Thursday, July 20th, 2017 3:20pm CDT

Categories: Toy News, Event News
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 35,003

We have seen the Hasbro SDCC 2017 display, had a revealing breakfast, assisted the panel and now it's time to see the official product images. These are 3D renders, so the exact colouring is not always the same as it will look in toy form. It is also not obvious what is painted, what is stickered and what is coloured plastic so just keep that in mind. These particular images are all for the Power of the Primes line and feature:

Starscream
Jazz
Rodimus Prime
Beachcomber
Dreadwing
Pime Master Liege Maximo

Let us know which of these toys you are looking most forward to!

Transformers News: SDCC 2017: Official Images for Transformers Power of the Primes Toys #HasbroSDCC

Credit(s): transformers facebook page

Re: SDCC 2017: Official Images for Transformers Power of the Primes Toys #HasbroSDCC (1898031)
Posted by o.supreme on July 20th, 2017 @ 3:23pm CDT
Two Adverts for RP, and none for poor Darkwing ;). Also I thought it was strange changing his name to "Blackwing" (considering it seems they want to be PC and remove any trace of that color from any of their TF names like Black Skyshadow, Black Convoy RiD Scourge etc...) But then I guess, they had to change the name due to a certain superhero duck Disney probably still has name rights to...
Re: SDCC 2017: Official Images for Transformers Power of the Primes Toys #HasbroSDCC (1898032)
Posted by Evil Eye on July 20th, 2017 @ 3:24pm CDT

Is Starscream a combiner torso?
Re: SDCC 2017: Official Images for Transformers Power of the Primes Toys #HasbroSDCC (1898034)
Posted by Sabrblade on July 20th, 2017 @ 3:28pm CDT
Black Hat wrote:Waaaaaait a minute. Look at those black blocks on Starscream's null-rays. And look at those suspicious voids on his forearms...

Is Starscream a combiner torso?
Re: SDCC 2017: Official Images for Transformers Power of the Primes Toys #HasbroSDCC (1898036)
Posted by RAR on July 20th, 2017 @ 3:30pm CDT
I'm certain Jazz has 100% Combiner limb compatibility.
All he's missing is the Hand-foot-gun - you can even see the 5mm port hole in his left ankle.
Re: SDCC 2017: Official Images for Transformers Power of the Primes Toys #HasbroSDCC (1898038)
Posted by Marcdachamp on July 20th, 2017 @ 3:31pm CDT
Rodimus is a must-own. Love Skullgrin/Liege Maximo. Like Beachcomber a lot, but I really want him in G2 colors.
Re: SDCC 2017: Official Images for Transformers Power of the Primes Toys #HasbroSDCC (1898039)
Posted by SureShot18 on July 20th, 2017 @ 3:31pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:

Is Starscream a combiner torso?

So what I'm seeing is that every Voyager is going to have ridiculously big boxing gloves. I sure hope not but if that's the case, I probably won't get many voyagers.
Re: SDCC 2017: Official Images for Transformers Power of the Primes Toys #HasbroSDCC (1898041)
Posted by william-james88 on July 20th, 2017 @ 3:33pm CDT

Is Starscream a combiner torso?

Isnt taht just the big hole where his massive fists hide into when you transform him. Like with every other bot with holes in his forearms?

Re: SDCC 2017: Official Images for Transformers Power of the Primes Toys #HasbroSDCC (1898046)
Posted by LE0KING on July 20th, 2017 @ 3:36pm CDT
Re: SDCC 2017: Official Images for Transformers Power of the Primes Toys #HasbroSDCC (1898048)
Posted by william-james88 on July 20th, 2017 @ 3:39pm CDT
RAR wrote:I'm certain Jazz has 100% Combiner limb compatibility.

He does come with one, it becomes chest armour that the prime master can plug into.

Sabrblade wrote:The Voyagers' gimmick is that that Prime Masters connect to the Voyagers' arms in robot mode.

They may connect differently, as was hinted in the panel.

Re: SDCC 2017: Official Images for Transformers Power of the Primes Toys #HasbroSDCC (1898049)
Posted by grimdragon2001 on July 20th, 2017 @ 3:39pm CDT
LE0KING wrote:Can we take a minute to acknowledge the fact that overlord can store the matrix in his chest! (Evil giggle)

thats a cool idea
Re: SDCC 2017: Official Images for Transformers Power of the Primes Toys #HasbroSDCC (1898051)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on July 20th, 2017 @ 3:39pm CDT
I just realized something about this new Jazz mold. He doesn't have the door wings. That actually makes his silhouette a lot more G1 animation accurate! While the "Reveal the Shield/Transformers: United" release of Jazz is clearly a superior figure, it does have the door wings, which are perfectly G1 toy accurate, but not G1 cartoon animation model accurate. That distinction does make a big difference for some fans. I usually do sway much more towards cartoon accuracy, but the door wings on my United Jazz don't really bother me.
Re: SDCC 2017: Official Images for Transformers Power of the Primes Toys #HasbroSDCC (1898052)
Posted by RAR on July 20th, 2017 @ 3:40pm CDT
People have been begging for a decent Voyager Starscream since Unicron Trilogy and I don't really consider this a success - from what I can see of it so far it has just as many niggles as the Leader had for me.

It's fine if you look at it in a Unicron Trilogy context as a Gimmick Kids line Voyager - But it's not really floating my boat as a Default Voyager Starscream - i'd even go so far to say that the South American one (which I do own) is a more pleasing looking toy and even Cloud Starscream isn't that much worse at pulling of the Starscream with a gimmick idea while still evoking Starscream.

Maybe the playpattern will raise him a couple of points - and I expect the Skywarp repaint will look pretty nice.

I suppose it is broadly consistent with the Legends and Leader class ones - just a bit more greebly looking.
Re: SDCC 2017: Official Images for Transformers Power of the Primes Toys #HasbroSDCC (1898056)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on July 20th, 2017 @ 3:49pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:Personally guys, I really dislike this Starscream. I am worried as to wha the other voygers will look like.

This new Starscream is definitely the biggest downer of the reveals today. It's just so bad. Be careful what you wish for, right? :(

I'm also a bit unhappy with how big of a backpack Leader Rodimus Prime has, but there is some room to hope that it's either 1) mistransformed, 2) looks better in hand (the camera does add 20 lbs.), and/or 3) will be fun enough that the faults can be overlooked.
Re: SDCC 2017: Official Images for Transformers Power of the Primes Toys #HasbroSDCC (1898057)
Posted by RAR on July 20th, 2017 @ 3:49pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:

They may connect differently, as was hinted in the panel.

Yes I think they connect in another way on Starscream - I was just saying that the hands can be alternative hands for the toys we already have - so if you want a big ol' claw on Bruticus you can totally do that.

I also see that being touted as a bonus feature on any additional combiners. - I think Hungrrr would be great to have so perhaps they can sell him on his own and not in a gift set.

Also how about this for an alternative way to do Predaking you make a leader body that is the "Combined mode" with a lion in it then all the limbs are normal Deluxes - you can add claws and things if you want to make it even bigger perhaps the leader is some sort of Dragon or jet to provide the combined mode super mode wings - and also to tie to the Predaking Name sake of a dragon so you have a deluxe lion that brainmaster Starsaber like combines with dragon/jet to make the super mode torso.

With some cleverness the same mould with some tweaks could also be used to make Leo Prime / Victory Leo and be added to Starsaber.

-----

Oh and howabout breaking the rules a bit and making a Pretender shell of Death Cobra and then making the inner titan be Overlord's other head.

-------

Any images of the chest connector for Jazz yet ?
Re: SDCC 2017: Official Images for Transformers Power of the Primes Toys #HasbroSDCC (1898060)
Posted by MadProject on July 20th, 2017 @ 3:54pm CDT
I have an high feeling that this Starscream will be a combiner torso.
I did a rought sketch, showing where the combiner ports are, and how they transform.
My idea is that Starscream will have a transformation, for the combiner torso, similar to CW Silverbolts, where the robot arms become the legs of the combiner, and the combiner shoulders are on the legs of the robot mode.
I still have to figure out how Starscream transforms in the main body, but I suppose it will require the folding of the wings, that feature an hinge in their mid section that wouldn't have any pourpose either in the robot mode nor the vehicle mode.

starscream torso 2 sketch.jpg
Re: SDCC 2017: Official Images for Transformers Power of the Primes Toys #HasbroSDCC (1898063)
Posted by william-james88 on July 20th, 2017 @ 4:01pm CDT
Wolfman Jake wrote:

What ticks me off is they konw full well what we want and are going about it in just such an odd way.

John warden started out by delivering a Leader Jetfire, Voyagers Roadbuster and Whirl and Legends Skrapnel. All that makes sense. He totally gets it.

Then in Combiner Wars we start getting some odd scales like this seperate Leader Scale for Megs and the Seekers.

Come Titans Return and we get more of that odd Leader Scale (which is now fully integrated into the line and not apart) with Blaster being as tall as PMOP. ApeFace? Titanmaster!
:HEADHURTS:

Plus we get different scales for the monsterbots. Things arent adding up.

They know we want all these toys and characters, but clearly not in those wonky sizes.

Now in this line we get the 13 Primes. HOLY FUCK! but they are just done as avatars in the smallest scale possible. And inside Pretender shells that are also really small.

But hey at least we finally get a Voyager Starscream. But too bad he has the oddest proportions I have ever seen.

Re: SDCC 2017: Official Images for Transformers Power of the Primes Toys #HasbroSDCC (1898064)
Posted by Kurona on July 20th, 2017 @ 4:05pm CDT
Rodimus, Beachcomber, Jazz and the Powermaster Decepticons look great -- but man, Voyager Starscream disappoints me on so many levels. If only he had a bigger head and smaller arms... I don't know how they considered a design with those proportions acceptable :-(

Also not sure about "Liege Maximo". It's a pretty cool way to replace the Titan Master class, but I hope to see the same sort of intelligent and fun design the Titan Master class had than just a dude with moving arms that opens.

But man those Deluxes. Jazz is being picked right the heck up since Barber made me love him, and I'm interested in the multiple combining features of Darkwing and Dreadwind. Not priorities by any means but it should be fun. And I'm gonna bet anything that Jazz is a pretool for a Powermaster Autobot somewhere down the line - maybe a proper rendition of a certain Lost Light captain? :P

Beachcomber's cute, and while I can't get Leader classes unless they appeal to me on a huge level due to budget, I can at least respect and be impressed by the engineering going on in that Rodimus. Very, very cool. All in all, Screamer aside, a very solid first showing :)
Re: SDCC 2017: Official Images for Transformers Power of the Primes Toys #HasbroSDCC (1898065)
Posted by ExciKaiser on July 20th, 2017 @ 4:06pm CDT
Wow, I'm so much unimpressed by all this.

The gimmick looks unfun and useless contrary to titan returns.

"the not-head can become the matric inside the torso". What's the point ?

Are they keeping some announcements/reveal for later which will change how boring I see the thing ?
Re: SDCC 2017: Official Images for Transformers Power of the Primes Toys #HasbroSDCC (1898067)
Posted by o.supreme on July 20th, 2017 @ 4:07pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:it just looks like they are all over the place now and cant settle on an aesthetic, all while being heralded by the same team!

To be honest, I loved the CW line, its what brought me back after 10 years of being out, and TR has been really great also, but I fully agree the size inconsistencies are quite an annoyance. Plus you get things like a TM Brawn & Legends Class Brawn in the same line???--I mean both toys on their own are pretty cool, but again the lack of consistency is really a head scratcher for sure.
Re: SDCC 2017: Official Images for Transformers Power of the Primes Toys #HasbroSDCC (1898068)
Posted by RAR on July 20th, 2017 @ 4:12pm CDT
They seem to have ditched the crummy stickers (hopefully) but I will actually be a wretch and now complain that Starscream could loose the cutsey Destron numbering and the MP homaging 'No step' deco as they are both a lot less sexy than an extra white stripe would have been.

Also isn't Starscream suppose to be handsome.? I might call this Chunky but it's not elegant in anyway.

--------

I wonder if they will make a Nova Prime like body for one of the leader class something similar to Rodimus only with the big old wings and then the cab-robot functionality.

I do think they torsos may be swappable too (at least in super robot mode) - sort of like how that idea works in Webdiver.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Terri-Bull" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #268 - Call Me 2020
"Call Me 2020"
Posted: Monday, January 18th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Prime Beast Hunters cyberverse Predaking" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers - Generations Select - Voyager - Sandstorm - Loose" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations 30th Anniversary Sandstorm" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers 2016 Generations Titans Return Deluxe Class SKULLSMASHER & GRAX!" on EBAY
Buy "Takara TOMY Transformers Legends LG32 Chromedome Headmasters Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations 30th Anniversary SANDSTORM Voyager NEW" on EBAY