Seibertron.com Feature Article: To Parts-form or Not to Parts-form

Seibertron.com Feature Article: To Parts-form or Not to Parts-form

Thursday, April 24th, 2014 5:25am CDT

Categories: Toy News, Site Articles
Posted by: Burn   Views: 23,995

One of the things I saw being discussed in the Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus thread was the fors and againsts of parts-forming.

For those unsure of what parts-forming is, it requires one or more parts to be removed from a Transformers mode and reattached to create the other mode. G1 figures are the main example, from having to attach fists (Seekers, Optimus Prime), a complete disassemble and reassemble (Omega Supreme) or feet, fists and chest pieces (gestalts).

Modern engineering aims to do away with parts-forming with all the necessary bits and pieces incorporated into the final toy with weapons often being the only loose parts. Some people like that, parents especially would like it as it means fewer parts to lose.

But if I were to pick a camp, I'd be pro-part-former. Why? Maybe nostalgic reasons, though I do not like modern gestalts where they try to incorporate everything. A few add-on bits wouldn't go astray. Which is the main reason I like them. Sometimes, not having things incorporated can make the figure better.

To illustrate my point, I present to you a semi-modern figure that is part-former, but in my opinion, one of the best figures of all time.

Robots in Disguise Optimus Prime

Here we have his alt mode, ignoring the chest part hiding there on the back, we have a good looking fire engine

Transformers News: Parts-forming ... Yay or Nay?

And then comes the fun part. Taking him apart!

Transformers News: Parts-forming ... Yay or Nay?

Not a very practical mode of transport that's for sure! But look what it becomes.

Transformers News: Parts-forming ... Yay or Nay?

A very basic Optimus Prime robot mode. But what about the rest of his parts?

Transformers News: Parts-forming ... Yay or Nay? Transformers News: Parts-forming ... Yay or Nay?

Transformers News: Parts-forming ... Yay or Nay?

And this is where it gets fun.

Remove the ladder/upper chest/head from the trailer. Slide the chest of the smaller robot up to cover up its head, the fold the large robot chest over the top of it with the ladder hanging down behind. The forward part of trailer comes apart and unfolds to form larger forearms which fit over the smaller robots forearms. The middle part of the trailer comes apart and clips over the shoulder of the smaller robot. The rear part of the trailer also comes apart with panels on top opening up to clip over the smaller robots feet.

And all of that, results in this.

Transformers News: Parts-forming ... Yay or Nay?

Sure there's a lot of cheating involved, but what makes a good figure?

Good looking alt mode - Check!
Good looking robot mode - Check!

And let's not forget, if you have RiD Ultra Magnus, you can do this!

Transformers News: Parts-forming ... Yay or Nay?

So in this particular case, is parts-forming such a bad thing? For me, no, it's not. What do the rest of you think?
(And feel free to use the Seibertron.com Toy Galleries for example images!)

Credit(s): Burn

Re: Seibertron.com Feature Article: To Parts-form or Not to Parts-form (1568146)
Posted by No One on April 24th, 2014 @ 5:29am CDT
This is part-forming I can live with, because the pieces all incorporate into the alt mode. I do not care for G1 combiners because of the leftover pieces. Give me Railracer and Magnaboss any day.
Re: Seibertron.com Feature Article: To Parts-form or Not to Parts-form (1568151)
Posted by TimothyR on April 24th, 2014 @ 5:52am CDT
i love parts formers.. i think it's fun.. i see it as add on armor and it makes it even more of a puzzle.. i don't think there's a single parts former that i have a problem with.

same goes for the G1 combiners.. the add on parts REALLY help complete the look.. and i mean, hasbro has decided to shy away from doing things like the for the more recent combiners and we've all seen how that turned out.. but when a 3rd party creates add on parts (well, and a proper sized body robot) we've seen how much better combiners can be with add on parts.

if the extra parts are incorporated in some way with the alt mode(s) that's cool too, but it's not necessary and doesn't really sway my opinion one way or the other.. i get annoyed when people score a figure lower because it has parts that could get lost.. it's easy DON'T LOSE THE PART lol.. humans invented these neat little things called ziplock bags!

as far as MP-22 goes.. i couldn't care less if it was a parts former or a normal transformer, just as long as both modes are accurate.. which they are.
Re: Seibertron.com Feature Article: To Parts-form or Not to Parts-form (1568152)
Posted by MightyMagnus78 on April 24th, 2014 @ 5:58am CDT
I'm not a big fan of parts forming to be honest, just like shell-formers its lazy engineering. Although I don't really consider the examples you've given to be true parts formers. It's perfectly acceptable for a bot combine with his trailer to form robot 'armour' or an enlarged robot mode or to have removable weapons which can be reattached.

Look I love G1, but that's where parts forming should stay, toy engineering has moved on significantly since the seventies. Would a G1 Omega Supreme really be acceptable if it was presented as a brand new TF today? I'm not sure.

To give you an example, I recently gave my son my original G1 Constructicon's, not 100% complete but all the parts were there to at least combine them to Devastator. In the time that he has had them the hip pegs have broken and he's lost the arms, so no more Devi.

Some parts formers are great, some are OK but others are hopeless, however all will be considerably effected once key components become lost, broken or stolen.
Re: Seibertron.com Feature Article: To Parts-form or Not to Parts-form (1568154)
Posted by Burn on April 24th, 2014 @ 6:07am CDT
MightyMagnus78 wrote:Would an Omega supreme really be acceptable if it was presented as a brand new TF today? I'm not sure.

One of the most popular releases in recent years. :wink:

Re: Seibertron.com Feature Article: To Parts-form or Not to Parts-form (1568155)
Posted by MightyMagnus78 on April 24th, 2014 @ 6:10am CDT
Burn wrote:

One of the most popular releases in recent years. :wink:

#-o I meant G1 OS. Have now fixed.
Re: Seibertron.com Feature Article: To Parts-form or Not to Parts-form (1568157)
Posted by Burn on April 24th, 2014 @ 6:15am CDT

I will agree with you about the Constructicons, relying on those little pieces of plastic to keep them together wasn't a good idea, but it was early technology. Even the Scramble City combiners could still have problems with their neck pieces.
Re: Seibertron.com Feature Article: To Parts-form or Not to Parts-form (1568161)
Posted by DecepticonFinishline on April 24th, 2014 @ 6:24am CDT
I'm all about parts-forming if-and-only-if it'a incorporated into each mode. Something like the "Rage Of Hercules" where you can pretend to incorporate parts into all modes, but not really... That bugs me. But something like RiD Prime is pure genius.
Re: Seibertron.com Feature Article: To Parts-form or Not to Parts-form (1568162)
Posted by fenrir72 on April 24th, 2014 @ 6:26am CDT
RID Prime iirc was also designed by the guy who did Starsaber. And it's awesomeness shows. :lol:
Re: Seibertron.com Feature Article: To Parts-form or Not to Parts-form (1568163)
Posted by MightyMagnus78 on April 24th, 2014 @ 6:33am CDT
Burn wrote:Oh I know what you meant, but concept wise, there's not much difference between Original and Modern Omega Supremes.

So I guess the conclusion here is then: Parts formers are OK so long as they are executed properly?
Re: Seibertron.com Feature Article: To Parts-form or Not to Parts-form (1568166)
Posted by Burn on April 24th, 2014 @ 7:08am CDT
MightyMagnus78 wrote:OK, I get it now. I'll be honest and say I don't own that Energon(?) OS mould, so can't really comment. However I bet he doesn't have stupid yellow clips to hold him together?

No yellow clips, but he does have his flaws, primarily trying to get him to stand.

If you were to do a direct comparison between them, they probably would have roughly the same amount of pros and cons. Might be an idea for a future article, comparing old with new.
Re: Seibertron.com Feature Article: To Parts-form or Not to Parts-form (1568168)
Posted by MightyMagnus78 on April 24th, 2014 @ 7:13am CDT
Burn wrote:

Why stop there. You should do your own thrilling thirty but with a 'then' and 'now' comparison?
Re: Seibertron.com Feature Article: To Parts-form or Not to Parts-form (1568169)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on April 24th, 2014 @ 7:14am CDT
I'm fine with partsforming, as long as all the parts get used in both modes. As it's been said, the gestalts are sometimes annoying, because in the individual robot or vehicle modes of the components there's gestalt parts left over. I haven't seen it with Generations or the movie lines, but some 3rd party companies are guilty of this as well.
Re: Seibertron.com Feature Article: To Parts-form or Not to Parts-form (1568177)
Posted by Burn on April 24th, 2014 @ 7:23am CDT
MightyMagnus78 wrote:That's a fantastic idea, and with the 30th anniversary coming up it's probably the right time to do it.

Sounds like too much work.

I'll get Va'al to do it. Image
Re: Seibertron.com Feature Article: To Parts-form or Not to Parts-form (1568183)
Posted by MightyMagnus78 on April 24th, 2014 @ 7:34am CDT
Burn wrote:

Sounds like too much work.

I'll get Va'al to do it. Image

:lol:
Re: Seibertron.com Feature Article: To Parts-form or Not to Parts-form (1568197)
Posted by Deathscythetransform on April 24th, 2014 @ 8:18am CDT
I'M a YAY on this: part forming is great and in a lot of cases, can improve the posability of the figure

I'll get that parforming masterpiece magnus and enjoy the heck out of him!
Re: Seibertron.com Feature Article: To Parts-form or Not to Parts-form (1568199)
Posted by Doubledealer93 on April 24th, 2014 @ 8:26am CDT
im fine with parts-forming as long as the parts do something for the alt mode and robot mode. if they help one mode but not the other that just irks me.
Re: Seibertron.com Feature Article: To Parts-form or Not to Parts-form (1568200)
Posted by joevill on April 24th, 2014 @ 8:30am CDT
Parts-forming is probably hated because if you loose an "essential" piece, the figure will probably more likely look weird. I've always been a big fan of parts-forming figures! Maybe it is just the nostalgia or perhaps the thrill of going through friend's old childhood toy boxes, swap meets, eBay and now Botcon to complete a figure. I am all for it... so YAY!
Re: Seibertron.com Feature Article: To Parts-form or Not to Parts-form (1568201)
Posted by Va'al on April 24th, 2014 @ 8:31am CDT
MightyMagnus78 wrote:
Burn wrote:

Sounds like too much work.

I'll get Va'al to do it. Image

:lol:

We can talk about this.. :-?
Re: Seibertron.com Feature Article: To Parts-form or Not to Parts-form (1568202)
Posted by bvzxa on April 24th, 2014 @ 8:31am CDT
Fire Convoy/RID Optimus Prime gets a pass because prior to 2000 he was various animals or about 5 years.

I think during the time of his release we overlooked the whole parts forming issue for him and Ultra Magnus. Armada Optimus Prime is a slightly different case since his parts forming was switching pants. Cybertron Optimus Prime I think takes the cake and the gold because he has so many homages going on at once again you forget his full mode is also parts forming.

I have no problem with parts forming so as long that is the accurate way of creating the toy from it's show, comic, or design.
Re: Seibertron.com Feature Article: To Parts-form or Not to Parts-form (1568206)
Posted by No One on April 24th, 2014 @ 8:43am CDT
I thought the description for MP Ultra Magnus stated that it can be transformed without parts-forming, while also having the cab able to transform into the smaller robot separately if desired?

Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #274 - Pulse Fan Fest 2021
"Pulse Fan Fest 2021"
Posted: Sunday, April 18th, 2021

Buy "Hasbro Transformers Retro Reissue G1 Headmasters Highbrow (F1024)" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro F1027 Transformers Generations Retro Headmaster Skullcruncher Collectible" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Super7 GOLD ARMOR BUMBLEBEE ReAction Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Windcharger 100% Complete Legends Generations - Power of the Primes Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "Attacktix Battle Figure Game Transformers Star Wars Optimus Prime Darth Vader" on EBAY
Buy "Super 7 Transformers Reaction 2020 Target Exclusive Gold Armor Bumblebee Figure" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS: WRECK-GAR....COMPLETE!!" on EBAY