Saturday, May 7th, 2016 11:50am CDT

Categories: Toy News, Rumors
Posted by: shajaki   Views: 39,231

Thanks to Seibertronians Fenrir72 and ScottyP for notifying us about the next (possible) Beast Wars Masterpiece figure: Cheetor! While it seems all but confirmed by Twitter user くろさび@chromless, it should still be taken with a grain of salt until there is more to report. What's being said however, is at a Q&A Beast Wars Panel at Transfest2016 that Cheetor is to be next and that more info will be coming to us June. It might surprise folks that Megatron is not following Optimus Primal, but this could be a sign that Beast Wars may become a mainstay in the Masterpiece line. See the Tweet image and Panel below, and stay tuned to Seibertron.com: home for the best Galleries and Conversation around!

Transformers News: RUMOR: TakaraTomy Transformers Masterpiece Chetas/Cheetor - Next Beast Wars MP

Credit(s): Fenrir72/ScottyP@Seibertron, くろさび@chromless

Re: RUMOR: TakaraTomy Transformers Masterpiece Chetas / Cheetor - Next Beast Wars MP (1787478)
Posted by Kurona on May 7th, 2016 @ 12:10pm CDT
Well, that's... certainly out of the blue and out of nowhere.
I'm not entirely sure how to take this - or maybe, I am sure, it's just it's brought about a thousand thoughts buzzing in my mind and I'm having a hard time deciding where to start.
Okay, so... Primal wasn't a one-off thing? I mean, on his own I can't see I'd care for an MP Cheetor - bring on an MP Dinobot or Megatron imo - but... if this is implying a whole MP sub-line or something that runs alongside MP just to make MP versions of the original 10 Beast Wars cartoon cast? ... screw it, bring it on. I'd love that. I might even be a little more interested in getting all of them over all the G1 MPs; I mean with G1, it's a little overwhelming - there's more characters in the first G1 episode than there is in the entirety of Beast Wars. The idea of just the original 10 Beast Wars guys as MPs is appealing partly because it's an easy, finite number while G1's could conceivably go on until they've made every single character from 1984-1986. And of those there's only a select few I could see myself getting - I really loved BW and I love all the characters, so having a display of all 10 of the original cast is a nice idea.

But... again, is this implying the original 10? Or are they just making Cheetor and maybe a couple others on top of Primal? If it's not going to be the original 10 I'd at least hope for - and kinda expect - Megatron.

This is probably a bit too much speculation going off of a simple rumour, but, uh... wow. I was expecting another conehead or Jazz or Hound or something to be the next MP after Inferno/Primal, but... actually, no, I put it fine the first time. Wow.
Re: RUMOR: TakaraTomy Transformers Masterpiece Chetas / Cheetor - Next Beast Wars MP (1787480)
Posted by Desslok2201 on May 7th, 2016 @ 12:13pm CDT
I really wish the BW MPs would be a separate numbering system
Re: RUMOR: TakaraTomy Transformers Masterpiece Chetas / Cheetor - Next Beast Wars MP (1787485)
Posted by ScottyP on May 7th, 2016 @ 12:24pm CDT
I think this is the right choice for MP treatment. Cheetor doesn't really have a good toy representation. I like the original toy, but the Generations update's attempt at a more definitive version was a swing and a miss.
Re: RUMOR: TakaraTomy Transformers Masterpiece Chetas / Cheetor - Next Beast Wars MP (1787486)
Posted by Sigma Magnus on May 7th, 2016 @ 12:26pm CDT
:-? Interesting...would've preferred Megatron before Mr. Kid-Appeal, though I can deal with this. I hope this means that Masterpiece will be expanding its horizons. Who knows, maybe we'll start getting Masterpieces from the Unicron Trilogy.
Re: RUMOR: TakaraTomy Transformers Masterpiece Chetas / Cheetor - Next Beast Wars MP (1787500)
Posted by kurthy on May 7th, 2016 @ 12:57pm CDT
I like this! Cheetor may not be my bag but, as Scotty pointed out, he's never gotten a decent toy of his season 1 show model. Still, least favorite BW character (and maybe second least BM character).

That said, I'll be really happy should they give me MP of any BW guy/gal. The season 1 characters are great because they've never had good toy versions except Rhinox and Rattrap and even those could use a little improvement. Just as long as the rest don't have chaps like Primal. :HEADHURTS:

And someone please give Megatron a rubber ducky that fits in his hand. ;)^
Re: RUMOR: TakaraTomy Transformers Masterpiece Chetas / Cheetor - Next Beast Wars MP (1787505)
Posted by Kurona on May 7th, 2016 @ 1:03pm CDT
kurthy wrote:And someone please give Megatron a rubber ducky that fits in his hand. ;)^

You just skyrocketed my opinion of a possibility of BW Megatron from "that would be really cool and would eventually pick up" to "MAKE IT RIGHT NOW"
Re: RUMOR: TakaraTomy Transformers Masterpiece Chetas / Cheetor - Next Beast Wars MP (1787509)
Posted by Railbomb on May 7th, 2016 @ 1:10pm CDT
A little... unexpected for number 2. I'll start being a little concerned if we don't have Megatron by the 5th BW MP. Tigatron will likely be following Cheetor and I wouldn't mind getting Dinobot before Megs. Hopefully we'll get at least the original crews at some point.
Re: RUMOR: TakaraTomy Transformers Masterpiece Chetas / Cheetor - Next Beast Wars MP (1787513)
Posted by shajaki on May 7th, 2016 @ 1:29pm CDT
Oh man. Simultaneously overjoyed that MP BW isn't a one time deal, and furious that Cheetor is being released before Dinobot. The only one I'd have accepted is Megatron.

Still overjoyed though ;)
Re: RUMOR: TakaraTomy Transformers Masterpiece Chetas / Cheetor - Next Beast Wars MP (1787580)
Posted by DecepticonFinishline on May 7th, 2016 @ 6:11pm CDT
Desslok2201 wrote:I really wish the BW MPs would be a separate numbering system

That's where I was with Star Saber, but now it just doesn't matter.

WHY? Why though?! Why ISN'T IS MEGATRON DAMMIT?! :PREDACON:

WE. HAVE. TOO. MANY. HEROES.

We need more villains. Seriously. Every shelf ever is absurdly unbalanced.
Re: RUMOR: TakaraTomy Transformers Masterpiece Chetas / Cheetor - Next Beast Wars MP (1787610)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 7th, 2016 @ 8:00pm CDT
If this is true, then YES! Cheetor was my favorite character of the show as a kid (nowadays it's much harder for me to pick just one as my favorite) so this pleases me very much.

DecepticonFinishline wrote:WHY? Why though?! Why ISN'T IS MEGATRON DAMMIT?! :PREDACON:

WE. HAVE. TOO. MANY. HEROES.

We need more villains. Seriously. Every shelf ever is absurdly unbalanced.
There's a longstanding belief that good guys are more marketable/popular/successful than bad guys in Japan. If you look at a lot of Japanese toylines, there's a distinct lack of bad guy figures in comparison to how many good guys there usually are, with a lot of any anime and/or manga series that tie into those lines having a lot of non-toy villains.
Re: RUMOR: TakaraTomy Transformers Masterpiece Chetas / Cheetor - Next Beast Wars MP (1787612)
Posted by Zeedust on May 7th, 2016 @ 8:02pm CDT
I'm not surprised that Megatron wasn't next. Hasbro and Takara both tend to make more good guys than bad guys, sometimes to an extreme degree.

Re: RUMOR: TakaraTomy Transformers Masterpiece Chetas / Cheetor - Next Beast Wars MP (1787613)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 7th, 2016 @ 8:05pm CDT
Zeedust wrote:However, I am surprised that they're doing another BW character at all. Are they running out of Autobot cars and alternate Seeker color schemes or something? Is something other than G1 really starting to be important, even if only in Japan?
They're doing BW MPs this year in celebration of the 20th anniversary. Come about another year or two and the MP line will likely go back to being solely G1 characters.
Re: RUMOR: TakaraTomy Transformers Masterpiece Chetas / Cheetor - Next Beast Wars MP (1787617)
Posted by Hellscream9999 on May 7th, 2016 @ 8:18pm CDT
Awesome, hopefully it works out, the design (a lean cheetah) doesn't lend itself to a 'big transformer'. It's almost like TT's taunting me, offering a tantalizing taste at the BW crew I always wanted - but they're going to be so expensive :-(
Re: RUMOR: TakaraTomy Transformers Masterpiece Chetas / Cheetor - Next Beast Wars MP (1787620)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 7th, 2016 @ 8:20pm CDT

Re: RUMOR: TakaraTomy Transformers Masterpiece Chetas / Cheetor - Next Beast Wars MP (1787623)
Posted by fenrir72 on May 7th, 2016 @ 8:21pm CDT
DecepticonFinishline wrote:
Desslok2201 wrote:I really wish the BW MPs would be a separate numbering system

That's where I was with Star Saber, but now it just doesn't matter.

WHY? Why though?! Why ISN'T IS MEGATRON DAMMIT?! :PREDACON:

WE. HAVE. TOO. MANY. HEROES.

We need more villains. Seriously. Every shelf ever is absurdly unbalanced.

Unless it's someone like Char Aznable "villains" always get second billing.
Re: RUMOR: TakaraTomy Transformers Masterpiece Chetas / Cheetor - Next Beast Wars MP (1787628)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on May 7th, 2016 @ 8:34pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:Also, there's a typo in this thread's title. Cheetor's Japanese name is spelled as "Cheetus".

Has there ever been an "official" romanisation of the name, straight from TakaraTomy and not licensed merchandise? If not, there can't be typos, as we don't have a "correct" spelling at all.
Re: RUMOR: TakaraTomy Transformers Masterpiece Chetas / Cheetor - Next Beast Wars MP (1787632)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 7th, 2016 @ 8:45pm CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:

At first I thought there wasn't, but after some quick research, turns out yes there is.

Re: RUMOR: TakaraTomy Transformers Masterpiece Chetas / Cheetor - Next Beast Wars MP (1787640)
Posted by kurthy on May 7th, 2016 @ 9:05pm CDT
fenrir72 wrote:
DecepticonFinishline wrote:
Desslok2201 wrote:I really wish the BW MPs would be a separate numbering system

That's where I was with Star Saber, but now it just doesn't matter.

WHY? Why though?! Why ISN'T IS MEGATRON DAMMIT?! :PREDACON:

WE. HAVE. TOO. MANY. HEROES.

We need more villains. Seriously. Every shelf ever is absurdly unbalanced.

Unless it's someone like Char Aznable "villains" always get second billing.

Even though said heroes wouldn't exist without those villains. Makes me miss MOTU, G.I. Joe, and M.A.S.K. from the '80s. You can't have a proper war on your floor if you only have one side. :BANG_HEAD:

But I actually understand the economics of the situation. Both factions will be bought by more well-to-do families because they can afford more than one and don't want to buy the same figure. But if you can only buy one for your kid, are you going to buy a good guy or a bad guy? The kid is probably going to want the good guy first and foremost (please don't forget that low income families far outnumber middle and upper class families). Hence, they will sell more Optimus Primes and Bumblebees than Megatrons and Starscreams. Basically, the assumption is that most families will buy a OP or BB, some families will buy a smattering, and very few families will only buy a Megatron/SS.

And that's great logic for the lower end of the spectrum. But when it comes to MPs, they are cost prohibitive from the beginning and not targeted at families, so when it comes to that, GIVE ME MY QUEEN AND LET THE REST BURN! :michaelbay: :PREDACON: :PREDACON: :PREDACON: :michaelbay: :PREDACON:
Re: RUMOR: TakaraTomy Transformers Masterpiece Chetas / Cheetor - Next Beast Wars MP (1787641)
Posted by Kurona on May 7th, 2016 @ 9:11pm CDT
kurthy wrote:
fenrir72 wrote:
DecepticonFinishline wrote:
Desslok2201 wrote:I really wish the BW MPs would be a separate numbering system

That's where I was with Star Saber, but now it just doesn't matter.

WHY? Why though?! Why ISN'T IS MEGATRON DAMMIT?! :PREDACON:

WE. HAVE. TOO. MANY. HEROES.

We need more villains. Seriously. Every shelf ever is absurdly unbalanced.

Unless it's someone like Char Aznable "villains" always get second billing.

And that's great logic for the lower end of the spectrum. But when it comes to MPs, they are cost prohibitive from the beginning and not targeted at families, so when it comes to that, GIVE ME MY QUEEN AND LET THE REST BURN! :PREDACON: :PREDACON: :PREDACON: :PREDACON:

True, but that doesn't prevent it from being a value and tradition being deep-rooted into decision making and how fans of such markets perceive things. It's very complicated and would likely get into psychology so I'm just gonna skip to the other more obvious point.
There were much fewer decepticons then autobots in the first couple years of G1, and of those they were the most notorious mold re-users (10 decepticons of 1984 and Megatron, Ravage and Soundwave are the only ones who had unique molds). They got a whopping 6 main characters out of the general Plane mold, the Bird cassette and Robot cassette each had two uses, and by that point you're left with the two gun molds, the cassette player mold, the two triple-changing molds, the three insect molds and the panther cassette mold. Not to count the combining molds which Takara have stated will never see use.
Meanwhile, the Autobots still haven't burned through their 17 characters of 1984.
Believe I want more 'cons; I'd love to have a Blitzwing and I much prefer the lineup - hell, I think I prefer the 'cons not despite their smaller number but because of their smaller number. It's much easier to remember, group and differentiate them while I always forget at least 3 guys from the original Autobots. But yeah, that's just the way things are...
Re: RUMOR: TakaraTomy Transformers Masterpiece Chetas / Cheetor - Next Beast Wars MP (1787642)
Posted by fenrir72 on May 7th, 2016 @ 9:12pm CDT
kurthy wrote:
fenrir72 wrote:
DecepticonFinishline wrote:
Desslok2201 wrote:I really wish the BW MPs would be a separate numbering system

That's where I was with Star Saber, but now it just doesn't matter.

WHY? Why though?! Why ISN'T IS MEGATRON DAMMIT?! :PREDACON:

WE. HAVE. TOO. MANY. HEROES.

We need more villains. Seriously. Every shelf ever is absurdly unbalanced.

Unless it's someone like Char Aznable "villains" always get second billing.

Kind of sad too. Starscream got the re-issue/improved(?) design first (maybe because of the potential to repaint the mold to infinity) and his "popularity" over an improve MP Megatron G1. Sorry if I hurt BW fans but if they, TT does issue a Megatron, let it be a G1 version first the BW Megs

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Siege on Cybertron 5-Figure Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 06 Voyager Class Movie 1 Starscream" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #270 - An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster
"An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster"
Posted: Sunday, February 14th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition Autobots Inter Ops BLASTER PERCEPTOR Christmas Toy" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition UNICRON Action Figure Christmas Kid Gift Toy Hot" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS 3A / THREEZERO Bumblebee Movie DLX Nemesis Prime Pulse Limited MISB" on EBAY
Buy "1/24 Metals Transformers Movie Vehicle Crosshairs Jada Toys ships/box/cardboard/" on EBAY
Buy "Funko Pop Nemesis Prime Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "HERO MASHERS TRANSFORMERS - AUTO BOT RODIMUS" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Power Of The Primes Insecticon SKRAPNEL - SHRAPNEL" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Steeljaw Age of Extinction Robots in Disguise One-Step; AOE, 1-Step" on EBAY