a little all over the place). I think, if you're a transformers fan, you will at least enjoy aspects of it.
Re: ROTF Ties for First Place At Box Office This Weekend (948913)
Posted by ShGarland_1383 on July 5th, 2009 @ 10:28pm CDT
Glad my seeing it twice in as many days helped.
:grin:
Re: ROTF Ties for First Place At Box Office This Weekend (948977)
Posted by SoooTrypticon on July 6th, 2009 @ 2:22am CDT

I will be surprised if it manages to limp to 400 million in the US as it only has a few weekends before it goes up against the likes of Harry Potter- a franchise that has very little in the way of dog humping, robot pissing, testicle jokes, bad acting, shallow characters, or female exploitation- but still manages to attract the "masses." And the kids like it too.

400 million is a whole lot still, so a sequel is guaranteed- unless the two stars have a freak out and run for better material.

I asked two friends who were not Transformer fans what could possibly make the third film worse than the second. Their immediate response:

"Re-release this one again."

Then we all congratulated ourselves for contributing to Pixar's bank account, went for a walk, and got ice-cream. We laughed all the way.
Re: ROTF Ties for First Place At Box Office This Weekend (949008)
Posted by Joshua Vallse on July 6th, 2009 @ 4:16am CDT
Go figure. Dinosaurs going toe to toe with giant robots.

Add these two to together...you get Dinobots! Yay :P

SoooTrypticon wrote:That's still a huge drop off- and if you adjust ticket prices- fewer people are actually going to see this one than the last. Fewer people equals fewer repeat viewings, which leads to massive drop offs like the one we just saw.

"Re-release this one again."

I agree whole heartedly with this. A 3rd movie is coming no matter what, with or without Shia or Fox, though Fox seems more willing to sign on a third film then Shia. And with or without Bay either....in fact it would be funny if the producers and the movie house chose Megan over Bay if they had to choose. Ha ha ha.

Now if Paramount learns that Dinos + Robots + A story = awesome summer blockbuster........I would be quite happy. To be honest though I think TF2 has maybe two weeks of staying power before if fades. There are also sleeper movies coming out like Sector 9 and Quintin's Inglorious Bastard to appeal to the tween and college demograph as well as GI Joe combined with Potter combined with The Last Airbender (Avatar) to sway the kiddies away from all the Bayhem. Combine that with the fuzzy hamsters of G-Force and a childs short attention span.......TF2's primary demograph is sure to whisp away.

So far, the only two movies I'm looking forward to are where the Wild Things Are. And Sherlock Holmes. Inglorious Bastard is up there, but only if I can see it with my my slew of guy friends (The same type of guys you would take to watch Rambo for instance, or even the Hangover) so we can mock or praise it, pending if it's better then Deathproof.

Laters,
Josh
Re: ROTF Ties for First Place At Box Office This Weekend (949017)
Posted by Heavy B on July 6th, 2009 @ 4:59am CDT
huh, i kinda figured dillinger woud pose a threat to rotf's supremacy...but ICE AGE? what a tweest
Re: ROTF Ties for First Place At Box Office This Weekend (949020)
Posted by Steamed_Ham on July 6th, 2009 @ 5:04am CDT

Of the Top 3 films though I think Public Enemies is easily the best, and I think it's a shame it's getting nowhere near the top spot. A shame, but not surprising.
Re: ROTF Ties for First Place At Box Office This Weekend (949072)
Posted by DevastaTTor on July 6th, 2009 @ 8:08am CDT
If I had to guess, I'd say that in the US, ROTF will probably top out at around 375-380 million by the time it really slows down/disappears. It's still going to have a couple of pretty good weekends and do OK during the next couple of weeks, especially as long as it's showing in IMAX. Globally, I would expect the final overall total in the 780-800 million dollar range. Not too shabby for a flick that cost 200 million to produce.

Might as well mark your calendars for late June 2012 unless Hasbro/Dreamworks fast tracks the next one for 2011.
Re: ROTF Ties for First Place At Box Office This Weekend (949090)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on July 6th, 2009 @ 9:08am CDT
Earlier I thought it would have a shot at a billion, but now it probably won't happen. But I do think it will surpass the first film's final of 708 million.
Re: ROTF Ties for First Place At Box Office This Weekend (949347)
Posted by Joshua Vallse on July 6th, 2009 @ 4:00pm CDT
Steamed_Ham wrote:For all of it's flaws ROTF deserves to beat Ice Age 3. Ice Age 3 is anemic, it didn't even feel like they were trying. I know I'm not exactly in the target audience for it, but I love cartoons (can you tell? :wink: ) and there have been too many good ones recently to give this a pass; in terms of sheer fun Monsters Vs. Aliens wipes the floor with Ice Age 3. Even the 3-D wasn't that good.

Interesting,
I still have to take my sis to see it. She loves these movies as well and she's in college. And I'm a sucker for 3D movies, especially the ones at the IMAX in Exposition Blvd. The original IMAX mind you. I luved Monsters Vs Aliens.

Public Enemies wasn't as great as I had hoped. In fact I thought it was too long, and didn't really develop alot of the characters or Dillingers collision course with both the Organized crime syndicate or Hoover. And Christian Bale felt a little bland sadly. I take no joy in saying this, but he did. I did like the music though. So thats a plus. I just would have liked more development and conflict developed between Bales character and Baby Face Nelson or Pretty Boy. As well as Dillingers interaction with Baby Face......

But it's fun to watch. God knows I'd see this movie again if I had to choose between PE and ROTF.
BTW, I don't know if anyone here is versed in Godzilla. One of the Agents in Public Enemies under Bales command was the General I think in Godzilla Final Wars. I was stoked to see him, but sad when he didn't get any speaking roles. Which is a loss being this guy has a great Sgt. Slaughter appeal to him :lol:

Laters,
Josh
Re: ROTF Ties for First Place At Box Office This Weekend (949412)
Posted by NuclearConvoy on July 6th, 2009 @ 5:29pm CDT
Joshua Vallse wrote:

Interesting,

Laters,
Josh

General my ASS. He was the Captain of the Gotengo, Captain Gordon. Played by Don Frye.

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #268 - Call Me 2020
"Call Me 2020"
Posted: Monday, January 18th, 2021

Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers SS-13 Shadow Raider Japan Import" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Dark of the Moon Legend Class Bumblebee cyberverse" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Dark Of The Moon Jetwing Optimus Prime Amazon Exclusive MISB" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers: Lot Megatron Shockwave Hammerbyte Cyberverse Adventures" on EBAY
Buy "transformers vintage lot Hightower, Grimlock, Rollbar (used/incomplete with Box)" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 57 Offroad Bumblebee" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Universe Armada Unicron with minicon Dead End 100% Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Original G1 Transformers Constructicon Scrapper Laser Pistol Weapon Lot" on EBAY