Transformers News: Seibertron.com's spoilers and thoughts about Transformers: The Last Knight CinemaCon footage

Sunday, March 26th, 2017 11:13PM CDT

Category: Movie Related News
Posted by: Seibertron   Views: 50,635

As many of you know by now, a small group of us were treated to an amazing experience courtesy of Paramount, Michael Bay, Bay Films and IMAX. It was an amazing experience to literally sit right next to Michael Bay in his studio while he was going through his computer files to find clips from Transformers: The Last Knight that he wanted to show us. The experience seemed way too familiar, much like one of us going over to one of our friends houses to show each other Transformers from our collections or showing something other coveted prized possession.

(Side note: I did my best to keep my eye on the file names on his monitor for some massive spoiler, but unfortunately didn't see anything more revealing than the footage we were shown or that has been seen in trailers ... I tried though!)

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

Michael Bay casually revealed to us in his office that Steven Spielberg, the legend himself, was involved on some level with the story aspect of The Last Knight, which I don't think has happened since the first movie. We weren't told much about his involvement, which Bay brought up matter-of-factly, but I got the impression that Spielberg was involved at least during the process with the writers room on some level. For how long? I don't know, but it was nice to know that he was once again involved with the storyline aspect of the Transformers film franchise.

The footage we were shown opens in the middle of an epic battle during Medieval Times, waged by two opposing forces. Bayhem literally begins from the moment the movie starts. If it's going to be a film directed by Michael Bay, we might as well embrace the Bayhem and enjoy the ride. Earlier in the day, while we were at Bay Films, Michael Bay showed us some behind the scenes footage of this opening sequence that was really cool to see. There's a pivotal human character, none other than Merlin, who was rather entertaining and fun to watch. The dragon Transformer that was seen in previous trailers is simply massive and the scene where he is flying near the cliff has been completed more (such as a moment where his wing splashes into the water). The dragon Transformer is the secret weapon, or one of the weapons, used to turn the tide for the "good" guys during the initial battle. After the battle, we are shown the Knights of the Roundtable accompanied by the Cybertronian Knights.

The entire Medieval Times battle sequence is some of what Michael Bay does best ... massive epic battles, beautiful scenery, all-out action, and humor. Wait until you see some of these shots on IMAX screens. It was a spectacular setup for what looks to be an extremely exciting movie. If anything, The Last Knight appears to be the ultimate culmination of Michael Bay working on the Transformers franchise for at least 12 years.

One of the things I'm most excited about that Bay stressed multiple times, is that this is a real 3D movie. The Last Knight was shot with specialized 3D cameras. He stressed adamantly that the best way to see The Last Knight will be in 3D on an IMAX screen. This is the real deal, unlike other Hollywood films where the 3D experience is done in post production. The film has been made with the IMAX 3D viewing experience in mind. He sold me on the idea while we were at Bay Films, especially after seeing this sneak peek at IMAX Headquarters. The scenes we were shown looked beautiful in a very dramatic and eye-catching way that fans should come to expect from Michael Bay.

A group of 4 boys who are at the destroyed Football Stadium, transitions to Canopy protecting Izabella (Isabela Moner) and her friends, Canopy is all that Izabella has left after her family was lost during the Chicago battle, Bumblebee and Cade saves the day. Canopy is a tertiary character who seemed to literally transform into a junk covered "canopy", or shelter, to provide protection to Izabella and the boys from the Movie Trailer exploring the destroyed football stadium. Transformers seem to be a regular thing on Earth now.

We also got to see a few extended scenes between Cade and Grimlock at the Junkyard, which I presume is owned by or worked at by Cade. If you were hoping to see Grimlock be the Autobot Leader type we all know him to rightfully be, it doesn't seem that we will be seeing him in that capacity here, at least not in the scenes that I saw. A new human friend or co-worker of Cade is introduced to us, who I think is played by Jerrod Carmichael, though I didn't get his character's name. I rather liked his character, he seemed to provide a way for the audience to connect more with what has been thrust upon these characters. A very tense and action packed chase scene unfolds with Cade, Izabella, and Jerrod Carmichael's character being chased by flying drones that look kind of like miniature Tie Fighters. I don't know or can't remember if these are TRF drones, but I'm assuming they are. At some point they encounter Cogman in an elevator, while trying to escape the drones. A drone attacks Cade, smashing him out of the glass window in the elevator, which leads to some pretty tense moments as our hero attempts to survive his fall. Eventually on the ground, Cogman introduces himself, Crosshairs and Bumblebee enter the scene, Cogman shows that he's pretty badass despite being shorter than an average human.

When Bumblebee and Cade Yeager approach the castle (house?) of Sir Edmond Burton (Anthony Hopkins), they are "accidentally" attacked by an old, senile tank Transformer from WWI era. After brief introductions and an apology from Sir Edmond Burton, Burton says something along the lines of "You want to know why the Transformers keep coming to Earth, don't you?" Implying that he seems to know why. Shortly thereafter, a much reluctant Vivian Wembley (Laura Haddock) is brought to Burton's castle via Hot Rod.

Here's a teaser for you guys that I'm sure longtime Transformers fans will appreciate, despite the different twist: so apparently Cogman is a Headmaster. Anthony Hopkins even called him so in the footage we saw. Michael Bay told us at Bay Studios that he was a Headmaster, and when asked to clarify, Bay said that Cogman rips off other Transformers heads and then becomes their head. I'm not sure if this was something I am supposed to talk about or not, but I think it's something that Transformers fans will really appreciate, especially with the current popularity of Titans Return. So, a slightly different twist on the concept, but a Headmaster nonetheless apparently. We didn't see footage of Cogman actually doing this, however. Voice actor for Cogman is the butler guy from Dowton Abbey.

Megatron and the Decepticons were missing from the footage we saw, minus their appearances in some carryover scenes from previous TLK trailers that were shown at the end of this footage montage. I suggested to Michael Bay that the footage be altered to include Megatron, so hopefully the final version of this CinemaCon footage will include some of Megatron and/or the Decepticons. However, if it doesn't, I'm assuming that is intentional because of the current marketing spin shown in this lithograph poster we received that includes the saying "Every Legend Has Its Secret", and shows the symbol from the sword melting into the Decepticon symbol. As with previous Transformers films, I'm assuming "The Last Knight" will have an alternate meaning than what most of us suspect or it will have a double meaning alluding to multiple plot scenarios.

We got to see more scenes of the Ospreys, underwater scenes, shots of the "horns" (which is what they were referred to in concept art we were shown by Bay), and more. I don't know what everything is leading toward. I can't get over that I saw 20 minutes of various clips and yet, thanks to some clever editing, the plot wasn't revealed. I don't know what the horns are, I don't know what's going on with the moon, I don't know what's dragging through Earth's atmosphere and, most importantly, I still don't know what the heck is going on with Optimus Prime or what the "Last Knight" refers to specifically.

As I said earlier, the movie seems very "big", very epic. The stakes seem much higher in this film. It's all building to something really big, which will serve as a launchpad for the Transformers Movie universe going forward. We've only got less than 3 months to go before Transformers The Last Knight opens in theaters on June 23rd so all shall be revealed very soon!
Re: Seibertron.com's spoilers and thoughts about Transformers: The Last Knight CinemaCon footage (1869616)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on March 26th, 2017 @ 11:24pm CDT
Wow, talk about an info dump! So much cool stuff!
Re: Seibertron.com's spoilers and thoughts about Transformers: The Last Knight CinemaCon footage (1869618)
Posted by Seibertron on March 26th, 2017 @ 11:27pm CDT
And there's so much more that I want to say but I'm not sure if I can or not. If you guys have questions, please let me know and I'll do my best to answer as best as I can. I'll update the news story accordingly tomorrow with any new tidbits I can reveal via Q&A with you guys.
Re: Seibertron.com's spoilers and thoughts about Transformers: The Last Knight CinemaCon footage (1869619)
Posted by Nexus Knight on March 26th, 2017 @ 11:31pm CDT

Also, Cogman works like Animated Headmaster did, from what I understand. Which I am completely okay with. ;)^
Re: Seibertron.com's spoilers and thoughts about Transformers: The Last Knight CinemaCon footage (1869625)
Posted by DocBot89 on March 26th, 2017 @ 11:50pm CDT
Re: Seibertron.com's spoilers and thoughts about Transformers: The Last Knight CinemaCon footage (1869626)
Posted by fenrir72 on March 26th, 2017 @ 11:50pm CDT
Re: Seibertron.com's spoilers and thoughts about Transformers: The Last Knight CinemaCon footage (1869628)
Posted by Seibertron on March 26th, 2017 @ 11:56pm CDT
Last week, Paramount gave us a very nice lithograph poster for the Transformers: The Last Knight. The lithograph features the text "Every Legend Hides A Secret", further alluding that there's more than meets the eye in the Last Knight. Due to the shiny material of the lithograph, it was a little difficult to scan in, but I think I was able to lighten it up enough for all of you to see.

As you can see in the image above, the scene or engraving shown on a golden shield shows the "thing" surrounding the Earth, as well as the Earth alone above the 3 head dragon (Dragonstorm), which is above a Decepticon symbol flanked by Optimus Prime and presumably Megatron, though it is difficult to tell for sure, and some various Transformers of the same form.

What is this alluding to? What are your thoughts? Share your ideas on our forums here.
Re: Seibertron.com's spoilers and thoughts about Transformers: The Last Knight CinemaCon footage (1869631)
Posted by Seibertron on March 27th, 2017 @ 12:07am CDT
fenrir72 wrote:The King Arthur aspect, is that like a nod to the time travel episode in Season 2 cartoon?

I think it's more a coincidence than anything, though it'd be really interesting if that episode actually somehow inspired all of this. Trying to put my "I pretend to know about things other than Transformers" shoes on, I've been reading a novel from one of my favorite series, the "Orion" series by Ben Bova, his 6th book which came out before anything about the Last Knight came about, has to do with a time traveler of sorts, Merlin, and King Arthur as well, so ironically similar, but I think that's just the point of having those characters in any sort of story that impacts modern day. A handy coincidence I believe is all it is.

Considering that King Arthur and Merlin do not actually show up in the G1 episode "A Decepticon Raider in King Arthur's Court", I think it's even more of a stretch to say that The Last Knight is in any way influenced by that not-so-great G1 episode.
Re: Seibertron.com's spoilers and thoughts about Transformers: The Last Knight CinemaCon footage (1869634)
Posted by Seibertron on March 27th, 2017 @ 12:21am CDT
DocBot89 wrote:When you say that Canopy is a tertiary character does that mean that he is pretty much a throw-away and dies immediately?

:michaelbay:
Re: Seibertron.com's spoilers and thoughts about Transformers: The Last Knight CinemaCon footage (1869636)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 27th, 2017 @ 12:28am CDT
Nexus Knight wrote:Merlin? Merlin? MERLIN???? Ah, slaggin', crap. Please don't mix magic in. Please don't have magic mixed in my favorite sci-fi franchise...
There's been magic displayed in Transformers fiction before.

Alternately:

"The science of GoBotron would appear as magic to you humans." -- Cy-Kill. :P
Re: Seibertron.com's spoilers and thoughts about Transformers: The Last Knight CinemaCon footage (1869639)
Posted by Burn on March 27th, 2017 @ 12:40am CDT
The closest I'll get to Imax is Vmax and after watching AOE at Vmax I'm reluctant to do it again.

BUT ... I am tempted to try it again, even going for the 3D experience which can get annoying with glasses.

Thanks for making it difficult to decide Ryan. :-P
Re: Seibertron.com's spoilers and thoughts about Transformers: The Last Knight CinemaCon footage (1869641)
Posted by Nexus Knight on March 27th, 2017 @ 12:58am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
There's been magic displayed in Transformers fiction before.

Alternately:

"The science of GoBotron would appear as magic to you humans." -- Cy-Kill. :P

Really? I can't recall when there was. Though, I could have just not seen it, so if you can point it out, I'll change my statement.

Of course, I'll take Thor's (or Cy-kill's :-P ) brand that magic is science. Hell, the tablet I'm using would have had me put to the stake 1000 years ago. I have always had the idea that if magic can be explained away with logical explanations, it's not actually magic. I'm extremely against the concept of magic (for reasons that aren't appropriate for a TF forum), so I am a little worried about it being in a TF franchise.
Re: Seibertron.com's spoilers and thoughts about Transformers: The Last Knight CinemaCon footage (1869656)
Posted by Ironhidensh on March 27th, 2017 @ 5:29am CDT
Deep inside me, buried under the cynical, grumpy old man, is the remains of the little boy who loves Transformers and desperately wants to get excited for this movie, but I just can't. :( I've been hurt too many times.

Though, not seeing it may not be an option, as my oldest son has expressed an interest in seeing it, and it has been placed before him as a reward option.

Also, I found this on Facebook this morning:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 4635291325

Re: Seibertron.com's spoilers and thoughts about Transformers: The Last Knight CinemaCon footage (1869662)
Posted by Burn on March 27th, 2017 @ 6:31am CDT
Ironhidensh wrote:I haven't seen this on the site anywhere. First look at movie Hotrod? Granted, I've been avoiding movie talk like a plauge, so this could very well be old news.

Yep, old news.
Re: Seibertron.com's spoilers and thoughts about Transformers: The Last Knight CinemaCon footage (1869663)
Posted by dragons on March 27th, 2017 @ 6:36am CDT
Poster is no poster it's giant floor mat
Re: Seibertron.com's spoilers and thoughts about Transformers: The Last Knight CinemaCon footage (1869664)
Posted by RNSrobot on March 27th, 2017 @ 6:38am CDT
Mm mm mm, that bay sausage tastes good.

Y'all been played.
Re: Seibertron.com's spoilers and thoughts about Transformers: The Last Knight CinemaCon footage (1869679)
Posted by Dr. Caelus on March 27th, 2017 @ 8:18am CDT
Nexus Knight wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
There's been magic displayed in Transformers fiction before.

Alternately:

"The science of GoBotron would appear as magic to you humans." -- Cy-Kill. :P

In the original cartoon, iirc:
- There's a Quintesson sorceror who uses magic straight up.
- An Atlantean princess transforms Seaspray into a flesh and blood person.
- Unicron repairs and completely physically alters the bodies of several Decepticons without touching them.
- The Matrix heavily alters Hot Rod into Rodimus with no apparent physical mechanism.
- The Matrix blows up Unicron through sheer force of goodness.
- The Matrix cures the galaxy spanning hate plague basically the same way.
- Starscream becomes a ghost.

Beast Era
- Starscream is still a ghost.
- The Vok are incorporeal floating skulls. At some point you just have to call it what it is.
- Megatron's master plan in Beast Machines was to devour enough souls to become a god.

Car Robots
- IIRC villain fed on energy of Earth's children through demonic ghost bats or something.
- Same villain was defeated by the collective love of Earth's children.

Unicron Trilogy
- IIRC Unicron is destroyed by Minicons using the Care Bear Stare.
- Starscream tries to become a god.

Transformers: Animated
- Prowl's entire character arc.

Dreamwave's Transformers
- Bludgeon and his cult perform a demonic ritual to summon The Fallen (and succeed).

Transformers: Aligned Continuity
- The Blood of Unicron (Dark Energob) makes Zombies.
- The Forge of Solus Prime makes/fixes things by beating on them. Smokescreen LITERALLY heals Optimus by smacking him with the hammer of a god.
- Unicron can make rock golems.
- Megatron is bound to Unicron's service after death, because of using Dark Energon.

IDW Comics
- D-Void, The Darkness, the Dead Universe, and almost everything associated with them
- Alternate Rewind isn't erased from the universe when they destroy the alternate Lost Light, which they explicitly state has no scientific explanation.
- The Enigma of Combination, whose source code (which presumably is the same as all of the other Primal relics) basically gives a person godlike power.
- Anything Perceptor says (according to Hot Rod).

I'm not 100% on all of those but that's what immediately popped into my head.
Re: Seibertron.com's spoilers and thoughts about Transformers: The Last Knight CinemaCon footage (1869687)
Posted by william-james88 on March 27th, 2017 @ 8:40am CDT
Ironhidensh wrote:https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 4635291325

Thanks for sending this in via e-mail just in case, but we posted it last week, there was a whole bunch of motion posters and hot rod was one of em

Re: Seibertron.com's spoilers and thoughts about Transformers: The Last Knight CinemaCon footage (1869689)
Posted by Nexus Knight on March 27th, 2017 @ 9:00am CDT
Caelus wrote:
Nexus Knight wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
There's been magic displayed in Transformers fiction before.

Alternately:

"The science of GoBotron would appear as magic to you humans." -- Cy-Kill. :P

In the original cartoon, iirc:
- There's a Quintesson sorceror who uses magic straight up.
- An Atlantean princess transforms Seaspray into a flesh and blood person.
- The Matrix blows up Unicron through sheer force of goodness.
- The Matrix cures the galaxy spanning hate plague basically the same way.
- Starscream becomes a ghost.

Beast Era
- Starscream is still a ghost.

Car Robots
- Same villain was defeated by the collective love of Earth's children.

Unicron Trilogy
- IIRC Unicron is destroyed by Minicons using the Care Bear Stare.
- Starscream tries to become a god.

Transformers: Animated
- Prowl's entire character arc.

Dreamwave's Transformers

Transformers: Aligned Continuity
- The Blood of Unicron (Dark Energob) makes Zombies.
- Unicron can make rock golems.

IDW Comics
- Anything Perceptor says (according to Hot Rod).

I'm not 100% on all of those but that's what immediately popped into my head.

Maybe I'm overworrying, but hopefully the movie won't be ruined by it (at least, personally).
Re: Seibertron.com's spoilers and thoughts about Transformers: The Last Knight CinemaCon footage (1869693)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 27th, 2017 @ 9:19am CDT
Nexus Knight wrote:Maybe it's how I view "magic" as being, but many of these I don't consider to be so. I'm like my family, they have to outright state it as so for us to consider it magical. But several of these (like the Quintossen sorcerer, which I'd forgotten about) are on that fence, so I take back what I said. Though, would point out, Starscream was told to have a spark defect, which is why it's indestructible.
Yeah, I wouldn't consider most of those examples in that list to be magic, but instead more of hard sci-fi or alien nature. The Quintesson sorcerer definitely counts, though, as does the Golden One outright using magic incantations to cast spell attacks against said sorcerer, all of which happened in the G1 cartoon episode "Madman's Paradise".

Heh, in fact, I just found out that the Wiki has a page for Magic.
Re: Seibertron.com's spoilers and thoughts about Transformers: The Last Knight CinemaCon footage (1869699)
Posted by Giant Purple Griffin on March 27th, 2017 @ 9:47am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:Another example of pure magic from the G1 cartoon would be from the episode "A Decepticon Raider in King Arthur's Court", in which a wizard uses a magic spell to recharge the power-drained Autobots with lightning.

Even though his name is Beorht, that wizard is basically Merlin anyway.

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Armada Megatron Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Skytread" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #225 - The Overexposure of Bumblebee
"The Overexposure of Bumblebee"
Posted: Sunday, June 16th, 2019

Buy "Transformers Siege War for Cybertron Sideswipe action figure Deluxe NIB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Armada BTR Hot Shot with JOLT Mini Con MISB" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS BOTBOTS SERIES 1 SKILLZ PUNK A2" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS BOTBOTS SERIES 1 SIPPY SLURPS A2" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS BOTBOTS SERIES 1 LOLLY LICKS A2" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS BOTBOTS SERIES 1 KING TOOTS A2" on EBAY
Buy "TFC TOYS HERCULES DR. CRANK FIGURE COMPLETE 2ND RELEASE TRANSFORMERS DEVASTATOR" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers BOTBOTS The Plop Father, Sugar Shocks Series 1" on EBAY