Seibertron.com Transformers Photo Challenge # 7: Film Noir

Saturday, November 7th, 2015 3:36am CST

Categories: Site Articles, Transtopia, Contests
Posted by: carytheone   Views: 49,125

Howdy fellow Seibertronians and welcome to this week's episode of the Transformers weekly photo challenge.

This week we will be exploring the themes and camera techniques of Film Noir. There are a few ground rules to follow this week. All submissions will need to be in black and white and use low-key lighting.

I want to step out of my comfort zone and challenge both myself and you. This is a technique that I'm not very familiar with, so I've opened a post in the Focal Point: Level Up Those Photography Skills thread and can be found by clicking here. Let's use that thread to discuss tips and technique and come back here to post the final result.

I'm a little late on getting this week's challenge post up, so this challenge will run from 11/04/15 to 11/13/15.

Submission post use TFPC #7 in the subject line. Non submitters, please feel free to join the conversation.

And remember to keep your browsers pointed to Seibertron.com for the latest Transformer news, the largest galleries and the most fun you can have this side of a space bridge.

Credit(s): carytheone

This article was last modified on Sunday, November 8th, 2015 3:31am CST

Re: Seibertron.com Transformers Photo Challenge # 7: Film Noir (1739956)
Posted by Susha on November 8th, 2015 @ 10:29am CST
so as i look into the low key lighting
here's some movies which I didn't consider noirs and that are game.

- bladerunner
- the usual suspects (not the unusual suspects, but the movie tarantino waz inspired from)
.. but does this make the unusual suspects a noir too?
- Once upon a time in America.. and the godfather. I know they started a genre of their own but .. well...

do we need a more consistent definition of what is considered noir or not for us or can we just leave it at the broadest possible definition? lets just hope no one advocates for jurassic park to be on the list... :HEADHURTS:
Re: Seibertron.com Transformers Photo Challenge # 7: Film Noir (1739957)
Posted by carytheone on November 8th, 2015 @ 10:35am CST
Susha wrote:so as i look into the low key lighting
here's some movies which I didn't consider noirs and that are game.

- bladerunner
.. but does this make the unusual suspects a noir too?

I'm sorry, I forgot to be more specific; just the style and themes of old B&W "noir" films. I was aiming this one to more of a technical challenge then the previous ones.

You are welcome to recreate one, but I wasn't asking for that. There is a really cool thread for recreating films with bots that can be found here.

I'll go update the original post.

During my research I was surprised to see that Bladerunner was considered a film noir or a sci-fi noir as Wikipedia called it. Definitely one of my favorite movies; maybe there is some subconscious logic behind all this. :-?
Re: Seibertron.com Transformers Photo Challenge # 7: Film Noir (1739967)
Posted by Susha on November 8th, 2015 @ 1:08pm CST
yeah i know the thread you speak of... and as I looked into this weeks photo at some point the two threads merged, and now I'm confused as to what is the precise difference between the two.

anyways i went and recreated a scene from a neo-noir (yep apparently we has dat 2..) but I still deem it to be game for this thread as the photo was taken with the low lightning technique.? :-?

here it is

anyways, i guess i'll go back to the top of the thread again.. and read it carefully this time
Re: Seibertron.com Transformers Photo Challenge # 7: Film Noir (1739972)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on November 8th, 2015 @ 1:59pm CST
I don't photograph my collection as much as I'd like to, but I couldn't resist trying my hand at a noir-esque photo op my favorite TF Femme Fatale.

image.jpeg

I played around with grainy effect; part of me hates it, but part of me loves how old-timey it makes the pic looked. So I ran with it. Also my iPhone doesn't have a great camera, especially after the image has been blown up a bit. But I dig it.
Re: Seibertron.com Transformers Photo Challenge # 7: Film Noir (1739980)
Posted by Susha on November 8th, 2015 @ 2:59pm CST
secondly they are small. i use an old bud good cannon ios but even with a smartphone it might not be easy to get a good portrait of a tf toy face. Sure is for me since my collection is mostly legends scale.
well good luck if any1 tries
Re: Seibertron.com Transformers Photo Challenge # 7: Film Noir (1740006)
Posted by carytheone on November 8th, 2015 @ 5:33pm CST
Susha wrote:hey just a thought about low lighting, i suppose all iconic images that come to mind are mostly portraits, just take marlon brandon in apocalypse now as an example. I think this might be tricky with tf toys. Firstly becoz strange angles make for strange shadows and it might be harder to actually see a face inbetween the rough edges and all those shadows.
well good luck if any1 tries
Challenge accepted! Mini challenges are something I've been thinking about for some time now and you nailed it on the head. So this week's mini challenge is brought to you by fellow Seibertroinian Susha.

I'll start things off.

I love the smell of fusion singe in the morning; smells like victory!

Maximo, :APPLAUSE: loving it, all of it. If you add some smoke I'll shut this challenge down ;)
Re: Seibertron.com Transformers Photo Challenge # 7: Film Noir (1740049)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on November 8th, 2015 @ 7:56pm CST
CarryTheOne wrote:Maximo, :APPLAUSE: loving ot, all of it. If you add some smoke I'll shut this challenge down. ;)

If you say so... :lol:

image.jpeg

Re: Seibertron.com Transformers Photo Challenge # 7: Film Noir (1740088)
Posted by Susha on November 8th, 2015 @ 8:58pm CST
carytheone wrote:BTW Susha, I'm loving that sharp shadow Grims is casting. Mind clueing me in on what movie that is!

nice portrait for megs! infact submit to the necrobot, if the living get a statue shouldn't the dead bots atleast get a portrait nah? :D :roll:

lov' the smell of napalm in da mornin, dat would be apocalypse now:)

and about my clue, how about this. 'once a smoker, always a smoker.'
Re: Seibertron.com Transformers Photo Challenge # 7: Film Noir (1740166)
Posted by Susha on November 9th, 2015 @ 7:42am CST
so about the low lighting.

have you guys found an ideal angle for the light? For me it seemed to work better when the light was at the same hight of the figures. (0 degree angle?) well..the low lighting effect, but I had trouble getting the right focus. This seemed less so when the light was coming from higher up, but that made less of a low lighting effect.
I suppose it might have to do with my camera or maybe the set. I'm assuming a black background would help? I don't have the space but it would be nice to put together what we learned?

ciao
Re: Seibertron.com Transformers Photo Challenge # 7: Film Noir (1740174)
Posted by carytheone on November 9th, 2015 @ 8:27am CST
Susha wrote:so about the low lighting.

ciao

I've got one light parallel and to the left and one above and behind the figure. I'm still experimenting. As far as focus goes, I'm using manual focus, except for the portrait of Megatron. I used my cellphone and just a single light level with him.

I opened a post in another thread to discuss and share technique. You can find that thread here.

lov' the smell of napalm in da mornin, dat would be apocalypse now:)
I wasn't trying to recreate anything here, just goofing around because you referenced the movie.

Nemesis Maximo wrote:Although I don't think it looks as good as the original. The smoke doesn't have the same grain effect.
I agree and stand corrected. Great shot though, definitely one of my favorites to come out of the TFPC.
Re: Seibertron.com Transformers Photo Challenge # 7: Film Noir (1740198)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on November 9th, 2015 @ 10:57am CST
Re: Seibertron.com Transformers Photo Challenge # 7: Film Noir (1740253)
Posted by donny1975 on November 9th, 2015 @ 4:19pm CST
Hey hey peeps congrats to everyone and their very creative photos, very entertaining! :APPLAUSE:
Re: Seibertron.com Transformers Photo Challenge # 7: Film Noir (1740261)
Posted by carytheone on November 9th, 2015 @ 4:44pm CST
DONNY! Been missing ya; I was just wondering about you yesterday.

Got time to play this week?
Re: Seibertron.com Transformers Photo Challenge # 7: Film Noir (1740284)
Posted by donny1975 on November 9th, 2015 @ 5:59pm CST
carytheone wrote:DONNY! Been missing ya; I was just wondering about you yesterday.

Got time to play this week?

Hey Buuuuhdee!

Yeah I got some time, I actually have been getting my fix of TF goodness through Instagram for the past few weeks...decided to see how my Seibertron peeps are doing coz I miss ya(s) too!
Re: Seibertron.com Transformers Photo Challenge # 7: Film Noir (1740334)
Posted by Susha on November 9th, 2015 @ 8:54pm CST
well i gave it another try.. tries..
here;

Re: Seibertron.com Transformers Photo Challenge # 7: Film Noir (1740340)
Posted by carytheone on November 9th, 2015 @ 9:33pm CST
Nemesis Maximo wrote:I love your portrait of Megs there, Cary. I know the theme is noir and all, but what do you think about adding a little red just around his eyes to contrast the already great contrasts going on in that shot?
Thanks. How about some fake lens flare effects instead?

Re: Seibertron.com Transformers Photo Challenge # 7: Film Noir (1740342)
Posted by MagnusLabel on November 9th, 2015 @ 9:46pm CST
Let me take a selfie...
Re: Seibertron.com Transformers Photo Challenge # 7: Film Noir (1740361)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on November 9th, 2015 @ 11:32pm CST
carytheone wrote:
Thanks. How about some fake lens flare effects instead?

Magnifico! What app are you using? Is it iOS compatible?

Magnus, your selfie is so HD and lovely. And Susha, I totally dig that first pic with Blaster.
Re: Seibertron.com Transformers Photo Challenge # 7: Film Noir (1740416)
Posted by carytheone on November 10th, 2015 @ 9:01am CST
Nemesis Maximo wrote:Magnifico! What app are you using? Is it iOS compatible?
I used PicsArt on android. I'd be surprised if it wasn't on iOS. Someone only just clued me onto it yesterday.

I forgot, did you add that grain effect or was that just a product of your camera in low light?
Re: Seibertron.com Transformers Photo Challenge # 7: Film Noir (1740418)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on November 10th, 2015 @ 9:17am CST
carytheone wrote:
Nemesis Maximo wrote:Magnifico! What app are you using? Is it iOS compatible?

Both; my phone takes decent pics, but once they're blown up to the size you see, their resolution goes south. So I raised the sharpness, which also makes the grains more pronounced. I took it and ran, you know?

Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Chaos on Velocitron 5-Figure Pack" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #268 - Call Me 2020
"Call Me 2020"
Posted: Monday, January 18th, 2021

Buy "Transformers generations Combiner Wars Skywarp" on EBAY
Buy "Vortex Decepticon Transformers Generations Fall of Cybertron 2012 Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers RID Generations Combiner Wars Thundercracker Figure New" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Transformers Starscream Masterpiece MP-3 Figure New" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Headmaster Reissue Hardhead Chromedome Brainstorm Mindwipe Set of 4" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS LOT RHINOX SOUNDWAVE DOUBLEDEALER USA HASBRO" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Jazware Zoteki Battle On Cybertron Rare Hot Toy Collectible" on EBAY